Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BastardySkull posted:

We also have a whole other civilisation who only survived the Collapse because they got sucked into a weird singularity created where the Light and Darkness met.

I really liked the Darkness a lot more when it wasn't just the Black Fleet and was clearly some kind of cosmic force, though I guess we don't know for sure that still isn't the case and won't until the next expansion now.

The opening cutscene of this expansion is Zavala telling you, outright, "we thought the Darkness itself was our foe. It turns out the enemy is just This Guy, him - that dude specifically, he is the enemy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

As a well main (because I like grenades) I have the grenade button set to charged melee. Of course, Bungie decided that the melee at the end of a Strand grapple needed to be uncharged, so now I either have to change buttons or waste my melee before I try to grapple kill enemies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Being a very basic player who never separated powered and unpowered melee pays off again

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
I really expected Byf to post a bunch of cope like all the smooth-brained PC posters are doing, but now I’m tipping my cap to a real one

Going to be interesting to see what Myelin and ‘Cross have to say

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

I think if the guy who does all the lore videos is saying “what the gently caress, this is ridiculous and I can’t even understand it” about the story and plot…that’s a huge problem lol

Yeah. This is a major bummer. I'm super into the lore heavy elements of this game and i think i dont actually have to play the game anymore to get my fill of any of that. But tbh I guess it's been that way for a while.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I mean, we've known what the darkness is since the books of sorrows. It literally explains itself to Oryx. Then we have unveiling. But maybe that was a little too complicated for people so now we have big eyed dude who just wants to destroy everything because he's tired? I don't doubt for a second we'll get another sad super villain backstory about him a la Rhulk.

I hope when the final shape year is over, maybe Battuta can explain here what was his original idea about this whole mess, I'd love to know

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I'm writing a series pilot and having a blast and actually have no desire to play vid gams right now. The last few pages are making me feel good about my recent life decisions.

Sucks I can't get that preorder refunded though.

Like, I was wondering how they were going to handle a patrol zone being a populated city and uh, I guess they didn't lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did two of the Battleground today and I swear the average person who plays this game must have to mentally prepare themselves to tie their shoes in the morning.

The first run one of the people was lagging like crazy and the boss took way longer because they would run and grab the drop from the acolytes and then just hold trhe relic and walk around seemingly baffled at what to do with it, before after 10-15 seconds tossing it at a random mook. Thankfully the other person was not braindead so we basically 2 manned it but still. No clue if they were a troll or a little kid or what..

Then the second one I just had to bail because it took us until 22 mins to beat the freakin servitor. I would hesitate to call either of my teammates sentient in this run tbh. Neither one of them would attack the boss, and would instead just run around the arena mopping up adds. And would then stand and shoot at the orbs from the outside, obviously doing nothing. Neither of them ever seemed to connect the dots that you have to go inside the bubble to do anything for the entire fight. It was a painful revolving door of deaths since they were also very bad at killing anything and so the adds kept piling up while I tried to actually do the objective and beat the boss. I gave the actual boss one try but we didn't even get one bar of health down before tweedle dee and tweedle dumb died.

This is entirely my fault for throwing myself into matchmaking but holy hell.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Roman posted:

I'm writing a series pilot and having a blast and actually have no desire to play vid gams right now. The last few pages are making me feel good about my recent life decisions.

Sucks I can't get that preorder refunded though.

Like, I was wondering how they were going to handle a patrol zone being a populated city and uh, I guess they didn't lol

It's just a bad campaign/patrol zone. Neomuna and the Cloud Striders are irrelevant to the rest of Season 20, Year 6, and Destiny 2

The seasonal stuff is good if you like the typical seasonal offerings!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Perhaps... Perhaps I was too harsh on the dialogue in mass effect Andromeda.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

elpaganoescapa posted:

I mean, we've known what the darkness is since the books of sorrows. It literally explains itself to Oryx. Then we have unveiling. But maybe that was a little too complicated for people so now we have big eyed dude who just wants to destroy everything because he's tired? I don't doubt for a second we'll get another sad super villain backstory about him a la Rhulk.

