Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Another great game for the deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Might have even been recorded with Decky recorder.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

PantsBandit posted:

I want to like Pizza Tower but the first time I played it felt like I was barely in control. Lots of sensory input while wrestling with tons of tech and being expected to go fast.

On top of that the UI and progression is purposefully confusing.

Once I have time to commit to just that I'll get back to it, feel like it will be more fun once I get the basics down.

It's one of those games that feels difficult to master but after level 3 it clicks. Like Rocket League, you'll learn the controls in about 10 minutes but it takes some time for you to feel confident

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s so nice to have a device that doesn’t need to be jailbroken or hacked to use it how I want

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s so nice to have a device that doesn’t need to be jailbroken or hacked to use it how I want

Yeah, same. When I was looking to get certain older, barely available games on it, I remember thinking "yeah, but I'd need to download stuff with a browser, unzip it, install it.... hey, wait a minute....".

I love that it's both a steam game playing machine, and a regular-rear end Linux pc.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Battery settings

So, any reason as to why this setting just recently started making certain things look super low res? I've had it on since I don't know when, a while back, and never noticed any of the things it's doing now. Seems like it kicked in (or maybe is working in conjunction with something else?) since I installed and ran the Cryo utility. Not complaining, since I think that thing is genuinely improving things, just seems weird.

Then again, maybe poo poo was broken BEFORE, and the option wasn't doing what it was supposed to until recently, maybe after an OS update.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m having issues getting RDR 2 running, it’s the epic games version of course.

I got heroic launcher, installed RDR2 from the epic store, got through the rockstar launcher bullshit, fixed the error 18 per the instructions on protondb and now I’m having the problem where the game runs at like 1fps.

There is a mention in protondb that says:

quote:

If you are getting 1FPS in game, modify the settings file in desktop mode. The file is /home/deck/Games/Heroic/Prefixes/Red Dead Redemption 2/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Documents/Rockstar Games/Red Dead Redemption 2/Settings/system.xml . Change the following lines to:

And then there is nothing after that about what to change the xml file to.

Anyone know? It’s the second post down on the RDR2 protondb page.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m having issues getting RDR 2 running, it’s the epic games version of course.

I got heroic launcher, installed RDR2 from the epic store, got through the rockstar launcher bullshit, fixed the error 18 per the instructions on protondb and now I’m having the problem where the game runs at like 1fps.

There is a mention in protondb that says:

And then there is nothing after that about what to change the xml file to.

Anyone know? It’s the second post down on the RDR2 protondb page.

Googling for "/home/deck/Games/Heroic/Prefixes/Red Dead Redemption 2/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Documents/Rockstar Games/Red Dead Redemption 2/Settings/system.xml" gives https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/xhoy9l/red_dead_redemption_2_rockstar_launcher_version/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm, I missed that somehow I guess. Thank you!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, same. When I was looking to get certain older, barely available games on it, I remember thinking "yeah, but I'd need to download stuff with a browser, unzip it, install it.... hey, wait a minute....".

I love that it's both a steam game playing machine, and a regular-rear end Linux pc.

So, any reason as to why this setting just recently started making certain things look super low res? I've had it on since I don't know when, a while back, and never noticed any of the things it's doing now. Seems like it kicked in (or maybe is working in conjunction with something else?) since I installed and ran the Cryo utility. Not complaining, since I think that thing is genuinely improving things, just seems weird.

Then again, maybe poo poo was broken BEFORE, and the option wasn't doing what it was supposed to until recently, maybe after an OS update.

Cryo does nothing to affect what's going on with you.

Just factory reset

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sucks you can’t just spoof your user agent on GeForce now to play genshin impact on it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

jokes posted:

Sucks you can’t just spoof your user agent on GeForce now to play genshin impact on it.

Do you have an nvidia gpu?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Barreft posted:

Do you have an nvidia gpu?

Yeah I could do it through moonlight I GUESS

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

jokes posted:

Yeah I could do it through moonlight I GUESS

lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Probably one of the best take aways I've read on the Deck to be honest.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Here's how easy Moonlight is once set up, along with opening up my favorite game ever for my friend from earlier
https://streamable.com/m5ld5c

Decky help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8l-fPgQCus

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 27, 2023

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i was all ready to spend an afternoon trying to get the deck to recognize & pair with some old PS3 controllers and then all I had to do was… plug em in

love this thing

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

sound

https://i.imgur.com/tNDXV5e.mp4

lol. im obsessed with decky recorder

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Decky Recorder is insane.

It'll be great to see straight footage of how games run on Deck without scouring posts to see if anyone tried a game out. It's all going to be a YouTube search away.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It allows mp4, mkv, and mov recording. I thought quicktime mov died 20 years ago lol. mp4 is small enough I can post to imgur or streamable but if anyone knows a better video hosting site.

I guess you can upload to youtube, but that destroys the anon factor of it lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Here's Digimon, just came out. This isn't Moonlight, straight Deck

https://i.imgur.com/4hHvzTs.mp4

3ds is a pain in the rear end, but I've gotten close to good UI
https://i.imgur.com/3gmu3ig.mp4

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 27, 2023

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I just verified that one of the most important games of all times is playable on the Steam Deck.

Jet Set Radio Future runs just fine on Xemu on the Deck. I can now play JSRF portably. I love this machine.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vlaphor posted:

I just verified that one of the most important games of all times is playable on the Steam Deck.

Jet Set Radio Future runs just fine on Xemu on the Deck. I can now play JSRF portably. I love this machine.

Please Decky-Record under 60 seconds and upload it to imgur lol

https://i.imgur.com/NOGZ9Wx.mp4

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 27, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vlaphor posted:

Same, but Timesplitters 2 and 3.

