Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

bobjr posted:

Now I want to see John Madden announcing over a zombie broadcast.

“Well, if they don’t want to become zombies, they’re gonna have to avoid getting bit, Joe.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

It's a real thing where fungal cells are so similar to animal cells that it's difficult to make any medication that won't also harm the host. We have antifungal meds but even moderate antifungal treatment requires constant monitoring to make sure it's not doing serious damage to your internal organs. Treatment for an infection as invasive as cordyceps would essentially be lethal to the host.

All that aside, don't think too hard about the realism of the zombies. While the medication thing is a real-world issue, they are still mostly a fantasy concept.

Yeah I'm not dwelling on it, my first question was if it's just how it is here accept it, that's totally fine. My thought was I remember being given some cream for athlete's foot in middle school or whatever, which I erroneously extrapolated to thinking we knew the cool tricks for fixing fungal problems if we needed. They won't even let us us eat moldy bread -- I should've known it wasn't a solved problem.

So what's the deal with these mushroom seeds I bought online, will they grow portabellas in my stomach or not? I know from experience you can't grow sunflowers that way, even if you tan

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Is the spoiler thread more fun? I haven't checked it because I've never finished the second game (doing a new playthrough). This thread is just a lot of complaining, really.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

spankmeister posted:

Is the spoiler thread more fun? I haven't checked it because I've never finished the second game (doing a new playthrough). This thread is just a lot of complaining, really.

You will be immediately spoiled on both games instantly if you go into the spoiler thread.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spankmeister posted:

The only difference is that it also has complaints about things that haven’t happened in the show yet.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
The spoiler thread will spoil you on the second game and if you never played it I 100% recommend avoiding it. Either play part 2 or avoid spoilers until season 2 of the show. Personally I think the last of us part 2 is one of the best games of all time so I recommend playing it, but if I can't then avoid spoilers.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thank you for the warnings. I have avoided the spoiler thread specifically because I hadn't finished the second game yet. I'll avoid it until I do. Which will absolutely be after season 1 of the show finishes with the glacial pace I play games sometimes lol. I did already get to the part where the thing happens so that won't be a spoiler.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Khanstant posted:

Unless they dive into another set of characters or plots, I'm not sure what this would look like or purpose it serves? I would assume things are bad in those countries just like what we are shown... except in different languages sometimes?

There's (seemingly) a functional US government so I'd at least be interested to know what it looks like abroad
Things like Train to Busan are focused on a very specific location, but this one isn't. That's all.

Just think of 28 days later, other countries do wonder what's going on around the rest of the world ESPECIALLY if a government is shown to exist. Is FEDRA all that is left when it comes to governmental organisations? Did Madagascar survive? I dunno if I lived in that situation I'd at least be like "maybe it's better somewhere else"

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 25, 2023

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The spoiler thread is maybe 5% more pleasant than this one. I’d say this is due to having a filter to keep out the people who are like fundamentally uninterested in the premise of the show but still watch it. I mean, they’re still there for some reason, but there’s fewer. You’re not missing a whole lot.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah the spoiler thread is pretty positive overall and seems to like the show a lot more than this thread. It's just full of open discussion of both games.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
There are 2 threads? Does the other thread hypthosize on how overweight nerds would survive a hypothetical situation where people were taken over by a fungus and/or virus/mutation/magic/Obama?

Never mind, I'll check it out myself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I talk about ray guns and bicycle dragoons exclusively in this thread.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Xiahou Dun posted:

You’re vastly overestimating how effective anti-fungals are while also underestimating how hard it is to actually find or create reliable anti-fungals. They are legit one of the harder things modern medicine still has to tangle with. There are still loads of problems with this as a premise from a realism perspective, it’s a show about zombies, but a fungus is legit one of the “hardest” sci fi reasons to have a rapidly spreading plague of zombies.

It wouldn't matter anyway. America would be overrun instantly simply due to millions of morons screaming "Fake news! I ain't takin no mushroom vaccine!" and running towards the clickers to prove there's no infection and to get Twitter likes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Canada would also be overrun.

