Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

It's a reference to an early 80s TV show called Auf Wiedersehen Pet about a bunch of northern English working class blokes moving to Germany for work after Thatcher shut down all industry.

Nobody under the age of 50 should get that reference, but I guess the over-50s are Labour's key demographic now that they've killed off the youth vote they had.

I only know of the show because I watched a Youtuber review the officially licensed videogame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Absolutely unthinkable that the British arent superior to neighboring countries

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
it's not even neighbouring, if it was we might let poles be white

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I only know of the show because I watched a Youtuber review the officially licensed videogame.

Link please

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the deeper joke is that the polish are renowned for their workmanship and relative cheapness, a bunch of brits going over there and charging €1500 for a bit of bathroom siliconing and blank stares if you ask them to tidy up / tiny extra jobs just isn’t going to happen

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

notaspy posted:

Link please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf8bWEflOow

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

it's not even neighbouring, if it was we might let poles be white

*Looks at Ireland and Wales.* I mean, might is the operative word there.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol ok so UK followed the US lead and imposed sanctions on xinjiang which grows 35% of the world's tomatoes and now there's such a shortage that they're being rationed at supermarkets?!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I'm imagining la tomatina in Buñol but with turnips

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Microplastics posted:

Kerr Startler :hitler:

Der Starmer

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

crepeface posted:

lol ok so UK followed the US lead and imposed sanctions on xinjiang which grows 35% of the world's tomatoes and now there's such a shortage that they're being rationed at supermarkets?!

I don't think we ever got many of our tomatoes from Xinjiang, they were mostly from Spain. the official line is that this is all due to cold weather affecting the tomato crop and normal service adequate food will resume shortly, and absolutely nothing to do with Brexit

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

When I look out the window at night I see the massive glow from vast swathes of greenhouses, growing tomatoes and peppers and other vegetables, and the ferry to Harwich is right next to it. The channel is only like 100 miles wide there. It might as well be a thousand.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

This was my first guess!

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrwSDX95wCs

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Gato posted:

I don't think we ever got many of our tomatoes from Xinjiang, they were mostly from Spain. the official line is that this is all due to cold weather affecting the tomato crop and normal service adequate food will resume shortly, and absolutely nothing to do with Brexit

makes sense but... if you're having a shortage you could buy them from xinjiang

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It's a reference to an early 80s TV show called Auf Wiedersehen Pet about a bunch of northern English working class blokes moving to Germany for work after Thatcher shut down all industry.

Nobody under the age of 50 should get that reference, but I guess the over-50s are Labour's key demographic now that they've killed off the youth vote they had..

i have heard of it and i am 30 but thats mostly from the dire straits song

also this whole leaking all of matt hancocks texts thing seems quite promising, might turn the tories into a circular firing squad yet again and usher in a glorious era of keith. seems like they will drip feed the whole cabinet saying mask off things for the next couple of weeks

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zRCGB9-H3A

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Nobody under the age of 50 should get that reference, but I guess the over-50s are Labour's key demographic now that they've killed off the youth vote they had.

auf wiedersehen, pet was great.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Series one of auf wiedersehen pet was one of about 5 things my dad successfully taped off the telly (that, guns of navarone, you only live twice, simpsons series 3, the jolly boys outing) so I have watched it approx 800 times. It's decent

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It must have been repeated in the '90s because I definitely saw it & would've been -1 years old when the show originally aired.

An extremely working class show is my memory of it. Kieth must've hated it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-64820618

quote:

Aboriginal spears taken by British explorer Captain James Cook and his landing party when they first arrived in Australia in 1770 will be returned to the local Sydney clan.

The spears were taken when indigenous people retreated into the bush after a violent encounter with the British landing party in which muskets were fired

Simply no way to know which party was firing muskets or at what.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

the sex ghost posted:

Series one of auf wiedersehen pet was one of about 5 things my dad successfully taped off the telly (that, guns of navarone, you only live twice, simpsons series 3, the jolly boys outing) so I have watched it approx 800 times. It's decent

My dad loved it, as he went off to the US to do the same as there was no jobs at the time.
He also did lovely construction work as the show, treated like poo poo, but the pay was worth it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mossyfisk posted:

lol passive cop talk for colonialism

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

mossyfisk posted:

Good to know that passive cop voice extends to literally colonising parties

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Even Bing Chat knows what's up:

A play of what happened when cook took aboriginal spears as reported on BBC news posted:

The scene is a beach on Botany Bay, where Cook's ship Endeavour is anchored. A group of Gweagal people are watching from a distance as Cook and his men approach their camp. They are armed with wooden shields and long spears.

Cook: Greetings, natives! We come in peace and friendship. We wish to trade with you and learn about your land.

Gweagal leader: Who are you? Where do you come from? What do you want?

Cook: We are Englishmen, from a great island far away. We want nothing but water and wood for our ship, and some of your curious weapons and ornaments for our curiosity.

Gweagal leader: You cannot take our water and wood without our permission. And you cannot have our weapons and ornaments. They are sacred to us. They belong to our ancestors and spirits.

Cook: Nonsense! Water and wood are free for all to use. And your weapons and ornaments are nothing but sticks and shells. We will give you beads and nails in exchange. They are much more valuable.

Gweagal leader: No! You insult us with your words and your offers. Go away! Leave us alone!

Cook: Very well then. If you will not trade with us willingly, we will take what we want by force.

Gweagal leader: You dare to threaten us? You will regret it!

The Gweagal people raise their spears and shields, ready to defend themselves. Cook orders his men to fire their muskets at them, hoping to scare them away. The sound of gunfire echoes across the bay.

Some of the Gweagal people fall wounded or dead on the sand. The others retreat into the bush, leaving behind their camp and belongings. Cook and his men rush into the camp, looking for anything of interest.

Cook: Look at these spears! They are long and sharp, made of hard wood with stone tips. They must be very effective in hunting or war.

Man 1: And these shields! They are light but sturdy, decorated with intricate patterns of paint or feathers.

Man 2: And these ornaments! They are made of shells or bones or teeth, strung together with string or hair.

Cook: Let us take some of these things back to our ship as trophies. They will show our king and country what kind of people live here.

Man 1: Aye, sir!

Man 2: Aye, sir!

They gather as many spears, shields, ornaments as they can carry, leaving behind a trail of bloodshed and destruction.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Cook getting owned on Hawaii is still remembered quite fondly by the locals there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i might have a job that makes me employable in a nicer country in a couple of years

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
You'd think maybe the "Journalist of the Year" might be asking if this "career break" might have had some ulterior motives:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1631319308658700289?s=20

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Cook getting owned on Hawaii is still remembered quite fondly by the locals there.

Good for them!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

i might have a job that makes me employable in a nicer country in a couple of years

Coward

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jose posted:

do not come

do not come

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

You'd think maybe the "Journalist of the Year" might be asking if this "career break" might have had some ulterior motives:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1631319308658700289?s=20

bit like saying the manchester bomber had a gap year to libya

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Career break lol.

Just taking some time off from my high profile job in the British civil service to go run a pub on the Irish border at the height of the troubles. No I'm not a spy why would you even suggest that.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I love to have favourite stories about all the top civil servants

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s such a stupid cover story that the only reason i can imagine they did that was just signpost how much of an undercover agent she was

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Keef appointing a burnt MI:6 operative as his chief of staff is oddly fitting tbh.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I mean a lot of SAS guys are taking a break in Eastern Europe at the moment, it happens.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Ardennes posted:

I mean a lot of SAS guys are taking a break in Eastern Europe at the moment, it happens.

Hope they get their citizenship removed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

Hope they get their citizenship removed
hope the other thing happens