Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Calidus posted:

Did the sword seem like easy mode to anyone else? You built up spirit at very high rate then the kick easy to pull off does great spirit damage.

I found some double swords and they completely blendered the poo poo out of most enemies spirit gauges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Spuckuk posted:

I found some double swords and they completely blendered the poo poo out of most enemies spirit gauges

Water with dual swords looks amazing on paper. Cheap defects, high attack speed and a spam-able “Sloth” spell.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Perestroika posted:

I'll also add that the Nioh 2 snake boss is a notorious lovely road block and once you manage to grind through it the rest of the game is way more fun and much less frustrating.

Excellent. Any tips to beat that boss?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Noam Chomsky posted:

Is Nioh 2 worth playing if this is right around the corner? I got stuck on the early snake boss and gave up.

I found a strat that worked for that boss after dying like 30+ times to that thing. if you decide to come back to nioh 2 and are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzwIKcQ5OL8

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Pretty sure I died more to the snake boss than literally every other story boss combined. Part of that was just learning the game and getting good but it's also an objectively tough fight.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The double swords were super cool for the like 2 minutes between finding them and finding double halberds

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The steam demo seems to have a lot of microstuttering or uneven frame pacing that's making it feel a lot less slick than the first one did on PS5. hopefully that gets ironed out if the windows store one is as better as they say, that performance really makes a massive difference in how good things feel and it's much harder to read animations like this.

They weren't joking about increasing the deflect window, it feels massively better now and I deflected a whole string of tiger attacks that I'm certain would have whiffed on the previous demo.

Another difference that feels substantial is that dodges don't seem to drain spirit? In the first demo I remember dodging was extremely costly and meant the deflect + dodge you had to do to gain distance would pretty much crater your spirit so you were really immobile if you ever lost your momentum and went negative. maybe I'm misremembering though.

lets hang out posted:

I did learn that defense from armor mitigates a lot of the damage it deals. Not sure what the difference between blue and green weight is, but at yellow you lose your cool flippy dodge and get a dark souls roll, and at red you can't deflect at all which is probably unplayable, it even puts a status effect icon on your screen to let you know you've hosed up. Haven't figured out whether weight helps with blocking but it did in Nioh so you know, probably.

At blue weight your dodge is an infinitely chainable flippy flip that costs no spirit. At green you get one of those flips followed by a roll, and then it resets to a normal spirit-costing deflect, so you can't cover nearly as much distance just from dodging. the flippy flip does seem to be locked to 4 directions which is weird.

Just staying at medium seems like it will probably still be the easiest.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Astrochicken posted:

I found a strat that worked for that boss after dying like 30+ times to that thing. if you decide to come back to nioh 2 and are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzwIKcQ5OL8

Thanks! I’ll try that if I pick it up again.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nioh 1 had vampire lady. Nioh 2 had snake boss.

I wonder what the new game’s early roadblock of a boss will be?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
The snake being a roadblock in 2 is funny since once you beat it you had the demon summon that could basically carry you through the entire game.

Until they nerfed it anyway where it went from OP to just stupidly good. :v:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

The Nioh 2 thread might have better answers it’s been a long time since my original play through. Feral burst counter is the easiest to use on that boss iirc since you dash into him. The arms and body have separate HP pools so some attacks can hit both. The camera is your biggest enemy in that fight. Being able quickly kill one of snakes ads in the darkness phase makes things much easier because you reasonably keep 2 enemies in the frame but 3 is a poo poo show. I think the darkness phases are connected to his HP %. You can manage/manipulate this to make sure your good shape for the darkness phases. Yokai shift has some additional benefits In darkness but I don’t remember what, using it for the final darkness phase is good idea.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The nioh 2 boss that rustled my jimmies was that fire guy. Idk he just had my number

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's been a minute but I remember the owl boss and lady okasabe being two of the most agonizing fights in my playthrough

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Augus posted:

it's been a minute but I remember the owl boss and lady okasabe being two of the most agonizing fights in my playthrough

that rear end in a top hat owl indirectly made okasabe an easy fight for me, because i swore to never run around without an insanely upgraded hand cannon ever again

