Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

SirPablo posted:

I can't believe a show would spend an entire episode fleshing out an aspect of one of the main characters' background.

I agree with your point, but I think 3 (almost entirely) bottle/flashback episodes in the first 7 doesn't do this show any favors in a week-to-week live watch scenario.

Other shows have done the same thing, but to pick one that did it masterfully: LOST. They balanced moving the plot forward and giving backstory/flashback information better than I've seen almost any other show do it, and it always felt like you were, at the same time, moving forward to whatever the end goal of the season or arc was.

This show has an extremely straightforward Point A to Point B goal, so when it does (essentially) full stops in the story progress it doesn't feel as seamless or fluid to me as if they had done it as A plot / B plot in the same episode.

Not a huge deal overall, I was just trying to figure out what felt "off" about the pacing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

covidstomper58 posted:

Personally, I thought this episode was garbage.

It just wasn't as good as the others, which is to be expected in a multi-episode season that typically has many ups and downs. I'd give it a B-/C+ at worst.

For me the issue is that I knew exactly where everything was going to go considering how strongly the episode's plot was telegraphed (even having never played the game) - Ellie/Riley crush, Ellie infection story, Riley dies, etc. The retro bits were cool, and seeing MK2 put a huge smile on my face (back/forward/down/forward low punch I loving HELL YEAH STILL REMEMBER THAT FATALITY), but I thought this could have been a series of shorter flashbacks while the story advanced from the previous episode as opposed to the only advancement being that Joel got stitched up (literally) while we went down memory lane with Ellie.

Big lol out of them not getting the computer pun, though - "What's a screenshot?"

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
So are people not aware that "covidstomper" is doing a bit?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

I remember some guy with a wizard name used to do it after game of thrones episodes. Wonder if it's the same guy.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

XboxPants posted:

I did like the queer narrative here. Not that this was intentional, but it was easy to relate it to a modern experience. On the one hand, Ellie has the option to conform to a rigid society where her identity will be repressed and her personal needs dismissed, but she'd get safety and social privilege and economic stability. Or, she can be gay and find love and beauty and wonder and freedom, but with no social standing, no stability, constant danger with no safety net, and not only would she not be supported by society, she'd have to constantly look over her shoulder for violent fascists even if all she's doing is walking around outside past curfew.

Again, I'm not saying this is the "true meaning" of the episode or anything, but it was something I related to.

Yes, but the final answer they settled on before the attack happened was "be gay and stay here with me." We haven't seen or heard of FEDRA trying to repress people's sexuality in the QZ.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Mr. Nemo posted:

No one cares.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Wiltsghost posted:

I remember some guy with a wizard name used to do it after game of thrones episodes. Wonder if it's the same guy.

I also don't remember the name of that person, but it's the same shtick here. GG, it gets some responses.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

IT BURNS posted:

No one cares.
Yeah, while I haven't followed all of this particular discussion, this is where I land on "I'm just doing a bit" or trolling.

While intention matters when you, say, step on somebody's foot, for instance, being a jackass ironically is just being a jackass.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I mean, I've legitimately enjoyed the show, but I'm still laughing every time I see covidstomper quoted. Maybe I'm just old and humor works differently now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, I'm barely older than your son yet have babies of my own, and I also think The Wire is wildly overrated. It's not because my baby brain thinks it's too slow, it's just before my time. Mayor Littlefinger and his Amazing Accents is the main thing I remember.

It's literally explaining everything wrong with the US right now in a way that even the most right of right wing people would be forced to engage with if they watched it.

People downed Season 5, including myself and then the Trump media era happened, and, well. Nothing comes even close to comparing to it.

Edit: Twilight Zone is the only thing that comes close, and that got shaky, especially at the end.

Darko fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 1, 2023

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

404notfound posted:

I got unreasonably concerned about them dancing on a glass counter. I knew it wasn't going to happen, but I kept imagining the glass suddenly shattering and slicing the hell out of their ankles

Same, though I thought it was going to happen. They really were queueing up the things that could go bad, enough that I honestly had no idea what was going to go wrong. I wasn't even sure this would be when Ellie got bit.