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1629217970630033416

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an article somewhere which outlines how and how fast different elements of modern life would fail or collapse in the event of some kind of apocalypse? Like, when does the power go, when does the internet go, phone lines, plumbing, how long before all food is bad, etc.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

roomtone posted:

Is there an article somewhere which outlines how and how fast different elements of modern life would fail or collapse in the event of some kind of apocalypse? Like, when does the power go, when does the internet go, phone lines, plumbing, how long before all food is bad, etc.

I don't have a handy citation or article but having worked at a power company monitoring facilities, you could expect power to fail after about 1-3 days if the employees keeping the lights on were killed/zombified.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'd expect it all to go kind of quick, other than food and some plumbing. It seems like if 1-2 things go wrong at a facility managing electricity for an entire region go bad, and aren't fixed, it cascades into failure for that entire region. Same with internet and likely because of the electricity. These things don't just operate by themselves. Phone lines, which I didn't even know we still had, would probably last as long as electricity, because when I think phone lines, I think phone towers, for cellular use.

I think a lot of that would be region dependent and some areas might even see employees out there working up until they get hit with the zombie pandemic. What's gonna happen is the big pandemic areas are hit but the smaller ones continue operating semi-normally, until one day, they too are hit, or the problems from the bigger areas spread into the smaller areas.

It wouldn't be as simple as: zombies happen, in 7 days, it's all gone.

Food would obviously stop coming, but what you have would last for awhile. And plumbing would last for quite a while, surprisingly. I've gone through several hurricanes, where power and all that is gone but the toilet never stops working, even weeks after the hurricane hit and power isn't restored, but once it stops somewhere, it for sure spreads elsewhere.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

XboxPants posted:

I think the teen girl's room that Ellie was in during this episode, in Jackson, had an oldschool colorful iMac. If they have hydro power, those computers would potentially still work, right? They don't decay that fast. Platter hard drives fail pretty quick I guess, but if gas can still work, the hard drives can, too.

Potentially they could even have a small-scale network going, just within the city, yeah? I don't see any reason why not. Think of all the fun neighborhood BBS arguments about what the best Richard Dreyfuss film is. And Napster was big by 2001, I bet there'd be a vibrant mp3 sharing scene! I guess Napster was working off centralized servers and might be hard to set up locally, but FTP is a thing.

Sincere hell yeah on this post

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Train to Busan, #Alive, and The Sadness are all great zombie poo poo and don't deal with anything going on outside of Korea/Korea/Taiwan

But I mean they all suck because just like the US and A, they don't discuss the rest of the world. hosed up.

Train to Busan derails in more ways than one in the third act

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
this thread sucks because you say one thing and 5 other goons jump on you with the worse bad faith reading of your post possible

the other thread is better if you dont give a f about spoilers

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

roomtone posted:

Sounds like you should check out The World Without Us.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 25, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Boris Galerkin posted:

this thread sucks because you say one thing and 5 other goons jump on you with the worse bad faith reading of your post possible

That’s almost every board on the site to be fair. It’s always the most tip-top bad faith, least charitable and reductive interpretation imaginable. Kinda depressing really.

The Spoiler thread is much more fun and chill, though yes, it will spoil the rest of the season and *everything* about S2 instantly so unless you’re like Boris here, who hasn’t played but doesn’t care about being spoiled, stay well away.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Boris Galerkin posted:

the other thread is better if you dont give a f about spoilers

You literally post about how you think all the characters are under baked and how you don't care about any of them, without being able to back up any of your claims, of course people are doing to dunk on your takes. You're not some poor persecuted poster.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
All tviv threads would be improved if the miserable fucks who watch tv shows they don’t even like simply found something else to do imo

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Honestly I didn't get the impression that this thread is that negative overall. People come in with hot takes, and of course that dominates conversation for a while, but I got the impression that was because most people were enjoying the show so the hot takes are controversial.