I hope when the final shape year is over, maybe Battuta can explain here what was his original idea about this whole mess, I'd love to know

I don't think Unveiling states that the Winnower is the Darkness. I think both light and dark are the Gardener's extra rule.

The winnower pretty clearly marks it's domain:

quote:

The gardener kneeled to flick a patch of sod with their trowel. It struck an open flower, causing it to shut. Although I was the closer of flowers and that was my sole purpose, I felt no fear or jealousy.

Darkness isn't death. It's the aphysical. Stasis is order and control, Strand is the collective will and desire. The 3rd darkness element probably wont be "Death". In fact, every part of Darkness involves life in some capacity.

quote:

They chewed at their cracked lip, which existed only because this is an allegory. "I'm going to do something about it," they said. "We need a new rule."

I looked up in shock. I said, What? What do you mean?

"A special new rule. Something to…" The gardener threw up their hands in exasperation. "I don't know. To reward those who make space for new complexity. A power that helps those who make strength from heterodoxy, and who steer the game away from gridlock. Something to ensure there's always someone building something new. It'll have to be separate from the rest of the rules, running in parallel, so it can't be compromised. And we'll have to be very careful, so it doesn't disrupt the whole game…"

All you will do, I said, with rising panic|fury, is delay the dominant pattern that will overrun the others. It is inevitable. One final shape.

"No, it'll be different. Everything will be different, everywhere you look."

The Gardener created a rule that allowed effect to happen without cause, and through that rule the Traveler was birthed. Darkness powers work toward this end in their natural state. The Darkness elements allow for life to flourish and exert influence on the world, but just as the light elements both are helpful and detrimental, so are the darkness elements.

The paracausal power of Light and Dark are the extra rule.

quote:

And thus we two became parts of the game, and the laws of the game became nomic and open to change by our influence. And I had only one purpose and one principle in the game. And I could do nothing but continue to enact that purpose, because it was all that I was and ever would be.

I looked at the gardener.

I looked at my hands.

I discovered the first knife.

Darkness isn't the knife. It doesn't attack and it's not always a weapon. It's not hunting the Traveler, something else is. That something is the knife (is it the witness? maybe the seed that the witness's gestalt conscious formed around?). That's what the Winnower created, and that is not a neutral paracausal force.

So, yeah, I suspect that the Winnower has nothing to do with the Darkness as a force. That's all the Gardener's doing.

The other strong piece of evidence here is the p53 lorebook and the question at the end (https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/p53)

quote:

Is p53 an agent of the Darkness, or the Light?

I think this is the most fundamental question of the whole story of this game. And I think the answer is both and neither. It's both, because both the Darkness and Light together allow for the complexity of life, and together the two powers create that growth, and neither because it's neither a fundamental manifestation of the physical or aphysical. It's an agent of the Gardener and it's extra rule.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
The point of them stressing darkness is neutral and that we thought it was our enemy but its actually the witness otherwise known as the voice in the dark...

Is that every time we thought the darkness was talking, it was actually the witness. This includes unveiling and books of sorrow

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's just a bad campaign/patrol zone. Neomuna and the Cloud Striders are irrelevant to the rest of Season 20, Year 6, and Destiny 2

The seasonal stuff is good if you like the typical seasonal offerings!

I mean I wouldn’t be nearly as upset by this expansion if they didn’t also completely tank build crafting and overall player strength so I could just go “man that new content sucks good thing I can just ignore it”

I've given up on even finishing the campaign, at this point I'm just waiting for the TWAB tomorrow with my arms crossed and my foot tapping muttering "you got a loooooooot of 'splaining to do, Bungie"

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 2, 2023

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
At first I thought charging 2000 silver for the second character campaign skip was highway robbery….now I realize it’s the deal of the century!!!

