Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've never minded going through old areas in a Metroidvania, enemies from areas older than the previous one or two tend to explode when you look at them funny, and unlike a turn-based JRPG there's no separate "battle screen" with its own intros and end screens to break up the flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The closest I can think of are the Souls style ones where everything stays dead until you hit a bonfire equivalent.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if you want to avoid having to oneshot tons of trash enemies as you backtrack back and forth, what you're really looking for is a fast-travel system

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Item Getter posted:

Do any games in this genre make enemies in previously visited areas eventually stop spawning? It kind of seems like a common issue with these games that you eventually get tired of fighting the same groups of enemies every time while backtracking looking for items and such. Or a passive ability to make weaker enemies stop appearing like some JRPGs with random encounters have. Late-game super powered abilities like Screw Attack that trivialize most enemies aren't exactly the same thing since they still require a minimal level of engagement.

Part of the idea of putting extensive backtracking in the game is to use going through old areas as a way to extend the amount of gameplay without having to make entirely new areas, so ideally it'd be fun to go through old areas after a while of being away. It does get particularly annoying towards the Castlevania end of things though, where they really like making transit through long hallways into a war of attrition, a marathon through a gauntlet.

I think there are some games where earlier areas get all the old enemies killed by story events leaving them spookily quiet, but I don't remember specifically which ones. Often it's the other way around where lategame enemies pop up in old areas to refresh things.

Sakurazuka posted:

The closest I can think of are the Souls style ones where everything stays dead until you hit a bonfire equivalent.

Technically in Dark Souls if you go far enough away from an area where you killed some enemies, they will respawn without you resting at a bonfire, but the fact that the game is hard and the world puts so many areas closer together with shortcuts makes it hard to notice.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

In Dark Souls II eventually enemies stop spawning if you kill them enough (like 10 - 15 times) and you have to use an item to bring them back at a bonfire which bumps them up to the next difficulty level. But that's more explicitly a "make it easier to ram your head into the boss" mechanic than anything.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Feldegast42 posted:

In Dark Souls II eventually enemies stop spawning if you kill them enough (like 10 - 15 times) and you have to use an item to bring them back at a bonfire which bumps them up to the next difficulty level. But that's more explicitly a "make it easier to ram your head into the boss" mechanic than anything.

It's also a "lol gently caress your farming" mechanic.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You can just turn on Covenant of Champions to fix that tho.

But admittedly I don't think anyone ever conclusively datamined to figure out if CoC fucks with drop rates the way it feels like it does...

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
In Alwa's Legacy, I accidentally killed the dad in the Sylvan Temple by drowning him. I feel bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that made me stop playing the game lol not even sure if there's a way to save him.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I believe there is, but if you accidentally kill him, you can get the necromancer to resurrect him.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I've been playing Psychonauts 2 (really stretching it to call it a Metroidvania, as revisiting levels with new abilities isn't required to progress.) But it made me remember why I loved the original and something that's lacking from most Metroidvanias, each level is so creative and different.

Forest, desert, swamp, sewer/ dungeon, volcano/ forge, icy tundra - sound familiar?

So many developers are hamstrung by the same biomes/ areas and it's sad to see. It's a videogame, it can be whatever you can think of.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I've been binging metroidvanias lately, mostly due to not having been able to upgrade my gpu for 9 years, so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Been playing Ato. It's a pretty decent little game with a focus on 1v1 sword duels. Compact map, fun upgrades, good waypointing. You can complete it in a couple of sittings. Very chill (except when it's not.)

I laughed when you finally get the sword that you've been building up to the entire game and it does absolutely nothing!

Better than a lot of the crap I've tried out lately.

Ghost Song. Janky controls, awful checkpointing, horrible combat. Shame because I really like shooty metroidvanias.

Dark Light - this just didn't vibe with me at all. Felt like I was playing a poo poo, 2D diablo 2 type game.

Elderand. boring and you can't stagger enemies at all.

Phoenotopia. Anime verbal diarrhea. Gave up before I got to the main part of the game.

Super Gear Quest: not my thing at all. Didn't find it funny or endearing

Outbuddies DX - You expect a certain amount of ugly with these games but this was just too much.

