Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

UB does lead to kind of awkward situations like not being able to use Hobbit as a creature type because it'll be in the Magic comp rules for the rest of human history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

UB does lead to kind of awkward situations like not being able to use Hobbit as a creature type because it'll be in the Magic comp rules for the rest of human history

Nah, they used Tyranid as a creature type in the 40k one. I imagine it's because there's already halflings from AFR

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I dunno, it feels like GW could have gave permission for that but the Tolkien estate not. I think the number of people who sincerely care about Halfling tribal is probably pretty small

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

In LOTR, Halfling is literally the name name for Hobbits used by Men. It's way more good for the game to create tribal synergies than to create yet another narrow creature type that will have only a handful of cards.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 27, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Assuming those are even real--and acknowledging it's a minor convenience sample--I wouldn't mind the LotR set sucking, any downward pressure on price for what's otherwise probably gonna be a pretty high-demand set is fine by me. It'll probably be the first paper product I've bought in 20 years.

I like the riddle mechanic on Gollum, seems pretty flavorful. The Frodo is interesting not just in revealing the "tempt" mechanic, but I've been really curious as to how the color pie is gonna be divvied up amongst the characters. To me, "hobbit=green" seems pretty obvious, but considering the outsized presence of Hobbits in LotR, it doesn't seem feasible for about half the cards in the set be green.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 27, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any half decent curve out from the toxic deck seems fairly unbeatable for mono U. The deck’s just too slow getting on board. Rot priest means your bounce is getting you poisoned, and regardless it’s hardly gaining tempo when all their creatures are so cheap. Plus one drops will very likely get in under your counters.

Can’t really complain about the deck, though, cause it was really cheap to craft, and I still have a pretty good win rate overall. The toxic deck just seems pretty popular.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

To me, "hobbit=green" seems pretty obvious, but considering the outsized presence of Hobbits in LotR, it doesn't seem feasible for about half the cards in the set be green.

Unless they're going heavily into tertiary characters there's 5 hobbits (Bilbo, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) compared to about twice that many major humans (Aragorn, Boromir, Faramir, Isildur, Denethor, Eomer, Eowyn, Theodin, Grima, technically the Ring-Wraiths, not actually but in general knowledge Gandalf and Saruman)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Unless they're going heavily into tertiary characters there's 5 hobbits (Bilbo, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) compared to about twice that many major humans (Aragorn, Boromir, Faramir, Isildur, Denethor, Eomer, Eowyn, Theodin, Grima, technically the Ring-Wraiths, not actually but in general knowledge Gandalf and Saruman)

Right. Now compare the space the hobbits are given in the books compared to the rest of the characters. Quite literally half of Two Towers and Return of the King are devoted to just two of those five (three if we wanna splash Smeagol as still a hobbit).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

YggdrasilTM posted:

The main point of a calzone it is that it is
1) fully closed (no "two slices")
2) made with pizza dough
3) stuffed with pizza base toppings.

Sounds like a control deck.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

Right. Now compare the space the hobbits are given in the books compared to the rest of the characters. Quite literally half of Two Towers and Return of the King are devoted to just two of those five (three if we wanna splash Smeagol as still a hobbit).

Yes, no one disagrees they're given the most narrative space and time, dude with a Middle-Earth avatar. However, that isn't generally how MtG sets construct their various casts of characters - unless you think Skrelv, Defector Mite has a ten page backstory devoted to him. R&D will come up with a bunch of different legends and it'll be fine, you won't get 5 different versions of Merry like this is a 90s Decipher CCG.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
as someone who read through the two towers and return of the king, i think frodo and sam could have done with a little bit less narrative space

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

unless you think Skrelv, Defector Mite has a ten page backstory devoted to him.

Has or should have

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Who will be a planeswalker in the LotR set

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Kashuno posted:

The Istari + Sauron, maybe

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kashuno posted:

Either the wizards like Gandalf, or it'll be like 40k and just not have any.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
really peeved the commander decks didn't give us Skruntch, Dyno Mite

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

YggdrasilTM posted:

In LOTR, Halfling is literally the name name for Hobbits used by Men. It's way more good for the game to create tribal synergies than to create yet another narrow creature type that will have only a handful of cards.

Correct. In the LotR LCG from Fantasy Flight, they use both terms for the same character, and clearly have license for Hobbit.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Arivia posted:

Yes, no one disagrees they're given the most narrative space and time, dude with a Middle-Earth avatar. However, that isn't generally how MtG sets construct their various casts of characters - unless you think Skrelv, Defector Mite has a ten page backstory devoted to him. R&D will come up with a bunch of different legends and it'll be fine, you won't get 5 different versions of Merry like this is a 90s Decipher CCG.

There are cards besides creatures in Magic sets, you know. Instants, sorceries, enchantments, artifacts, lands and battles? Can also reference characters, which circles back to me wondering how the color pie is gonna be divvied up.

Also I have no idea how M:TG lore is written, I don’t pay attention to any of that poo poo, I have no idea whether a given legendary has a bunch of story or not, all I know is the flavor text I read on cards.

I never would’ve thought “I wonder how they’re gonna handle colors with this totally new to M:TG setting” would’ve resulted in someone trying to low-key dunk on me but oh yeah it’s the Magic thread lol

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

There are cards besides creatures in Magic sets, you know. Instants, sorceries, enchantments, artifacts, lands and battles? Can also reference characters, which circles back to me wondering how the color pie is gonna be divvied up.

