Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what stat would be its raw damage except might anyway tho

like its not hit, its not crit, its not dodge, its not avoid, and its not weight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

what stat would be its raw damage except might anyway tho

like its not hit, its not crit, its not dodge, its not avoid, and its not weight

Knowledge through inference is poor UI design

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean there's space to spell out 'might' so sure they probably should have done that but when a number goes up by 1 and the game goes 'you deal 1 more damage' im capable of sussing it out

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

one of Fire Emblem's best strengths is how simple and easily understandable at a glance all its stats and math poo poo is.

unless it's Conquest which lol.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Easy engrave rules: give killer weapons + crit like Corrin. Give smash weapons +Mt or hit. Give your dodge tank avoid.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Easy engrave rules: give killer weapons + crit like Corrin. Give smash weapons +Mt or hit. Give your dodge tank avoid.

I'll have to do more of the main quest, 40 hours in and cleared 14 and theres what 26? sounds like another 10-20 hours unless I just beeline the msq.

No idea what to change Alear's class into after Divine Dragon...do I just...second seal her back to lvl1? She's 19.5 so it's coming up soon.

I wanna make jean into a mage knight, he's a decently good mage but everyone needs way more mobility, so the horsemen or air units seem like a good buy. I just gotta figure out how to get him to have sword prof, not quite sure how to do that, do I just equip an emblem with that skill before going into change class?

edit: I'm also a bit miffed that they revert to their base class armor during cutscenes like, come on man.

They should also wear their outfits during support scenes if they're in the Somniel while the scene is going on

edit2: I made anna a Griffin Knight Axe/Stave and she is easily the top dps on the team. Gave her all the spicy axe drops like tomahawk and she basically solos a bunch of enemies on her own and because her luck is high she gets 500g maybe like, 40% of the time she gets a kill, and she crits often

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 28, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Using second seals to reset your levels is a perfectly viable strategy. You even get to keep the class skill, which you would lose if you were to swap to another class.

Weapon proficiency is unlocked the same way as the other bond skills, by raising your bond level with a given emblem. For swords, you can unlock them at Lucina level 6 or Lyn level 8, per exemple. The easiest way to do this is to just go to the arena and buy the levels with bond fragments.

Unlike the other skills there are no additional steps; you don't need to buy or equip anything afterwards; as soon as you are at the appropriate level with any one of the sword emblems, that character will always meet the swords requirement for class changes.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'll have to do more of the main quest, 40 hours in and cleared 14 and theres what 26? sounds like another 10-20 hours unless I just beeline the msq.

No idea what to change Alear's class into after Divine Dragon...do I just...second seal her back to lvl1? She's 19.5 so it's coming up soon.

I wanna make jean into a mage knight, he's a decently good mage but everyone needs way more mobility, so the horsemen or air units seem like a good buy. I just gotta figure out how to get him to have sword prof, not quite sure how to do that, do I just equip an emblem with that skill before going into change class?

Yeah, if you don't have a plan for Alear, just second seal her back down to level 1 in Divine Dragon; she won't lose any stats, and she'll even keep her class skill that she learned at level 5.

To gain a weapon proficiency, you need to have the character reach a specific bond level with an Emblem who teaches that proficiency. For where you're at in the game Lyn teaches Sword at Bond level 8, Ike teaches it at Bond level 9, and Lucina teaches it at Bond level 6. Note that when a character learns a weapon proficiency, it's only for the purposes of changing jobs. You're still restricted in what weapons you can actually use based on what class you currently are.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Using second seals to reset your levels is a perfectly viable strategy. You even get to keep the class skill, which you would lose if you were to swap to another class.

On hard and below, everyone will second seal to reset their level like at least once, maybe twice.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm doing my first Maddening playthrough now and I wanted to use a lot of characters I didn't use in my first Hard playthrough, but man. They really did Alfred's crew dirty. I might try to use Alfred or Etie as a Halbardier, but there's so many characters I didn't use the first time around that it's hard to justify making them projects.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

FoolyCharged posted:

I was under the impression that there was zero genetic mix up there and that their whole little "family" was just a bunch of misfits that banded together. Zephia was the "Mother" because she was in charge but it's not like she actually raised him as a kid or anything as far as I understand. She's not even really an adoptive mother, the lot of them were all just desperate to have a family that cared about them. Or just beat the poo poo out of them, but Griss was just kind of crazy like that

It is definitely implied that she raised Griss personally, and Marni is of course still a kid that she just adopted recently. Mauvier is the odd one out.

More to the point, Griss rather explicitly says "you were a mother to me" so regardless of what she thought she was doing, he considered her a mother.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 28, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The drip feed return has its up and downsides.

The upside is that it makes it easier to parse and get to know your new emblems. Your options are limited so you're better able to focus on what those options actually do for you. Secondly I think it works well for the idea of you regaining ground and power.

The downsides are that you lose a lot of more interesting options for a long time and that you permanently lose inheritance and forging options if you didn't use them ahead of time which feels like a really annoying gotcha rather than fun gameplay/plot integration.

