Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It was, but it's still interesting. It's not the first we've heard about sabotage and resistance in Belarus, either. If this war drags out, as looks sadly plausible, I wonder what will happen over there? Lukasjenko has proven very capable of balancing "don't anger Russia" and "don't anger his own people" well enough to stay in power*, but with Russia losing money and manpower, and pressuring him to take a more active part in a war his people dislikes, that looks increasingly difficult.

My bet is that this will end with Luka or a successor still in power, but nothing outside of them applying to join NATO would surprise me.

* With only a little bit of Russian armed forces to help him out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Imo, not a record toss, but more like in the solid mid-range. You might ask "what's that lonely tank doing there?". I'll go with "looking for mines"

https://twitter.com/giK1893/status/1630136822343905283

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Computer viking posted:

It was, but it's still interesting. It's not the first we've heard about sabotage and resistance in Belarus, either. If this war drags out, as looks sadly plausible, I wonder what will happen over there? Lukasjenko has proven very capable of balancing "don't anger Russia" and "don't anger his own people" well enough to stay in power*, but with Russia losing money and manpower, and pressuring him to take a more active part in a war his people dislikes, that looks increasingly difficult.

My bet is that this will end with Luka or a successor still in power, but nothing outside of them applying to join NATO would surprise me.

* With only a little bit of Russian armed forces to help him out...

Frankly, I'm wondering if they'll even bother to have another presidential election after how the last one turned out.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Arrath posted:

No poo poo? I would have figured that any truly ancient guns would have been retired or totally clapped out in the intervening 75 years.

Canada issued a bid request to replace their WWI-era Browning Hi-Powers like 2 years ago

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

bird food bathtub posted:

Just :lol: at the idea of anti-artillery radar blown up by artillery.

YOU HAD ONE JOB. ONE. JOB.

As a former cannon crewman, hah. That is some lift and shift poo poo. Hope they make like the mission of Marine Artillery and restore cave dwelling as an acceptable way of life to the invaders.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1630156492593672192
:wtc: have they learned nothing from the initial days of the invasion? Ukraine's air defense has only grown stronger since

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

zone posted:

:wtc: have they learned nothing from the initial days of the invasion? Ukraine's air defense has only grown stronger since

I wouldn't say they're grown stronger as much as "more distributed, resilient to being striked out of existence" I think they're probably sitting similar in number to the numbers preinvasion with their captured and donated batteries replacing the worn and destroyed ones.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

zone posted:

Eh, there have been concerns about Ukraine’s stocks of AA ammo from what I understand. In fact there’s some speculation that part of the point of the otherwise pointless terror cruise missile strikes was to disperse and deplete Ukrainian AA stocks since they can’t afford to ignore those. The Russians MAY be thinking that they’ve depleted stocks enough that they can try major air operations again. Whether they’re right about that or not, we’ll see, but it’s not completely unreasonable.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Estonia: "I loving warned you dude. I told you bro."
https://twitter.com/kajakallas/status/1630175418681524225?t=aipb3xRnfYgFzZzmXynTOA&s=19

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Throwback to exactly one year ago. Extra spicy audio here.

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1630156176162734085

Then the russians had to requisition anything with wheels and an engine, because they ran out of trucks. Remember the sausage waggon.

https://twitter.com/mr_gh0stly/status/1630155312316514305

e:

https://twitter.com/mr_gh0stly/status/1630189539485532160

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 27, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1630186804912570368
Maybe you guys could ask Strelkov about what you could actually do to win. Oh wait, even he says that Russia is boned and incapable of actually attaining any of its aims any longer.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

McNally posted:

Hey.

What other mods in other subforums prefer has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Come up with a better argument.

Well its a good thing their gross mishandling of the thread got them demodded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

shame on an IGA posted:

Canada issued a bid request to replace their WWI-era Browning Hi-Powers like 2 years ago

Pretty impressive given it was first in service in 1935 :v:

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

zone posted:

Watch it be a fleet of 500 rusted out IL-2's.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1630175329422655489
Latest Strelkov doompost. Man sounds even more philosophically despondent than he did last week.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

I don't think "being unfunny" is a good argument for not bringing up someone's analysis nor do I think you're going to get a whole lot of mileage complaining that a mod banned a slur but had no control over twitter.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

My Spirit Otter posted:

Nah. Jeff didn't want to deal with people harassing her and he could do nothing to protect her, so the decision was that she's no longer a mod and the problems just disappear. She did a very good job keeping the trash out in that thread.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Forum drama discussion goes… not here. I don’t know where, I don’t care where, but not in the Ukraine thread.

Last warning, next time I’m carpet bombing sixers.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
One of the stranger things in this conflict is the use of mineclearing vehicles in an offensive role. There's a couple of vids out there showing them, e.g. in the urban fighting in Sievierodonetsk. Here's a fresh one, it's a big boom obviously.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1630206154751066113

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

WW2. Some of the ones in service that are deemed acceptable are ROUGH.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Power Khan posted:

One of the stranger things in this conflict is the use of mineclearing vehicles in an offensive role. There's a couple of vids out there showing them, e.g. in the urban fighting in Sievierodonetsk. Here's a fresh one, it's a big boom obviously.

Eh... engineering vehicles clearing out fixed defenses isn't particularly strange; US had howitzer armed combat engineering tanks with dozer blades for basically the same purpose.

