Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Fun fact about chapter 11: Veyle has a skill that renders her immune to all damage; you literally cannot beat her. You can absolutely hypothetically beat the Hounds, though. I managed to take out Zephia and got a fairly generic "what the heck I gotta retreat" line, but then I had Alear skedaddle because Griss was using warp ragnarok every single turn and there was no way I was gonna take out a whole nother Hound without him killing someone.

Maybe something fun happens if you beat all four of them, I dunno how you'd pull it off without copious prepwork.

I mean, that's kind of lame. I get it, but, why go through the effort to make it look like you can when they asspull that. I could easily imagine that you get to beat them and then just a slightly different cutscene happens afterwards and you still have to run anyways. Or even a throwaway "they're knocked out, lets bolt!" and the map ends and they get two lines difference in the follow up cutscene.

IDK it doesn't seem like a lot of work to me but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's very doable on normal.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I had almost no chance of doing it on hard and it's pretty impossible on maddening. Just accept that it's that kind of escape chapter and move on.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, I tried on maddening and with everyone immune to effective damage there just isn't a whole lot of way to get around their giant stats and bazillion hp bars combined.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

You probably can stick Yunaka in a forest and retry the chapter over and over until you got a good string of dodge RNG, but it's also gonna take a decade

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I'm going through my second victory lap playthough on Hard, with DLC (though only got the Tiki and Hector bracelet) and managed to defeat the Four Hounds on 11. They are absolutely giant stack sticks but trickle in one by one enough that you can just barely focus them down. The only notable thing I did was focus all of my exp on characters I knew I wanted on my endgame team, so the handful I used were overlevelled. Only had one Divine Pulse charge left by the end of it, but felt pretty good.

Nothing happens lol, which is a bit of a shame, but I had a blast.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

blizzardvizard posted:

You probably can stick Yunaka in a forest and retry the chapter over and over until you got a good string of dodge RNG, but it's also gonna take a decade

You can for most of it, but it does nothing to stop engage attacks, and at least Griss can use his multiple turns in a row.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

The guide's outdated. The second DLC drop added the ability to replay the missions, though you don't get EXP.

I just replayed the mission and there were chests and some rods and gold to pick up. The spawn for the silver card was missing. I do not have it in my inventory.

Sounds like I'll have to wait for a skirmish to land on that spot

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Tbh the silver card doesn't matter really. Just play some relay trials and you get tons of free seals if you have switch online

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Last Celebration posted:

Also I think Sombron might be like, legitimately the stupidest FE antagonist in history, like I think the story in and of itself has been solid at worst but like, why would you have dozens of dragon babies as living weapons (or decide at some point to use them for that purpose, whatever) and kill the lion’s share of them without exploring your options first like you could just have more without waiting a thousand years for them to hit dragon adolescence?

Zephia might be in the running with him. Seriously girl it’s been more than a millennia and you still can’t get laid? Is dating really that hard? Griss is right there.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Tbh the silver card doesn't matter really. Just play some relay trials and you get tons of free seals if you have switch online

I used them all up so far and nothing like that for rewards. at one a day i don't know how one japanese user I saw had 218 relay battles

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

galagazombie posted:

Zephia might be in the running with him. Seriously girl it’s been more than a millennia and you still can’t get laid? Is dating really that hard? Griss is right there.

Gross; she's his mom.

The real question is why the lady entirely motivated by the desire for children spent a thousand years attempted to get impregnated by Fell Dragon Sombron, alias Cronus McChildMurder. We are forced to conclude that the Hounds are not very bright, but they don't get evil supports showing how everybody on the villain team thinks they're the only normal one.

Catla
Dec 24, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I used them all up so far and nothing like that for rewards. at one a day i don't know how one japanese user I saw had 218 relay battles

I got all my seals in Relay from 'Take Over' > 'Random'. You join someone's part completed map and it doesn't use tokens to do so you can just keep doing them until you have the seals that you want. Master Seals were from the most hits on enemies without killing them (so use a low damage unit with a lot of attacks) and Second Seals were from most Engage Uses. I assume it counts the number of affected targets as I got these most consistently using Micaiah

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Gross; she's his mom.

The real question is why the lady entirely motivated by the desire for children spent a thousand years attempted to get impregnated by Fell Dragon Sombron, alias Cronus McChildMurder. We are forced to conclude that the Hounds are not very bright, but they don't get evil supports showing how everybody on the villain team thinks they're the only normal one.

She was a dragon, she needed the baby daddy to be another dragon, and he's the only male dragon we meet in the story.

Catla
Dec 24, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, I tried on maddening and with everyone immune to effective damage there just isn't a whole lot of way to get around their giant stats and bazillion hp bars combined.

It was fine with an overleveled Framme (and more advanced classes than you would normally have at C11 due to doing a few relay trials) though I'm sure I was lucky as other fights later in the game have been more challenging. As others have said there wasn't anything special for doing it but XP is limited on maddening so I thought it best to clear the level.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Khizan posted:

She was a dragon, she needed the baby daddy to be another dragon, and he's the only male dragon we meet in the story.

