Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I am ok with exhaust, brake, or engine work. Suspension scares me. I've dropped and reinstalled the engine on the china bike. I don't have a center stand or a ton of space. I could hang the versys from the garage rafters but it's just sus and I'd rather just have someone else do it.

Thanks everyone. I spoke to the shop. They do them on the regular on more expensive bikes, they can install locally. It's gonna add some cost but I am totally OK with it. The guy was trying to save me money.

Edit: Maybe I'll buy a center stand this spring so I can do my own fork oil and stuff.

Suspension has stuff with like shims, the install will take drilling of the rods it looks. I prefer to give it to a professional who's done it before.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Otoh just changing spring rates can make things worse because increasing spring rate also has the effect of virtually reducing rebound damping as there's more force trying to extend the fork when it's unloaded.

I thought the problem with a spring rate being too high (or stiff/firm/whatever) is the spring won't adequately compress, so when it rebounds it reduces the load into the tire because the whole bike basically went up instead of the spring compressing. Or is that also what happens when you don't have sufficient rebound damping?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I am going to do tires anyway. Probably some road 5 or road 6es. The shop has I guess a reputation for being cheap for all the local GSXR kids. They have been in business for like 30 years for Harleys so it's a good sign. Other shops around here are open for like 2-3 years before closing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

I thought the problem with a spring rate being too high (or stiff/firm/whatever) is the spring won't adequately compress, so when it rebounds it reduces the load into the tire because the whole bike basically went up instead of the spring compressing. Or is that also what happens when you don't have sufficient rebound damping?

There are loads of different ways changing stuff effects other stuff and loads of other ways of compensating for it and you go around and around until you have a GP bike

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Are you telling me there’s not one weird trick to being a riding god?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There is absolutely one weird trick, you just need to git gud scrub

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Stiffer springs will just make the ride harder all around. Cartridge emulators will make the front end stiff under slow, steady forces (e.g. braking) and compliant under fast, sharp forces (e.g. potholes), which is what you want. They were a massive upgrade on my Hawk GT.

I always wondered about the "inertial dampers" that I picked up for my Weestrom before I sold it. Instead of being conventional cartridge emulators they had this little weight that moved to uncover a larger orifice depending on which way the fork got shoved, and they certainly did reduce brake dive but I have to think there's a reason they're a niche product

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

how naiive am I to think I can import an old bike from japan?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You definitely can do it. You can go solo or pay someone to do it for you, which is what I would do.

http://www.moto2imports.com

They have a small inventory of bikes they've imported and are looking to sell, or you can find a bike for sale online and hire them to import it on your behalf.

I'm sure there are loads of companies that do this, but this is the only one I know.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

how naiive am I to think I can import an old bike from japan?

All the good ones are gone because non Americans had the same idea twenty years ago, enjoy your ninja 650 sleeved down to 400

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’ll just wait and see if there’s a new spate of 400cc 4s to compete with kawis new offering (honda neo cafe pls)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Apropos of nothing the worst JDM only bike I've seen has to be the vstar 400 which was literally a sleeved down vstar650 engine with the rest of the bike identical. The 650 already borders on too slow for it's own good, when I rode a 400 I initially thought it had blocked carbs or something.

The monster 400 is also Very Bad

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Slavvy posted:

Apropos of nothing the worst JDM only bike I've seen has to be the vstar 400 which was literally a sleeved down vstar650 engine with the rest of the bike identical. The 650 already borders on too slow for it's own good, when I rode a 400 I initially thought it had blocked carbs or something.

The monster 400 is also Very Bad

jesus god why??? the 650 is good as a beginner cruiser but keeping the weight and everything else the same but cutting it by 250 cc is criminal. Thing likely topped out at 50 and screamed when it was going

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

UCS Hellmaker posted:

jesus god why??? the 650 is good as a beginner cruiser but keeping the weight and everything else the same but cutting it by 250 cc is criminal. Thing likely topped out at 50 and screamed when it was going

Easy resale into a different tax classification for certain engine sizes. It's the whole reason you get bikes that are named things like ZX-6R and then, when you look on the engine case, the engine size imprint says 599 cc. instead of just being 600 cc.