Depths of Sanity - jesus, if you play all fps games with the walk button held down this is the metroidvania for you. Slow, ugly, simplistic map, agravating enemies and poo poo upgrades.

Metroidvanias's I've loved recently.

Islets - movement felt joyful and exploration was very satisfying.

Axiom Verge - just all round solid. the drone might be my favourite upgrade in any metroildvania.

Grime - feels like more like a 2D souls but it scratches that itch and the combat is very well implemented.

Sundered - I know many people were cool on this when it came out but the randomisation really doesn't matter and the core loop, once you get some upgrades is very fun. You don't need to be scared of the hordes for long and the combat is very satisfying.

Unsighted - this is just loving rad. Once you get the hang of the (essential) parry system the game just flies.

Steamworld Dig 2 - I loved this and didn't want to stop playing. But I had to. Because it's very short.

Haiku The Robot - Best in class map design, progression, secrets and world building. Loved it and wanted 2-3x more!

Edit: phew, that was a big edit!

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 27, 2023

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Beat steamworld Dig and steamworld Dig 2. Highly recommend.

I think HAAK is next

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

RC Cola posted:

Beat steamworld Dig and steamworld Dig 2. Highly recommend.

I think HAAK is next

I played/completed Steamworld Dig back in 2014 for 5.7 hours, and remember nothing of it other than it was 'meh' and I was really bored and desperate. Something about gemstones as you go down? Anyways, I assume the sequel is very different?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Serephina posted:

I played/completed Steamworld Dig back in 2014 for 5.7 hours, and remember nothing of it other than it was 'meh' and I was really bored and desperate. Something about gemstones as you go down? Anyways, I assume the sequel is very different?

Yeah its much better. 1 was ok. 2 was good and more of a metroidvania with sequence breaking and plot

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Steamworld dig 2 was really good and I wish there was more of it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

steamworld dig 2 was great. i wish the ending wasn't such a downer though :smith:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

steamworld dig 2 was great. i wish the ending wasn't such a downer though :smith:

It does lead directly into steamworld heist which is also good!

Also HAAK is good so far. Any tips and tricks? Trying to play without a guide and have fun.
Is it easy to 100% or not worth it?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
HAAK gives you tools to 100% -- completion percentages, stuff marked on map (I think that requires upgrades? It's been a bit) -- but there is a lot of hidden stuff. I did 100% it, but what I did, and suggest you do, is get as close as you can and then consult a guide for the last little bits.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I found SteamWorld Dig 1 pretty fun, but of course it's not a full-on exploration game. You just go down further and further hunting for more resources. There are a couple of plot points that you might like before jumping into Steamworld Dig 2:

TWIST: Actually 2 games came before Steamworld Dig 2, and the series originated as DS game with SteamWorld Tower Defense that I don't think you can even play anymore. That details the story of the development of Steambots that were originally built by humans to mine and protect their gold, but at some point that went awry because they wouldn't let humans who had grown lazy and indolent access any of the gold that they had been entrusted with. SteamWorld Tower Defense depicts their war against the humans as they try to attack the Steambots to get the gold.

By the time of SteamWorld Dig, all humans had gone underground and lived as mutated "shiners". SteamWorld Dig is about Rusty inheriting his uncle's mine and digging and finding some strange technology to upgrade himself, and when he dug down far enough, he found Vectron, an abandoned world of devices powered by a mysterious force of "electricity", and an ancient supercomputer at the center of it all that had absorbed Rusty's uncle and lured Rusty there because it needed a steambot with a "powerful heart" to takeover and usher in a new age. Rusty killed Voltbot, but the final scene implies maybe he was tainted by Vectron technology? It's ambiguous.

The game series has weird goal of being a new different genre for each game, and the one they're doing next is a game about managing a mine and workers.

Ciaphas posted:

Not as down as you'd think. Not like Steambots need air to breathe.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm replaying Super Metroid and I've concluded that the best part of this game is the platforming/physics/kaizo mario aspect of it. The movement upgrades unlock new areas but most can be substituted with nightmare level walljumping. Are there any games that come close to replicating that? I haven't played that many indie metroidvanias, my sense is they mostly are of the igavania lineage and/or go for metroid tone and vibes rather than the physics per se like axiom verge

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 28, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think most titles since have been a bit more careful about sequence breaking, with very locked down movement patterns and any 'breaks' being very intentional. I can't think of any breaks off of the top of my head that aren't either condoned, or involve some very buggy behavior.

