Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

My Spirit Otter posted:

I think i just dislike him because of kitconstantine probating people who called russians orcs in the thread then in the same breathe would post def mon tweets where def mon was calling russians orcs.

There are other, just as accurate twitter posters who arent unfunny losers preferred by poo poo mods.

Hey.

What other mods in other subforums prefer has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Come up with a better argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

bulletsponge13 posted:

I know I'm gonna catch flak, but I find the MG3 RoF to be too high for many applications.

Do you even have room for any more shrapnel? I was led to believe

*In extremely Alec Guinness voice*

You're more machine than man now.

A.o.D. posted:

is it a cross or is the tank just anime angry?

:nyoron:

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Generation Internet posted:

Though at a certain point it does seem a bit pointless to optics-police the state which has been invaded and is actively having their children stolen and culture suppressed in the occupied areas.
No, it makes it all the more important. Ukraine will not win the war without outside support, and the EU/US support will wane real fast if the popular opinion in the west turns against Ukrainians due to them turning a blind eye to their troops sporting Nazi insignia and committing occasional war crimes. Anyone who wants Ukraine to succeed should also want the Ukranian leadership to take this seriously. It's not about fairness, it's about the political reality.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Fighterbomber Pro-RU telegram channel seems to confirm what happened to the A-50.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Tuna-Fish posted:

The thing about nazi race theories is that if you read them, you'll find that they are surprisingly equal-opportunity.

If that sounds shocking, let me explain: The nazis didn't think so much that they were the designated master race, but rather that all races were locked in deadly darwinian competition, and that eventually there would be just one winner, the master race. Because this competition is strictly zero-sum, then everyone is obligated to do whatever possible to help their race win. Add some mumbo jumbo about race mixing being very bad and making everyone worse off, and you sort of understand the core of nazi race theories.

The mein kampf also has all these appeals about why the germanic race is best and why they should be the ones to seize the top spot, but if you just ignore those parts it's entirely possible for a person who is into racism and is of any race, including the ones that Hitler really didn't like, to read the mein kampf and come out nodding that yeah, that guy had everything right except the wrong race. This is why there are groups like the Grey Wolves (Turkish nazis) who distribute translations of the book to their followers. Add to that how Hitler near his death in his bunker supposedly said that he was wrong, the Russians were the master race after all, and it's really easy to be a Russian nazi. I still don't understand why they use the symbols, though.

It also makes it a lot easier to understand some of their policies and reactions. For example, they did some early mass IQ testing of their population and found that the German Jews were the smartest subgroup in their population. The reaction to that wasn't "maybe the jews are better and we aren't the master race", but rather "oh my god, the Jews have such a head start on us, we have to catch up".

I don't think they ever did explain why "race" is the unit that is the actor in this competition all that well, I think that was just assumed.

The 19th and early 20th century race theory (calling it that gives it too much credit frankly, but I digress) that the nazi movement ideology grew out of absolutely and unambiguously had a tiered hierarchy of the races. like you can go read basically anyone from a century of the movement and it's all very unambiguous about who is on top and who is at the bottom.

Also wrt the race theory poo poo the simplest answer is that enough of that poo poo carved out slavs as acceptably of a higher race, eg this insane chart from Grant (known for the passing of the great race which is an absolutely insane work but also cited as influential by hitter). Really they're quite unambiguous that anyone brown, tropical, Mediterranean or African or even partially so is at the bottom. I'll grant you that there's some more ambiguity about what the top looks like, but there truly is zero ambiguity about what they perceive to be beneath them. poo poo like Turkish nazis or the like is just a reflection of the human phenomenon of taking whatever parts of something reinforce what you already believe and ignoring the rest.

As to the paradoxical use of nazi symbolism in Russia and the Soviet Union, some of that connects back to (at least in part) opposition to soviets, anti-communism, and in a real way reflected aspects of Russian prison/anti-state culture as the USSR locked up anyone with nazi sympathies and anyone publicly anti-communist or anti-soviet and as such there came to be a significant overlap. They wanted a system of symbolism that made communists incredibly mad and well it just so happened that there was one.

Of course most Russian Nazi poo poo is just more western-recognizable neo-nazis engaged in mostly what we'd recognize as white culture war against ethnic, religious minorities, LGBTQ people, etc., but that's all pretty much exactly what it looks like.

(sorry that this post kind of jumps around, I'm writing it in a rush)

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 27, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah the stock grind kinda sucks but once you unlock the ACOG it's pretty solid

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Also in actual news: Ukraine replaced the commander of the Joint Forces of Eastern Ukraine (Eduard Moskalova). Timing obviously seems related to Bakhmut developments, though without knowing where he's going next it's hard to read too much into it. Who they pick to replace him will be particularly revealing.

