Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Crusty Nutsack posted:

… I absolutely hate that all the warehouse clubs act like all members may be stealing

The apartments where I used to live had gated entry. But realistically, you could reach over the pedestrian gate to open it, and the vehicle gates took so long to open and close, and were broken so often, that you could usually drive in without an opener.

They easily inconvenienced paying residents more than criminals. But they were there because they suggested value and exclusivity worth paying extra for.

Costco card and receipt checkers are part of the same sort of kayfabe, IMO. And ultimately I spend less time waiting for someone to draw a line on my receipt than I did for ¼ POUND PLUS ALL BEEF HOT DOG AND 20 oz. SODA (With Refill), so it doesn’t bother me too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Smugworth posted:

Free Chinatown

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Who are these mystical receipt checkers who actually read the receipts that closely? The checkers in New England glance toward my receipts then look away in disgust as if they were told to watch me pee for a drug test.

Also for soda chat, I switched like 5 years ago to mostly those flavor water squirt things like Mio. Definitely cheaper than soda but I don't think I've ever seen Costco carry anything like those. It would be dope if I could buy some 1 gallon industrial drum of the stuff so I have enough for the rest of my life.

Yesterday the door guy dug through my wife's shopping bags while he was checking her receipt, while apologizing because "his manager was staring right at him"

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
¼ POUND PLUS ALL BEEF HOT DOG AND 20 oz. SODA (With Free Chinatown)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Crusty Nutsack posted:

yeah it's a bullshit PR line about how it's actually about helping customers.

in my case, the guy was nice and apparently this self checkout lady does this a lot because he knew what happened immediately :rolleyes: but I absolutely hate that all the warehouse clubs act like all members may be stealing

like what are they going to do if I just walk out? I have my receipt, I paid for everything, gonna call the cops cause I didn't get a little highlighter mark? dumb dumb dumb

They can revoke your membership, part of the user agreement is you have to let them inspect your receipt on exit. Weirdly, since alcohol has to be sold without requiring a card, I wonder what happens if you tell them "lol no" when buying a few bottles.

There used to be news stories about people refusing at regular big box stores and cops getting called and one of the big things from it was if there is no membership requirement to purchase you cannot demand to inspect the proof.

Costco is even pretty bad about it by comparison. They made the self checkouts a different paper color so the door checkers know to inspect extra carefully and slow everything down. Sam's Club has those phones+barcode scanners and they scan the receipt then randomly scan 3 items to confirm they are legit.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Crusty Nutsack posted:

yeah it's a bullshit PR line about how it's actually about helping customers.

It actually does help customers. My aunt was a receipt checker for Price Club (OG Costco in many places), and the cashiers hated how often she caught their mistakes.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It actually does help customers. My aunt was a receipt checker for Price Club (OG Costco in many places), and the cashiers hated how often she caught their mistakes.

Yeah because the cashiers probably get written up for every item they missed.

I worked at BJ's many many years ago and the door checkers were completely ostracized by the rest of the store because it was their job to get everyone else in trouble. Fuckin' narcs are what they are.

Feels real good to check out 120+ customers in a single day and gross over $25,000, then get taken to the back office and get written up because you missed a $5 pack of post-it notes

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A funny story from that place

The cashiers were collecting write ups like high scores because the front line manager was aware of the nature of the job. The employee handbook outlined how many you can get and their severity based off of dollar amount before being terminated, but it was pretty much ignored except for the worst offenders since it was inevitable.

One day a new General Manager comes in and, on his first day in, without consulting the front line manager, throws the book at the cashiers and fires everyone who was above write-up threshold. Of a total of 30 cashiers, only 2 kept their jobs. He saw nothing wrong with this. No replacements lined up and didn't even notify the front line manager to what he was doing.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Sounds like typical new manager BS to me “day one I ensured that employee handbook standards were being applied to reduce stock loss in relation to poor staff performance, I am sure the staff who will be picking up that slack will be more dutiful now”.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The super hosed up part was that the front line manager called everybody back and desperately tried to convince as many people to come back so she could at minimum staff the evening rush. A few of them were actually loving grateful to the GM for...letting them have their jobs back. One person told me that they owed their job to them and was not pleased when I reminded them that it was his fault that they lost their job in the first place. I don't like making GBS threads on part time workers, and I especially don't like making GBS threads on people in customer service roles, but man some of my coworkers there were the dumbest human beings alive. Even my extremely naïve 18 year old self was baffled at the way some of those people thought.

That place was stupid busy. There were 30 registers and we'd routinely open all 27 working ones still have 30 minute waits to check out. There was flat out not enough people on payroll to staff a single shift to prevent it from becoming a disaster without getting some of those employees back. Even weeknights got really bad around 6PM.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

The super hosed up part was that the front line manager called everybody back and desperately tried to convince as many people to come back so she could at minimum staff the evening rush

But it is the unions that are evil

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

pentyne posted:

They can revoke your membership, part of the user agreement is you have to let them inspect your receipt on exit. Weirdly, since alcohol has to be sold without requiring a card, I wonder what happens if you tell them "lol no" when buying a few bottles.

ah, right. I'm guessing that doesn't happen often because they want your sweet sweet membership fees

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I mean sure, it does help sometimes, but I don't think that's why it's done. I would guess it's more a combination of finding mistakes their cashiers are making, stopping theft, and kayfabe to make people feel special, as other people mentioned