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Oh that loving owl. I forgot that shithead.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i played the demo for this and got past the first boss. seems really fun, and i kind of want to get the game now.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

wizardry and martial arts being tied solely to spirit is such a loving great change, especially for the kind of high-flying wuxia action the game's trying to cultivate. comboing an enemy and then finishing with a fire blast feels so natural in this game, in a way it never did in elden ring or, hell, even nioh 2

i also really like the fact that wizardry is available to everyone at no cost, since it adds so much more to do for every single build beyond just basic attacking with your weapon and occasionally pulling out a martial art, and you don't need to dump points into an otherwise useless stat just for that luxury

Ya imo having no limited resource tied to cool poo poo is a great choice.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

did the second level in coop and multiplayer is still :discourse:, although I think the demo may have broken progress in multiplayer as after the end of level cutscene we were DCed and taken back to the start of the level individually presumably without it having counted as cleared. Preordered.

The design feels like it lends itself to singleplayer more than nioh but multiplayer is still fun, netcode still seems great and there are wizardry spell buffs that apply to allies in an AOE. Plus they followed through and there's an option to disable player invasions! holy poo poo!!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Huh, I never had trouble with the owl. It's dangerous, but it has way less HP than most bosses, so you just have to get a few good combos in to beat it. Lady Osakabe was a little annoying, but not 1/10th as bad as Orochi in the first game. Same with the umibozu in the first DLC, same gimmick as the first game but far less annoying to deal with.

Besides the snake, the one I had the most trouble with was the Lightning Gods. That took me a good 20 or 30 tries to get the hang of.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Lady Osakabe is really irritating since there’s attacks coming from all directions but she’s not too bad with headphones since you can hear the fireballs coming from behind. It also really really helps if you can DPS the tentacles down fairly quickly.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 26, 2023

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Finished the demo, initial impressions are it’s not Nioh 3, but that’s okay because what it is is pretty cool. Mixing spells fluidly into attack strings is cool, jumping 40 meters into the air to powerbomb a stunned ape is awesome. I look forward to clobbering many other large animals and possibly pursuing Lu Bu.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

first stage boss little trickier in a rematch when you can't cutscene skip most of his second phase

2nd stage bosses surprisingly last a good bit longer without zhao yun, guess he was contributing more than it seemed. you can send him away with the same item you use to send off co-op players, which you get by opening the reinforcements menu from a flag

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 26, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

wizardry point gain is only based on level, not specific stats, as evidenced by my pure wood character with 3 different wood spells to use

i'm not sure if it's your total elemental level or if it's just that every X point invested in an individual stat grants universal wizardry points, i'll have to test that out later

oshit is it? I thought I was getting spell points by leveling up elements that were magic focused, but I guess that could have been a coincidence if it's based on overall character level. That way would actually make a lot more sense specifically to avoid someone accidentally locking themselves out of magic :doh:

Noam Chomsky posted:

Is Nioh 2 worth playing if this is right around the corner? I got stuck on the early snake boss and gave up.

Nioh 2 is a great game, pretty much an across the board improvement on the first game in all but story, and snake boss is a lovely difficulty spike for a lot of players so you're definitely not alone in struggling there. If you like that kind of game it's probably the best one out right now, if you wish there weren't quite as many different systems to juggle and manage it may be worth deep diving Wo Long instead.

Perestroika posted:

I'll also add that the Nioh 2 snake boss is a notorious lovely road block and once you manage to grind through it the rest of the game is way more fun and much less frustrating.

:yeah:

e:

Overlord K posted:

The snake being a roadblock in 2 is funny since once you beat it you had the demon summon that could basically carry you through the entire game.

Until they nerfed it anyway where it went from OP to just stupidly good. :v:

Pouring one out for the 'snake summon ricocheting 4 times and insta poisoning everything on screen' crew :patriot:

The Chad Jihad posted:

The nioh 2 boss that rustled my jimmies was that fire guy. Idk he just had my number

The boar guy :negative: After snake it was smooth sailing for me up until that fight, then I got stuck for multiple days. Nothing like that happened again until I rushed the final boss in NG+ while being grossly under leveled/geared.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i played the demo for this and got past the first boss. seems really fun, and i kind of want to get the game now.

:same:

RatHat posted:

Lady Osakabe is really irritating since there’s attacks coming from all directions but she’s not too bad with headphones since you can hear the fireballs coming from behind. It also really really helps if you can DPS the tentacles down fairly quickly.