Burnout 3: Takedown loads at first, but then I can't see anything.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Barreft posted:

Please Decky-Record under 60 seconds and upload it to imgur lol

For some reason, it isn't loading, so here's the page. It may load later.

https://imgur.com/a/rKyHCNo

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ragequit posted:

Few pages late, but I found Crystal Project to be a perfect Deck game. Played it start to 100% purely handheld. You can fire it up for a few minutes to explore, unlock some of the map, attempt a few jumping puzzles to find secrets/chests, or play for hours. A match for any life schedule.

It's definitely an amazing deck game, but I kinda agree that the platforming sucks. It would be fine if it didn't demand you be pretty precise with your jumps a lot of the time.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vlaphor posted:

For some reason, it isn't loading, so here's the page. It may load later.
https://i.imgur.com/bcLhhLv.mp4

lol omg he's so annoying, still rules.

Deck life

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

It's definitely an amazing deck game, but I kinda agree that the platforming sucks. It would be fine if it didn't demand you be pretty precise with your jumps a lot of the time.

Platformings more then half the game and it gets *infuriating*

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Recently got the credits in Pizza Tower on the deck, my controller issues have been fully solved by having it forget the previous settings and reconnecting our 8bitdo as a generic xbox controller. When my partner tries to play final fantasy through emustation though, the buttons are all messed up, and trying to rebind them through retroarch just seemed to mess stuff up more. Is there an easy fix there? Should we try reinstalling emustation or something?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Barreft posted:

Platformings more then half the game and it gets *infuriating*

Believe me, I know. I've already dealt with a lot of obnoxious platforming in that game. I hope more mounts happen to make it a little less annoying, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

Believe me, I know. I've already dealt with a lot of obnoxious platforming in that game. I hope more mounts happen to make it a little less annoying, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up

I stopped shortly after getting the mount that made you go faster.

The fact it made you jump lower then unmounted, and you still got dunked and restarted in any inch of water made me pass.

I just wanna play FFV dudes

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Barreft posted:

I stopped shortly after getting the mount that made you go faster.

The fact it made you jump lower then unmounted, and you still got dunked and restarted in any inch of water made me pass.

I just wanna play FFV dudes

Did you get the whistle that lets you summon the fast mount wherever? It really takes the bite off the lower jumps when you can just hop off for a second to get a higher jump. The platforming still generally sucks though, it just means there are needlessly precise long jumps now. :sigh:

But yeah I agree, I just wanna play FFV.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

Did you get the whistle that lets you summon the fast mount wherever? It really takes the bite off the lower jumps when you can just hop off for a second to get a higher jump. The platforming still generally sucks though, it just means there are needlessly precise long jumps now. :sigh:

But yeah I agree, I just wanna play FFV.

Yeah I got the whistle. I didn't care. I wanted a team building rpg and I still had to try and climb cliffs, trees or mushrooms and when I missed had to do it over and over.

Octopath 2 probably won't win any awards but it's fulfilling FFV way more than crystal project could.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Barreft posted:

Yeah I got the whistle. I didn't care. I wanted a team building rpg and I still had to try and climb cliffs, trees or mushrooms and when I missed had to do it over and over.

Octopath 2 probably won't win any awards but it's fulfilling FFV way more than crystal project could.

Fair enough. I'm enjoying Crystal Project enough to tolerate that, it's not a huge deal for me, but I can definitely see it being a dealbreaker for other folks.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Vlaphor posted:

Tip about JSRF, it's possible to hex edit the .xbe file to enable HD resolutions, I've been able to scale it up nicely for my 4k TV outside the deck, but I presume the same trick would result in nicer graphics on the deck too. Here's the notes from when I did it: "640 is the horizontal resolution and 480 the vertical. These are reversed Hex values so. 640 in hex is 02 80 and reversed 80 02, so 3840 is 00 0F and 2160 is 70 08. So you would open the .xbe in a Hex editor and search the lines listed so search 80020000C7442410E0010000 and replace the 8002 with 000F and the E001 with 7008. This method also works with Ultrawide resolutions the only downside is that the Hud ends up smaller."

Been loving the Deck, I have an absolutely massive Steam library and it's been great jumping back in with something on the go. In less than two months I've beaten:
  • Hades
  • Tails of Iron
  • HZD
  • Titan Souls
  • Death's Door
  • Death Stranding
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Boneraiser Minions
  • Blasphemous

with just tons of poking at other small titles on the side like Full Bore and Dome Keeper. Considering Rain World or Shovel Knight next... or replay MGV... or finish Hitman 3... or... or....

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 27, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Atoramos posted:

Been loving the Deck, I have an absolutely massive Steam library
with just tons of poking at other small titles on the side like Full Bore and Dome Keeper. Considering Rain World or Shovel Knight next... or replay MGV... or finish Hitman 3... or... or....

The Deck has been terrible for my ADD as well

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m running out of games to tinker with so that I can run them on my deck, I guess I’m actually gonna have to play these loving games someday.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Anyone tried Return of the obra dinn on steam deck? It looks like an interesting game and was wondering if it'd be a good portable deck title.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Anyone tried Return of the obra dinn on steam deck? It looks like an interesting game and was wondering if it'd be a good portable deck title.

Yes it runs fine. text is readable and no major issues. idk what im doing in the game but, performance is fine

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Only issue with Obra Dinn is it's best played co-op. I played it with my sister and we had an excellent week discussing theories and ideas over lunches and whatnot. Definitely one I wish I could memory-wipe and start anew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Barreft posted:

The Deck has been terrible for my ADD as well
I've been solving that by only installing what I'm actually playing and moving games that I'm "done with" to a micro SD, so only my current projects are actually on the Deck's internal storage.