Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
nothing feels better than a good cosmo snipe

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

There was a video from a while back where Ben listed his 5 favorite decks, they were pretty much admittedly less effective at winning and more effective at ruining your opponent's day. Messing with your opponent is a very deliberate part of the game design.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

boar guy posted:

wait the control deck i've been working on is....disrespectful?

lol

that's kind of the point, n'est-ce pas?

I agree it isn't fun to play against, but either your deck can handle it or you retreat. I'm sure my control deck isn't fun to play against when I move my opponent's cards all over the board. I know it's not fun for them when my Magneto yoinks their Wong with priority. :)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ran into my second Kang, and they already played Daredevil on turn 2.

So...what was gained? They already knew what I was doing on turn 5 before they played a card/revealed.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

I got a Viper variant with tentacle hair? It's the "Secret Wars Variant". And the credits gave me Sentry, so I guess the game wants me to try out that combo.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

No Wave posted:

Does this apply to storm, spider man, prof x or just viper? Getting matched vs viperdebrii in central park is really annoying but whatever so is shuri on sinlon and a hundred other things.

I've seen it 4 times in 7 games this morning so it's getting to me. And it isn't one card, it's the combination of all of them. The others are different, it's about control and it has counters and can be overcome. ProfX costs 5 so you know its coming late-game, Storm gives you a round to come up with a counter and things can still be moved to the spot, Spider-Man allows you to sneak things into the lane with Doom or movement. If your deck's goal is to fill my board with so much garbage that I can't play and have no recourse but to back out, you're never going to have anyone play you out to the end, you're only going to get cubes through retreat.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

New Leaf posted:

I know, right? At least lower my power, don't give me Tippy-Toe.

I all seriousness though, I really do hate it. You didn't "win", you made the game unplayable for your opponent. That's not the same. If you showed up to a friendly basketball game and took a dump in the middle of the court, you didn't beat the other team, you made them walk off in disgust.

Losing because you have super low points and/or can’t play just feels worse psychologically somehow than someone dropping massive points on their side of the board instead,

Which is exactly why I do it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

WaffleZombie posted:

I got a Viper variant with tentacle hair? It's the "Secret Wars Variant". And the credits gave me Sentry, so I guess the game wants me to try out that combo.

That Viper rocks. I wish I had more decks I could use her in.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Protip posted:

I'll be adding Shuri to your big chonkers deck finally! Have you continued playing it much in the current meta? I got to 64 on it and then just seemed to hit a wall of Shang Chi which feels like everyone is now running.

Congrats on getting Shuri.

I usually play about one deck per week (not a rule, just a trend) and so I haven't been playing Chonkers much. When I got infinite it was twice back to back just at the end of one season and the beginning of another. I've been playing with other decks but did play it when the lockjaw-effect location was featured. Given that cycling I used to climb with that deck throughout one week of a season for fun and then drop like 30 ranks when playing with something else less competitive but still fun. I've been playing with a Move Your Opponents Cards deck, a Destroy Your Opponent's Deck deck (yondu, falcon, cable, beast, wong, gambit), and over the past week a Galactus deck.

Anyways, the short answer is "no I haven't been playing it much" but more to your question: Shang Chi is always a possible threat. If I have any fear of him I usually check my priority and bounce if it's possible that he'll come out first when a given turn will be a make or break for the game. With some decks he's just not even really included (I personally rarely see him in discard decks, for instance, so I never fear them). Just to check it out I loaded up Chonkers this morning before responding and I went 5-0. One opponent had Shang Chi (that I know of) but whiffed with him due to priority and Zola.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 1, 2023

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I bought the Mystique bundle. Dammit. That variant is on fire.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

suction posted:

When you get Wave, try out this deck. It's surprisingly consistent. It carries me to infinite this season.