If you can get a rapidly deployable fuel air bomb into range why not use it? Especially since there seem to be mines strewn everywhere anyways.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Power Khan posted:

Meanwhile, Russian tanks are wandering unsuccessfully through minefields.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Power Khan posted:

Not to mention using the ones that launch that flexible tubing filled with explosives in towns to level blocks of buildings in one go, must have happened eight or so months ago.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
War bad!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Power Khan posted:

I don't exactly understand what's going on here. Is it launching a mine-clearing rocket or did they retrofit the launcher to fire other types of ordnance?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The US used the MCLC, the mine clearing charges where it launches a 'rope' of C4 to blow a channel, on building all over Iraq.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Alright, with the massive influx of new posts, how am I going to keep up with the thread?

I feel like I need a Tl;Dr every other page. I believe this thread had over 200 posts over the weekend.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Sentinel posted:

Watch it be a fleet of 500 rusted out IL-2's.
Don't ruin the Night Witches for us, Putin. . .

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
More MoD / Wagner logistics swiping.

https://twitter.com/chriso_wiki/status/1630129914119585794?s=46&t=3mwoKi3W2bdEdc1jiCCj5Q

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh no you two, don't fight! /s

zone
Dec 6, 2016

At this point, even seeing the two armies (Wagner and RU professional army) coming openly to blows like the Chechens and Buryats from the early days of the invasion doesn't seem unlikely.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ASAPI posted:

Alright, with the massive influx of new posts, how am I going to keep up with the thread?

I feel like I need a Tl;Dr every other page. I believe this thread had over 200 posts over the weekend.

Most of it was hollow-eyed GBS refugees handing over their posting credentials for examination by our mod and IKs as they hoped for asylum in this thread on humanitarian grounds following the destruction of their thread. Fortunately, they seem to be assimilating nicely!

For a non-shitpost contribution- this was an interesting interview with Stephen Kotkin, a historian who made his career in studying the Soviet Union. I would normally paste some good excerpts here, but the entire thing is pro-click.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Most of it was hollow-eyed GBS refugees handing over their posting credentials for examination by our mod and IKs as they hoped for asylum in this thread on humanitarian grounds following the destruction of their thread. Fortunately, they seem to be assimilating nicely!

For a non-shitpost contribution- this was an interesting interview with Stephen Kotkin, a historian who made his career in studying the Soviet Union. I would normally paste some good excerpts here, but the entire thing is pro-click.

Thanks!

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

zone posted:

At this point, even seeing the two armies (Wagner and RU professional army) coming openly to blows like the Chechens and Buryats from the early days of the invasion doesn't seem unlikely.

I still wonder if in the end Russia keeps some of its gains if Wager goes Syrian civil war and tries to carve out the Peoples Republic of Wagerneria.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Don't ruin the Night Witches for us, Putin. . .

Iirc they flew Po-2's. Which would also be hilarious.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I still wonder if in the end Russia keeps some of its gains if Wager goes Syrian civil war and tries to carve out the Peoples Republic of Wagerneria.

I don't think they have the resources they had in Syria, nor at this time the support they needed.

In Syria they operated with the support of both Russia logistically and militarily and Syria militarily, they've lost a lot of support from Russia and Ukraine is putting up a much more stubborn resistance.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

I don't think it's likely. They make a lot of noise (largely for Prigozhin's political aims), but in real terms Wagner is tiny compared to the Russian army and heavily dependent on them for supplies and heavy equipment support. They're not actually capable of independent action on a national scale. At best they could maybe successfully launch a coup, if Putin was dumb enough to station all of them in Moscow, and that's still a big old maybe and heavily dependent on political factors (i.e. who Prigozhin can sway to his side).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tomn posted:

I don't think it's likely. They make a lot of noise (largely for Prigozhin's political aims), but in real terms Wagner is tiny compared to the Russian army and heavily dependent on them for supplies and heavy equipment support. They're not actually capable of independent action on a national scale. At best they could maybe successfully launch a coup, if Putin was dumb enough to station all of them in Moscow, and that's still a big old maybe and heavily dependent on political factors (i.e. who Prigozhin can sway to his side).

And worth remembering Putin keeps a Chechen detachment in Moscow nearby specifically to help put down possible coups.

(Not that they'd be any good at it, just that Putin thinks they are loyal above all)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Putin has spent decades and decades ensuring that absolutely nobody can launch a coup against him. It's his one area of competence. I really don't see it happening. Even Wagner are just a loud mouthed faction of the military, not enough of it to do anything and their leadership is chosen for loyalty* over competence.

*For Russian values of the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

It doesn't seem likely in Europe at least. Remember, Wagner is primarily a deniable arm of the Russian state. They exist at the pleasure of the Russian state to do their off the books work. For this, Prigozhin and friends get access to Russian military bases (they have one such base as personal property, that they use as their training center) and his mercenaries get the same access to regular military facilities like Russian soldiers do. The thing is however, Prigozhin and Wagner have both fallen out of favor with the big boss himself, never mind Shoigu and Gerasimov. If you take everything into account, Putin will sooner side with Shoigu over Prigozhin because the former has shown utmost loyalty to him no matter what and is the closest person he has to a real friend, strictly speaking. It also doesn't help that he's openly and loudly made boast and brag of himself and what he did, forgetting his place in the power hierarchy. He's also no threat to the traditional power structures because he's a Tuvan, and therefore not in line for the throne itself.

They could in theory attempt to launch a palace coup, but they would have to get extremely lucky and no longer have access to the same level of equipment they once did. Strelkov himself has basically said that Wagner are persona non grata in the halls of power at the moment, and can't count on any internal support even if they do launch such an attempt.