See Also: hobo corpse whiskey, fuuuuuuuuck that

fullroundaction posted:

I agree with your point, but I think 3 (almost entirely) bottle/flashback episodes in the first 7 doesn't do this show any favors in a week-to-week live watch scenario.

Other shows have done the same thing, but to pick one that did it masterfully: LOST. They balanced moving the plot forward and giving backstory/flashback information better than I've seen almost any other show do it, and it always felt like you were, at the same time, moving forward to whatever the end goal of the season or arc was.

This show has an extremely straightforward Point A to Point B goal, so when it does (essentially) full stops in the story progress it doesn't feel as seamless or fluid to me as if they had done it as A plot / B plot in the same episode.

Not a huge deal overall, I was just trying to figure out what felt "off" about the pacing to me.

I can totally see being annoyed by zero progress after waiting a week, and I think why it's not bothering me personally is the main plot is pretty thin by itself so far. If the meat of the show is in the B-plots, I appreciate it focusing on each story instead of jumping around. On the other end of the spectrum some shows flit constantly between like 4 or 5 B-plots, dragging them all out a for an entire season, and that's pretty unsatisfying unless they actually come together in an interesting way.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 1, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Riley’s relationship with Ellie violates the “half age plus seven” rule.

Problematic.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Riley’s relationship with Ellie violates the “half age plus seven” rule.

Problematic.

does it? i thought riley was 17 and ellie was 14

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

half of seventeen plus seven is fifteen

i don't actually care tho

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

if you want to be pedantic, riley was still 16.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

A kiss is not a contract, but it's very nice.

And technically Ellie was the one who initiated it, so she was the graverobber.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Right they should both be grounded and learn to court each other appropriately with a chaperone. This would have also saved Riley's life if done sooner.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The QZ Debutante Ball is the event of the season, everyone wears their finest fatigues.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
So FEDRA managed to round up all the Kansas City infected into a single basement in the suburbs?

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

PyPy posted:

So FEDRA managed to round up all the Kansas City infected into a single basement in the suburbs?

Correct, also,

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can believe the kansas government would create conditions for massive sinkholes in their cities that FEDRA could later fill with mushfellows

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

covidstomper58 posted:

Correct, also,

Is this loss?

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

No, it's healing.jpg

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PyPy posted:

No. They filtered them down into the tunnels that ran below the city and then locked the tunnels down, thus SOLVING THE PROBLEM FOREVER. It was a sign of the issues with KC FEDRA, they basically treated it as out of sight, out of mind, and it seems like that was their policy for law enforcement/peace-keeping with the human population as well: they disappeared people, jammed them into cells and used collaborators to help keep them informed and maintain a very tense peace that was constantly simmering.

Eventually it boiled over with the bloody revolution, but while FEDRA themselves were wiped out, the underlying infected problem they'd just ignored was still present, trying to claw its way back to the delicious humans on the surface. We see where the mass of infected has started getting close to the surface in that scene where Lynskey's character is shown the floor moving around as they try to break free up where all the noise has been happening.

They eventually follow the noise of the convoy going after Sam, Joel, Ellie etc and finally found a place where the ground was thin enough they could break through and finally go after the humans. The infected problem was never dealt with, just swept under the carpet, and eventually it had to come to light again.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 1, 2023

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, thats why a few weeks ago I was talking about how one of the big knocks on fedra is compared to Romero zombies, this type can be worked around and going on 20 years after the event its their own failure that more areas are not safe and QZs are so dilapidated. The vast majority of the initial infected are dead, they have detectors that work in an instant, and 20 years of knowledge on how to kill them. There just are not that many new infected being created compared to the number that could be killed off by determined and organized people.

Why would Fedra want to completely eliminate the threat that helps keep the populace pinned under their jackboots?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Why would Fedra want to completely eliminate the threat that helps keep the populace pinned under their jackboots?