# (1) Ebony Maw
# (2) Scorpion
# (2) Lizard
# (3) Electro
# (3) Wave
# (5) Leech
# (5) Aero
# (5) Vision
# (6) Doctor Doom
# (6) Odin
# (6) America Chavez
# (6) Magneto
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2NvcnBpb24ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkxpemFyZCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiV2F2ZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRWxlY3RybyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQWVybyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRHJEb29tIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJPZGluIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJWaXNpb24ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkxlZWNoIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJNYWduZXRvIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJBbWVyaWNhQ2hhdmV6In0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJFYm9ueU1hdyJ9XX0=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

I got stuck on 75, tried this deck and didn’t do great so did some tweaking and came up with the below. Doing well so far and got me over my 75 hump to 81 in two days:

Basically put down whatever on t1 and 2, on t3 do Wave or Electro (trying to keep at least one lane clear for your big cards in case you want to Zola one of them), then depending on what you’ve pulled play a 6 a 5 and a 6 cost card or a 5, 6 and 6.

For points I like Black Panther, Zola, Odin (Onto Zola so he gets transported onto the BPs and doubles them) as it puts 40 points each on two lanes.

BP > Doom > Odin is good too.

Leech and Sandman are tech cards if you’re facing a deck that either one will screw over.

With Zola or Doom you can project power into your Ebony Maw lane which is why he’s a good pick.

# (1) Sunspot
# (1) Iceman
# (1) Ebony Maw
# (3) Electro
# (3) Wave
# (5) Leech
# (5) Black Panther
# (5) Sandman
# (6) Arnim Zola
# (6) Doctor Doom
# (6) Odin
# (6) America Chavez
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU3Vuc3BvdCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSWNlbWFuIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJFYm9ueU1hdyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRWxlY3RybyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiV2F2ZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTGVlY2gifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkJsYWNrUGFudGhlciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2FuZG1hbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiT2RpbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQW1lcmljYUNoYXZleiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQXJuaW1ab2xhIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJEckRvb20ifV19
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I've had Shuri for a while but don't even know what to do with her. I feel like everyone sees her coming these days and gets out of the way.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Sean posted:

Destroy Your Opponent's Deck deck (yondu, falcon, cable, beast, wong, gambit)

This sounds like my jam. What're you wrapping around the shell, please and thank you.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Got a pixel iron man from the bundle. It sucks.

The Sean posted:

Congrats on getting Shuri.

I've been playing with a Move Your Opponents Cards deck, a Destroy Your Opponent's Deck deck (yondu, falcon, cable, beast, wong, gambit), and over the past week a Galactus deck.

Is the "Move Your Opponents Cards" deck the one you posted ages and ages ago? Been meaning to try that out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I pulled valkyrie. I cant make her work. If you reveal first she sucks and if you reveal second you lose to aero. And if you try to clog your board and run her with patriot you end up ahead going into 6. I'm glad I pulled her she's a cool interesting card but so awkward to try to get stuff done.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

my bundle variant was...pixel Rhino.

but the boosters gave me Knull from a reserve so land of contrasts

now if I could get Wave, Zero, She-Hulk, Venom, Patriot, and Polaris, I could do some fun stuff.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 1, 2023

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Snapping should unlock opponent's end turn, getting punished for not waiting for snaps loving sucks.

Or just don't inform you of opponent's snap until you hit end turn. It shouldn't be optimal to wait out the turn timer.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Walla posted:

I bought the Mystique bundle. Dammit. That variant is on fire.

It's really good. I already have a decent Mytique variant and have burnt out on playing lately but still considering it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

kaschei posted:

Snapping should unlock opponent's end turn, getting punished for not waiting for snaps loving sucks.

Or just don't inform you of opponent's snap until you hit end turn. It shouldn't be optimal to wait out the turn timer.

