Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

navyjack posted:

80s danger!

..gently caress, they should have gone somewhere only playing 60s stuff I guess.

Kinda heartbreaking that the poor kid’s life has been so dull and devoid of joy that an escalator seems exciting.
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hell yeah Mortal Kombat

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Oh hey an Uncharted Reference in Macho Nacho

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I can’t watch

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pipe bombs just intrinsically read as a video game prop to me.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Picking Raiden? I cannot sanction such buffoonery, Ellie.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I hope they never flashback back to that situation.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

..gently caress, they should have gone somewhere only playing 60s stuff

Wish granted

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Moltke posted:

what do you even think this could possibly mean? like they don't have a zombie protagonist? what exactly are you trying to get out of denying that zombie media exist and TLOU is just another example of it? what does this change for you, besides acknowledging that the show is largely unoriginal?

You seem to be very bad about analyzing media, so I'll try to be straightforward.

Lots of books, movies, games, etc. feature zombies, but many aren't actually about zombies! Zombies in general serve as a useful tool for the author to create a threat to society and to the protagonists, but the actual use of zombies can vary wildly from work to work. Take the Resident Evil franchise — zombies are a primary threat, sure, but so are all the mutated animals and genetically engineered abominations. The zombies exist for our protagonists to shoot and be threatened by, while the actual plot is mostly about corporate malfeasance or maniacs plotting world domination. You could replace the zombies with, say, dinosaurs and end up with very similar games and/or plots, and very little would change.

In The Last of Us, the zombies caused the downfall of society, but again the show isn't really about the zombies — as mentioned, they barely feature in half the episodes. The show is about the breakdown of human society and relationships, and how humans are often the greatest threat to each other. Boston and Kansas City are mirrors of Bill and Frank and Jackson, showing how surviving and even thriving in the post-apocalypse is possible, but only once we trust, love, and forgive each other and ourselves. You could easily replace the zombies with some other dangerous/lingering plague and the story would be identical.

Is zombie fiction an identifiable genre? Sure, in the same way that Werewolf or Vampire fiction exists and shares certain conventions or tropes. But existing in the same loose genre does not make works within those genres directly comparable, except for in how they use the trappings of those genres. The plot and setting of The Last of Us is far more comparable to something like, as mentioned, Children of Men than it does with loving Zombieland.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There should be more zombies on this show, honestly.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Only 2 in this episode

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

"There should be more sharks in Jaws"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

isnt that the seqels?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So I think the show pretty much confirmed that it’s in the teen girls at the mall genre in this episode. Gonna have to rewatch the rest of the season through this lens.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Man though I really can't get over the idea that Zombieland is directly comparable to TLOU just because it contains zombies. Like, dude, did you see Zombieland? It's a comedy film where the zombies exist as a vehicle for jokes and as something for the protagonists to shoot at.
Zombieland also has a road trip aspect, but yeah.

Mantis42 posted:

Hell yeah Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
:colbert: :cheeky:

deoju fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 27, 2023

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

That would loving rule, yea

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Lots of books, movies, games, etc. feature zombies, but many aren't actually about zombies!

you're right, a tv or movie has to star a zombie actor or have a zombie protagonist to be a zombie show. this isn't just some massively dumb understanding you have.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You could replace the zombies with, say, dinosaurs and end up with very similar games and/or plots, and very little would change.

i agree, if you change everything about the environment, setting, and plot, nothing would change. a t rex and a shambling horde of undead are the same. jurassic park and TLOU are basically identical.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In The Last of Us, the zombies caused the downfall of society, but again the show isn't really about the zombies — as mentioned, they barely feature in half the episodes. The show is about the breakdown of human society and relationships, and how humans are often the greatest threat to each other.

you have described every zombie show mentioned so far. TWD, zombieland, 28 days later, all follow this same formula. no zombie show is actually "about the zombies" but about the survivors.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Is zombie fiction an identifiable genre? Sure

bingo - this is what i'm arguing. thank you for agreeing with me

a show as derivative as TLOU can be compared to more than 1 show at the same time. the only person actually talking about zombieland (beyond the fact that it is also zombie apocalypse genre) is you and the other downton/boardwalk weirdo.

i think you're getting stuck on the word "direct" (which only you are using) as some sort of proxy for meaning the shows have to be the exactly the same to find similarities. no one is saying this.

Moltke fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 27, 2023

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The most realistic post-apocalyptic zombie movie is Come and See

Moltke
May 13, 2009

deoju posted:

Zombieland also has a road trip aspect, but yeah.

not only that, but it has the old gruff man with the adopted child relationship at the same time. the big difference is that zombieland has a lot more original content than TLOU.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Moltke posted:

not only that, but it has the old gruff man with the adopted child relationship at the same time. the big difference is that zombieland has a lot more original content than TLOU.

