Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Lord_Magmar posted:

Specifically, they used Sephirot's ability to grow huge to beef themselves up to large lad sizes.

Wait, where is this stated? It's amazing but I don't remember it at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

SirSamVimes posted:

Gap closing mid-knockback is one of the coolest feelings in the game.

Oneiros posted:

i like watching the boss spin in a circle

across time and space, warriors stay winning

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dareon posted:

When I was playing Age of Wushu, the goon clan had a couple hard rules:
A) Don't gently caress with the group Tai Chi practice that gives everyone XP bonuses.
B) If you do gently caress with it, use a non-clan alt.
Your statement reminded me of that.

C) Dismount anyone who scares NPCs while riding a ***se through town.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Everyone loves hanging around the center for any big attack for some reason.

If there wasn't a standard place to hang around, people would be all over the place as some people decide to gather left, some gather centre and some don't gather at all. Then healers and people with raidwide mitigation abilities would hate you.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the one remainder of server culture this game has is the DC split between bone zone or no, and you're here telling me there could have been also a DC split between left or right side of that arena and they didn't tune it with enough damage for people to bother?

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde

Chunni and The 'Bo, Amateur Detectives: On the Case!

This week's story: "The mystery of someone else's name on the placard of that one housing plot I bid on" or, "The 'Bo delivers a beatdown!"

An aside, getting that multi-million gil deposit back from a failed housing bid softens the disappointment a good deal. Fingers crossed for next time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

Gap closing mid-knockback is one of the coolest feelings in the game.

It is. Same with non-targeted movement abilities like En Avant and Elusive Jump, if you happen to be aimed correctly.

Worth noting that knock back attacks have varying magnitudes, and some push you away faster than others. Like Sophia's map tilts are technically slow KB, while Alte Roit's Clamp launches you at what is essentially escape velocity. Time you gap closers accordingly!

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I loved using my gap closer on Quetzalcoatl and skipping that whole attack.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

If you really want to flex, play BRD and use Repelling Shot to survive a knockback.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Gap closing to cancel knockback is a pretty useful skill to have during P1S as a tank because of how often the knockback buster shows up.

If you're really good with timing and the lag is friendly it's even possible to time your gapcloser to queue up and go off in Orbonne Monastery during the final boss's knockback->maze mechanic to skip the entire mechanic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Maybe he's using gear... Zeno... gears...

very late reply but this is a cute easter egg because xenogears was originally a pitch for ff7. some people probably already know that but i always thought it was interesting trivia. imagine the worldline where that actually happened lol

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Maybe we would have gotten a full disc 2 :argh:

But then we wouldn't have had the Chair of Exposition reference in Hi-Fi Rush, so who can say whether it's good or bad.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Are there folks playing in NA outside of Excalibur? Got the MMO itch recently and bought the game, but it looks like Excalibur is congested and that can last for ... :iiam:? Otherwise figure I'll buy a server transfer down the line if I stick with the game, but would be nice if there were other options.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There are a bunch of us all over Primal, but I don't think there's any sort of organized goon presence on the other servers. Doesn't matter too much. You can join groups cross realm (and even cross datacenter) and the discord is there to organize stuff. No FC chat or anything though.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I got in with a server transfer later but if you're keen to be with goons immediately just wait until night time. Although, the new world bonus is REALLY nice

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Excalibur is currently 24/7 locked for new characters until some future patch. Time of day doesn't matter. Not sure if transfers get around that.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Oof, that's rough, I just assumed my impatience was the problem

In that case pick a new world - I got all jobs up to 60 by carefully swapping around doing just the base game MSQ. Total overkill if you just want to see the story of course, and it was my second time, but it's so nice to have a leg up for levelling those extra jobs. My road to 80 xp buff never went away from my new char on Materia so you can benefit from it even if you don't do weird MSQ job hopping

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
After doing some PvP grinding, I've realized why the Clockwork Castletown is the best CC map:

Every other CC map is an Overwatch map. Clockwork Castletown is a TF2 map.

I can't elaborate on this, but I also feel like I don't need to.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Av text post combo

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I can't elaborate on this, but I also feel like I don't need to.
huh, I thought I had sigs turned off...

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

G-Spot Run posted:

Oof, that's rough, I just assumed my impatience was the problem

There's two things that can prevent the creation of characters:
- The current number of players. If it's just that, you can usually wait until late night/early morning to make a character.
- The status of the world here: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/worldstatus/. If it is Standard or Preferred, you can make a character if the check above lets you in. If the world is set to Congested, you can't until that goes away.
This status is manually set by the devs and generally only changes together with game updates.

6.35 should drop this month, so that's the earliest the server could lose its congested status. If it doesn't happen then, it probably won't happen before 6.4 (mid May?)

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Semi-related question: I saw that making a character on a new world to LVL 30 gets you 1 mil gold and 2 weeks account time (only once per account), so I did this on the Oceania server (being that I live here).