Agreed on all points. I hope they'll make this change in the future. I'd also like a vibration for a Snap, I don't play games with sound on ever and most of the time I play distracted (working, watching TV, etc) so I might miss it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've been seeing more than a couple streamer videos popping up in my YT feed talking about being burnt out, bad economy, etc lately.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Burnt out already? After only 6 months of 6 hours of snap per day?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Fair, I haven't really followed any other game like this for years now, Hearthstone was the last one. I don't know how those streamers are doing these days.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I will say SNAP has very major problems at the highest mmr brackets. Matchmaking there is the most broken thing I have ever seen, a streamer like EducatedCollins plays against 90%+ bots. It is actually impossible to play marvel snap on ladder when your mmr is too high (I do not have this problem). This makes it especially difficult for certain kinds of content creators because they no longer are actually able to play the game and climbing ranks is not easy go-to content the way it is in HS legend.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

When MMR is too high

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It sucks that cards aero'd over to quantum realm before they're revealed don't get reduced but i get it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ran into my second Kang, and they already played Daredevil on turn 2.

So...what was gained? They already knew what I was doing on turn 5 before they played a card/revealed.

If they played Kang on 5, nothing. If they played Kang on 6, they saw every major play you made in the game.

No Wave posted:

I pulled valkyrie. I cant make her work. If you reveal first she sucks and if you reveal second you lose to aero. And if you try to clog your board and run her with patriot you end up ahead going into 6. I'm glad I pulled her she's a cool interesting card but so awkward to try to get stuff done.

Valkyrie is seriously good in Thanos decks, which can both clog their board and not be ahead but still win the game. It's one of the best defences against Aero because between Blue Marvel and Soul Stone you pretty much win whichever lane she finishes in.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I own Thanos but I'm too much of a snowflake to play him while he's op.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No Wave posted:

I own Thanos but I'm too much of a snowflake to play him while he's op.

You could always try Cerebro-3, then. She's nifty in that because along with Bast she allows Cerebro and Mystique to self-buff.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jedit posted:

If they played Kang on 5, nothing. If they played Kang on 6, they saw every major play you made in the game.

It was turn 5, which is why is was baffling.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Jedit posted:

You could always try Cerebro-3, then. She's nifty in that because along with Bast she allows Cerebro and Mystique to self-buff.
Yeah, I'll have to. No bast but whatever I have nothing to lose.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

New Leaf posted:

I hate decks that just full of things to irritate the opponent. I just played against someone who used Viper to send me a Squirrel, dropped Debrii, then started sending Goblins. Since hitting 60 that's all I ever see. I know it's a game and it's a viable strategy but it feels disrespectful and unsportsmanlike. Don't thumbs up me when I retreat because I don't want to deal with your bullshit. Take your single cube, hope choke on it.

Oof, yeah, I've had a few of those. I call them troll decks, since that's obviously their intended win con

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
5900 tokens and Galactus is in my shop, but I kinda want Thanos instead...

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I just unlocked Patriot. I've played against Patriot Ultron so many times that I'm honestly sick of the deck, but I went ahead and put together a quick Patriot Surfer deck with Storm and Brood and Sinister as well as White Tiger and Doom. It's basically a C2 deck with a little extra oomph. Seems alright so far.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Patriot Surfer is p good in current meta cuz folks will usually be expecting straight up Patriot (I’ve seen the storm and been like “ahh so they can fill it with Ultron/Doom bots later”) and you can probably sneak some wins on that alone.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

My last 3 random variants have been pixel :nexus:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

My Negative Zabu deck has been doing pretty well today. The featured location is probably a big part of that, since it helps mitigate some of the "Oh no, I have cards in hand that didn't get Negative zapped"

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Pulled She-Hulk :woop: My Jolibee deck was already my personal favorite and it's only getting more fun

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Sandwolf posted:

Patriot Surfer is p good in current meta cuz folks will usually be expecting straight up Patriot (I’ve seen the storm and been like “ahh so they can fill it with Ultron/Doom bots later”) and you can probably sneak some wins on that alone.

I probably won't play it much. I'd rather play C2 and my movement deck is more fun right now. I do try to use nearly every new card I get just to see if I like it. Except Ultron. gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

All right, against my better judgement, I am going to buy the More Magic bundle.

ed: Pixel Magik :rolldice: