Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Chairman Capone posted:

On the latest episode of his podcast, Tim Heidecker mentioned that the producers of Rick and Morty emailed him (and presumably many other comedians) unsolicited asking him to audition to be the new voice of the characters. I think it’s pretty cool they’re feeling so desperate.

I mean.....what did you think they'd do, try to grow a voice actor in a loving lab? Yeah, they are going to feel people out to see if they are interested in the part. That's....that's what casting is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mulva posted:

I mean.....what did you think they'd do, try to grow a voice actor in a loving lab? Yeah, they are going to feel people out to see if they are interested in the part. That's....that's what casting is.

Isn't Capone's point more that there's a desperation to way that they're recasting, rather than that they're just recasting in and of itself?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Emailing actors directly is a weird move; casting almost always goes between casting directors and agents.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't know that I'm jazzed about a bunch of people being scared of losing their jobs because the absentee owner or whatever was a piece of poo poo. That's a lot of jobs.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

IRQ posted:

I don't know that I'm jazzed about a bunch of people being scared of losing their jobs because the absentee owner or whatever was a piece of poo poo. That's a lot of jobs.

Recent articles have stated that for the past several years Roiland's actual creative input has dwindled down to nothing and it was a pain just to get him to the studio to voice his characters. Him being cancelled is just going to be a question of finding someone who can do a passable job at doing his one or two voices and that's it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean Dan Harmon already does a pretty good Rick as it is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They’re talking about the voice not their personal life

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

AceOfFlames posted:

Recent articles have stated that for the past several years Roiland's actual creative input has dwindled down to nothing and it was a pain just to get him to the studio to voice his characters. Him being cancelled is just going to be a question of finding someone who can do a passable job at doing his one or two voices and that's it.

That's why I said absentee, it makes it even less related to those people. That other poster just seemed delighted that the people working on the show were in this situation.

I agree that it shouldn't be hard to recast, so I don't know why they'd be doing that in some abnormal way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I will also point out that this entire line of conversation is based on a comment from famed straight-man Tim Heidecker.

There are roughly 80 bazillion people that can do a Rick or Morty voice convincingly not to mention they have an in universe reason to make them sound HOWEVER THEY LIKE. I don't think there's any desperation.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
bring the burps back

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mulva posted:

grow a voice actor in a loving lab?

This is Mel Blanc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Heh, Adult Swim is rerunning the Tracy Morgan Squidbillies tonight. I'd like to think this was in direct response to some other racist cartoon(ist).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I am really enjoying Shrinking. What a delightful show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
so far in breaking bad the character i have felt the most pity for is Gale

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

so far in breaking bad the character i have felt the most pity for is Gale

He's a libertarian so he deserves it tho.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Read After Burning posted:

Outing my age/bad taste here, but Whitest Kids U Know is my all-time favorite. I should not have watched that show in middle/high school, but I'm glad I did!

The Abe Lincoln sketch remains the best sketch I've ever seen. RIP Trevor *pours a 40 out*

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Probably late to the game since it premieres next Monday, but S2 of Perry Mason is almost here! :toot:
I loved the first season, and knew there was going to be a season 2, yet this is the first time I saw anything about the release date.

I've been watching a lot of shows I missed out on during their initial runs. I liked The Knick for the most part, and the first season of True Detective was great, so I can see why it was getting so much hype back then. Season 2 was...certainly a season of an anthology show.

I stayed up late yesterday to finish that season, and boy did I feel like a dummy for doing that instead of going to sleep.
E: was there a thread for season 2? I kind of want to see if other goons' had similar disappointment.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 28, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sepinwall’s review said it was much improved which is sick. I’m looking forward to it!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DashKwiatkowski/status/1630278012758261761

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Ok but "do you think he saur-us" was actually funny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Weird, I don't remember that episode of Twin Peaks at all!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

swickles posted:

Ok but "do you think he saur-us" was actually funny.

It's from Jurassic Park!!!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I don't remember that! Also, this is still miles better than when people decide to do standup against your will, like when that one woman tried it in a movie theater.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

swickles posted:

I don't remember that! Also, this is still miles better than when people decide to do standup against your will, like when that one woman tried it in a movie theater.

I want that lady and that Christian group that did the sing-along(s) on the plane flights to fight each other.

To death.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

oh jay posted:

He's a libertarian so he deserves it tho.

