Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

it's simply the principle of someone or something daring to operate a much fancier toy than even our most extravagant black budget abominations IN OUR airspace without any regard for our authority

the lack of any apparent aggression or desire to put an to human shenanigans is besides the point

clearly they're demons that are an affront to god and the moral order

on the last note it's still funny to see so many chud rear end politicians chiming in on the subject
https://twitter.com/timburchett/status/1630609398723756050

Tekne has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Feb 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

the balloons… are here

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Tekne posted:

it's simply the principle of someone or something daring to operate a much fancier toy than even our most extravagant black budget abominations IN OUR airspace without any regard for our authority

the lack of any apparent aggression or desire to put an to human shenanigans is besides the point

on the last note it's still funny to see so many chud rear end politicians chiming in on the subject

quote:

On a clear, sunny day in April 2014, two F/A-18s took off for an air combat training mission off the coast of Virginia. The jets, part of my Navy fighter squadron, climbed to an altitude of 12,000 and steered towards Warning Area W-72, an exclusive block of airspace ten miles east of Virginia Beach. All traffic into the training area goes through a single GPS point at a set altitude — almost like a doorway into a massive room where military jets can operate without running into other aircraft. Just at the moment the two jets crossed the threshold, one of the pilots saw a dark gray cube inside of a clear sphere — motionless against the wind, fixed directly at the entry point. The jets, only 100 feet apart, zipped past the object on either side. The pilots had come so dangerously close to something they couldn’t identify that they terminated the training mission immediately and returned to base.
OK so that's a detail I had not yet heard

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tekne posted:

they can legally read all this poo poo out on the floor if they want to, it's fair game

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Marco gonna ride the UAP train all the way to the white house in 2024

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

they can legally read all this poo poo out on the floor if they want to, it's fair game

None of them want to stick their neck out for anything, it's a lifetime habit for politicians. Demanding someone else do something is the norm.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

sounds like they crapped their pants

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Also, regarding national security, one of the stories in the NatGeo series is from some guys who worked at a couple of nuclear missile launch sites during the Cold War. Both sites observed a similar UAP, but at one of the sites 10 of the missiles went inactive at the same time that they were responding to the UAP above the site. So if that story is accurate I can see why the national security argument would be persuasive.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Wheeee posted:

Marco gonna ride the UAP train all the way to the white house in 2024
for the inauguration, xorblax of alpha centauri will be performing "distant stars" on the harzicar with the marine chamber orchestra

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

the minute you do that you're out all your clearances and any interesting committee work, and probably get shut out of the whole party apparatus and then primaried by the next empty suit that the party has stuffed with focus group'd soundbites.

also it's pretty likely that Congress still isn't getting the whole story in the closed-door sessions, so there's probably not enough to come close to making that sort of sinecure sacrifice worth it

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Has anyone else read Patrick Harpur’s Daimonic Reality: A Field Guide to the Otherworld? It really got me thinking about UFOs/UAPs as repressed psychic energy made manifest, God knows the US has plenty of repressed psychic energy to go around

also there’s a distinct lack of fairy magic these days. We’ve gotta being the fairies back.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

captainbananas posted:

also it's pretty likely that Congress still isn't getting the whole story in the closed-door sessions, so there's probably not enough to come close to making that sort of sinecure sacrifice worth it

It's at least as likely that they have all of it and none of it is convincing so they maintain their exclusive access while alluding to the 'hidden truths', exploiting it for political aims.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Azathoth posted:

If we accept the underlying premise that it is a fundamental duty of a nationstate to control access to the space within its borders, and that part of controlling borders is controlling the airspace above claimed land, then yes it is absolutely a legitimate concern.

Accepting that what we're seeing is at least partially nuts and bolts, aka not an entirely psychological phenomenon, then there is, by governmental logic, someone who is not authorized to do so so flying over any and all of the US with utter impunity whenever they want whenever they want.

That is literally an existential threat under their assumptions, because if they cannot control access and prevent someone from doing something they don't want, it puts their very notion of sovereignty at risk.