I'm responding to this knowing the risk you're about to fly completely off the loving handle again, but you're just saying the show has no original content over and over and not actually defining what you want or what that would mean or what you consider "original," or hell, why anyone should even care.

Like, you seem to be intentionally misunderstanding people at this point. Your posting is, at best, extremely tedious and gives other people nothing to meaningfully engage with. That's why you've been getting needled so much. If you're gonna threadshit, be more interesting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Moltke posted:

you're right, there was a broader trend for islamophobia a mere 2 years after 9/11, which was downward

Oh wait, holy poo poo, you're this guy lmao

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Arist posted:

I'm responding to this knowing the risk you're about to fly completely off the loving handle again, but you're just saying the show has no original content over and over and not actually defining what you want or what that would mean or what you consider "original," or hell, why anyone should even care.

Like, you seem to be intentionally misunderstanding people at this point. Your posting is, at best, extremely tedious and gives other people nothing to meaningfully engage with. That's why you've been getting needled so much. If you're gonna threadshit, be more interesting.

the last time i asked you questions to clarify your positions you blew me off and said i cared too much. you are not posting in good faith, just trying to get owns on your perceived enemies.

i will not be writing a manual of definitions for you just to engage with posters in the thread.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Moltke posted:

i agree, if you change everything about the environment, setting, and plot, nothing would change. a t rex and a shambling horde of undead are the same. jurassic park and TLOU are basically identical.

I could really single out any single part of your post, but Christ you're a stupid loving rear end in a top hat.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Like I am legitimately shocked you have the literacy to post on these forums, given that you can't loving read

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I could really single out any single part of your post, but Christ you're a stupid loving rear end in a top hat.

you can respond to my posts about the show or not, the power is yours

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arist posted:

After a certain point all you can do with a serial threadshitter is ignore them.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’m not sure what the hell kind of argument is currently going on in this thread, other than that some people are just now discovering what themes and metaphors are and how they function in stories.

This was a great episode though. Storm Reid was great and she and Bella Ramsay had excellent chemistry. I’d say this is easily the best episode so far.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
i dont understand at all, i said was that zombie apocalypse is a genre and these 3 pedantic weirdos have been gangstalking me across 3 pages now, responding to my messages and getting angry when i reply back.

like this forums exists to discuss the show. what do you expect

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Moltke posted:

the last time i asked you questions to clarify your positions you blew me off and said i cared too much. you are not posting in good faith, just trying to get owns on your perceived enemies.

i will not be writing a manual of definitions for you just to engage with posters in the thread.

Okay, cool, then either shut up or keep getting yelled at.

When I made fun of you for caring too much about extremely inane bullshit, it was because you were posting exactly like you are right now.

Moltke posted:

i dont understand at all, i said was that zombie apocalypse is a genre and these 3 pedantic weirdos have been gangstalking me across 3 pages now, responding to my messages and getting angry when i reply back.

like this forums exists to discuss the show. what do you expect

gangstalking!? loving hell, you're a riot

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Is the TLOU a show on par with shows like Succession? No. Is it better than 99% of new content that comes out? Easily. I feel there is a lot of things people want to complain about but know they can’t without looking bad, so instead we get this ridiculous level of nitpicking about how original or realistic things are.

Weird how no one complained when bad guy prevailed for the umpteenth time in GoT season 1-4 yet the show was being praised for subverting expectations, or how so many battles take place off screen, or how realistic the show was wishing it’s own rules. Jaqen Hagar, magical assassin who is basically a deus ex machina character to Arya, and can murder scores of people and mount their bodies on spikes undetected, gets captured by those same chumps and is unable to escape without the help of a little girl? My immersion is ruined.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"The Contractor" that's pretty cool

Yeah we were cool, everybody loved contractors.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

wizardofloneliness posted:

I’m not sure what the hell kind of argument is currently going on in this thread, other than that some people are just now discovering what themes and metaphors are and how they function in stories.

This was a great episode though. Storm Reid was great and she and Bella Ramsay had excellent chemistry. I’d say this is easily the best episode so far.

I mostly agree, I was kind of dreading this episode last week because hey, do we need a flashback to a bunch of stuff we already basically know happened? But it was wonderfully executed and I'd say it never hurts to actually see and not just be told something about a character's formative experiences. I'm not sure I'd rate it above episode 3 overall but it's definitely a strong one.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am not sure how I feel about them not showing the outcome. Yes, we know how it turns out, but I was curious how Ellie convinced the Fireflies not to shoot her when they found her (I assume that Left Behind happens right before we meet Ellie in episode 1?). That said the other half of me is relieved it ended where it did, to sparing us with Riley turning and Ellie facing that. I played TLOU, but never the DLC, so this was new to me. You think they will go back to that again or is that it (I assume latter)?