They've already got the Fireflies, which are far more containable and useful. The zombies, as they currently stand, seem to be a far great existential threat and could probably do with a threat level downgrade.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Kansas City seems like a real shithole.

It seems pretty bad in the show, too. :cool:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Some insights into why the arcade scene was the way it was:

quote:

We had some pinball machines and arcade games not make the cut because they were too expensive to license, or the IP owner wasn't licensing that particular game for that use at that particular time. We had a Ms Pac-Man that wouldnt clear because they were not allowing a license at that time. Golden Axe was axed, no BurgerTime, NBA Jam, or TMNT either. WWF Pinball, Evel Knievel, Comet. New titles from the 90s were all mostly too expensive to license or use, let alone trying to find some of them as most conversion games were all restored to original around here. Also forget about doing anything with Nintendo. Some licenses only allowed for showing the game in the deep background, or couldn't feature game play, but only attract modes (Street Fighter II for example). Its a complicated world, and you only have so much time and money to get it all done.

From https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/last-of-us-arcade-scene.518996/page-3#post-4642458

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

TheBlackVegetable posted:

QZs are still actually falling to the infected and the more they fail the more the fireflies gain members

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wasn't that Mortal Kombat rated M for Mature? and they're both teenagers aka not mature... I know hollywood is messed up but really, both actress' parents signed off to let their kids play that??

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Khanstant posted:

Wasn't that Mortal Kombat rated M for Mature? and they're both teenagers aka not mature... I know hollywood is messed up but really, both actress' parents signed off to let their kids play that??

Obviously they green screened them in while stunt performers actually played the game. That's just SOP.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also it was actually two Killer Instinct cabinets taped together, because a MK2 cabinet doesn't look like a MK2 cabinet on film.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Khanstant posted:

Phylodox posted:

Obviously they green screened them in while stunt performers actually played the game. That's just SOP.

It is currently rated M since it was ported and re-released numerous times but IIRC the home ports of MKII were the first MK games to have an ESRB rating. The arcade version came out in 1993 and so missed the ESRB being a thing by about a year, though IIRC I don't think any of the arcade games of the 90s received an ESRB rating, just the home ports.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Phylodox posted:

They actually did, kinda. Here's my post from the spoiler thread copy/pasted here. There's no spoilers in the quoted post BUT THERE MIGHT BE SPOILERS IN THE LINKED OFF-SITE THREAD SO BEWARE AND/OR DON'T CLICK ON IT.

(tldr the MK fight as it happened on screen was choreographed and prerecorded, split into clips that some dude played depending on what the actors were doing, all the while another dude was working with the girls to make sure they get their hand movements correct for the camera)

quote:

If you wanna nerd out about the arcade scene apparently there’s some discussion here including from some people involved with the scene.

Like here’s a post with some information on how much work it took to put arcade games in a tv show

quote:

So ChanceKJ and I were brought in by HBO to work on this arcade for the show. Theres lots to unpack, so I'll be brief for now until i have some more time to explain some more stuff.

Inside the Mortal Kombat II cabinet was actually a 46 inch OLED panel that we rotated 90 degrees. The gameplay footage was all played and captured ahead of time by myself while Chance and I worked through the script, making sure we got all the moves down that they wanted to show (fatalities included). I treated the footage with scanlines, some curvature, and rounded the corners off so it looked a little more like a real CRT. We programmed an interface we could control remotely on the day that would instantly play a clip from the game on demand and basically played it back in real time with the actors as they shot the scene. So when you see them drop one coin in, thats an individual clip, 2nd coin, another clip, character selection, yet another clip and so on.

Sync'ing a camera to CRT displays can be done, but you really can only guarantee it'll sync with a few at a time. Some games stray slightly or drift, so even if you get the camera to sync, you'll lose the CRT and start to get some bad flicker at some point. For Cinematographers, there is a rule of 180 degree shutter. So if you're shooting at 24fps, 180 degree shutter angle will put you at 1/48 shutter speed. This is what gives you the cinematic look and feel and blur that we're all used to. You can change shutter angle slightly but it will impact the feeling of the movement of the shot. Obviously CRT refresh rate doesn't divide into 24/48 very well, so thats why you get the flicker.