Also the length between the loss and return of certain emblems negatively impacts the plot and the perceived power of those emblems as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Khizan posted:

I'm doing my first Maddening playthrough now and I wanted to use a lot of characters I didn't use in my first Hard playthrough, but man. They really did Alfred's crew dirty. I might try to use Alfred or Etie as a Halbardier, but there's so many characters I didn't use the first time around that it's hard to justify making them projects.

Halberdier should work well for Etie at least. It's a good class for someone with a lot of Strength and not much Speed because it can guarantee doubles.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 28, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

The drip feed return has its up and downsides.

The upside is that it makes it easier to parse and get to know your new emblems. Your options are limited so you're better able to focus on what those options actually do for you. Secondly I think it works well for the idea of you regaining ground and power.

The downsides are that you lose a lot of more interesting options for a long time and that you permanently lose inheritance and forging options if you didn't use them ahead of time which feels like a really annoying gotcha rather than fun gameplay/plot integration.

Also the length between the loss and return of certain emblems negatively impacts the plot and the perceived power of those emblems as well.

How does it negatively impact the plot?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've started to see chapters 10 and 11 as sort of the end of a long tutorial. None of the chapters before 10 are all that long or complex, and you don't have access to many paralogues. It feels like you get a taste of later power, then lose it, and then the actual build-up of power and options begins in earnest.

It's not accidental that it's difficult to get enough SP to inherit many skills before chapter 10. They don't expect or want you to.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It doesn't seem to me that you're going to get much SP to begin with, some of these skills to inherit are like 8400sp which seems like...an excessive amount for just one skill

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
On maddening you're likely to end up with somewhere roughly between 3500 and 4500 SP total for an entire playthrough on a character who has an emblem ring glued to them forever, with bond ring characters getting half that. Lower difficulties can end up with more because SP gain is tied directly to XP gain.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 28, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It doesn't seem to me that you're going to get much SP to begin with, some of these skills to inherit are like 8400sp which seems like...an excessive amount for just one skill

Yeah, and there's basically no way a player would ever inherit those in a normal playthrough. I think they're there for people who want to have a postgame grind to do. Once you finish the story you can keep playing and doing tempest trials, relay trials, etc. to get more EXP, books that give bonus SP, and stat boosters. Turns out some people really love to have things like that to grind for.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Harrow posted:

I've started to see chapters 10 and 11 as sort of the end of a long tutorial. None of the chapters before 10 are all that long or complex, and you don't have access to many paralogues. It feels like you get a taste of later power, then lose it, and then the actual build-up of power and options begins in earnest.

It's not accidental that it's difficult to get enough SP to inherit many skills before chapter 10. They don't expect or want you to.

On top of this, the first six Emblems are a lot more basic than the rest of them. Micaiah can do lots of wacky staff stuff, sure, but Celica and Sigurd are mostly just “press button for an emergency reposition” and Marth, Leif, and Roy are mostly just “do more damage.” The later set of Emblems allow for much more advanced strategies and really ask you to think about the overall role of the unit using them.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Leif is a great defensive emblem, though. The kit is built around flipping into the "best" weapon, which is whatever gives WTA, and then taking 7 or 14 less damage.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Leif's still probably easily the worst of the base game emblems. Only certain classes can really take advantage of his kit he has a lot of meh skills besides Vantage and he has poo poo Engage weapons compared to almost everyone else. He's still got stuff to offer but outside of maybe Roy all the others have more to offer.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

berserker anna w/ leif is pretty great imo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'd say Roy offers more because being immortal for any combat at > 1 hp offers way more tanky than some damage reduction. Taking on a tough boss that could 1 round you? Better. Blocking stacked back up enemies when they start to overwhelm? Better at it. Letting a low level dude show up and contribute? Still better and Roy offers his level boost on engaging to further assist there. Dunno how your strength is compared to enemies on non maddening difficulties which might swing things.

That said, they're both kind of meh because most of the emblems encourage a very xcom approach of enemies can't attack you if they're dead.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Roy's value is in giving you a crapton of Str from his ring stats + Rise Above and also about 2-3 Spd depending on the unit, Hold Out is just the cherry on top. On cavalries he also grants +1 Mov while engaged. He's one of the best emblems to put on Wolf Knights.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Roy would be a lot of fun with Diamant if he didn't have such a low Dex cap that Sol is wildly unreliable. Being able to avoid death as long as you have 2 or more HP at the start of a combat, then heal it back with Sol, would be really rad.

I'm still gonna try it anyway on this Maddening run, but with Vantage+ and Wrath inherited to help him kill things.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Its less than a thousand BP for 7 less damage a hit and he has Vantage.

But toss that aside, and the engage attack still deletes almost anything that isn't a boss, if your unit has any strength. It's a very generic attack, and probably a bit worse on average than Houses Unite, but it removes a target without any fuss.

Leif is a boring emblem. But he is by no means the worst one.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I had Goldmary equipped with Leif and the AI managed to get around adaptable by attacking with a tomahawk, causing her to swap to the master lance and get broken, allowing another enemy to follow up for free. I swore off of Leif after that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah my honest take is that Adaptable is a trap specifically because Leif's engage weapons are so awful.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Scrap Dragon posted:

I had Goldmary equipped with Leif and the AI managed to get around adaptable by attacking with a tomahawk, causing her to swap to the master lance and get broken, allowing another enemy to follow up for free. I swore off of Leif after that

O_o

That is an absolutely bizarre choice. Why would it justify the Lance there?