For a similar-yet-different idea, where the sequence breaking comes from hindsight and/or acquired player skills, there's TUNIC which hides cleverly evil shortcuts in plain sight. But that's not a 'vania.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

"Sequence breaking through player skill" is a good way of putting it, yes. That's almost more like a straight up platformer than anything else, hence kaizo mario

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

I'm replaying Super Metroid and I've concluded that the best part of this game is the platforming/physics/kaizo mario aspect of it. The movement upgrades unlock new areas but most can be substituted with nightmare level walljumping. Are there any games that come close to replicating that? I haven't played that many indie metroidvanias, my sense is they mostly are of the igavania lineage and/or go for metroid tone and vibes rather than the physics per se like axiom verge

Unsighted gets this, the entire game is designed to be sequence broken using advanced movement tech and alternate uses of equipment

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

icantfindaname posted:

Metroid Dread, fittingly enough.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I have mixed feelings about Dread. Well, both of the Mercury Steam titles really.

One thing I really appreciate about it though is that there's a sequence break that doesn't require any particular skill, but rather careful tracking of the map and your abilities and backtracking to earlier areas as soon as possible. If you do, you'll stumble across the orange teleporter which leads you to an item (pulse radar) you're intended to find later. The purpose of that item though is to facilitate searching for additional hidden items/paths. So the game explicitly rewards you for playing it breadth-first search. I thought it was really clever.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Trip report. HAAK is one of the best games I've ever played

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The EMMIs really kill any desire to replay Dread for me. Their whole design just kind of sucks all the momentum out of the game for me.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RC Cola posted:

I got a few hours into it, but the whole "this game is hard, git gud!" vibe the game was throwing out there really put me off.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah the EMMIs wore out their welcome towards the end but they were pretty cool the first few times. My main issue with Dread was more that it lacked the shear atmosphere of Super or Prime, although mechanically the series has never been better.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dread had too many interchangable zones without a strong personality and the EMMI encounters got the danger/consequence ratio the wrong way around (they should have been less bullshit to deal with but given you a normal death and reset to checkpoint if they did kill you) but overall it was still a pretty good time, at least as good as Fusion if not as perfectly formed as Super/Zero Mission

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah the big problem I had in Dread was the world never quite cohered together like I like Metroidvanias to do.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's not strictly a metroidvania because nothing's locked behind upgrades, but Kandria is a very good open world 2D platformer that some people here will definitely go for.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

The EMMIs really kill any desire to replay Dread for me. Their whole design just kind of sucks all the momentum out of the game for me.
The EMMIs are, fine, I guess. But the thing is that Dread would've been just as good if not better if you just straight up removed them, which given that they are a significant part of the game's design, story, marketing, and namesake, that's not a good outcome.

Conversely if you removed the SA-X from Fusion it would've changed the game's atmosphere tremendously.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If you watch a Speedrun of Dread and see how they handle the EMMIs you will change your tune. You just gotta get good.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah by the time I was halfway through the game I was just straight up ignoring EMMIs - the sections they are in are devoid of anything necessary to collect while they're alive, so it's just beelining to a nearby door, stealth be damned.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

RC Cola posted:

What did you like about it? I played up to the first hub and it seemed good but not great. What changes?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Other than this thread, how do you folks keep up with metroidvania releases and news? I popped my head in here because it's one of my favorite genres and I'm seeing a bunch of stuff I haven't even heard of. I want to be aware of and have a big important opinion about every game in this genre past and future

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I only started reading this thread recently, but it's probably a pretty good one-stop shop for keeping up with releases. There's a Metroidvania subreddit, but nobody agrees on how broad or narrow the genre definition should be, and reddit being reddit, it winds up being a mess, although I have found some gems in there. There are also various YouTube channels that specialize in the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Manager Hoyden posted:

Other than this thread, how do you folks keep up with metroidvania releases and news? I popped my head in here because it's one of my favorite genres and I'm seeing a bunch of stuff I haven't even heard of. I want to be aware of and have a big important opinion about every game in this genre past and future
Most of my Gaming News™ comes from either this forum or Siliconera these days.