Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

drat this psycho is giving advice to putin!?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
poor lil' nato, roused from its deathbed by that mean ol' vlad and his oh so smoochable lips

good thing we have real professionals here to set the story straight

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

kronix posted:

They’re actively bombing civilian infrastructure, lobbing cruise missiles at cities hundreds of miles away from the front so no, it has never occurred to me that Russia is holding back anything.

Russia isn’t competent and it’s military rotted from the inside. Putin’s been spinning his failure internally as “at least we found out how poo poo our military is now instead of when NATO” invaded.

dont you think its odd that russia was doing much worse damage to syria a few years back than they are to ukraine right now

like why would they do this unless they had some reason for holding back do you think they did too many war crimes in syria so they didnt have any ordnance left for ukraine

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
What is the peace that the US would accept for Ukraine? I remember Russia proposing early on basically Donbas + "no NATO" and even Zelenskyy speaking about peace months ago that Russia could accept, but I can't remember ever reading anything about any sort of peace deal from the US. Has there been any peace deal proposed with US support? If so, what? I know the real answer is the US isn't interested in peace because this war is incredibly profitable for gas exporters, and MIC needs to replace Afghanistan with something.

I can't imagine a US backed peace deal that doesn't start Cold War 2 and another Cuban Missile Crisis.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

I Helped Make Afghanistan Safe For Organized Child-Rape And I'm Here To Tell You About Why Russia Bad, and other lessons i learned from gbs

lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lol welp I guess ukraine is hosed

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

kronix posted:

No.

Are you saying that the Russians in this case are like the Vietnamese? It's like you're SO close to figuring out the Russians aren't the good guys here.

The concept of Good Guys is dumb baby bullshit for superhero movies, grow the gently caress up.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

The concept of Good Guys is dumb baby bullshit for superhero movies, grow the gently caress up.

Right, there's only Our Guys and Not Our Guys

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
R guys

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

Dude what? You've got official Ukrainian government twitter accounts bragging about "collaborators" like schoolteachers getting dragged out into the street and executed, while they make pulp out of Russian-language books en masse. I have no idea how you could possibly think they'd be willing to live and let live, especially when they'd been indiscriminately bombarding them with artillery for like seven years leading up to this war.

but that would mean that the average person in the west shouldn't just uncritically cheer for the ukrainian government and come up with cute blue & yellow color schemes for everything, which is an uncomfortable idea and so it can't be true

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Orange Devil posted:

wrong

please see my counterargument from NATO's official twitter account

https://twitter.com/NATO/status/1628687961477750790

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What is the peace that the US would accept for Ukraine? I remember Russia proposing early on basically Donbas + "no NATO" and even Zelenskyy speaking about peace months ago that Russia could accept, but I can't remember ever reading anything about any sort of peace deal from the US. Has there been any peace deal proposed with US support? If so, what? I know the real answer is the US isn't interested in peace because this war is incredibly profitable for gas exporters, and MIC needs to replace Afghanistan with something.

I can't imagine a US backed peace deal that doesn't start Cold War 2 and another Cuban Missile Crisis.

lol

It's in the US's interest for there to be no peace whatsoever, withouth either side really winning. Keeps Europe in line and allows to make massive profits with MIC and LNG exports.

If this war is still going on in 10 years it would be a net US victory.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Some Guy TT posted:

dont you think its odd that russia was doing much worse damage to syria a few years back than they are to ukraine right now

like why would they do this unless they had some reason for holding back do you think they did too many war crimes in syria so they didnt have any ordnance left for ukraine

important to point out for the hard of brain that this doesn't mean Russia is acting morally or competently, just that there's a clear design in how they've approached this war even if it has ended up not working for them and it wasn't to destroy the whole of Ukraine and kill every Ukrainian

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

Well, not that I disagree with your point really but Russian airpower did a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of destruction in Syria. It's much harder to project that kind of on-demand destructive power with normal missiles only, especially in a huge AA rich country like Ukraine.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

we're brighteyes, we're climbing into the giant zardoz head, we just turned 30

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

right now the moderate position for peace in the West is 'Ukraine is restored to its pre-2014 borders, the DNR and LNR are dissolved, Russia gives up the Crimea, Ukraine joins NATO', with the more common position being 'that and also the dissolution of the current Russian government and its replacement with a more pro-Western one' and the maximalist position being 'and also Russia itself ceases to exist as a state and the land is divvied up by the United States at gunpoint'

speng31b
May 8, 2010

truly some of the most epically brain broken posts from the past year have all been back loaded into this thread in the past few days

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Oh poo poo never mind just got to the part of the thread where we all learn the dude has a personal financial stake in killing babies.

I'd like to change my advice of "grow up" into something else.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

kronix posted:

They’re actively bombing civilian infrastructure, lobbing cruise missiles at cities hundreds of miles away from the front so no, it has never occurred to me that Russia is holding back anything.

Russia isn’t competent and it’s military rotted from the inside. Putin’s been spinning his failure internally as “at least we found out how poo poo our military is now instead of when NATO” invaded.

