Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
so it's basically multiplayer Crackdown with a DC Comics skin? I guess?

if I had to guess, I'd say WB execs forced this IP on Rocksteady because it was a better fit for a GaaS model than, say, Superman. hope we get the full story of what Rocksteady has been doing for the past eight years someday, because they almost certainly haven't been developing KtJL for the entirety of that time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's hilarious they're releasing this when everyone has become sick of GaaS. Avengers will have gone through almost its entire lifespan in the time it took for this game to come out, and it's following the same model as Avengers. And Avengers had a lot of characters people actually know and care about.

I imagine this is gonna have even fewer players. And that gameplay looks absolutely boring as hell. Just jump around, shoot enemies, shoot the big glowing weak points, rinse and repeat. Do the characters even look like they play differently? Not really!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Codependent Poster posted:

It's hilarious they're releasing this when everyone has become sick of GaaS. Avengers will have gone through almost its entire lifespan in the time it took for this game to come out, and it's following the same model as Avengers. And Avengers had a lot of characters people actually know and care about.

I imagine this is gonna have even fewer players. And that gameplay looks absolutely boring as hell. Just jump around, shoot enemies, shoot the big glowing weak points, rinse and repeat. Do the characters even look like they play differently? Not really!

Hey, Avengers at least made some modicum of effort to differentiate its characters in terms of abilities and move sets. I suppose it would be pretty hard to design and balance a co-op open-world game around a team of characters with meaningfully distinct power sets, but that just seems like a reason not to bother making this game in the first place.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 23, 2023

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It... looks like a game, I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Imagine showing off a superhero live service game less than a month after a high profile failed superhero live service game announces its shutdown. I'd be so embarrassed.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol remember how well this worked for Outriders

https://twitter.com/ethangach/status/1628885045598453762

This game is just Sideshow Bob stepping on all the rakes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wish they had gotten to make their Superman game

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Waffleman_ posted:

Imagine showing off a superhero live service game less than a month after a high profile failed superhero live service game announces its shutdown. I'd be so embarrassed.

This just reminds me about how obvious it was that they ripped a GaaS model out of Gotham Knights, and I can almost guarantee that KtJL will be lucky to be half as good as that game.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

This just reminds me about how obvious it was that they ripped a GaaS model out of Gotham Knights, and I can almost guarantee that KtJL will be lucky to be half as good as that game.

https://twitter.com/StuartRae92/status/1628888333936996354

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

For the record, I thought Gotham Knights was really good. Not without its issues, but really good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
"here's a huge shark man"
"Nice, do I like grapple people with his jaws and poo poo?"
"No. Gun."
"...really big gun?"
"Somewhat larger than Harley Quinn's"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Man that game looks whatever.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
All they need to complete the GAAS pre-release journey now is put out an open beta that is like... just about alright but when you finish it you go "well if there's more to it and they've only shown like 10% of the core stuff like enemies and such then it could be good maybe?"

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I think the large focus on movement makes the combat in Suicide Squad look fun. The few screenshots I was able to take of gear make it look pretty boring, maybe the villain types will make up for the boring stats a bit. Definitely not in at release but will happily try it at a discount. Gotham Knights was a great co-op beat em up. Hoping I can melee more as the street-shark.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Another year and still no new Hulk: Ultimate Destruction remake; one of the best superhero video games of all time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I'll continue to play thevonly good comic book game: Fortnite.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

As long as it has four or more villains it'll at least be better than a lot of the others

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm assuming like five to seven bosses. Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, and The Flash as the JL members you gotta 'kill', Braniac as teh final boss, and maybe you do get to fight Lex Luthor, and I could see like one more small one getting in there maybe.

I'm really confused that they said in the playstation direct, and in their website, that this is five years after Arkham Knight. I thought maybe a different person took over the Batman mantle but it's still Kevin Conroy so idk

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

MorningMoon posted:

I'm assuming like five to seven bosses. Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, and The Flash as the JL members you gotta 'kill', Braniac as teh final boss, and maybe you do get to fight Lex Luthor, and I could see like one more small one getting in there maybe.

