Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Max is going to dominate this season even harder than he did the last one. I'm not happy about it, either, but that is what is going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Diet Crack posted:

lol if you think DTS didn't just bring in more moronic neckbeards.

I mean yes it brought in more neckbeards, but my co-workers text about DTS/F1 now, who are definitely not SA posters.

Bip Roberts posted:

What level fat is otmar? He definitely has usa grown moobs.

I mean he is mostly American.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

italian quid posted:

I'm pretty sure his stint as a driver is why he has such a chip on his shoulder over the whole thing.

I'm all for more teams on the grid, especially one that isn't just a B-team buying poo poo from a larger team which seems like it's a sizeable chunk of the grid at this point. But the approach was completely wrong on Andretti's part and he's going to get nowhere because of that.

It's extremely dumb but the teams (especially the factory/large ones) have a stranglehold over the direction of the sport and F1 is going to continue producing poo poo to mediocre seasons until that changes. The whole entry fee thing is just one of like a million broken things that don't get fixed because the teams have a say in the rules.

what all did he do?

i saw the headlines that he wanted to enter and then trying to buy a team but not much else

i don't really understand how or why you'd want to enter F1 after having learned nothing the first time around

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

toadee posted:

I started watching F1 rooting for Mika Hakkinen vs Schumacher, because my dad is a lifelong tifosi and having a friendly rivalry was fun. DTS seems fine to me, I don't get any elitism about new fans. They just want to see interesting people drive cars fast, and the show is that sort of "photoshopped reality" that does that for everything else we consume these days. Of course it doesn't get everything accurate, no "reality" tv does.

Like I said, DTS got me into the sport. And therein lies the problem, because when you watch the races and then watch DTS you start noticing how hosed the editing is.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

the milk machine posted:

i really hate all the "THEY'RE GLADIATORS, THEY"RE WARRIORS" bullshit in f1 and also other sports. no they're not. they drive a car or throw/catch a ball.

crofty sucks so much

Driving the cars now are safer than most road cars and people still loving go into hysterics if there is an accident (see this thread when mick absolutely 100% was "dead" last year because he hit a wall). It's just marketing bullshit

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
DTS should consist entirely of on-the-job GoPro footage taken by the machinists, janitors, caterers, and other blue-collar heroes who keep F1 running on all cylinders.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I started watching during the Prost and Lauda at Mclaren days but I still don't know poo poo about the sport. I don't even like cars. I just have a mild fascination for certain aspects of it which i can't even formulate

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

toadee posted:

They just want to see interesting people drive cars fast, and the show is that sort of "photoshopped reality" that does that for everything else we consume these days. Of course it doesn't get everything accurate, no "reality" tv does.

The thing most of the F1 idiots don't realize is that DTS isn't for us. It's a show made for the lowest common denominator to distill a boring sport into it's interesting components. We can put DTS on blast all we want for getting minute details wrong, but we're not the audience for it.

Rhopunzel posted:

i don't really understand how or why you'd want to enter F1 after having learned nothing the first time around
F1 reaches a much wider audience than any other motorsport and thus the marketing opportunities have much more impact. F1 also has a history of catering more towards the affluent audiences which is a space everyone wants to be in. We seeing more people wanting in now because the cost cap makes running an actual team at least somewhat viable.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Plus, more Americans is always a good thing. Especially Americans like Michael Andretti.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I got sucked into this dumbass sport by DTS so I will never let that grudge go

But I became an instant Scud bud the moment I saw the 2 most handsome drivers on the grid driving the sexiest car; it turns out it was a car so sexy hot it would regularly burst into flames.

This gives me hope that none of you are beyond redemption and the church of Scud will accept you all as its flock.

MustardFacial posted:

I started watching F1 right before the Vettelreich when everyone hated Ferrari and Schumacher for making the sport boring. If only we knew back then what we knew now.

tbh late 90s was the absolute poo poo - Schumacher vs Hakkinen was box office on free to air TV, we had it so good and didn't even know it.

italian quid posted:

Driving the cars now are safer than most road cars and people still loving go into hysterics if there is an accident (see this thread when mick absolutely 100% was "dead" last year because he hit a wall). It's just marketing bullshit

I'm now thinking of last year's thread and how much more entertaining it was than any season of DTS has been with the hand wringing over a TBI for everybody that got so much as a puncture. Like the """"gladiator""" poo poo is egregious but for gently caress's sake adopt the middle ground.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If McLaren brought back the West livery and employed Mika as some sort of leadership role they'd be winning championships again