I guess if folks have horror stories of AI weirdness that might explain some of the hate, but I still chalk it up to him being much more bland than actually bad. Leif is extremely good, and I cannot be talked out of this.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

O_o

That is an absolutely bizarre choice. Why would it justify the Lance there?

I guess if folks have horror stories of AI weirdness that might explain some of the hate, but I still chalk it up to him being much more bland than actually bad. Leif is extremely good, and I cannot be talked out of this.

It prioritizes ability to counter attack over weapon triangle, so if your only ranged weapon is the Master Lance, you can be broken by an axe.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

WrightOfWay posted:

It prioritizes ability to counter attack over weapon triangle, so if your only ranged weapon is the Master Lance, you can be broken by an axe.

Hah. I can't believe that made it by playtesting. That's almost literally the opposite of what it's supposed to do.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I just don’t see what Leif offers compared to any of the others.

Marth gives insane damage, Celica hard carries early on and has fantastic utility, Sigurd is top 3 in the game, Roy as explained above yeah is better as he has some real solid specific case uses, Lyn is a monster on player phase and snowballs units out of control plus has Astra Storm to delete staff users safely from a distance, Eirika has fantastic combat like Marth, Ike makes a unit instantly into a top notch frontline, Micaiah’s utility is nuts and almost unmatched except by Byleth and Corrin, and Byleth and Corrin are also top 3.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
The Binding Blade is also the best Engage weapon except maybe Mulagir, and by quite a lot. (The +5 Speed is amazing but being unable to switch off the bow again until you take another turn makes it a very double-edged sword.) The stats are good, including a reasonable Weight, it has +5 to both Defense and Resistance, and it's a 1-2 strength weapon in a category with no natural 1-2 physical option. On someone with reasonable STR/RES growths getting an effective +7 to both defenses when Engaging is drat big, and the ring comes with Hold Out+++. The +STR helps with typical sword user problems, the +HP and +Res are great for running Resolve sets with the Binding Blade to make a fairly durable offensive frontliner into a wall (hi Kagetsu), and while the Engage attack is specialized, being able to set a big wedge of enemy-slowing fire always has its uses and furthers the ring's strong off-tank role.

Roy is absolutely a top six (non-DLC) Emblem at the very least. I'd put Lyn, Byleth, Micaiah and Corrin above it, but no one else. You do need the Bond cap raised to get its real power, but once it can hit level 15 it's incredibly powerful.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Edelgard is a crazy emblem, people downplayed her hard. Being able to failnaught and house unite twice per engage is absurd and you get roy tier power boost at base.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
People were making GBS threads on Edelgard? What? Hating on Leif, for all that I disagree with, I can at least see, but hating on Edelgard is nuts. Fallen Star by itself is kind of crazy, and that doesn't get into extra turn nonsense or being able to sometimes just no-sell a ranged attack (without engaging!), or the (frankly quite a bit larger than it looks) XP Bonus, which I assume is only an enormous positive on people that aren't trying to level everyone evenly.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

edelguard and tiki have some dope skills i grabbed immediately, like legacy and starsphere which I immediately grabbed and latched onto anna and jean

some of the later skills are absurd too, like tiki has Lifesphere++

edit: byleth has a 1.2x xp boost for people near him, I wonder if it stacks

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 28, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

How does it negatively impact the plot?

Specifically the long term development and relationship with the lost emblems. Them going evil doesn't really achieve anything to develop anyone and you kinda just get them back and nobody really reacts.

In particular with Marth being so important, I think him being lost for such a long time does a lot to undercut the development of anything between him and Alear.

Broadly I accept that "I want more out of the Emblems" is just a reviled opinion here, but I do and I think that the lack of development around them hurts the plot for me.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Unfortunately I don’t see how Adaptable can be good outside of having some kind of crazy FFXII-style Gambit system

I’ll still use Leif because I like the character and the pauldrons

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man Ivy is such a beast. I was wondering why everyone using her on maddening runs. Fliers are always strong but drat at the time you get her she is really strong with just a couple of levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Adaptable is cool on paper but even if it was a sync skill and not an engage skill it still wouldn't be overpowered (it wouldn't even be as good/reliable as the Armor bonus that makes you immune to break to begin with because you'd have to be able to use all three triangle weapon types to be truly immune to break via Adaptable and no class can do that). But the fact that it's an engage skill and Leif's engage weapons are garbage makes Leif the only Emblem in the game--to my knowledge at least--where Engage mode has a potential drawback.

Like they didn't even do that with Camilla, who lets you fly while engaged but specifically does not give you the flier weakness to bows/wind magic in the process.

Tae posted:

Edelgard is a crazy emblem, people downplayed her hard. Being able to failnaught and house unite twice per engage is absurd and you get roy tier power boost at base.

And this is before we start talking about Aymr