Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

inthesto posted:

Chloe just doesn't do enough damage!

Make her a sword Griffin Knight and give her a forged Levin Sword, she'll be a monster for like the whole first two thirds of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Harrow posted:

Make her a sword Griffin Knight and give her a forged Levin Sword, she'll be a monster for like the whole first two thirds of the game

i concur!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
or just a forged iron lance in any class

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Okay, chapter 11 on maddening does suck

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Griffin Knight Chloe does a ton of damage because I gave her Lucina and a spear which meant she chain attacked every single time any other character did anything at all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Griffin Knight Chloe does a ton of damage because I gave her Lucina and a spear which meant she chain attacked every single time any other character did anything at all.

I did this with Ivy and Thoron once and it was really fun, just huge thunder lasers from across the map whenever anyone attacked

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Same except Zelkov and Lucina

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Plus hardly anyone doubles in maddening anyways, so one of her biggest flaws isn't an issue.

That dex cap is painful for trying to land thoron on speedy enemies though.

Ya I had it on her just for special cases but definitely one of the best units without any engage needed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Chloe can naturally promote to lance/sword wyvern knight if you want a bulkier flier.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

pegasus knight is just too squishy to be useful, to me

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Chloe is one of the few characters who can naturally hit the 38-40 spd threshold so you want to give her some sources of true damage to offset her noodle arms if you intend to use her past the early game. Erika or 2000sp for Gentility are the easiest options and Momentum does help in the mid game though it potentially costs early Canter and eats a hole through her sp. Merrin is easier to make work due to her bases and I'm pretty sure Rosado makes a better griffin though

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Pegasus Knights aren’t really that squishy unless you’re running them into stuff they shouldn’t be going after on their own.

Flying utility is always a top notch thing

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i gave chloe byleth this run and she's been an A+ all rounder. Spears + Speedy Dodgetanking for most enemies, Goddess Dance on a Flier, and Byleth's weapons really shore up her weaknesses (ie: not strong enough to punch through armored knights? vajra mushti solves that issue handily.)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

RevolverDivider posted:

Pegasus Knights aren’t really that squishy unless you’re running them into stuff they shouldn’t be going after on their own.

Flying utility is always a top notch thing

the enemies you fly them into are usually within range of enemies you don't fly them into

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

inthesto posted:

Okay, chapter 11 on maddening does suck

Take your losses and move on imo. Makes for a more interesting playthrough. I lost citrine on ch11 Maddening.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I made Chloe a wyvern knight and gave her a killer axe with the +crit -weight engrave. She just flies around deleting enemy units. As a wyvern she's reasonably tanky too, even on maddening.

I'm using canter so I can't check, but do crits multiply the momentum bonus?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 1, 2023

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fangz posted:

I made Chloe a wyvern knight and gave her a killer axe with the +crit -weight engrave. She just flies around deleting enemy units. As a wyvern she's reasonably tanky too, even on maddening.

I'm using canter so I can't check, but do crits multiply the momentum bonus?

crits are just triple damage, full stop. doesn't matter where the damage comes from.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think more enemies have tomahawks/javelins/etc on a single map of Engage than exist across every map from every other entry put together. “Just give the bandits some hand axes” is such a simple change but it completely changes how you play. Magic units being squishy actually means something when an armor knight takes off 3/4ths of your HP with a spear throw because you didn’t inherit Alacrity.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

galagazombie posted:

The pro move is to do this with Merrin (or another wolf knight I suppose) then your chain attacks stack poison on everything, too.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Watching too much anime has told me not to trust people with faces like Louis. There is always something much darker behind that smile.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He is absolutely a peeper.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ulio posted:

Watching too much anime has told me not to trust people with faces like Louis. There is always something much darker behind that smile.

Him and Brock have some things in common

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

the enemies you fly them into are usually within range of enemies you don't fly them into

The trick with fliers is that the more of them you use, the less you have to worry about their one weakness. If you have a squad of several fliers, they can just blitz into an area together and kill any archers at 1 range on player phase so they don't have to worry about getting shot down. You can also abuse Lucina's Bonded Shield, which, if used by a flier, has a 100% activation rate for other fliers. It lets you run a murderball of five fliers who are nearly invincible on enemy phase for as long as the Lucina one is engaged.

The other trick is that fliers, especially Griffin Knights, can become so evasive that enemy archers have a hard time hitting them in the first place.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ulio posted:

My favorite trope is the "guy who never opens his eyes suddenly opens his eyes and they're these intense bird-about-to-dive eyes." Because you either know 1)the topic being discussed is much more interesting than it appears or 2) someone's gonna get the rear end-whupping of a lifetime.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Just picked this back up (Metroid Prime Remastered dropped and took priority) and finished Chapter 10 last night. I knew the ring theft was coming because I've been reading the thread, but it was still cool and impactful. It taps into what made, say, Aeris' death work in FFVII, which is that it messes with your actual gameplay mechanics that you just assume are safe. If something happens to a character that "only" affects the story, yeah it's a big deal, but it's not entirely unexpected. When your party is tangibly impacted it really hits you because you keep thinking "Ah no way, they're gonna reset this by the end of the cutscene because the game wouldn't take away my stuff like that", and then the cutscene keeps going and you start the next chapter with your poo poo all gone... that feels so meaningful.

So I only got around to actually playing Chapter 11 this morning, and drat it continues the storytelling-through-gameplay so well. Realizing I didn't have the divine pulse was an "oh poo poo" moment. Then having a bunch of enemy reinforcements show up on both sides, followed immediately by gaining some allies AND rings/divine pulse, was a quick roller coaster of tension. Great job, FE Engage team!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Clearing chapter 11 on maddening took me soany tries, and I had to redo chapter 10 to buy restore staves and make sure Chloe got promoted

Why did I go into chapter 11 without any restore staves in my convoy? Because I'm stupid!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
In hindsight, a lot of bizarre choices in Solm is probably because they expected a lot of losses for Classic players. That's why the deployment limit is so absurdly low in 12 and 13, and they give you multiple cracked out units in Kagetsu/Ivy/Zelkov/Merrin/Panette/Pandreo to replace expected losses. Especially since in maddening, you are not training up a unit from scratch from the early game with the lack of exp.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Every land has exactly two lordlings. Each lordling has exactly two retainers.

It's a very regularly structured aristocracy.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

nah they’re just sparing you the indignity of deploying too many units on back to back maps that really constrict movement where you accidentally clog your army up

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

In hindsight, a lot of bizarre choices in Solm is probably because they expected a lot of losses for Classic players. That's why the deployment limit is so absurdly low in 12 and 13, and they give you multiple cracked out units in Kagetsu/Ivy/Zelkov/Merrin/Panette/Pandreo to replace expected losses. Especially since in maddening, you are not training up a unit from scratch from the early game with the lack of exp.

That doesn't make much sense though as the developers have generally been on the same page as the players in that the moment you lose a unit you reset.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I wonder if they originally wanted to make Chapter 10 and 11 do the back to back completion thing like Conquest did with it's final 2 chapters. But then decided against it because that was the most annoying goddamn thing about the end of that game [other than yet another fight against Takumi]

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tae posted:

Who are those players that are losing units? Definitely not me who ended up with no cavalry unit by chapter 12.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ulio posted:

Same, but for anyone who smiles like this

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the games haven't been designed around ironman except perhaps FE1 and shadow dragon specifically

Ivy's crew is strong to help you through what would otherwise be a difficult portion of the game, and make sure the player has at least a few strong units

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Same, but for anyone who smiles like this

Ya and I would never trust a man who carries a fan around.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

cheetah7071 posted:

the games haven't been designed around ironman except perhaps FE1 and shadow dragon specifically

Ivy's crew is strong to help you through what would otherwise be a difficult portion of the game, and make sure the player has at least a few strong units

Fe6 hands you a pretty steady stream of dudes to the point that you're pretty solid with any losses.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ah, I should have clarified

almost every game in the series is designed to be beatable (on lower difficulties at least) by an unskilled player who makes some bad decisions and has some losses

almost no games in the series are designed around the idea that resetting lessens the experience, or is somehow an unusual way to play

So like, ironmans are possible, because they're forgiving games. But it's kind of a weird way to play the games, not the normal, expected experience, if that makes sense

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

cheetah7071 posted:

ah, I should have clarified

almost every game in the series is designed to be beatable (on lower difficulties at least) by an unskilled player who makes some bad decisions and has some losses

almost no games in the series are designed around the idea that resetting lessens the experience, or is somehow an unusual way to play

So like, ironmans are possible, because they're forgiving games. But it's kind of a weird way to play the games, not the normal, expected experience, if that makes sense

I think I disagree here.

I feel like the massive numbers of replacements you get in games all the way up to Awakening indicate an attitude where death and no resets is still expected.

From Awakening through to 3H your reinforcement pool dries up very quickly (Not counting Rev I guess), because early losses double as losses of that character and if they're a mother or father, losses of their kid as well.

That being said I think 3H is the only point where the characters firmly start tilting to the assumption of life and Engage has sharply walked that back.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ulio posted:

He does open his eyes a couple of times, such as if you pair him with Hector and activate Storm's Eye. Although I think that's a case of the final pose of the activation animation making Louis open his eyes rather him doing it naturally, because he begins the animation with his eyes closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
you know, i have to say, i'm not fond of the whole "have to use alear in relay trials" and "need to spend a ticket for each relay trial"

because while yes, you can get rewards from doing other people's trials, the fact that you can also have another player grab your alear and purposefully run them deep into enemy territory by their lonesome is not great!! seems like an easy way for trolls to gently caress with you. If the loss condition is party wipe/time out, that's a lot harder for one jackass to achieve.