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
They're too invested in a guy who unironically has some wine mom grade kitsch on his desk about being "the loving guy in charge of you loving fucks" which would've had you blackballed from any engineering-adjacent field under Big Ron's stewardship.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Live, Love, Laugh at ever being competitive again

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Sponsors are the family we choose for ourselves

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

marshalljim posted:

DTS should consist entirely of on-the-job GoPro footage taken by the machinists, janitors, caterers, and other blue-collar heroes who keep F1 running on all cylinders.

i think this would be really interesting to watch

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Charles Leclerc posted:

DTS fans are noticeably deficiente in the passione department, OP. They typically post moronic poo poo about how Lando Norris is "poggers" or how Zak Brown is "cool and good" instead of being a fat boomer edgelord.

They do not respect the institution of F1 which is, of course, Scuderia Ferrari.

This. I can only suspect that the Netflix corporation is racist against the Italian people.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

italian quid posted:

Make sure you don't suggest drivers actually drive in the wet as it's the same as wishing death on them apparently

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This. I can only suspect that the Netflix corporation is racist against the Italian people.

I think your suspicions are 💯% correct, OP.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Charles Leclerc posted:

They're too invested in a guy who unironically has some wine mom grade kitsch on his desk about being "the loving guy in charge of you loving fucks" which would've had you blackballed from any engineering-adjacent field under Big Ron's stewardship.

Ron Dennis, the man who loked at Eric Boullier and thought "Yes, I want this human shaped eclair to be our team principal"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The McLaren west livery was so good

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Skarsnik posted:

Make sure you don't suggest drivers actually drive in the wet as it's the same as wishing death on them apparently

They are just afraid to see a Stroll masterclass in the wet.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Still waiting for an apropos response from Williams as to why they're running this dogshit livery and not the Canon/Elf one.

We deserve answers for why we've slipped so far.

FakeBlood
Oct 23, 2008

Alive and kicking.
Better than the Rokit livery

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The Duracell airbox is hilarious and good, actually.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
used to lie on my bed, watching free-to-air F1 on a Sunday, flipping an Episode 1 darth maul lightsaber in my right hand from tip, to handle, to tip, to handle, to tip.

big old crt tv, wood veneer, no remote. tail end of murray walker's stint on ITV.

distant sound of a lawnmower through the open window. faint smell of cut grass. jumpers for goalposts. what's that mum? tuna sandwiches?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Only 6 more days until the race! 4 more days until FP1! Hyype!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

ArmZ posted:

i forgot how promising bahrain was last year

yeah, we all thought leclerc was going to just troll max all season on track while clinching the wdc :negative:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
My brothers in Passione, I have returned to this dumb thread after a refreshing break. Is there any fantasy team league for goons this year?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

GramCracker posted:

yeah, we all thought leclerc was going to just troll max all season on track while clinching the wdc :negative:

I think the season would have been a lot closer had it not been for :ferrari: racing strategy

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cimber posted:

I think the season would have been a lot closer had it not been for :ferrari: racing strategy

or lack thereof

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So they are getting rid of the chicane at the end of the Barcelona track.

Too bad they are not dropping it entirely

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Made a fantasy league https://fantasy.formula1.com/en/leagues/join/C2LPQXCFV02 :shrug:

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Thanks, joined.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Deltasquid posted:

My brothers in Passione, I have returned to this dumb thread after a refreshing break. Is there any fantasy team league for goons this year?

As a fellow Passioneista may I recommend you Ducati Lenovo Team SpA in MotoGP and not the shameful vehicles and teams in formula "One"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

I personally love when they putter around behind the safety car for 5-10 laps then attempt a standing start, have a quarter of the field crash within the first lap, red flag it and dick around doing nothing on live TV for another hour before attempting to do it again in the exact same conditions. Its a great use of my time.

nerox
May 20, 2001

I joined this. I have never done F1 Fantasy, do you make a new team every week or are your first week selections who you have all season?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You put loads of thought into it and then forget about making changes every week so that the game is locked, and you then forget to make changes before the next race as well. The winner is someone who gave up posting before the summer break.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
How did I do in last year's fantasy. I completely forgot about it

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

ilmucche posted:

How did I do in last year's fantasy. I completely forgot about it

You came in 24th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Thanks Ants posted:

You put loads of thought into it and then forget about making changes every week so that the game is locked, and you then forget to make changes before the next race as well. The winner is someone who gave up posting before the summer break.

:hmmyes:

i think I only remembered to make changes about 3 times despite watching every race last season