Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Senor Tron posted:

There's definitely flags to look at when someone is criticised for not protesting "properly" but yeah it probably is fair to criticise when the person involved is a straight politician currently trying to carve out her own independent political identity.

i get this and i have to admit i have the same thoughts but purely on face value its an act of solidarity which is something i think deserves somewhat more respect than it is getting from some people itt and i dont think its reasonable to expect allyship to be possible without such acts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Lidia is just the no vote joker she can stop a float if she likes

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Stop the floats

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I would post and bold the particularly poo poo bits, but when it comes to robodebt, that's everything.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/feb/27/alan-tudges-senior-staff-failed-to-ask-about-robodebt-schemes-legality-inquiry-hears

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

its only contentious among the wealthy board of directors because it impacts event sponsors and even there its a hotly debated topic. I dont appreciate you erasing the very real community opinions that call for it every year and are shot down

No, it's contentious at the 500+ member AGM, where it's been put to a vote three times and has been voted down all three times

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/dec/05/sydney-mardi-gras-members-vote-against-banning-police-from-2021-parade

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
every year it comes up as a topic of discussion and every year it gets shot down because sponsors threaten to pull funding and you think this is sign of some kind of community support for police in pride?

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 27, 2023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

I’m positive there’s probably a government minister who’s interested in an 80 slide PowerPoint deck!!!’

Alright well can you sort out Sydney's cycle network then please, it's getting ridiculous, the plans there ready to go and everything

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Water storage dams, hydro dams, and flood control dams, all have very different use profiles.

Water storage: retain water for as long as possible, release only as water is used. Draw water from the depth of the dam that has the best quality (varies).
Hydro: release water as electricity is required, often significant amounts. You also want a significant “head”, or difference between top and bottom, to maximise potential energy of the stored water.
Flood control: keep the dam as empty as possible so it can hold water during a flood.

So for water storage you can put mini hydro generators on to generate as water is released for use, but you don’t get much power and the cost/maintenance may outweigh the benefit.

Cool thanks. I guess this is more a question for the energy generation megathread, but I would have thought if we’ve got water running through these pipes to and from Prospect we could stick a few turbines in there.

Sydney is surrounded by the Wonora, Cataract, Cordeaux, Avon, and Nepean dams in the south, Warragamba in the west, and even Mangrove Creek in the north. Surely technology and the energy market have evolved over the last 20 years to the point where it might be more worth it. Like if we start with however many MW we can get from that, and work out what we need to build on top. Especially if we need it more to top-up on cloudy days than as an always on kind of deal.

Side note, Sydney's drainage is really counter intuitive. It's like the harbour / Parramatta River are just a little thumb print on the bank of the mighty Hawkesbury Nepean:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Just announced, from 2025 there will be a 30% tax rate on earnings in super accounts with a balance over 3 million dollars.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Just announced, from 2025 there will be a 30% tax rate on earnings in super accounts with a balance over 3 million dollars.

Labah Future Tax on hard working Aussie Battlers

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
they keep not-namedropping someone with 400 million, i feel like surely it's gotta be gina, but then again maybe they wouldn't spite their donors like that and it's the bitbucket guy?

edit AGAIN: donation disclosures are boring AF but both of the above gave money to lnp for sure but not so sure about alp so they seem like solid choices

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 28, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

G-Spot Run posted:

they keep not-namedropping someone with 400 million, i feel like surely it's gotta be gina, but then again maybe they wouldn't spite their donors like that and it's the bitbucket guy?

edit: mike probably donates money to politics too, who fucken knows

Gina doesn't donate anything to the ALP.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
i could have sworn all the fossil fuels played both sides but it seems you are right about gina specifically

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

https://transparency.aec.gov.au/

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
i'd rather chew glass, let a journalist do it for you

https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/02/01/political-donations-aec-labor-coalition-uap/

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Senor Tron posted:

Good. It’s 11001 people who can pay the tax. It will be…illuminating who complains about it.

Well apart from the media and the LNP.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Pocock has been sidelined for three sessions because he got Dutton in an armbar

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Breakfast Burrito fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 1, 2023

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Cool thanks. I guess this is more a question for the energy generation megathread, but I would have thought if we’ve got water running through these pipes to and from Prospect we could stick a few turbines in there.

Sydney is surrounded by the Wonora, Cataract, Cordeaux, Avon, and Nepean dams in the south, Warragamba in the west, and even Mangrove Creek in the north. Surely technology and the energy market have evolved over the last 20 years to the point where it might be more worth it. Like if we start with however many MW we can get from that, and work out what we need to build on top. Especially if we need it more to top-up on cloudy days than as an always on kind of deal.