That does make me feel a little better. It was more Walt abandoning a good lab partner to drag Jesse back into his poo poo gravity, but don't feel bad for Jesse either. Skylar and Walt Jr might be only ones who aren't complete monsters, at least not yet.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Khanstant posted:

That does make me feel a little better. It was more Walt abandoning a good lab partner to drag Jesse back into his poo poo gravity, but don't feel bad for Jesse either. Skylar and Walt Jr might be only ones who aren't complete monsters, at least not yet.

The only time I hated Skylar was at the very beginning, when she goes to Jesse's house to DEMAND that he stop selling Walt weed. :lmao: at marching onto someone else's property, then rushing away clutching your pregnant stomach all "STAY BACK!!!!", as if YOU'RE not the aggressor here? "Karen" behavior, truly.

But nah, all the Skylar hate was just "SHE'S NOT OKAY WITH HER HUSBAND LYING AND BEING SHADY, WHAT A BITCH!!!" I liked her a lot after S1!

The true worst non-violent character is Skylar's sister. :colbert:

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 28, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

swickles posted:

I can't wait for someone to adapt that into a horror movie from a random audience member's pov.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Skyler is a really good character because she is easy to hate on the surface but almost everything she does is justifiable and understandable, because her husband is a secret dirtbag drug lord.

Also Gale is more like idealized late 00's libertarian, where the general conception was that they were big on free weed and getting out of Iraq, rather than proto alt-right chuds who can't go within 5 miles of an elementary school. But then he is also making meth so

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Season 7+ Kevin from The Office has got to be one of the worst characters in the history of television. Disturbingly, unfunnily brainless.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The only time I hated Skylar was at the very beginning, when she goes to Jesse's house to DEMAND that he stop selling Walt weed. :lmao: at marching onto someone else's property, then rushing away clutching your pregnant stomach all "STAY BACK!!!!", as if YOU'RE not the aggressor here? "Karen" behavior, truly.

But nah, all the Skylar hate was just "SHE'S NOT OKAY WITH HER HUSBAND LYING AND BEING SHADY, WHAT A BITCH!!!" I liked her a lot after S1!

Lol yeah that was goofy but not monstrous like cruising AA meetings for customers or doing crazy murders

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Nah, Marie ruled, it just took a while to show. Her telling Walt to just kill himself catapulted her to the top.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Lol yeah that was goofy but not monstrous like cruising AA meetings for customers or doing crazy murders

Whomst among us has not cruised AA meetings for scam victims? How else am I gonna sell all these NFTs?!

wizardofloneliness posted:

Nah, Marie ruled, it just took a while to show. Her telling Walt to just kill himself catapulted her to the top.

All I can remember is "Sure, your husband is dying and also lying to you, but WHAT ABOUT MY STEALING ADDICTION?!"

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

wizardofloneliness posted:

Don't forget her enticing Hank to get out of the hospital.

Her kleptomania is the most pointless subplot of the show though

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

BB finale spoilers: I will say, Marie finding out about Hank's death was one of the most crushing moments in TV for me. :smith:

Feldegast42 posted:

Her kleptomania is the most pointless subplot of the show though

Yes, this is where I fall on it as well. She could have just been, like, the one "normal" supporting character in the whole thing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yes, this is where I fall on it as well. She could have just been, like, the one "normal" supporting character in the whole thing.

Yeah, it stank of the writers trying to giver her a "thing".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why does this go on for so fuckin long?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MarcusSA posted:

Why does this go on for so fuckin long?

This isn't an original opinion, as I've seen it a few times on twitter, but while the writing is terrible (going on forever, as you mentioned), the acting from her is perfect. I've been to comedy shows exactly like this (until the end, of course). This poorly performed, this unfunny, with this level of confidence.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, it stank of the writers trying to giver her a "thing".

I sort of remember something about, they wanted to make sure every character in s1 had a "dark" side to them to make them all morally ambiguous. I want to say it was touched on in one of the BB podcasts, maybe, possibly

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

This isn't an original opinion, as I've seen it a few times on twitter, but while the writing is terrible (going on forever, as you mentioned), the acting from her is perfect. I've been to comedy shows exactly like this (until the end, of course). This poorly performed, this unfunny, with this level of confidence.

Yeah I agree she does a great job of sucking the life out of the room (movie) so maybe I need to see it in context of the whole movie for it to make more sense.

I probably won't be doing that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You can tell a lot about a person on what they fixate on in Breaking Bad. No doubt the Skyler haters endlessly quote "I AM THE DANGER" and the like.