Can I do anything with this Gil or is it stuck on this DC unless I decide to move my main over too (while it's still free)? Biggest issue seems to be low player pop = long queues compared to JP so not sure if I want to pull the trigger.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

PancakeTransmission posted:

Semi-related question: I saw that making a character on a new world to LVL 30 gets you 1 mil gold and 2 weeks account time (only once per account), so I did this on the Oceania server (being that I live here).

Can I do anything with this Gil or is it stuck on this DC unless I decide to move my main over too (while it's still free)? Biggest issue seems to be low player pop = long queues compared to JP so not sure if I want to pull the trigger.

You can hop between data centres now by right-clicking your character at the selection screen. If you had a friend to middle-man you could get that mil onto your main if you so desired.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

that's restricted to data centers within a region, so someone on oceania with its one data center would not be able to make use of this feature

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
oh fun, my launcher has disappeared my login buttons. it's even persisted through a reinstall somehow

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Does it happen if you use the custom launcher?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

oh fun, my launcher has disappeared my login buttons. it's even persisted through a reinstall somehow

This happened a few days ago too.

There was a regional outage with SE's hosting (or a route to it) and that's one of the symptoms when you're in the affected area.

Custom launchers will have the buttons because theirs are hard coded and not loaded on the fly, but probably fail to connect to the login servers.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
I have a problem.

Help me come to appreciate Moogles. Right now I just do not see the appeal of them. I have nothing but disdain for them. Every time I get Moogle Mog in Wondrous Tails, I let out a long sigh because although I know it’s the easiest one- me and my friend can nearly one-shot him if we crit- they’re so annoying to me. I’ve hated these things since I first saw them in Kingdom Hearts: Recoded.

I hate the sounds they make. I hate how they talk. It’s so weird.

My friend and his girlfriend think I’m being irrational. And everyone seems to think they’re so cute! (Except Estinien, I’ve been told.) Even Ysayle comes to love them, and I just can’t right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have you unlocked the Moogle tribal quests in HW yet?

If not, your hate has heights it has yet to ascend to.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Aphrodite posted:

Oh god. Yeah, I have, and I haven’t touched them, but most of my crafters are in that level range.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Despite the examples you've given, I think there are generally far more characters in XIV that have a veiled distaste for moogles, at best. And the same is certainly true for many players.

Particularly if they've sat through the tribequests, yes.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The forest moogles mean well even if they're useless little dipshits, so I can't bring myself to hate them. The sky moogles on the other hand I will mash into a fine puree and scatter into the fires of Sohm Al.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Vitamean posted:

Does it happen if you use the custom launcher?

I'm on PS5, so official kit all the way

Aphrodite posted:

This happened a few days ago too.

There was a regional outage with SE's hosting (or a route to it) and that's one of the symptoms when you're in the affected area.

Custom launchers will have the buttons because theirs are hard coded and not loaded on the fly, but probably fail to connect to the login servers.

oh interesting, weird that i can't find this info on their tech side but that's not surprising. all their advice i found was "clear your cache, reinstall, restart"

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
For the past year, my game (on pc, steam) will launch the first time to a black screen and only exit after a small amount of time has passed and only if I click on the black screen a few times. Launching the game again right after shows the SE logo just fine and I load in. And it's persisted across doing a full from scratch reinstall of the game (though I did backup and restore my settings via the launcher beforehand).

No idea what causes it, but I've resigned to just launching the game twice whenever I play, now.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Aphrodite posted:

Free kupo nuts!

Selane
May 19, 2006

barclayed posted:

I have a problem.

Help me come to appreciate Moogles. Right now I just do not see the appeal of them. I have nothing but disdain for them. Every time I get Moogle Mog in Wondrous Tails, I let out a long sigh because although I know it’s the easiest one- me and my friend can nearly one-shot him if we crit- they’re so annoying to me. I’ve hated these things since I first saw them in Kingdom Hearts: Recoded.

I hate the sounds they make. I hate how they talk. It’s so weird.

My friend and his girlfriend think I’m being irrational. And everyone seems to think they’re so cute! (Except Estinien, I’ve been told.) Even Ysayle comes to love them, and I just can’t right now.
I hate moogles too, or at least the moogles in this game. I rarely skip cutscenes, but I smash skip on anything involving moogles, I can't stand that sound effect they spam every three seconds. It just annoys the poo poo out of me for some reason.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Replace all moogles with loporitts

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

The forest moogles mean well even if they're useless little dipshits, so I can't bring myself to hate them. The sky moogles on the other hand I will mash into a fine puree and scatter into the fires of Sohm Al.

Sid's account spotted

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Moogles are riding on a lot of goodwill from previous Final Fantasy games. FFVI has Mog, who rocks, can dance, and can equip the charm that prevents encounters for cave-diving. And it more or less opens with a group of cave-dwelling moogles saving you from imperial troops, and you can strip their equipment on the way out to get some early weapons and armour. It will take a lot for me to hate moogles after that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Moogle's are little shits but at least they aren't the sylphs or the pixies (just the pixies, nu mou and amaro A+ good friends).