Don't interrogate this structure, since it obviously falls apart once you start examining it too closely, but yes under the logic of the people making the claim, UFOs represent an existential threat.

That is exactly my problem. I think using the security concern as the main focus in the debate means internalizing some very dubious assertions. We accept this concern as legitimate, on the basis of controlling geography and preventing threats, yet the sovereign apparatus that has taken on (and derives some degree of legitimacy from) those duties is one that increases and reinforces systemic catastrophic risk, and falls back on deference to official secrecy to avoid sharing information about this relatively minor issue. That this issue represents a potential escape valve for the existential risk is just the cherry on top.

Maybe I'm fundamentally misreading this because I do not consider current USMIL concerns about alien security risks as legitimate, but who exactly is this air defense argument supposed to persuade, anyway? As a justification for pressing the military for more information, rhetorically it kinda works, but is the US military supposed to just admit they can't control US airspace because whoops there are undersea mil-research outposts off San Diego and Diego Garcia belonging to an alien civilization that's a few centuries ahead of us? That's even worse from their point of view. So is it meant to appeal to Americans who are scared of a tictac-based 9-11? Or is it just meant to slowly acclimate the coastal political base to UFOs?

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Wasn't there something like this too during the Nimitz 2004 tic tac? It was waiting for them right at the rendezvous or entry point to the training airspace. Seems interesting.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Uglycat posted:

It's at least as likely that they have all of it and none of it is convincing so they maintain their exclusive access while alluding to the 'hidden truths', exploiting it for political aims.

Yeah nah setting aside the argument that there is no convincing evidence of anything untowards, every org or agency that has the intel is executive and they're not going to read in anyone on intelligence or armed services until the decision is made that it is necessary. It's not like there's no historical precedent for that kinda poo poo. And, they can even do it legally easily enough if they scramble an F-22 or F-18 because, congrats, now you have a "highly classified intelligence operation with military support." No Congressional communion required.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

E Depois do Adeus posted:

That is exactly my problem. I think using the security concern as the main focus in the debate means internalizing some very dubious assertions. We accept this concern as legitimate, on the basis of controlling geography and preventing threats, yet the sovereign apparatus that has taken on (and derives some degree of legitimacy from) those duties is one that increases and reinforces systemic catastrophic risk, and falls back on deference to official secrecy to avoid sharing information about this relatively minor issue. That this issue represents a potential escape valve for the existential risk is just the cherry on top.

Maybe I'm fundamentally misreading this because I do not consider current USMIL concerns about alien security risks as legitimate, but who exactly is this air defense argument supposed to persuade, anyway? As a justification for pressing the military for more information, rhetorically it kinda works, but is the US military supposed to just admit they can't control US airspace because whoops there are undersea mil-research outposts off San Diego and Diego Garcia belonging to an alien civilization that's a few centuries ahead of us? That's even worse from their point of view. So is it meant to appeal to Americans who are scared of a tictac-based 9-11? Or is it just meant to slowly acclimate the coastal political base to UFOs?

Yeah, to be clear, I don't think that it is a legitimate concern. I do think that they think it is a legitimate concern.

I've said from the start that this whole dog and pony show that there's a game being run on us with all of this, but I'll be damned if I know what it is. That's probably the more important thing to focus on, not so much what they are saying, but what they are trying to accomplish.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, to be clear, I don't think that it is a legitimate concern. I do think that they think it is a legitimate concern.

I've said from the start that this whole dog and pony show that there's a game being run on us with all of this, but I'll be damned if I know what it is. That's probably the more important thing to focus on, not so much what they are saying, but what they are trying to accomplish.

thinking once again about how the son of a bay of pigs volunteer became a senior counterintelligence official and then became the face of the new media push re: UFOs

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

the debunker types point towards a drawing of a radar reflector from the 50s as proof that the navy guys are just seeing those but ignore that the real thing apparently doesn't look anything like the drawing lol

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

E Depois do Adeus posted:

I think it's meant to keep the phenomenon in front of both public and politician eyeballs because neither the media nor the government nor the average american are capable of paying the subject (and you can hot swap UAP/USO for most any subject here) any attention unless it is framed as some sort of serious risk to security. In other words, all of the people engaging in this framing are either true believers in the primacy of national security, or think that talking about the phenomena as something of scientific curiosity or religious or metaphysical interest or anything else won't get whatever results they're after. And it's guaranteed that there are many people/groups/interests riding this attention for many different reasons.