Bella Ramsey kills it every week. I had doubts about her (hard to judge her on just GoT), but she has some range. I have a feeling she is going to have a few long career.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

McSpanky posted:

I mostly agree, I was kind of dreading this episode last week because hey, do we need a flashback to a bunch of stuff we already basically know happened? But it was wonderfully executed and I'd say it never hurts to actually see and not just be told something about a character's formative experiences. I'm not sure I'd rate it above episode 3 overall but it's definitely a strong one.

We got a huge amount of Joel backstory in episode 1, and the underlying thread of the show so far and a huge chunk of episode 6 was all about Joel reuniting with his brother. We got next to nothing about Ellie, so it was due, but at the same time I do question the decision to go with a 9 episode season, when we dedicated 2 episodes to go off on a tangent from the main plot. One of the most valid criticisms is how rushed a lot of the main story feels - and doing 1 fewer episode compared to the standard tv season feels like a poor decision.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

McSpanky posted:

I’m in an extreme minority and thought episode 3 was way too schmaltzy and broadly sentimental to be genuinely affecting, but I absolutely loved Riley and Ellie’s relationship in this one. They did a great job conveying all the poo poo they’ve been through and why they care for each other so much, while also having some much needed character development for Ellie that also relates to Joel’s role in her life. And I appreciated that they didn’t go into too much detail about the ending because it’s easy enough to put together.

This is the kind of episode that really relies on the actors to bring it on the unspoken parts, and those two definitely did.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

TyrantWD posted:

We got a huge amount of Joel backstory in episode 1, and the underlying thread of the show so far and a huge chunk of episode 6 was all about Joel reuniting with his brother. We got next to nothing about Ellie, so it was due, but at the same time I do question the decision to go with a 9 episode season, when we dedicated 2 episodes to go off on a tangent from the main plot. One of the most valid criticisms is how rushed a lot of the main story feels - and doing 1 fewer episode compared to the standard tv season feels like a poor decision.

I think they said the last 2 episodes are very long for TV episodes so I think they have enough time.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

TyrantWD posted:

Is the TLOU a show on par with shows like Succession? No. Is it better than 99% of new content that comes out? Easily. I feel there is a lot of things people want to complain about but know they can’t without looking bad, so instead we get this ridiculous level of nitpicking about how original or realistic things are.

Weird how no one complained when bad guy prevailed for the umpteenth time in GoT season 1-4 yet the show was being praised for subverting expectations, or how so many battles take place off screen, or how realistic the show was wishing it’s own rules. Jaqen Hagar, magical assassin who is basically a deus ex machina character to Arya, and can murder scores of people and mount their bodies on spikes undetected, gets captured by those same chumps and is unable to escape without the help of a little girl? My immersion is ruined.

Game of Thrones 1-4 had many, many compelling characters though and the overall story always felt like it was going somewhere with momentum. I haven't played the game so I can't say if something was lost in translation with The Last Of Us, but to me this show is pretty standard stuff with every episode and tonight's episode further drove that home. I don't particularly care about Joel or Ellie and their motivations. Its an okay 7/10, maybe a 6. The next True Detective S1 or Chernobyl it certainly is not.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I do feel like this should be 10 episodes or that we need (more) longer episodes. It did concern me when I read the finale is only 47 minutes, I mean really? Give me 90 minutes at least please. That said if that is the most negative thing I can say about the show (which it is), that is a win. I do imagine if the rumors about them doing 2 seasons for the 2nd game, it will slow down some.

Hollismason posted:

I think they said the last 2 episodes are very long for TV episodes so I think they have enough time.

Next episode is like 51 minutes and the finale is 47 minutes from what I read. I have some thoughts on why the finale is not long, but I will save them for after the finale.

Edit:

Khanstant posted:

haven't played the games or felt things were rushed.

To be clear I don’t think rushed at all. The pace is perfect and works without all the video game bullshit. My worry is about having enough time to finish.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 27, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haven't played the games or felt things were rushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

nate fisher posted:

I played TLOU, but never the DLC, so this was new to me. You think they will go back to that again or is that it (I assume latter)?

If you decide you want to know what happens in the DLC, That's it. "What's 'option 3?' :cry:." Scene ends. What ultimately happens to Riley, and how Ellie met up with Marlene are never shown.

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 27, 2023