I actually don't know the different thresholds, but I do think 399 cc is one of them in Japan.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's not a tax thing it's a license thing. Getting the license for bikes bigger than 400 is excruciating so most people don't try and the manufacturers make a 400 version of basically every popular bike - sv650, ninja 650, gsr750 all come in a 400 version and there are loads of others.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*laughs in American motorcycle licensing* while I ride away on my temps and crash this brand new ZX14 that I just bought 5 minutes ago

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 26, 2023

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Why is the service interval of the MT07 and XSR 700 4000 miles in the US but 6000 miles in the UK?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Because then they make more money?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Then why are the both not 4000 miles??

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

CongoJack posted:

Why is the service interval of the MT07 and XSR 700 4000 miles in the US but 6000 miles in the UK?

Distances are longer in metric countries, how do you not know this?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Seems to be about the right ratio between freedom miles and metric miles

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

ought ten posted:

Distances are longer in metric countries, how do you not know this?

Nobody ever told me. Thanks though that explains it.

CongoJack fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 27, 2023

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Cuz us Americans are gonna redline in 1st down the freeway because gently caress gears 🦅

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slide Hammer posted:

Easy resale into a different tax classification for certain engine sizes. It's the whole reason you get bikes that are named things like ZX-6R and then, when you look on the engine case, the engine size imprint says 599 cc. instead of just being 600 cc.

I actually don't know the different thresholds, but I do think 399 cc is one of them in Japan.

The 599/999 thing is to meet specs for racing series like WSBK, where they draw the displacement lines for I4s at 600 and 1000cc. If you're a hair under, you're fine, if you're a hair over you don't race.

Kawasaki is unusual in that they made a >600cc version for general consumption in the ZX-6R (636cc) and then a 599 version (ZX-6RR) for people who actually wanted to use it in 600cc races or just wanted the bragging rights, though it's probably happened elsewhere

Phy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 27, 2023

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Thanks for the corrections on both counts. Although, I could've sworn that one model or size-class was for tax classification purposes...

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Hm, anyone ever paint motorcycle fairings?
Like, you can buy professional lacquer or urethane. The shelf life is short.
I've used spraypaint on cheap toys, it's very soft but looks actually good if you take your time and do many light coats.

Like is there something in between for like a track bike that probably is going to go down at some point?
I have a compressor and am not opposed to learning how to use a spray gun.

Is there a hard clearcoat that is accessible and decently strong?

Is rattle can spraypaint inherently bad?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've painted stand-up jetskis before. Small fiberglass or carbon hulls that experience a lot of flex.
I've used standard PPG and House of Kolor epoxy primers, both self etching and standard.
On top of that, primer sealer and then base coat, as much as you want.
If you want graphics or stickers, you'd clean and apply them now
After that, a urethane clear coat with flex additive. The cure on the clear coat takes a while - in colder temperatures it can take weeks.
That's about as complicated as it gets. I'm not suggesting that you do all of that, I just wanted to highlight the process for a similar application. Each of these steps also requires reducer (thinner) and hardener.
On the compressor side, use a moisture separator and make sure the compressor can drive the required flow at the required pressure. HVLP spray guns work well but they are pretty demanding wrt/air flow requirements.

Note:. Buy a good full face mask with filter cartridges appropriate for the substances you'll be spraying. Organic paint fumes are no joke and can kill noyou or otherwise gently caress you up.
You'll also want a makeshift paint booth with plastic sheeting, a fan and an intake filter. PVC piping works great as a frame or you can attach the sheeting directly to the framing in your garage, idk. I've done it both ways.
You also want to hang your parts or build a jig for them so that you can spray the entire part at the right distance and without touching it.