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I'm not at the point of giving up on the campaign, but I am wondering whether I should bother finishing it on legendary since Big Calus is kicking my rear end and I'm not sure how to beat him. I've got a Warlock but only a tiny handful of exotic armors (Starfire Protocol probably being the best one), and going Strand feels like a trap even with all the rear end in a top hat knockback enemies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Starting to think it was a mistake to give everyone a free +15% damage for 3 months and then remove it right as they introduce a bunch of dodgy balance changes and intentionally increase the difficulty

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

Dang is there really only one Neomuna/expansion strike?

You must wait for the 2nd one! World's first raid I think?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
After playing around with it for a bit, I hate the strand subclass for hunter. I want grenades, not a grappling hook gimmick. Hoping they don't force us to use it in future content.
I also finished the campaign, and it sucks. Couldn't give less of a poo poo about the Neptunians, and they did nothing to explain the veil or why I should care. Beyond that, what's up with their city? Outside of the cloud surfers, they're all in a digital world. Why do they care about a city with buildings, hydroponics, and arcades? If they're just digital people wandering around this city, why did they digitize themselves to begin with? Did I miss something, or is the writing really that weak?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Whirling posted:

I'm not at the point of giving up on the campaign, but I am wondering whether I should bother finishing it on legendary since Big Calus is kicking my rear end and I'm not sure how to beat him. I've got a Warlock but only a tiny handful of exotic armors (Starfire Protocol probably being the best one), and going Strand feels like a trap even with all the rear end in a top hat knockback enemies.

Strand straight up does extra damage on this whole boss fight, because ofc bungo would do that so you have to interact with it. It's a bullshit thing, but it's worth it just to move on past the poo poo campaign. The assholes didn't even put in pups cups or anything, just terrible all around. Lol at phase 2 where all he does is run around at you to force the grapple poo poo (which is finicky at best) that will absolutely oopsie you under a ledge and you'll fall to your death or you'll get booped off by the 420 cabal that all can boop long range now

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

a few days ago most people itt were super excited about them "bringing the challenge back"

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Need Osiris to watch who he's raising his voice to, the gently caress he thinks this is?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
There are more grenades that will unlock in the future. Grapple also isn't hunter exclusive. Also you are using the enhanced melee at the end right?

They digitized in response to the pyramids so they wouldn't be bored in bunkers or have civilian in warzone

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

haveblue posted:

Starting to think it was a mistake to give everyone a free +15% damage for 3 months and then remove it right as they introduce a bunch of dodgy balance changes and intentionally increase the difficulty

But aren't you engaged? Look, now you can say: oh wow, look at me, I played a game that is now simultaneously dumbed down for builds but also harder because only the AI is allowed to be powerful now.

All of these ~balance~ changes were terrible and the rewards don't match the effort at all. I think I'm just angry with myself for thinking surely this time they'll do it right.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You must wait for the 2nd one! World's first raid I think?
I realized after posting that was a possibility - was initially assuming we'd just get something like Preservation again. Okay, that might be cool.

Something that seems like an odd decision: The Partition activity on Neomuna was pretty neat, but feels almost a shame it's a locked out once a week, particularly considering there's a triumph to solo one.

Meanwhile Terminal Overload is pretty stock-standard public activity and Bungie wants you to do 10 million to farm certain guns (but also collect keys before you farm)

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Zokari posted:

a few days ago most people itt were super excited about them "bringing the challenge back"

Ew

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Also lol at this farm keys to open chests to turn the hamster wheel.

Feels like a drat mobile game

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is it worth playing through the legendary campaign for the rewards?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is it worth playing through the legendary campaign for the rewards?

The only tangible reward is getting boosted to 1770, if you aren’t a masochist in it for the challenge it’s a bit much

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

1770, a choice of 1/2 new exotic armors for your class (had at least 60+ stats this time) and 200 of the currency for buying strand stuff.