I guess that could make the thread negative, as in a lot of the discussion is people griping (about other posters' takes, if not the show), but I don't think it's all that down on the show on average.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
How to prevent the apocalypse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzIkq4AM_mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q5Ks5K1fY0

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I hope we get to hear Pedro sing since he admitted to Ellie he wanted to be a singer.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
In my head, Pedro’s Joel sounds like Vic Reeves’ Club Singer and I will be disappointed when we don’t get ‘song_name_here’ done with such aplomb down the line.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Why doesn't Joel simply use a med kit after he gets stabbed?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Spawning union strike.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Has anyone tried talking to the mushrooms? That one lady tried a romantic kiss but there was no discussion beforehand so it obviously didn't go anywhere.

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Regarding the earlier antifungal chat and "that mycologist jumped to bombs real fast" chat, there was that FEDRA chart in episode 1 that broke down how fast the infection progressed based on where you were bit, with head/neck being like 15 minutes and lower extremities being like a day. No antifungal medicine is going to help you in either the worst or best case scenario with that fast of progression.

And with the mycologist, in an hour she has found out that there is a cordyceps fungus that 1) is now capable of inhabiting humans (!), 2) can be transmitted via bites (!!), 3) somehow detects the light of her flashlight or the movement of the cadaver's jaw and rushes out at her in seconds (!!!), and 4) is now loose in one of the most densely populated cities in the world. I'd vote to bomb everything too.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Part of the problem of TVIV threads is that if everyone agrees with a post praising the show, there's no discussion started. If someone starts an argument, it can last all week.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I agree with her call. There should still be at least one prepper out there who has a bunch of skin problems because they are in their bunker with an ungodly hoard of tinactin constantly covering themselves head to toe in it for years, convinced it's kept them fungus free. Then they are infected to drive the point home.

The fungal growths and sculpts in this are so beautiful, idk how they look in the games but like the scene with ellie poking at the (what are the zombies called in this?) was really freaky and the fungal designs and effects were fantastic.

edit: and whoops if my post caused this derail, it wasn't a complaint or knock against the show and was rooted in my overconfidence in modern medicine.

edit2: haha getting a prepper episode now I think

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 26, 2023

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I post here because I haven't played TLOU2, but will after I finish Assassin's Creed Odyssey and play that (which should be about when season 1 ends) and then I'll post in the spoiler thread.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sentinel Red posted:

In my head, Pedro’s Joel sounds like Vic Reeves’ Club Singer

Please Jesus give us this.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

GoutPatrol posted:

I post here because I haven't played TLOU2, but will after I finish Assassin's Creed Odyssey and play that (which should be about when season 1 ends) and then I'll post in the spoiler thread.

theres a Games thread but no one loving posts there even if i want to learn the sickest brick strats and what upgrade tree decisions i want to take

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I know what happens in the games or endings from exposure to the dumb junk shitheads were mad about it but haven't made the emotional connections yet.

and holy poo poo this show is slick, that switch from badly played piano to Bill playing it sorrowfully, to the dude slyly doing the ol "oh is your boyfriend as impressed with you as I am" + figuring out sexuality at same time, then the kiss, THEN asking his name --> pivot to telling him to go take a shower. A lot of emotion and character in one packed scene.

edit "i was never afraid until you showed up" :cry: at all this

this ep hosed me up

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 26, 2023

Moltke
May 13, 2009
where i'm at is that the gay romance episode is going to go down as great because, even if you consider the setting stupid, it was like a classic 1 hour syndicated anthology show, ala twilight zone or crypt keeper or black mirror.

season 1 of TWD was good, i remember enjoying it, but i see nothing new here. the joel/ellie story is boring and none of the side characters they introduced as a crutch are anywhere near ep 3 so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

spankmeister posted:

The thread for any zombie show is going to be roughly 30% media illiterate mooks who think the only reason they haven't succeeded at life is that there hasn't yet been a zombocalypse.