Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/syria-chemical-attack-gas-douma-robert-fisk-ghouta-damascus-a8307726.html

“I was with my family in the basement of my home three hundred metres from here on the night but all the doctors know what happened. There was a lot of shelling [by government forces] and aircraft were always over Douma at night – but on this night, there was wind and huge dust clouds began to come into the basements and cellars where people lived. People began to arrive here suffering from hypoxia, oxygen loss. Then someone at the door, a “White Helmet”, shouted “Gas!”, and a panic began. People started throwing water over each other. Yes, the video was filmed here, it is genuine, but what you see are people suffering from hypoxia – not gas poisoning.”

Hang the gently caress on, are you saying a us state department funded NGO exploited a real event to twist it into something usable for propaganda against a geopolitical enemy of the US?! What are you, some kind of conspiracy theorist??? - gbs war profiteer guy probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i liked your earlier work

Lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cuttlefush posted:

if anyone wants to read this and found that nyt wised up to some of the usual paywall bypasses: https://archive.ph/Cnxor

looks like most of it is just put together using quotes from https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy1286.

no actual information in either. it's just that exact statement.

Yeah, usually what comments there are from the US treasury they have are usually misleading. They claim "the most talented people have left the country" when 80% of the IT people that left are working from home. That Russian oil/gas revenue are down substantially from Feb/March 2022, when Brent peaked at $123 in March, everyone's revenue is down a year later. Or, that the average price of a Russian barrel of crude is not substantial lower than international prices at $74. That Russia's budget deficit is somehow unsustainable at 2% of GDP. It is just boilerplate.

Also I guess the Chinese are shipping them bad chips or something.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nix Panicus posted:

Gotta love artificial scarcity!

I feel like the number of 'Inflation is because of Russia's war' news articles has gone down over time, and now its either gaslighting that there is no inflation or that inflation is due to greedy workers getting paid too much, mixed in with a small but growing number of stories that link inflation directly to corporate profits

i would agree but energy bills are now starting to go out for the winter quarterly period, and mine had just quadrupled since last year

lots of people over the next few weeks are going to either have their entire months salary or savings wiped out, on top of basic living expenses being a third more expensive already

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

sum posted:

Speaking of anecdotes about Ukrainian casualties, the Economist published the anonymous diary of a Ukrainian volunteer about a week ago. It was written over the summer and it's pretty grim reading, but there's some choice quotes:
https://archive.ph/UAQ2w

Later on his company gets pummeled by Russian artillery while doing a reconnaissance in force around Donetsk and has to be withdrawn from the line just three days after arriving. The overall picture is of an army that's at a heavy firepower deficit and has been practically hollowed out because of it.

this is all very grim but the way it's written - maybe just the way it's been translated and edited? - makes this feel like 100% creative writing. not because of the portrayal of the state of the AFU, but just how perfectly structured it all is and how it follows an arc and has distinct characters and foreshadowing and payoffs and so on

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I imagine they felt vindicated when Russia's offensive ground to a halt a few months into the invasion

Artillery shells are famously useless in protracted trench warfare

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cuttlefush posted:

wide variety but the us stuff that's export controlled is usually basic rear end stuff that any embedded system is going to use. not sure how great this article is but these examples are generic enough https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/ukraine-crisis-russia-missiles-chips/

the parts that russia imported are mostly the same poo poo that's in everything.

Basically, the whole microwave/appliance chip thing was based on the fact that Russian missiles use a common older TI DSP that is in a ton of different equipment. But, a Tomahawk missile isn't using the latest chips in it either, they aren't designed for ray-tracing. It was making a big deal out of absolutely nothing, a common occurrence in this war.

John Charity Spring posted:

this is all very grim but the way it's written - maybe just the way it's been translated and edited? - makes this feel like 100% creative writing. not because of the portrayal of the state of the AFU, but just how perfectly structured it all is and how it follows an arc and has distinct characters and foreshadowing and payoffs and so on

I wouldn't be surprised some of it is embellished. A lot of volunteers have claimed tall tales, but it doesn't really make sense they would lie across the board about casualty rates (that are often admitted by the AFU itself in roundabout ways) rather everyone wants to spicy their war experience up more than "yeah I sat in a trench, once in a while we lost a guy."

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:59 on Feb 27, 2023

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

he could be the new hemingway actually

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

Indeed - if Russia still had ammo stockpiles to burn through like they did at the start of the war then they would likely be making a lot more progress.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Indeed - if Russia still had ammo stockpiles to burn through like they did at the start of the war then they would likely be making a lot more progress.

If I was in charge I'd have just built 20 mammoth tanks and rushed the enemy construction yard.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lmao such cope

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Would they? It seems like there are plenty of shelling occurring on a daily basis. Also, in terms of this war, progress is measures in bodies (unfortunately).