I think you're making a pretty common "GBS thread" mistake here in assuming that this thread has an emotional or ideological investment in defending Russia. We don't (at least most of us don't, I can't speak for everyone). We know it's a kleptocratic shithole - the U.S. and its allies helped make it that way - with a military that keeps embarrassing itself in Ukraine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kleptocractic is another liberal slur

Russia is just a bog standard liberal democracy.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

euphronius posted:

Russia is just a bog standard liberal democracy.

not true if they were a liberal democracy theyd be allowed to elect that guy who loves rick and morty president

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

very hard to make fun of putin when his greatest political rivals are the rick and morty guy and the chess grandmaster who thinks the dark ages are fake news

well theres always the communists but for some reason no one in english language media likes to talk about them

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

Nah, it depends on who's using it and in what context. It's like the word "democracy." When neoliberal governments use that word to describe themselves or to claim that they're "spreading democracy," it's a bullshit twisting of the word used as a fig leaf. On the other hand Communists and Marxists throughout the decades have used the word "democracy" because hey, guess what? That's what we're trying to implement: actual democracy.

Liberal bourgeois governments are kleptocratic. The U.S. is a kleptocracy. We remade Russia in our image in the 90s, except poorer and weaker. I agree that it's a bog standard liberal "democracy," though - emphasis on the scare quotes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Majorian posted:

Liberal bourgeois governments are kleptocratic. The U.S. is a kleptocracy. We remade Russia in our image in the 90s, except poorer and weaker. I agree that it's a bog standard liberal democracy, though.

fair enough

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

kronix posted:

NATO was on its deathbed before the invasion. Nearly every member was spending next to nothing on defense and you had Donald Trump and the Republican Party openly calling for the US to withdraw.

The whole NATO thing is a fig leaf used to justify Russia’s imperial aspirations. To Putin, giving away Ukraine was a historical mistake and it will be undone no matter how many have to die.

Borrowing this from earlier in the thread

The USA has always made up the lions share of NATO spending so let's not kid anyone that NATO was caught with its pants around its ankles over spending. Their basic problem lately is they can't be bothered going to the total war economy required to refill their stocks like Russia is

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

extremely funny how trump accidentally created a detente on ukraine by being a drama queen about how nobody else in nato is paying their fair share

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hubbert posted:

wrong

please see my counterargument from NATO's official twitter account

https://twitter.com/NATO/status/1628687961477750790

NATO's twitter account is bring your kid to work day only you leave them there and move home without telling them.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Not So Fast posted:

Borrowing this from earlier in the thread

The USA has always made up the lions share of NATO spending so let's not kid anyone that NATO was caught with its pants around its ankles over spending. Their basic problem lately is they can't be bothered going to the total war economy required to refill their stocks like Russia is

Germany looks a lot like a country that got caught with its pants around it’s ankles over military spending.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ruthkanda forever - nato

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

astonished that people who helped destroy iraq and caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of men, women and children still think the usa did a single crumb of good there

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

extremely funny how trump accidentally created a detente on ukraine by being a drama queen about how nobody else in nato is paying their fair share

Nah, Trump escalated things significantly, both by sending lethal aid to Ukraine (even after the one time he said he might not send it if they didn't investigate Hunter or whatever), and by pulling out of arms control treaties like the INF. He's as responsible as anyone for this mess, with the exception of George W. Bush who is genuinely the most responsible.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Jel Shaker posted:

astonished that people who helped destroy iraq and caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of men, women and children still think the usa did a single crumb of good there

that's a load-bearing delusion

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Majorian posted:

Nah, Trump escalated things significantly, both by sending lethal aid to Ukraine (even after the one time he said he might not send it if they didn't investigate Hunter or whatever), and by pulling out of arms control treaties like the INF. He's as responsible as anyone for this mess, with the exception of George W. Bush who is genuinely the most responsible.

correct which is why i wrote accidentally

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

kronix posted:

Germany looks a lot like a country that got caught with its pants around it’s ankles over military spending.

Germany's military was intentionally constrained under the Treaty for the Final Settlement with Respect to Germany after the war.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

correct which is why i wrote accidentally

Well but he didn't, is the thing. He didn't do it accidentally, and he didn't do it on purpose. He escalated things.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Majorian posted:

Not a comment on anything in particular but it just occurs to me that "lethal aid" is an incredible(y awful) phrase.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Dreylad posted:

Not a comment on anything in particular but it just occurs to me that "lethal aid" is an incredible(y awful) phrase.

it's when you do CPR too hard

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

:ironicat:

This from the guys who declared victory in Iraq during the first W term. Seriously, how the gently caress are w bunch of American losers gonna pretend they know anything about winning a war.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pretty sure it got changed back to lend-lease now to intentionally draw the ww2 parallels.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The only alternative history where Trump might have helped things, to me, is if Germany had taken seriously his warnings about being dependent on Russian energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://t.me/ukrinform_news/92781

Zelenskyy has dismissed General Eduard Moskalev as the Commander of the Joint Forces Operation. Who he appointed to the position in March 2022.