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Renegret posted:

One day a new General Manager comes in and, on his first day in, without consulting the front line manager, throws the book at the cashiers and fires everyone who was above write-up threshold. Of a total of 30 cashiers, only 2 kept their jobs. He saw nothing wrong with this. No replacements lined up and didn't even notify the front line manager to what he was doing.

how the gently caress are you going to handle any amount of business for a day with two cashiers, much less for a week? more? until new cashiers are hired

I am dying to know what happened after that, did half the employees have to move to being lovely cashiers? was he out there ringing up purchases?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

death cob for cutie posted:

how the gently caress are you going to handle any amount of business for a day with two cashiers, much less for a week? more? until new cashiers are hired

I am dying to know what happened after that, did half the employees have to move to being lovely cashiers? was he out there ringing up purchases?

no

sadly most of the staff just took their jobs back (at the same pay, of course) and returned back to work

just loving depressing all around

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U8k98LPpjg

end of movie spoiler alert, the faster cashier wasn't ringing merchandise so that it would go faster

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Smugworth posted:

Free Chinatown samples

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Costco reserves the right to revoke your membership at any time. So, if you're caught not-so-sneakily returning old, used products, you might find yourself on Costco's blacklist, which could include a lifetime ban from ever buying a Costco membership again.

All returns are up to the discretion of the store manager, too. So they may accept your package of strawberries that has grown mold, but they might not accept your past-expiration ground beef. Essentially, when it comes to Costco returns, use your best judgment and only return items that are truly worth returning. Because scoring a few extra dollars probably isn't worth losing your perks as a Costco member.

Probably just takes a few really bad returns to get on their radar.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Renegret posted:

But it is the unions that are evil

I don't think you're encouraging solidarity by ranting about how receipt-checkers are traitors to the proletariat.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Door checker looked at my receipt and said “Where’s the 7 all beef 1/4 pound hotdogs that are on this receipt?” And I said “They’re inside me” and she said “There’s no way you could eat 7 of our huge dogs at once” and I said “I never said I ate them.”

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

1.33 hot dog and refill at Costco china

🅱️ jin ping is doing work

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Do the Costco door guys check every item or something?

With Sam's I'm using the mobile pay system where you can barcodes as you put stuff in your cart, and the person at the door scans the QR code on my phone, then scans three random things to see that they were included in the receipt, and tells me I'm good to go. Some items were buried invisible, but they scanned their three items and let me go.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Lat month I talked about my hometown Price Club and Costco shutting it down and building a new warehouse feet away a few years later, and how it always stumped me why that happened.

I learned: some (not all) Price Clubs were unionized, so Costco shut down those stores.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 1, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think the main thing for Costco is item count. They're been doing that more and more lately.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bird with big dick posted:

Door checker looked at my receipt and said “Where’s the 7 all beef 1/4 pound hotdogs that are on this receipt?” And I said “They’re inside me” and she said “There’s no way you could eat 7 of our huge dogs at once” and I said “I never said I ate them.”

Was that last frame how they looked?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I’ve heard of ripping rear end, but this is ridiculous!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bird with big b-hole

---
Free Chinatown

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

That's a weird way to commune at the church but to each their own.

Due to my location I have never been to a US Costco but that is due to change in the near future. Question is: will I be able to find Jongga (the one with 2 Gs) kimchi in the church near Pharr Tx? Never seen kimchi in Mexican Costco and thread has made me curious about trying that

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Renegret posted:

Gee, I wonder why that GM was moved from wherever they were to your store? Usually, fuckups in management just get moved around rather than fired (until there's a district or regional management opening...) Or I guess they could be a new manager, which then I would question how you get to be a GM without being an assistant or department manager.

El Padrino posted:

That's a weird way to commune at the church but to each their own.

Due to my location I have never been to a US Costco but that is due to change in the near future. Question is: will I be able to find Jongga (the one with 2 Gs) kimchi in the church near Pharr Tx? Never seen kimchi in Mexican Costco and thread has made me curious about trying that

I don't know how consistent it is across Texas Costcos, but the one up here in Southlake had it. Pharr is almost as far away as you can get from DFW in TX, though.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

this guy is why they removed the onion dispensers

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Darchangel posted:

I don't know how consistent it is across Texas Costcos, but the one up here in Southlake had it. Pharr is almost as far away as you can get from DFW in TX, though.

We have it at both of the San Antonio Costcos I shop at. The one with 2 g’s

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Sang Angtonio

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Should I go to Costco?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

StormDrain posted:

Should I go to Costco?

"Yes, always!" Orson Welles, 1970

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

New costco discount book arrived. Gonna get me some discounted Rao's, dishwasher detergent and soap, depends, and bibigo dumplings

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Hour posted:

"Yes, always!" Orson Welles, 1970

Costco does sell big bags of frozen peaness

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

StormDrain posted:

Should I go to Costco?

Yes I’m here waiting for you

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Went to Costco today for some basics. Left with a half dozen carrot cakes.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Glad to hear you stuck to the plan

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Thank you for shopping at. Cost. Co.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

New costco discount book arrived. Gonna get me some discounted Rao's, dishwasher detergent and soap, depends, and bibigo dumplings

bibigo loving owns