These paint jobs I described have been holding up for 8-10 years now and still look reasonably good from 6ft away

There are some really good quality rattle can paints out there that will probably do what you want with far less effort.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 28, 2023

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I'd like to replace the stock Pirelli Phantom Sportscomps on my Triumph Bonneville T120 this spring, a little earlier than necessary- there's a good chance the only gain will be placebo effect and a fresh profile, but there's something I've never quite liked about the way they feel or transition into leans.

Stock are apparently bias in the front (100/90-18) and radial in the rear (150/70-17). The Facebook T120 hivemind seems to be of the opinion that it's a good idea to replace that front bias tire with a tubed radial, and go from 100/90-18 to 110/80-18. Does that collective take hold water?

E: vvvvvvv thanks for the sanity check, I think a thousand FB posters might agree on something and still be entirely wrong.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 1, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There are better tyres available in 110/80 yeah. It's a sizing change that can be detectable, but not compared to the change you get from going to a different tyre and construction entirely. There is no reason you couldn't or shouldn't run a radial with a tube.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
My new-to-me 2020 sv650 is missing a rubber nubbin under the seat:

I can see this has been missing for a while, there's some paint that's rubbed off the frame which I guess the nubbin is supposed to protect. I put a few layers of electrical tape on the frame but I'd rather have all four nubbins if it's possible to get as a spare part for a not unreasonable sum. Does anyone know a parts number or the proper name of the nubbin? I don't have a workshop manual for this thing yet since it's not available as a pdf at the usual getting places in a decent searchable form, though I realise I'll probably have to pony up and buy the thing on paper eventually.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Invalido posted:

My new-to-me 2020 sv650 is missing a rubber nubbin under the seat:

I can see this has been missing for a while, there's some paint that's rubbed off the frame which I guess the nubbin is supposed to protect. I put a few layers of electrical tape on the frame but I'd rather have all four nubbins if it's possible to get as a spare part for a not unreasonable sum. Does anyone know a parts number or the proper name of the nubbin? I don't have a workshop manual for this thing yet since it's not available as a pdf at the usual getting places in a decent searchable form, though I realise I'll probably have to pony up and buy the thing on paper eventually.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/09321-10012?ref=c3a2970004569fd4b6798c211bf6931465f66ae8

(#7 here: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2020/sv650/seat-sv650-sv650a)

But I'd probably just find something around the house or at a hardware store.

e: more reasonable shipping here if you don't want to pay $12 to ship a $2 part from partzilla: https://www.ebay.com/itm/275705591436

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
If it is just the regular seat you might find it on partzilla. I think I found your seat https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2020/sv650/seat-sv650-sv650a

Hard to tell from the picture but I think it’s number 7?

E; Damnit, too slow

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Interesting to see someone posting from prison just prior to shivving a guy

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

Interesting to see someone posting from prison just prior to shivving a guy

I should have pointed out the problem with a #2 JIS screwdriver in retrospect

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It looks like you're demanding the seat tell you where the rubber stopper is or else :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Order up that nubbin and then go get a tetanus booster, please

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
That's the prying knife. Good for opening paint cans and scraping filth off of sewer pipes and such. Thanks for the parts number though! I can order the part for 3 eurobucks with another 20 in shipping. Lol. It might be time to call the local suzuki people, if they don't come through maybe time to see if hockey puck rubber can be turned in the lathe.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just 3D print a new one in Ninjaflex or similar elastomer. It'll cost like 40 cents of material and it'll be done in an hour. sheesh

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Start making a ball of rubber bands and shove it in there

I'm a sucker for OEM parts so I'd just deal with the outrageous shipping charges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm a sucker for OEM parts so I'd just deal with the outrageous shipping charges
Yeah, OEM rules. There's a dealer for my Korean shitbox car maker right next to my work to where I can order little cheap things that broke with no shipping and it's kind of great, apart from having to call them on the phone like a caveman. Thanks to the parts number and some google-fu I found an online vendor of OEM suzuki parts in country that only charges 10€ for freight so I'll just order two nubbins, have one spare (that I probably won't find by the time I need it) and call it good.