Yeah that fight sucked, giving a bad name to house wives everywhere :(

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 26, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Redid the second level solo to get credit for it and didn't even mind. This is SO good.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I refuse to fight Osakabe as intended as that would be a sign of weakness. I load up all my guns and just blast her

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Tried the demo, seems like it has potential although I'm kind of curious how the deep the combat systems will wind up later in the game, because in the demo it mostly felt like fighting bosses was basically just "parry red attacks, light attack a few times to build up spirit, use a spirit attack, get a critical hit that does more damage than anything else you could ever imagine of doing, repeat".

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Noam Chomsky posted:

Absolutely. Nioh 2 is fantastic, and like Azran says, it's a very different game from Wo Long.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Pouring one out for the 'snake summon ricocheting 4 times and insta poisoning everything on screen' crew :patriot:
This still totally works though, you just need a corner- and the poison bit comes from the Guardian Spirit you unlock at the same time.

Noam Chomsky posted:

He's big, and has correspondingly big hitboxes, dodging him can be tricky and you might in fact get more mileage out of dodging from High stance than the typical Low stance, since the roll makes more distance and has slightly more iframes. Alternatively you can sandbag this boss surprisingly well, just block him, hit him once or twice, Ki Pulse and wait for him to attack and block again. Outside of his grab he really has very few ways to actually stop you from doing this though you might want to have Toughness A for this which requires a couple of heavy armor pieces (you'd need about Stamina 13-14 to get Toughness A with Agility B around this time in the game). Alternatively just let your guard get broken and recover, either with Faster Winded Recovery (which can come on armor or talismans) or by cancelling the winded animation with a Burst Counter.

Both his Burst Attacks are very linear, if you don't feel comfortable in countering them you can simply dodge to the side and let him whiff.

His big gently caress you comes with his Dark Realm phase, when his tiny snake arms separate from his body, easiest way to deal with this is to simply equip Mezuki's Soul Core and save up your Anima for his Dark Realm transition. Once he does take 2 steps back, then hit Mezuki, the big cleaver swipe can easily hit both Yatsu and kill both his arms, this also costs him about half his Ki. Alternatively you can try and kill the arms during his regular phase, wait for him to stab them in the ground, dodge them as they come up, unlock and angle at them hitting them a couple of times with a horizontal attack. Killing them here again costs Yatsu a lot of Ki and will prevent them from spawning in the Dark Realm (though it also leaves his Dark Realm Phase up longer since you can't kill them there for the Ki damage).

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Any tips for the 2-phase boss of the first map? Deflecting his normal blows is doable, but the critical ones seem to be strangely off so I wiff the deflects very often. Which weapon and spells would be good?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ataxerxes posted:

Any tips for the 2-phase boss of the first map? Deflecting his normal blows is doable, but the critical ones seem to be strangely off so I wiff the deflects very often. Which weapon and spells would be good?

Get him to about 50%, then note the very small "press triangle and circle to do a thing" prompt, and do a thing. I don't think spells and weapons make a difference for deflecting, you just need to learn the timings for each attack and then execute. It's by far the toughest thing in the demo so try to persevere.

And yeah that's kinda a problem I have with the game in general, some of the timings feel off. A lot of the deflect windows feel very fair, but some of them just feel off or bad.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Finished the demo, initial impressions are it’s not Nioh 3, but that’s okay because what it is is pretty cool. Mixing spells fluidly into attack strings is cool, jumping 40 meters into the air to powerbomb a stunned ape is awesome. I look forward to clobbering many other large animals and possibly pursuing Lu Bu.

Amen. Honestly I just get sad when people want talented devs to make the same poo poo over and over again. The only reason we even got this soulslike genre is because Fromsoft was asked to do something new and they just went crazy because they had 0 expectations. I don't want Dark Souls 4, Nioh 3, Last of Us 4, Witcher 4. I am sure those games would be better if the devs got time away, made different type of game systems and learned new things. In case of Fromsoft and Team Ninja, the games aren't even that different so I don't get the complaints that it isn't a carbon copy of Nioh. Happy how Wolong is different enough while retaining good aspects from Nioh/Sekiro and Team Ninja's strength as a studio which is action/hard enemies. On the same note this is why I am super excited for Armored Core, can a talented dev like Fromsoft revive a genre like mecha?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dunno if this is said anywhere but if you hold RB and hit up on the d-pad you'll do like a war cry for half of your spirit bar and Zhao Yun will go nuts and start doing big corkscrew attacks at people

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ulio posted:

The only reason we even got this soulslike genre is because Fromsoft was asked to do something new and they just went crazy because they had 0 expectations.