Notably the last person in his position was reassigned back to overseeing the Kyiv defense in mid-March of 2022.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

bulletsponge13 posted:

I know I'm gonna catch flak, but I find the MG3 RoF to be too high for many applications.

Funny you think you're going to catch FLAK: the role of a GPMG included anti-aircraft responsibilities and that rate of fire was essential for the brief window you had to shoot at enemy aircraft from the ground. To my recollection the infantry still gas down the MG3.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Miloshe posted:

Funny you think you're going to catch FLAK: the role of a GPMG included anti-aircraft responsibilities and that rate of fire was essential for the brief window you had to shoot at enemy aircraft from the ground. To my recollection the infantry still gas down the MG3.

Is that something they still train for with the MG3? Or any other countries? America doesn't do a proper GPMG in the European sense from what I've seen, so this intrigues me.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Is that something they still train for with the MG3? Or any other countries? America doesn't do a proper GPMG in the European sense from what I've seen, so this intrigues me.

Dude, I went through MCT (Marine Combat Training for non-grunts, grunts go to SOI) in 2005 and we still trained to lay on our backs and fire our M16-A2's above a tree to create a dense enough pattern of 5.56 to take down an enemy aircraft. Realistic? gently caress no. MG3 as a direct descendant of the MG's developed in the 1930's with Jabo's inbound? Why not train to the capability? Your willingness to share your experiences has inspired me in my day-to-day life by the way. I appreciate you, bud.

I'm also thankful for you GBS refugees being around.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Man named bulletsponge suspiciously concerned that a gun might shoot too fast.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Miloshe posted:

Dude, I went through MCT (Marine Combat Training for non-grunts, grunts go to SOI) in 2005 and we still trained to lay on our backs and fire our M16-A2's above a tree to create a dense enough pattern of 5.56 to take down an enemy aircraft. Realistic? gently caress no. MG3 as a direct descendant of the MG's developed in the 1930's with Jabo's inbound? Why not train to the capability? Your willingness to share your experiences has inspired me in my day-to-day life by the way. I appreciate you, bud.

That is hysterical. And real loving optimistic.

E- in Army Basic we were taught to seek cover, but whatever.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

bulletsponge13 posted:

That is hysterical. And real loving optimistic.

E- in Army Basic we were taught to seek cover, but whatever.

The plane will fly into the web of bullets fired from weapons zeroed at 33M you see! It's brilliant. I'll see if I can find the field manual, it ranks up there with the "Helmet Too Tight" illustration for how to install velcro MICH pads.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Miloshe posted:

Dude, I went through MCT (Marine Combat Training for non-grunts, grunts go to SOI) in 2005 and we still trained to lay on our backs and fire our M16-A2's above a tree to create a dense enough pattern of 5.56 to take down an enemy aircraft.

Something similar was in the manuals and few times trained in FDF field training exercises as a last resort air defense against helicopters, especially those dropping off enemy troops in early 2000's. Against air support crafts you just seek cover. Stupid and optimistic? Yes, but I guess the idea is that something is better than nothing.

And thank you!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Look, I'm gonna take some pot shots- I'd pop a mag at Godzilla for the story alone, if the ammo is available, but the idea of a platoon on a hillside trying this against a Hind is adorable.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That sounds like thinking along the same lines as having a forward assist on the M16, it's there to give grunts something to do.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Holden : The grunt lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, shooting its M16 trying to down the enemy aircraft, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Look, I'm gonna take some pot shots- I'd pop a mag at Godzilla for the story alone, if the ammo is available, but the idea of a platoon on a hillside trying this against a Hind is adorable.

This man lacks heart.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I did some shopping around after the gbs thread got closed. The other two are awful. Glad you don't mind gbs thread refugees, I'm after practical explanation of the conflict and this seems to be the spot.
I'm going to have a hell of a time with the acronyms, haha

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I did some shopping around after the gbs thread got closed. The other two are awful. Glad you don't mind gbs thread refugees, I'm after practical explanation of the conflict and this seems to be the spot.

The BYOB annual Holiday card will be from a PSC address this year so there's that :)

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Don't be ashamed to ask for clarification. It happens all the time. We sometimes take it for granted everyone is on the same page.

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well poo poo. More territory lost in Bakhmut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-X8Zaev5o4

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
What's the thread take on the Kings and Generals YouTube channel, particularly the war summaries so far? I've done it pretty interesting, but I'm curious if there's any glaring mistakes or fabrications.

Also, thanks I'll probably be asking for plenty of clarification.