I mean there has been plenty of claims of the Russians running out of shells, but it never seems to show itself in terms of the effect of artillery on the ground.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:17 on Feb 27, 2023

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

John Charity Spring posted:

Yeah, that'll be the editing: most people have no idea how to tell a story and ramble back and forth all over the place. The journalist is there to assemble it into a structured narrative that people might actually want to read. It's probably been written up and put into a coherent chronological order from a bunch of hastily scribbled diary entries.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, that'll be the editing: most people have no idea how to tell a story and ramble back and forth all over the place. The journalist is there to assemble it into a structured narrative that people might actually want to read. It's probably been written up and put into a coherent chronological order from a bunch of hastily scribbled diary entries.

But it has probably also been slightly punched up here and there to make it flow better. "They sway in rhythm as though they are playing Wembley stadium." probably started off as something cruder and blunter but with the same general sentiment

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Jel Shaker posted:

the only recent stories i’ve read about chips being 40% defective are when chip companies tried to diversify out of china/taiwan and set up chip manufacturing in india or the usa

india is too retarded to do chip manufacturing. We are loving up making iphone casings

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Tankbuster posted:

india is too retarded to do chip manufacturing. We are loving up making iphone casings

Isnt Apple moving manufacturing to india?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

possibly assembly but that's way different

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
In worrying news: the Big Mac has returned to Russia, they finally broke the code.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ardennes posted:

In worrying news: the Big Mac has returned to Russia, they finally broke the code.

I cant believe they figured out the secret to pretend meat covered in ketchup-mayo slop

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

I cant believe they figured out the secret to pretend meat covered in ketchup-mayo slop

I know it is shocking. We need to get our economy in gear to fight this thing, add some garlic to the sauce , do something!

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

ketchup/mayo/relish is in-and-out's sauce. big mac sauce is mayo/mustard/relish with paprika for color

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Al-Saqr posted:

nup

https://twitter.com/Eazzayyy/status/1628311164240134145?t=kEVpObLiXCRy2c-yhf38rw&s=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgDm7z7B1dc

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

No you see Russia didn't run through it's stockpiles of cruise missiles and artillery shells. It's firing 50% less artillery shells today than it was firing last April because there's less nazis now and the war is going really well. They're definitely not just firing at the rate that production can keep up with.

Nix Panicus posted:

Yeah, it's a good thing you can run your logistics through trenches to and from the front

mrcooldude
Feb 25, 2023

by Hand Knit

kronix posted:

No you see Russia didn't run through it's stockpiles of cruise missiles and artillery shells. It's firing 50% less artillery shells today than it was firing last April because there's less nazis now and the war is going really well. They're definitely not just firing at the rate that production can keep up with.

Yeah, it's a good thing you can run your logistics through trenches to and from the front

you are painfully dumb

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Why? is it a race? Do you get a cheevo if you conquer Ukraine in under a year?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Al-Saqr posted:

look its gonna take a decade+

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hearing "artillery isn't useful in a protracted war" from a military contractor helps me understand why the Americans spent 20 years losing to goat herders with homemade weapons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ironic that Apple is getting something accomplished in India after Jobs never could.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

kronix posted:

With geniuses like you working for the US MIC at least we know that WW3 will have JDPONbros gloating for 15 minutes until the nuclear war starts.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Seriously, American advice on how to win a war is like a turtle's advice on how to fly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
why would Russia still be shelling in places where they aren't fighting

like, wouldn't a reduction in shell expenditures be just as well as explained by "the front is a lot shorter compared to last April"

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Tankbuster posted:

With geniuses like you working for the US MIC at least we know that WW3 will have JDPONbros gloating for 15 minutes until the nuclear war starts.

oh stop they already said that they didn't help do the things that killed people, cut them some slack

they only helped the killers to get properly paid and make the killing more functional

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

50% of a lot is still a lot though

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Is anyone really good at war

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
apropos of nothing you absolutely can discuss boring NATO history in this thread, adjacent or not!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

polacks.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

funnily enough, the orks are great at war. They have never been defeated, because if they win they win, if they die they're dead (doesn't count), and if they run away it's just so they can come back later for another go

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

kronix posted:

Even if it is 50% less (who knows) that is a massive amount of firepower being continually dropped on the AFU during a relative quiet period of the war. If they can keep even that level of production up the Ukrainians going to be taking unsustainable casualties. This is compared to the Ukrainians who are being told to conserve ammo because there isn’t much more coming.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

kronix posted:

Hey dude quick question what makes you morally better than the most rabid russian war criminal considering you actively participated in the same thing putin is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey dude quick question what makes you morally better than the most rabid russian war criminal considering you actively helped pull off the same thing putin is doing.

america good country democracy russia bad country authoritarianism