I'm really confused that they said in the playstation direct, and in their website, that this is five years after Arkham Knight. I thought maybe a different person took over the Batman mantle but it's still Kevin Conroy so idk

Batman retired for all of five months and came back using Scarecrow fear gas as part of his repertoire.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I like lightweight shooters and games with fun traversal mechanics, so that Suicide Squad game still has my attention, but the always-online requirement and tedious RPG mechanics are really leaving me cold. I don't want to do +2% frost damage to elite enemies for four seconds after reloading, I just want to shoot the aliens until they fall down. :mad:

And my wifi is a little blippy, so having to be online even when I'm playing by myself is a huge bummer.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Barry Convex posted:

so it's basically multiplayer Crackdown with a DC Comics skin? I guess?

if I had to guess, I'd say WB execs forced this IP on Rocksteady because it was a better fit for a GaaS model than, say, Superman. hope we get the full story of what Rocksteady has been doing for the past eight years someday, because they almost certainly haven't been developing KtJL for the entirety of that time

wasn't crackdown already multiplayer

BiggerBoat posted:

Another year and still no new Hulk: Ultimate Destruction remake; one of the best superhero video games of all time.

The staff from that game, assuming they even work at that studio anymore, have all been sublimated into the "support for gigantic development resource hogs" machine. I think they did... something on... Destiny?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Diabetic posted:

Batman retired for all of five months and came back using Scarecrow fear gas as part of his repertoire.

No, Dick just worked really hard on that impression of Bruce.

Mr Hootington posted:

I'll continue to play thevonly good comic book game: Fortnite.

The only game that truly allows you to figure out out "Could Goku beat Superman?" by having both characters shoot each other with shotguns.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 25, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I can't wait for Suicide Squad to introduce Enchantress as a playable character and give her guns.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I missed the behind the scenes video before. I did laugh when they promised to continually add new content; that exact line is said in every single GaaS preview and we've seen how that turns out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

For real though, with the whole thing of just giving every character a gun, you're looking at additions of Deathstroke, Peacemaker, Rick Flag, and Bloodsport. Wow. Such great variety. I guess if we're lucky they'll add Lex Luthor in his green power suit so he too can fly around and shoot guns.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is Katana, she's got my back. I would advise not getting killed by her, her gun has 3.6% extra damage on headshots.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TwoPair posted:

The only game that truly allows you to figure out out "Could Goku beat Superman?" by having both characters shoot each other with shotguns.

I played a couple weeks ago as Goku and I dived into a bush to shotgun some guy, then Sasuke also ran into the same bush and we both just walked around and into the bush trying and failing to shoot each other until i ran out of ammo and Sasuke shot me while i was reloading.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

This is Katana, she's got my back. I would advise not getting killed by her, her gun has 3.6% extra damage on headshots.

I wish that could be the thread title

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Honestly if they put that line in the game, that'd be a more enjoyable tone than what they've shown in the game so far.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Finally checked out the State of Play and good lord, Suicide Squad looked like the most tedious poo poo in ages. And I feel bad saying that as I know a guy who works there but ew, nothing about it looks appealing in the slightest.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I wish that could be the thread title

https://twitter.com/legotrillermoth/status/1629634419467198465?t=fOCNusiKy2a5na6kAhHjkA&s=19

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Batman-infused enemies.

Edit: Terry's dad from Batman Beyond counts as Batman Infused, right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's Terry.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think only Catwoman is usually Batman-infused.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
..so do people just go around vaping Batman now or making tea out of him or something?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

there's no loving way lmao. thread title if it is real

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

MorningMoon posted:

there's no loving way lmao. thread title if it is real

i don't care if it's real or not, let's get that title change lol

like you motherfuckers got me with gotham knights and that was pretty enjoyable, no way am I going in for this.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Why wouldn't they just make a current-gen single-player action-adventure Batman game and everyone would love it and it would sell 20 million copies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fortnite makes a billion dollars so if we do a Fortnite we will also make a billion dollars