Crossbreeding is a pretty well established pastime in Fire Emblem though. Several protagonists and other characters, including in this very entry, are the product of it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You can join relay battles for free.
There's randomized rewards at the end that range from tonics to seals and gifts / upgrade mats.
Then there's the MVP rewards, those usually hand out stat boosters. If you can snatch those it's a great deal.

I stand by the fact that the Silver card does not matter. You will spend most of your money forging, not buying weapons. Staves will cost some gold but if you don't waste your funds upgrading countries to level 4 or something it really does not have a big impact.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There are cheeves for buying 10+ swords etc and I don't know who is doing that.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The hounds are mostly poo poo characters but Mauvier has cool lines and they’re extremely fun to fight so that makes them good

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

RevolverDivider posted:

The hounds are mostly poo poo characters but Mauvier has cool lines and they’re extremely fun to fight so that makes them good

I thought it deflated them by having them be the bosses of eight chapters in a row. By the third time Griss was Warp Ragnaroking into me I was just like “Yeah yeah I get it”.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Honestly, there are five dragon characters in this game and only two of them ever transform. Alear at least has the excuse that her dragonstone was destroyed, but I don't know what Veyle's and Zephia's excuses are.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Corrin was the last time we got a Manakete unit even counting npcs. And it was almost as unused gameplay wise as it was story wise, and that’s before reclassing. Echoes, Houses, and Engage have all gone without them entirely.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well they’re gonna be back for the DLC at least.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, there are five dragon characters in this game and only two of them ever transform. Alear at least has the excuse that her dragonstone was destroyed, but I don't know what Veyle's and Zephia's excuses are.

Veyle mentions in her final support with Corrin that she hated her dragon powers and buried her dragonstone in a place where she'd never be able to find it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Honestly if we’re including secondary antagonists then Narcian is a lot stupider, all the man had to do was finish the job like he was supposed to instead of just peacing out a half dozen times because ????

Also hosed up implying Zephia should bone her son

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
well it is fire emblem.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I have found new found love for Seadall as the best Soren Emblem drain tank since he's the only Qi Adept with an actual speed stat. I mean, it took a reclass into Sage with Reflect exp farming and 3 spirit dusts but he can at least double wyvern knights unlike Framme or Pandero as martial masters. Looking back on it it probably would have been better to stack speedtaker on Anna or Pandero to ensure doubles instead of wasting so much on my dancer.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I was under the impression that there was zero genetic mix up there and that their whole little "family" was just a bunch of misfits that banded together. Zephia was the "Mother" because she was in charge but it's not like she actually raised him as a kid or anything as far as I understand. She's not even really an adoptive mother, the lot of them were all just desperate to have a family that cared about them. Or just beat the poo poo out of them, but Griss was just kind of crazy like that

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 28, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cleared chapter 14, are they seriously giving the rings back on a slow drip cause poop

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah it rules.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Cleared chapter 14, are they seriously giving the rings back on a slow drip cause poop

yup! That exact reaction is why I felt like Ch 10-11 flopped for me. It went from a fun chapter gimmick to Oh. not a chapter gimmick then. welp. Back to just 2/12 dudes having any of those interesting rings that shake up gameplay:sigh:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RevolverDivider posted:

Yeah it rules.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo its good that they didnt just pile on every ring straightforwardly for the whole game because itd completely break the games balance. the entire squad being loaded out being a late game thing is cool because it gets across just how powerful that is.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

yup! That exact reaction is why I felt like Ch 10-11 flopped for me. It went from a fun chapter gimmick to Oh. not a chapter gimmick then. welp. Back to just 2/12 dudes having any of those interesting rings that shake up gameplay:sigh:

Yeah I'm less interested in doing any sidequesty stuff until I get a full team back of emblems because it makes the game that much harder.

on a different note, I have no idea what's worth upgrading or not and what to engrave anything as. https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/10zqdxc/fire_emblem_engage_quick_guide_to_weapon_forging/

the engraving menu shows the "performance" tab which references "mt" but idk what the gently caress "mt" means. What's its physical attack, that's what I wanna know.

https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Might

ok, so it's its like, damage modifier or something, but nowhere in game does it tell you that

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Mt is literally just the weapon's attack value.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah the damage formula is literally just

Weapon Might+(Str or Mag)-(Def or Res)= end damage

for regular combat. A few skills and engage attacks change that but for about 90% of combat its that simple.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah I'm less interested in doing any sidequesty stuff until I get a full team back of emblems because it makes the game that much harder.

on a different note, I have no idea what's worth upgrading or not and what to engrave anything as. https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/10zqdxc/fire_emblem_engage_quick_guide_to_weapon_forging/

the engraving menu shows the "performance" tab which references "mt" but idk what the gently caress "mt" means. What's its physical attack, that's what I wanna know.

https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Might

ok, so it's its like, damage modifier or something, but nowhere in game does it tell you that
it tells you thats what might is if you highlight it in the menu

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

game being hard is part of why it’s good

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

it tells you thats what might is if you highlight it in the menu

I couldn't find a spot where it describes mt

Like I can get to the menu that you can use to select like defense and avoidance and rating and SP, but nothing there says Mt that you can view you can only see that it says Mt, not what Mt means

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah there are multiple very similar menus that don't share information, like there's some where you can flip between seeing a weapon's raw stats and its performance stats and other screens where you can't for no discernable reason.