Side note, Sydney's drainage is really counter intuitive. It's like the harbour / Parramatta River are just a little thumb print on the bank of the mighty Hawkesbury Nepean:

Yeah it just comes down to the hydraulics of those pipes. If they are not flowing with significant pressure - and they are long pipelines with not a lot of difference in altitude - then the cost of installing and running the turbines may not be recouped from the electricity generated. You may actually be better off directing that money somewhere else. How about covering the water supply open canals with solar panels? Reduce evaporation and generate electricity.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Capt.Whorebags posted:

How about covering the water supply open canals with solar panels? Reduce evaporation and generate electricity.

I chortled.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Breakfast Burrito posted:

thanks for posting this, a good reminder to myself that when thinking "what does the lgbtqia community at large think" to check in with the American Express Mardi Gras. Gotta make sure I don't forget to road test my views on queer liberation with Deloitte!

The AGM is open to members, anyone can become a member, and 78ers get free life membership. Feel free to cite any polling in the broader queer community, as far as I can see none has been done.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Recoome posted:

It’s good to actually see some focus brought on the struggle of non-white queer/trans activists who have fought for LGBTQIA+ rights.

Do you believe Thorpe has brought focus onto anything other than "Lidia Thorpe just seems like an arsehole" with this

Because if you believe No Cops at Pride is a a legitimate debate to have (it obviously is) she sure hasn't facilitated it or furthered it's cause.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Do we know how sober Lidia was?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Seemlar posted:

Do you believe Thorpe has brought focus onto anything other than "Lidia Thorpe just seems like an arsehole" with this

Because if you believe No Cops at Pride is a a legitimate debate to have (it obviously is) she sure hasn't facilitated it or furthered it's cause.

I would argue that is less Thorpe's fault for her (arguably) ill thought out protest, and more on the media coverage of it.

Coz all the coverage has been "Lidia Thorpe has disrupted Mardi Gras!" and painting her as a crazy woman disrupting what should be a happy queer celebration for her own selfish reasons. And if they mention why she protested at all, (no cops at pride), then it is very quietly and buried beneath the "nutbar politician attacked queer event" narrative.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Seemlar posted:

i think she has furthered it (there's more active discussion as a result for sure) and i am thankful for that, but it certainly wasn't as effective as it could have been etc.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Senor Tron posted:

Did they bother future proofing that cap? Or is it just a hard cap, lazy government sort of deal?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hell make it 50% for anyone over 5mil. No one needs that much money.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

Coz all the coverage has been "Lidia Thorpe has disrupted Mardi Gras!" and painting her as a crazy woman disrupting what should be a happy queer celebration for her own selfish reasons. And if they mention why she protested at all, (no cops at pride), then it is very quietly and buried beneath the "nutbar politician attacked queer event" narrative.

This was always going to be the case, and hopefully is something Senator Thorpe considers before undertaking action.

Is it shithouse reporting? Sure. Will Thorpe’s presence further an agenda or just draw more backlash? Almost certainly the latter. I’m sure as hell not going to tell her what to do though.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Laserface posted:

clearly laserface doesn't own a seadoo

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hambeet posted:

clearly laserface doesn't own a seadoo

My 72yr old dad does (he's had the same one for over 20 years because he refuses to sell anything)

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Breakfast Burrito fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 1, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Laserface posted:

I do, i could do with not having to work for a few years

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

freebooter posted:

The AGM is open to members, anyone can become a member, and 78ers get free life membership. Feel free to cite any polling in the broader queer community, as far as I can see none has been done.

If NSW Pol want to be big allies they can open up the old cases for queer deaths that were deemed suicides, but they can’t even do that.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

this an extremely funny way to gauge what the australian queer community's views on the police might be

freebooter posted:

Feel free to cite any polling in the broader queer community

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/i-feel-unsafe-most-lgbtiq-victorians-dont-trust-police-new-report-finds/y9vo0p70m

I mean this is from Victoria and more about queer perceptions on police but this is literally in the top Google hits.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

yes that's the bit of your post that is funny

"without any polling who's to say whether queer people and cops get along"

I mean these boards with corporate sponsorships want cops at pride, and 56% member body which costs $50 to join and is for Sydney voted for cops at pride, so really how do we know the queers don’t like cops????

It’s a big fuckin’ mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Maybe the cops have changed