While we got Mortal Kombat to MOSTLY look like a CRT on camera, it was an expensive process (time and money) and we did do it for a few other games in the arcade, but time was not on our side to make it happen for every game. Some games we killed the monitor completely (like the Asteroids deluxe), the thought was that after sitting for a bunch of years, a good chunk of the games are not going to quite work right. We were ready to kill Black Widow, but the director liked the look of it, so it was kept.

Some games we programmed to have a glitch or sync issue in. We had a few games legit poo poo the bed. There is a shot early on in the arcade scene where you can see a Buck Hunter game with a failed hard drive in the background and the screen is flickering. Totally plausible and we just ran with it!

More

quote:

As Josh had mentioned before, one of the most amazing things was how the MK2 played out:

The biggest challenge production was having was getting instant, repeatable, scripted gameplay moments in front of the girls. Due to the nature of how things are actually filmed, you need to be able to repeat things multiple times, sometimes hundreds of times in a filming day. So it’s not conceivable with how random arcade gameplay is to just teach the girls how to play Mortal Kombat.

HBO gave us pretty much Carte blanch to make it as real as we could. Josh and I spent two days over the weekend choreographing the fight scenes (based on the script beats), recording them in MAME, and then editing the footage with treatments to make it look as realistic as we could to an actual CRT. We were very passionate about making sure that it looked the part, because it was important.

Early in this whole journey I had shown the producers what a regular LCD would look like inside the cab and we all agreed that it was just simply not good enough. I chose an OLED to get the deep blacks, and we lucked out that the 48 inch Sony just barely fit inside the cabinet sideways. I’m not gonna lie, installation was a dicey moment. Josh and I then proceeded to treat the footage in a back-and-forth process with him working at home in his desk, and me on site until we got the look as best we could.

Once all the footage was edited down and looked as realistic as we could get away with, Josh had to modify the footage to remove the in game fight counter so that it didn’t mess up continuity. I then took all the video files and trimmed them down so that I could launch them remotely as needed depending on what the girls were doing. For example I had a separate 15 minute loop that was just the attract mode, I had a separate file that I played instantly when one of the girls dropped a coin into the slot, a separate one for the character select, and multiple ones for the fight sequences, etc.

On the day we filmed it I’m actually lying on my stomach behind the ticket counter a few feet away with a 50 foot HDMI cable connecting the OLED to a MacBook Air running VLC playing those clips in real time as the girls interact with the game.

The entire time this was happening Josh was sitting in a tall chair with the director and script supervisor consulting on the hand movements of the girls to match the gameplay.

We’re stupidly proud of this. All of it. We knew that anything less wouldn’t cut it and we’re nothing shy of grateful that HBO and the rest of production encouraged us to go to these lengths.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That is a truly impressive level of effort to make it look right, and it paid off.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:drat:, now that's dedication to your craft.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
That’s super cool, I love hearing about behind the scenes stuff like that when people obviously really care about their craft

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, that linked thread had some good posts in it. I'm just kinda floored that licensing Ms. Pac Man, not bothering with Nintendo etc.. that almost all the machines they wanted were too much $$ or too much hassle.. If you hosed up your licensing so bad that a big budget AAA HBO series can't get you, you done hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can think of lots of times in media where people are playing a game with something glaring wrong, like wrong controller, not plugged in, spamming buttons that don't make sense for the game or action shown, etc, but never thought about how much work it would be to actually get good shots of gameplay, let alone meaningfully sync it up with actors and in editing.

All the examples I can think of its funny to notice the mistakes but ultimately they are irrelevant to the story, so can be wrong like a hundred other little things that don't matter either.

Happy to read the work gone into getting these shots and effort made to make them relevant to the script.