Also I have no idea how M:TG lore is written, I don’t pay attention to any of that poo poo, I have no idea whether a given legendary has a bunch of story or not, all I know is the flavor text I read on cards.

I never would’ve thought “I wonder how they’re gonna handle colors with this totally new to M:TG setting” would’ve resulted in someone trying to low-key dunk on me but oh yeah it’s the Magic thread lol

Representing a situation involving characters of a given colour doesn't necessarily mean that the associated non-creature spell needs to involve that colour - for example, Gideon is a mono-W planeswalker, but story beats that feature Gideon don't necessarily have to involve white. Rather, it's set by balance and the colour pie which in context is the sort of "essence" of the action. The card "Lead by Example" puts a +1/+1 counter on up to two target creatures. The art features Nissa (G) and Gideon (W). It does a green effect, so the story beat involving Gideon isn't really important. "Unlikely Aid" features Gideon (W) and Rakdos (BR, indeed the definitive BR), but is itself mono-black. The cards with the whole of the Gatewatch on will be either 4 or 5 colours depending if Liliana has gotten involved yet, but stuff like Zendikar Resurgent is still mono G.

On top of that, while S+F are present for about 50% of the time in the second and third volumes, a lot of the time the stuff that's happening is being done to them - eg, when they're taken by Faramir that could easily be represented by an O-Ring-like effect, which has generally been mono-W.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I just want a shelob for my ishkanah commander deck :unsmith:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

If hobbit weed isn't a card or at least referenced once this set will be an abject failure

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Representing a situation involving characters of a given colour doesn't necessarily mean that the associated non-creature spell needs to involve that colour - for example, Gideon is a mono-W planeswalker, but story beats that feature Gideon don't necessarily have to involve white. Rather, it's set by balance and the colour pie which in context is the sort of "essence" of the action. The card "Lead by Example" puts a +1/+1 counter on up to two target creatures. The art features Nissa (G) and Gideon (W). It does a green effect, so the story beat involving Gideon isn't really important. "Unlikely Aid" features Gideon (W) and Rakdos (BR, indeed the definitive BR), but is itself mono-black. The cards with the whole of the Gatewatch on will be either 4 or 5 colours depending if Liliana has gotten involved yet, but stuff like Zendikar Resurgent is still mono G.

On top of that, while S+F are present for about 50% of the time in the second and third volumes, a lot of the time the stuff that's happening is being done to them - eg, when they're taken by Faramir that could easily be represented by an O-Ring-like effect, which has generally been mono-W.

All good points, including Sam and Frodo’s parts in the story.

Johnny Truant posted:

If hobbit weed isn't a card or at least referenced once this set will be an abject failure

:hmmyes:

Longbottom leaf as a food token that does other stuff, too?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

MrL_JaKiri posted:

All Will Be One is a red card

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Judgy Fucker posted:

Now I'm thinking of a Meld card between Smeagol and the One Ring that becomes Gollum

Also, it would be appropriate for the Nazgul to all have Shadow, but I doubt they'll do that

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

Now I'm thinking of a Meld card between Smeagol and the One Ring that becomes Gollum

Also, it would be appropriate for the Nazgul to all have Shadow, but I doubt they'll do that

The One Ring as Mutate card.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

General Morden posted:

lol at people getting mad that aragorn is black

It's not even new information, they showed off a bunch of art months ago and we already learned that. But whatever, lovely people gonna be lovely.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Simply Simon posted:

The definitive example of story beat being contrary to the card's colours, for sure

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I'll just be happy so long as the set is sufficiently catholic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

studio mujahideen posted:

i get it. i had a guy play Fight Rigging three turns in a row, and after I countered all three he just conceded

I hate Fight Rigging more than control, so I'm gonna say "good"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Sounds like a control deck.

Chicago Style is midrange

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

lovely overcosted myhtic enchantment that's unplayable in constructed or limited is firmly in red's part of the color pie :shrug:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The definitive example of story beat being contrary to the card's colours, for sure

I think it's foreshadowing about Urabrask taking over Phyrexia, but the story is mostly bad so it could be nothing.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Kashuno posted:

Gandalf the Grey - 2WU
creature - wizard
*insert wizardy ability here*
If Gandalf the Grey dies due to damage during the combat phase, return it to play transformed.
2/3
-----------
Gandalf the White
planeswalker - Gandalf
Gandalf the White is white and has protection from demons and orcs.
+1 create a Shadowfax token, it is a 3/3 legendary white horse with haste that can only be blocked by creatures with haste.
0 fight another planeswalker (they deal damage to each other equal to the number of loyalty counters they have).
6 starting loyalty

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

If Gandalf doesn’t have R as part of his color identity then that will be a pretty bad synthesis. It’s his defining “element”—quick to temper, inspiring and motivating others, his fireworks and pinecone grenades, etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gandalf should have Magecraft

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Judgy Fucker posted:

If Gandalf doesn’t have R as part of his color identity then that will be a pretty bad synthesis. It’s his defining “element”—quick to temper, inspiring and motivating others, his fireworks and pinecone grenades, etc.

He also wears Narya, one of the three rings gifted to the elves. The Ring of Fire. It's probably the "flame of Anor" he references when trying to psyche out the Balrog in Moria. Gandalf runs around for hundreds of years, carrying a metaphorical torch to inspire action in preparation of Sauron's return. Youre dead on with this. If he ain't red, I'm dead

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Gandalf should be a calzone.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Gandalf should flip if he takes enough excess damage while blocking.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Gandalf can have any color identity as long as he has big naturals in the art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Gandalf should be a 0/100 wall with reach.