Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I wish when a character dies it just gave you the rewind popup right away instead of playing out the rest of the enemy phase. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Avalerion posted:

I wish when a character dies it just gave you the rewind popup right away instead of playing out the rest of the enemy phase. :argh:

Hit start and it should skip the remaining enemy phase.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Classic is definitely the way to go when we've got Turnwheel so you're not totally hosed from a mistake or bad luck. Casual just lets you do too much stuff that results in no real difficulty.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Avalerion posted:

I like to watch just in case I screwed up twice in two different places on the same turn, and don't need to waste another rewind.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

casual and no rewinds except one or two. I just unlocked tiki and lost jean halfway through the map and couldn't be assed to rewind just to unfuck it so I kept going (and it was really only because I respec'd him immediately before so he'd be learning something more useful)

I had respecc'd anna to be a berserker and stuck Leif on her and she is a BEAST

at one point she was doing 41x2 dmg attacks but it didn't matter because she had a 9% crit and kept critting on the first attack for 60-96~ damage on a tank, which just one shots them.

Her defense if surrounded wouldn't last but I just made celine a healbot and it worked out fine

I much prefer this way of progression for weapons instead of 3H, that was so tedious

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I like rewinds because I'm very bad at math. Casual mode isn't exciting for me, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like playing on Classic mode because I think Fire Emblem in general is much more interesting when you can't let a unit die for short-term gain without losing them forever. Even with rewinds that's still true--the rewinds just save you from full resets, enabling you to take more risks or try things out without having to reset the whole map if it goes wrong. It's a nice balance I think.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
My biggest problem with rewinds in 3H maddening was the feeling that some things were there specifically as a rewind tax- critting siege tomes, same turn ambush reinforcements, same turn ambush reinforcements with critting siege tomes... But even there it was a good QoL addition.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Harrow posted:

I like playing on Classic mode because I think Fire Emblem in general is much more interesting when you can't let a unit die for short-term gain without losing them forever. Even with rewinds that's still true--the rewinds just save you from full resets, enabling you to take more risks or try things out without having to reset the whole map if it goes wrong. It's a nice balance I think.

Yeah I tried casual once and it really does change how you approach strategy. Not for me. But I'm glad it's here because I think it brings more people in and I'm glad they can have fun playing the way that they enjoy the most.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It strikes me that rewinding doesn't actually rewind any attack or crit values; in other words if you get killed and move a character, and the npc follows the moved character and attacks them in a different location, the combat resolution is still the same. They'd have to get attacked by a different character for the value to change. Seems odd to me.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Don't get me wrong I think Casual should exist since people are still scared off by perma death, but the game kind of falls apart to play on any engaging level besides just smashing through it on Casual since you can just throw bodies at problems.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It strikes me that rewinding doesn't actually rewind any attack or crit values; in other words if you get killed and move a character, and the npc follows the moved character and attacks them in a different location, the combat resolution is still the same. They'd have to get attacked by a different character for the value to change. Seems odd to me.

The same chain of random numbers are still cued up when you rewind, so nothing would change in that new combat at a different location as no new numbers were rolled.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The Deck got a video recorder like the Switch and I can't stop playing with it.

Here's the reverse recruitment mod at 1080/60
https://streamable.com/2bwchb

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What happens is that there are a bunch of pre-rolled random numbers that the game cycles through as you go. So if you rewind and do exactly the same moves, you'll get the same results. What you have to do is essentially cycle through some more random numbers, for example by attacking in a different order, to get a different result. Moving to a different location doesn't use up any random numbers so the combat results end up the same.

Level ups are pre-rolled at the start of a map, too, so you can't rewind to get better level ups.

RevolverDivider posted:

Don't get me wrong I think Casual should exist since people are still scared off by perma death, but the game kind of falls apart to play on any engaging level besides just smashing through it on Casual since you can just throw bodies at problems.

Yeah Casual existing is probably one of the reasons the series is reaching a much wider audience these days, and it doesn't hurt anything by its inclusion so I'm glad it's there.

I can understand some players wishing there was a mode without time rewinding, but personally I'm glad it's there even on the hardest difficulties.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

Level ups are pre-rolled at the start of a map, too, so you can't rewind to get better level ups.

that's lame-o. I kind of wish there wasn't random stat ups every level but it doesn't seem like that is going away

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The rewind does technically make things easier but it's such an insanely huge improvement of quality of life that I can never go back.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Most people play on normal and I'm pretty sure you can auto-battle to win.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Yes, Casual has the ability to destroy the problems presented by enemies, time rewinding just lets you have more flexibility while problem solving. It combines really well with permadeath.

Edit: I think you could definitely justify less than ten charges on the highest difficulty though.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 26, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

that's lame-o. I kind of wish there wasn't random stat ups every level but it doesn't seem like that is going away

This game actually does have a fixed growths option, but you can't use it on Normal or Hard until you finish the game once. You're required to use it on Maddening the first time you play that difficulty.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can use fixed growths on a 1st playthrough of hard iirc by starting on maddening and then scaling the difficulty down.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tactics Ogre has time rewinding, too, and the previous version (though not Reborn) had a title you could earn for finishing the game without using it. Something like that could be cool for a Fire Emblem game in the future, I think, just some kind of cosmetic reward for never using the time rewind if you want to do that kind of self-imposed challenge. The title for it motivated a lot of people to attempt that in Tactics Ogre.