I'm super glad I did legend with my buddy, but it sounds like a tough solo. Definitely not gonna bother doing legend on my alts.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

PathAsc posted:

Also lol at this farm keys to open chests to turn the hamster wheel.

Feels like a drat mobile game

"BUNGIE GIVE SKELETON KEYS" the people slam. Demanding their mobile game mechanics.

I hate it too.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Mazerunner posted:

There are more grenades that will unlock in the future. Grapple also isn't hunter exclusive. Also you are using the enhanced melee at the end right?

They digitized in response to the pyramids so they wouldn't be bored in bunkers or have civilian in warzone

I know it's not hunter exclusive, it still feels gimmicky AF.

Don't understand what being a digital person accomplishes WRT the pyramids. They have all the same problems that every planet we've been on does. The still need food. They're still under siege. It actually seems worse, because they can't defend themselves (outside of some marginally effective tall people) now that their planet is under attack.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

its all nice on rice posted:

Don't understand what being a digital person accomplishes WRT the pyramids. They have all the same problems that every planet we've been on does. The still need food. They're still under siege. It actually seems worse, because they can't defend themselves (outside of some marginally effective tall people) now that their planet is under attack.

It's T for Teen and they can't depict humans being gunned down

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Giving up the grapple for more threadlings is pretty good on warlock I'm finding

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Oxyclean posted:

1770, a choice of 1/2 new exotic armors for your class (had at least 60+ stats this time) and 200 of the currency for buying strand stuff.

I'm super glad I did legend with my buddy, but it sounds like a tough solo. Definitely not gonna bother doing legend on my alts.

I did about 90% of the solo legend campaign as arc hunter and 10% as strand hunter. I had actually prepped an entire void loadout in expectation that eventually I wouldn't be able to just yeehaw my way through the campaign on Arc going max offense and zero defense, but that's almost precisely what happened. As is always the case in Destiny, the best crowd control is overwhelming offensive force and big groups of enemies aren't a threat if they're all jolted into oblivion. I used Strand when they forced me to and for the very last encounter in the game for the better mobility.

All that said, I did have some advantages that wouldn't apply to everyone; a godcraft Forbearance being the very biggest one, which easily handled the high enemy density in nearly every mission. I had done armor prep through a lot of caiatl farming pre-LF, so I was going in with well rolled artifice gear to get me 100/100 resil and recovery, which definitely let me continue some attempts that would have otherwise got me killed. Notably I didn't have any of this stuff at Witch Queen launch and Legend WQ definitely felt much harder for me at the time.

There were definitely a few standout encounters - both encounters that included the Radial Mast took multiple attempts, Headlong's final vex boss in the blender room took a couple tries and Calus took six - but nothing felt impossible or overly unfair to me. Even the hardest encounters boiled down to figuring out routes to take, enemy groups to kill first, how to handle Tormentor arenas, stuff like that.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Zokari posted:

I don't mind more challenge, I mind garbage mechanics and bullshit deaths. Doing the sparrow run at the end of Downfall and died 4 times in a row to an enemy- one of them just a psion!- jumping down on me from a neighboring ledge, just instagibbed.

Also got killed by environment physics my first time in Neomuna. Jumped down the well right at the first spawn point thinking it might have a slowing mechanism, nope it shot me straight up, okay no biggie. Then I lost 99% of my health because there's an invisible ceiling a few meters above Nimbus that I was launched into, and and died when I ping-ponged back to the platform right next to Nimbus.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Mazerunner posted:

Once you're done with the campaign, you can buy the other grenades for 50 strand essence a pop at the Pouka pool.