We can have a much more nuanced discussion / shitposting session here because we can make space for that. There is no space for that in mainstream media.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

captainbananas posted:

Depends on what you mean by legitimate concern.

The true believers / career technocrats in National Security / empire management who take UAPs/USOs seriously absolutely think it is a legitimate concern for national security.

But there are definitely people who understand that the only way to get high-level attention and funding on the subject is to frame it in that context even if they don't personally subscribe to it. Academics chasing soft-money grants for research are the grizzled veterans of this sort of approach; slap the right keywords and kayfabe on a project proposal and DARPA will help keep the lab running and the phd students grinding.

Somewhere in-between those two poles are the Marco Rubios of the world. As a politician it is impossible to know whether he has any sincerely held beliefs about anything. But we can observe that he wants, desperately, to be seen as a "Very Serious Person" and, therefore, one of the last of the Very Serious People in the GOP. Presumably, he thinks the median suburban voter will want a VSP over a Trump, DeSantis, or whoever else. Because Rubio is also observably stupid, etc.

The natsec concern begins and end with "what if our adversary has magic tech, psychic soldiers, or literal wizards, and we can't let there be a psychic soldiers gap.

We saw what happened the last time seemingly magic tech was something we could make (talkin bout nukes).

We don't want to live in the reality where the next step up in military capacity is done by not us.

If it's actual sentient beings moving FTL while having mass, there is literally nothing we can do but hope they treat us nicely, lol.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Has anyone else read Patrick Harpur’s Daimonic Reality: A Field Guide to the Otherworld? It really got me thinking about UFOs/UAPs as repressed psychic energy made manifest, God knows the US has plenty of repressed psychic energy to go around

also there’s a distinct lack of fairy magic these days. We’ve gotta being the fairies back.

Read that blog series I posted earlier!

Also, interesting chat tonight, thread, enjoying it a lot

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tekne posted:

That article is a pro read if anyone is just scrolling

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

macro sniffing the j'rooti

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Turtle Sandbox posted:

The natsec concern begins and end with "what if our adversary has magic tech, psychic soldiers, or literal wizards, and we can't let there be a psychic soldiers gap.

We saw what happened the last time seemingly magic tech was something we could make (talkin bout nukes).

We don't want to live in the reality where the next step up in military capacity is done by not us.

If it's actual sentient beings moving FTL while having mass, there is literally nothing we can do but hope they treat us nicely, lol.

yeah. if the apocryphal story about Carter being read-in and then bawling for hours/days is true, it would comport with what people who have worked for decades in the field of putting the screws to others who didn't have our tech tree might feel when they realize the tables are turned. And I don't think Carter would have cried if it were about religion; I think he's too religious to have that kind of poo poo phase his faith. But his understanding of realpolitik? Yeah.

And then it'd have to be tightly compartmentalized, because if people like, say, Bolton knew they could get done how they like to do, they'd probably go Full Lowtax.

Danru
May 23, 2022

My partner and I just started watching the nat geo series, and wow that is some really good stuff! Also what's happening/happened over St Petersburg? Pretty weird stuff apparently

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Danru posted:

My partner and I just started watching the nat geo series, and wow that is some really good stuff! Also what's happening/happened over St Petersburg? Pretty weird stuff apparently

St Pete is like the third or fourth weirdest part of Florida honestly

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Inspector Hound posted:

That article is a pro read if anyone is just scrolling

lol what:

The Navy has also officially acknowledged 11 near misses with UAP that required evasive action and triggered mandatory safety reports between 2004 and 2021. Advanced UAP also pose a growing safety hazard to commercial airliners. Last May, the Federal Aviation Administration issued an alert after a passenger aircraft flying over West Virginia experienced a rare failure of two major systems while passing underneath what appeared to be a UAP.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I liked

quote:

Just at the moment the two jets crossed the threshold, one of the pilots saw a dark gray cube inside of a clear sphere — motionless against the wind, fixed directly at the entry point. The jets, only 100 feet apart, zipped past the object on either side. The pilots had come so dangerously close to something they couldn’t identify that they terminated the training mission immediately and returned to base.