Tae posted:

You can use fixed growths on a 1st playthrough of hard iirc by starting on maddening and then scaling the difficulty down.

Oh right, yeah, that does work

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Barreft posted:

The Deck got a video recorder like the Switch and I can't stop playing with it.

Here's the reverse recruitment mod at 1080/60
https://streamable.com/2bwchb

The AI having Seadall do a Goddess Dance for one ally got me malding.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I hope they never move from random to fixed since it's a fun part of the series that sometimes gods turn out like trash and total goobers bumble into becoming unstoppable killing machines from rng

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think having both options going forward would be cool, since fixed growths is also a nice option to have. If you want to do a weird gimmick run or challenge run or want to use specific characters, fixed growths can be nice to make sure the RNG can't screw you. I do think random should remain the default, though.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Yeah, I hoped Fixed Growths as an option is here to stay cause I'm having a ton of fun with it on my second playthrough

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

mycatscrimes posted:

My biggest problem with rewinds in 3H maddening was the feeling that some things were there specifically as a rewind tax- critting siege tomes, same turn ambush reinforcements, same turn ambush reinforcements with critting siege tomes... But even there it was a good QoL addition.

See this is what I was worried would happen, where even if you didn’t want to use the turn wheel the game would start basing the maps around it. And I think it got real out of hand in Engage since it’s almost like playing minesweeper where you don’t know which random unit on the map triggers the infinite reinforcements or simultaneously agro’s three different multi-healthbar bosses.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

If you’re gonna have ten charges it’s fine to have some gotcha tax moments otherwise you’d never be in danger of running out unless you’re using them to brute force solve things.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I really appreciate how with engage the turnwheel feels like just another tool you'll be using (if a really strong one) instead of a cheat mode. Game seems more balanced around it and so its fun to use, instead of in 3H where it always felt like I might as well be switching the difficulty to easy if I was gonna be rewinding.

I guess in Echoes I was also happy to use it but it felt kinda like (an appreciated) bandage over Gaiden's jank while here it comes off as fairly appropriate for the difficulty of the game.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I'll be picking Fixed Growths any time it's available going forward. I've never actually enjoyed the random growths part of Fire Emblem, I just put up with it because of all the other parts I liked about the series.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Wasnt it awakening where characters who died forfeit all their levels? Or am I mixing that up with another game entirely?

I'm too lazy to bother with permadeath anymore but I've been hard-coded to avoid it so I get the challenge of it, but with the grace of not having to rewind/restart too many times.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Jyrraeth posted:

I'm too lazy to bother with permadeath anymore but I've been hard-coded to avoid it so I get the challenge of it, but with the grace of not having to rewind/restart too many times.

Yeah this is me. I turn on Casual as bumpers to make me feel better but play like it’s Classic anyway.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t get very far on the highest difficulties but I appreciate Casual being an option just for those, doing Maddening/Classic or whatever equivalent for most FE games seems forever out of my reach but Maddening/Casual seems a lot more approachable and mitigates the problem I’m wary of with Hard/Casual where I can just be super reckless, since units tend to die so fast if you don’t think things through that you won’t make it very far anyway by just doing suicidal attacks except at the very very end of a map.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah this is me. I turn on Casual as bumpers to make me feel better but play like it’s Classic anyway.

Yeah, I play like it's Classic unless the enemy gets some unlucky 2% crit or whatever that I can't be bothered to RNG manipulate for so I'll just take the loss and not worry too much.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
With fixed growths, Im excited for FE Engage speedruns

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm still mad at that time in Awakening I ate poo poo at the end of a map that decided to spawn a same-turn reinforcement assassin with pass and a silver bow, who ran right through my established defensive line and one-shot a pegasus knight.

I've been using rewind liberally, but I don't think anything in Engage has felt unfair. Sometimes reinforcements have been overwhelming, but I've never had to reset to before they spawned, just to establish a stronger defense because I underestimated them. That's a huge difference to me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Same turn reinforcement is forever bullshit

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

IDK who it is, but whomever can stop having their horse climb up the stairs and leave a big dookie in the Somniel for me to pick up, that'd be great thanks. I keep finding it in this one spot.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

GreenBuckanneer posted:

IDK who it is, but whomever can stop having their horse climb up the stairs and leave a big dookie in the Somniel for me to pick up, that'd be great thanks. I keep finding it in this one spot.
every time you give it to someone they go there to try and hide it from you, clearly

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tae posted:

Same turn reinforcement is forever bullshit

With Divine Pulse I feel like they should be in the game all the time on Maddening.

I would want a single same turn reinforcement wave over the three to four completely non-threatening waves we get in Engage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

galagazombie posted:

See this is what I was worried would happen, where even if you didn’t want to use the turn wheel the game would start basing the maps around it. And I think it got real out of hand in Engage since it’s almost like playing minesweeper where you don’t know which random unit on the map triggers the infinite reinforcements or simultaneously agro’s three different multi-healthbar bosses.
these moments definitely didn't exist pre turnwheel

YOU ARE ABOUT TO DIE. SCREAM IF YOU MUST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember the map in fe6 that just goes from a normal map to you having to manage a group of NPCs, two recruitable enemies, one of which leads a group that turns into NPCs when recruited that you also have to manage, and one of whom has to be specifically recruited by a unit you may or may not have deployed with no indication whatsoever of which unit, and this happens with no prior warning like 4 turns in

remember the map in thracia with teleporter tiles that can teleport you into a room with no way out and infinitely respawning druids