Legend campaign isn't that bad, but once you hit Calus do yourself a favor and group up with two other people from D2LFG or OverChill or something. I tried several times with different builds on my Hunter, and couldn't crack that particular nut. Attrition during the first phase, or getting repeat dived in the second phase, with each dive doing 80%+ damage, even with 100 res/conc/melee resists. With three people, despite the additional health pool, Calus was confused the whole fight as to who to shoot, and once we hit phase 2 he was, again, lost, switching targets at random and failing to swing at us even once. It can't be overstated how nice it is to not have to do 20+LL worth of grinding right out of the gate to hit hard cap.

Even with the additional infusion materials during the campaign, I kept hitting moments where I felt I needed to swap gear around to run something that would be more effective (shoutouts to bringing a smg/wave frame/parasite into the final boss room and finding that 50% of the floors let grenades/waves pass through them, and tormentors ignore damage from wave frames completely) and just couldn't because I had worked myself into a corner with my infusions. We just came off of a season with scaling difficulty that, while it wasn't perfect, still felt like it was more skill/build related than "did you put in the time and get lucky with your drops".

The post campaign experience was and has been the same gameplay loop, with the lingering dread of needing to do certain activities at like 40-50 LL under to get the LL increases. Again, incredibly unpleasant if you want to do anything on Neomuna, as everything late-game is floating at around 1800/1810

I hope they accelerate their plans to remove light level from D2, or mitigate the loss of light sources post expansion launch.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lol there's a post on reddit with some big mad about how everyone, even the scrubs with less then 100 hours played are "Guardian Rank 6: Veteran" and how disappointed they are that their low man raids and day 1 raids didn't mean anything for the system. best new system IMO.

The bodies are placed underground and essentially in a sort of cryo - they need less food/resources. It's basically "go into cryo" or "go into cryro but also get to chill out in VR." And I assume with whatever is going on with The Veil, that power for the VR (CloudArk) is not really an issue or less of an issue then the alternative of being out of cryo.

Meiteron posted:

There were definitely a few standout encounters - both encounters that included the Radial Mast took multiple attempts, Headlong's final vex boss in the blender room took a couple tries and Calus took six - but nothing felt impossible or overly unfair to me. Even the hardest encounters boiled down to figuring out routes to take, enemy groups to kill first, how to handle Tormentor arenas, stuff like that.

FWIW I think these encounters gave my duo the most trouble too. Blender room boss was just way too tanky. Honestly there's probably a few fights that you can take slower then you think - my buddy was rushing in the first Radial Mast encounter cause of stuff like Spire's last boss being super aggressive with the add spawning, but I think you can get away with thinning out the herds more then you think.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 2, 2023

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

this poo poo makes Beyond Light look like Elden Ring

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Whirling posted:

Staying mobile and abusing the free grapple points and grapple melee are what kept me alive in solo legendary. I strongly suggest having Witherhoard + heavy LFR + primary of your choice (likely SMG).

Majority of your damage on Calus will be with Witherhoard - stick him with it whenever you have a moment (usually on the in between platforms) and to keep his shield from regenerating. Use the LFR on the Tormentors, one shot to each shoulder armor piece and then kite them around the outside while shooting them in the chest crit spot with your LFR. Kill the Cabal on the platforms for ammo with grapple melee, tangles, and your primary. It takes a minute to get used to swinging around especially with the warlock floof, but when I got the hang of it it was a ton of fun.

Then you unlock Strand for real and whoops grapple cooldown is like 1m45s base. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

to add on to the less resources thing, there's also a bit about the idea of keeping their base hidden so its as small of a target as possible, and part of that is not letting anyone out. there's a couple lore books i've found so far that reference this (one of the cloudstriders goes to earth, people find out about them, the cloudstrider considers killing like 500 humans to keep the secret, and then instead simply deletes any reference to the base from the warmind so no one can find out where they came from).

i assume the vex got in because of Ishtar Collective Bullshit, but as far as i can tell they were the only threat until Calus showed up? still pretty confused about this bit. i feel like there must be some "founding" lore that we're going to get from something that covers ishtar collective's relationship to the thing