“I almost hit one of those drat things!” the flight leader, still shaken by the incident, told us shortly after in the pilots’ ready room. We all knew exactly what he meant. “Those drat things” had been plaguing us for the previous eight months.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Anyone know where I might be able to see the natgeo series? It doesn't appear to be officially available outside the US yet.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

Read that blog series I posted earlier!

Also, interesting chat tonight, thread, enjoying it a lot

Thanks, that was dope and in line with what I had taken away from Daimonic Reality. Love this part in particular:

quote:

Curiously, by the mid-1990s, UFOs were no longer putting on dramatic close encounters of the first, second, and third kind “performances” as they had since 1947…No more reported up-close (-500 feet) sightings of structured craft, no more UFOs buzzing cars and stopped their engines, no more observed sky-to-ground landings and weird pilots zapping and burning witnesses with beams of light…

By the 1990s, night-time bedroom abductions largely seemed to have become the method of Otherworldly interaction…It is possible that enough of the populace had come to believe in extraterrestrials visiting the Earth that a hundredth-monkey effect had taken place: the ETs no longer manifested geologist-biologist-like behavior, that is, space-suited beings taking soil samples and zapping witnesses with those damned “flashlights.” Such trappings were of the Space Age 1960s-70s, in line with expectations of ET space explorers…Interestingly, once the international treaties banning the testing of nuclear weapons were instituted by the 1990s, the aliens’ message had dropped the explicit nuke warning and they began preaching about the environmental degradation of the earth.

Again, it is a message that meets a popular psychological need, and tracks with cultural change.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

it dont matter posted:

Anyone know where I might be able to see the natgeo series? It doesn't appear to be officially available outside the US yet.

Hulu.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

very end of the latest ep of otherworld ties into the monroe institute and i guess the next couple of eps will be diving into the tapes/the cia report thereof, neat!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hooplah posted:

very end of the latest ep of otherworld ties into the monroe institute and i guess the next couple of eps will be diving into the tapes/the cia report thereof, neat!

im listening to part one, and man her husband is the most granola sounding motherfucker to ever do it

but the stuff the medium is talking about sounds familiar enough

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Hooplah posted:

The closure of St. Petersburg airport is in no way related to recent NORAD and U. S. Northern Command operations associated with airborne objects over North America during the last month.

Ty

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Thanks, that was dope and in line with what I had taken away from Daimonic Reality. Love this part in particular:

its a very interesting post, thanks for linking it here Barry!

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

reminds me of how the tic tac somehow knew the precise gps coordinates of the jet’s rendezvous point (can’t recall the exact term), which it sped directly to and sat on after the initial interception.

I don’t know how those gps coordinates work exactly but i assume they only exist as 1s and 0s in the jet/ship computers.

it is indeed a pretty weird detail!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
There was that paper posted a while ago where they argued proof of aliens would obliterate the concept of sovereignty itself

You could argue that even non sociologists would realize this even if it wasn't in the academic mode and it would undermine pretty much all politics and ideologies

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We will never give up our petty squabbles

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Too bad they'll never rip the band-aid off and tell us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We will never give up our petty squabbles

Ryan Graves posted:

We Have a Real UFO Problem. And It’s Not Balloons.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/28/ufo-uap-navy-intelligence-00084537

Mick West posted:

No Mere Balloons?
An Open Letter to Ryan Graves, Concerning the Ambiguity of Unidentified Aerial Phenomena

...many of the things that appear to be interesting are, in fact, mere balloons.
https://mickwest.substack.com/p/no-mere-balloons

lol