What? The soulslike genre is the result of From Software being allowed to iterate on their action-dungeoncrawler games for ~10 games before one of them actually became an international hit. So it's not really surprising that some people want other series to have the same chance.

That said Wo Long very much feels like a Nioh game to me, because even if they change some mechanics around to fit the different story, a lot of the same elements/themes are there, with the spirit animals, Jade/Amrita as a corrupting/transforming element and so on to the point that I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it is actually in the same universe as the Nioh games.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hel posted:

What? The soulslike genre is the result of From Software being allowed to iterate on their action-dungeoncrawler games for ~10 games before one of them actually became an international hit. So it's not really surprising that some people want other series to have the same chance.

I don't have a link on hand to the interview about this, but when miyazaki became director on demon's souls the project was in trouble and his choice was to take risks and try new things that might not be popular because it was shaping up to be a failure anyway.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Hel posted:

That said Wo Long very much feels like a Nioh game to me, because even if they change some mechanics around to fit the different story, a lot of the same elements/themes are there, with the spirit animals, Jade/Amrita as a corrupting/transforming element and so on to the point that I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it is actually in the same universe as the Nioh games.

I'm expecting that you'll be able to unlock character skins at some point ala Nioh, and that characters from Nioh 1/2 will be available if you have the saved data

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I don't have a link on hand to the interview about this, but when miyazaki became director on demon's souls the project was in trouble and his choice was to take risks and try new things that might not be popular because it was shaping up to be a failure anyway.

You are probably thinking of this one : https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/31/bloodborne-dark-souls-creator-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview which yeah, they did some new things, but those were still added to a core that was built on iterating what they already had been doing for years. It's wasn't some revolutionary new thing for them, it was a different take on an old one.

Shinji2015 posted:

I'm expecting that you'll be able to unlock character skins at some point ala Nioh, and that characters from Nioh 1/2 will be available if you have the saved data

William is already in the game as a preset , so it would be very surprising if other don't show up, but I meant more that actually the same universe storywise( even if they aren't super connected because they take place in different countries and eras).

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I am curious if being able to sprint for free limits the advantages of large weapons.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Do we know if Windows Store owners of the game can play with Steam owners? The Windows Store version of the game is 15 USD cheaper in my region.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Azran posted:

Do we know if Windows Store owners of the game can play with Steam owners? The Windows Store version of the game is 15 USD cheaper in my region.
As of today the FAQ says that the Microsoft Store version has cross-play with Xbox, not Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hel posted:

You are proving my point, the reason they had the international success with Demon Souls is because they made Demon Souls and not Kings Field 5 or w.e. They did something new.They learned things from King's Field but its a different game and I am sure when Demon Souls was announced, Kings Field fans wanted a sequel to their game just like Nioh fans want Nioh 3 not Wo Long. Not saying Wo Long will be as impactful as Demon Souls was for From but I love it when devs try these small variation to their formula. Fromsoft fans were mad about Sekiro having no character creation or builds. They basically want the devs to make what they want, when the best product is whatever the creative forces want to make themselves. And all these devs are owned by public companies so they are not stupid so if these games don't sell enough they will surely go back to making w.e fans want to make but I like that they are trying out new stuff. I liked it that Fromsoft made a random rear end VR game, that shows they are still ready to try out new stuff. Hopefully they can evolve the soulslike formula because I feel like actually Team Ninja has done a better job in that department than them especially in combat.

Or we can go do what western devs/publishers are doing which is even worst than nonstop sequels it's unneeded remaster or remakes. Like why did Tlou1 need a remake? Now there is a rumor Horizon Zero Dawn is getting a remake which is a orignal ps4 game lol. Before this gen is over we might get a God Of War Ragnarok remake.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 26, 2023