Here's an example of one of the videos:
https://youtu.be/ZSSiPrF8GoM

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

jimmy mnemonic posted:

Well poo poo. More territory lost in Bakhmut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-X8Zaev5o4

I think at this point losing Bakhmut is a foregone conclusion, so losing ground seems like less of a concern than losing troops and equipment.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They’ve been preparing defenses further back from Bakhmut, they’re just making the Russians pay dearly for whatever’s left. Sure they took the place, but it’s gotta be all rubble by now. The only real value is probably whatever highways or railheads are nearby, but that’s probably already spiked or wired to blow as soon as the Ukrainians leave.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
How do civilians get out of places like this? I want to believe that they've all been evacuated but there's got to be enough Florida Man Stays To Ride Out Hurricane that must be civ around, right?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What's the thread take on the Kings and Generals YouTube channel, particularly the war summaries so far? I've done it pretty interesting, but I'm curious if there's any glaring mistakes or fabrications.

Also, thanks I'll probably be asking for plenty of clarification.

Here's an example of one of the videos:
https://youtu.be/ZSSiPrF8GoM

Kings and Generals is very good, worth a watch. Perun is also good.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Cannon_Fodder posted:

How do civilians get out of places like this? I want to believe that they've all been evacuated but there's got to be enough Florida Man Stays To Ride Out Hurricane that must be civ around, right?

Some civilians just choose to stay, but those that have left are evacuated by either civilian or military rescuers. As for Bakhmut itself, though, when the military closed down civilian access to the city, the evacuation window more or less came to a close, I believe.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Don't worry, I think literally every unit in the USAF has an acronym guide for when you write your annual evals (and you have to list them on the eval as well). Because obv when your eval goes up to a promotion board the person from another career field is gonna understand what your alphabet soup says.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

If there are civilians who are left and are able, they will most likely move with the main body of the retreating force.

Ukraine has been doing a lot with a little in regards to civilians evacs- there are several organizations-most of them volunteers- that will often make the run to get people out. I mean, taking incoming drone directed fire and holding the door for a Babushka, absolute balls of steel.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Don't forget the sweet, sweet propaganda about New Holiday Created In Wake Of Heroic Russian Warriors Claiming Critical Town after wasting untold amounts of resources to claim a bunch of smoldering rubble.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

EorayMel posted:

Don't forget the sweet, sweet propaganda about New Holiday Created In Wake Of Heroic Russian Warriors Claiming Critical Town after wasting untold amounts of resources to claim a bunch of smoldering rubble.

As a certain Greek tyrant would have to say about this; "Another such victory and we are undone."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Miloshe posted:

On paper, the US army still believes in ground forces using both active and passive defense, using their own combined and small arms. One of the weirder diagrams is a Cobra doing a pop-up attack on a Tiger tank.

https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/ARN2446-ATP_3-01.8-000-WEB-1.pdf

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

On paper, the US army still believes in ground forces using both active and passive defense, using their own combined and small arms. One of the weirder diagrams is a Cobra doing a pop-up attack on a Tiger tank.

https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/ARN2446-ATP_3-01.8-000-WEB-1.pdf

To be fair it's something the Tiger crew would least expect.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

the holy poopacy posted:

I think at this point losing Bakhmut is a foregone conclusion, so losing ground seems like less of a concern than losing troops and equipment.

A couple of Twitter sources are mentioning a possible Ukraine mechanized counter attack right now that are using the flooded land as part of it.

Could just be BS, or part of a withdrawal but...

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Ehh Ukraine plays with their cards very close to their chest. I've found it really hard to predict their next move, outside of the most obvious stuff.

Likewise, Russian commanders/leadership are such irrational actors its really hard to predict how they're gonna smash their dick with a hammer next.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Generation Internet posted:

Though at a certain point it does seem a bit pointless to optics-police the state which has been invaded and is actively having their children stolen and culture suppressed in the occupied areas.

^^^^^^^^

People in combat putting stupid symbols on their uniforms or equipment get a pass from me if they are stopping genocide during an unprovoked war of survival. If they blow it in retribution somewhere down the line I’ll condemn them then.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It’s concern trolling and whataboutism.

They’ll also deny things like todays reporting around the bodies pulled out of izyum today, and preemptively accused ukraine of war crimes during the major offensive when they took it as it became clear their side was losing.

Really vile people.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1630026699046830080?t=2ypvueCFmrvi2yMjwdMzHQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

After Leopard, Rybar International now telegrams us the ABC's and 123's of destroying Abrams tanks: https://www.veed.io/view/e8ec8e05-8cac-4a0e-9422-53ee6f5e7561

Or as they put It,

Rybar International posted:

How to destroy Abrams?

The U.S. Abrams main battle tank, regardless of its modification, is one of the strongest NATO tanks. Powerful armor, active protection systems and other survivability modules should ensure its survival in combat.

Nevertheless, Abrams is not an invulnerable machine. Just like any other vehicle, it can be disabled.

So keep your cool and fly a drone, or something...