Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Triskelion poo-poo platter wins again.

Left lane was originally the favored location, so I dropped the "gifted" Bast there. Turn 7 Shang Chi cleaned out the throne for me and I squeaked out the win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I love the idea of goon battlemode events. I've tried a few theme decks with some success in the thread:

All Infinity every card must be at "Infinity" level.
Same Cost every card in the deck must have the same energy cost
Agatha must include Agatha, cannot include any cards that Discard.

Going to see what I can make for an All Pixel deck so that we can all find a way to enjoy our terrible cache rewards. Someone posted an inspirational one yesterday, I think.

The dream is Draft League (didn't generate enough interest, and honestly would be tough to pull off without some tinkering) and/or Ban Mode where somehow the thread maintains a list of banned cards (weekly poll?).

Scrap Dragon posted:

This sounds like an excellent idea for a Goon tourney. Agatha only, no discard, no ramp, final destination.

It crossed my mind. I'm up to play a few more here before giving a Snap event another go. I've done one Agatha Duel so far and I feel like it's probably just over the line between "zany in a fun way" and "unfun dogshit in a sometimes zany way".

Walla posted:

I'd be down for a tournament, but I think we'd have to bracket it by cl to be fair. Or Pool 2 and below only.

Tourneys imply scheduling, which is an impossibly tall order.

.. but also battle mode codes expire in like ~15 minutes so a sort of loosey goosey open format arranged entirely on the fly, on the forums alone, would be pretty challenging, too.

.. and just lol at restricting deck construction for an Agatha Deck out of "fairness" (beyond cards that outright invalidate her). Agatha is whale-proof.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Back in the day I did a hearthstone thing that was basically just people agreeing to play games in a kind of round robin format, and working out the scheduling themselves and reporting the results back in the thread as the games got played. The top 4 went into a playoff. I’d be down to do something like that again, either with draft or some kind of restrictions on the decks. Or no restrictions, whatever.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I don't have a single s4 card let alone a s5 but I am found fit to face someone who has knull Galactus and Kang in the same deck

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I just had an awesome retreat. They played Hobgoblin at the new location that sets the base power to 2...

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I don't have a single s4 card let alone a s5 but I am found fit to face someone who has knull Galactus and Kang in the same deck

Ooh, that's a good idea, I could do that. Maybe Thanos too.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Made it to my goal for the season, 80. Was I playing Thanos? Yes. Was I having fun? Also Yes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So apparently the new location will set Thanos to 2 even if you have 2 power stones out and all other stones played. No like, 2 plus the 10s, just 2. That was a hard lesson

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Alright so throwing out ShuriKangs like a ninja is paying off

(No, I don't know why they stayed on. Probably because they snapped first and thought there's no way but uh. It's okay to retreat after you snap, even if it's 4 cubes at that point)

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

The Sean posted:

I just had an awesome retreat. They played Hobgoblin at the new location that sets the base power to 2...

I did this today! If I cut out the dumb mistakes I’d definitely have hit infinite.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Opopanax posted:

So apparently the new location will set Thanos to 2 even if you have 2 power stones out and all other stones played. No like, 2 plus the 10s, just 2. That was a hard lesson

Huh I guess the "wherever he is" modifies his base power and doesn't just add 10 to his base power. I assume if you played Thanos there first somehow and then triggered the Power Stone you'd get the boost.

If Thanos is destroyed and someone has a Knull out and you play all the stones, does Knull get 10 power btw?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

goferchan posted:

Huh I guess the "wherever he is" modifies his base power and doesn't just add 10 to his base power. I assume if you played Thanos there first somehow and then triggered the Power Stone you'd get the boost.

If Thanos is destroyed and someone has a Knull out and you play all the stones, does Knull get 10 power btw?

That's what I'm assuming happened, though Power Stone is an ongoing so it shouldn't work like that.

And yeah Knull will get whatever the current power is, for stuff like Thanos or Xandar

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Is the new location supposed to set everything to 2? Because I've seen some cards go to 4 power on it

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Doobie Keebler posted:

I did this today! If I cut out the dumb mistakes I’d definitely have hit infinite.

Tbf I've made the mistake of dropping a high power card there a few times while not paying attention.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Kang has some interesting visual effects for sure

(This is an 8 cube win)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hey, there's Thanos in my shop. Now to start saving up for Kang.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Artelier posted:

Kang has some interesting visual effects for sure

(This is an 8 cube win)

New Location: Finmalx-4. Snaps are secret.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Pixeltendo posted:

Is the new location supposed to set everything to 2? Because I've seen some cards go to 4 power on it

Quantum Realm specifically affects the card's base power, so any buffs/debuffs they have from Nakia/Okoye/Wakandan Embassy/Scorpion/etc still apply afterwards.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

goferchan posted:

The key phrase here being "has +10 power" and not "gains +10 power", I think. Modifies the base power.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Just hit 70 :woop: with what is now probably my favorite game ever:

Thanks for your Odin letting me send back my Hobgoblin, dude!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Did the mystery thing got a really cool... Quake.. variant. So hey.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hey cool, thanks X-Mansion for giving them Hulk and me Mantis. I didn't even get a card because it doesn't count as playing her.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

goferchan posted:

Thanos when all the stones have been played is really weird because if you have the power stone out, you can see the new power level in your hand before you even play him so it's like it sets his base power to whatever +10. Because of this I can see quantum realm dropping him back to 2.

I've been seeing a lot of Bro 2 decks today (makes sense) and the soul stone has been doing some great work against it. Just absolutely nothing in the decks to make that not a problem. Had cloning vats earlier to make it even more annoying for them by dropping 2 in one lane and 1 in another to make all three lanes unable to be fully activated.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I miss Surfer and Zabu Meta 😔😔😔

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Studio posted:

I miss Surfer and Zabu Meta 😔😔😔

But how can Red Skull, Shuri, Taskmaster, Shulk meta go away!! Shuri isn’t due a nerf. If they nerf RS they’re doin something wrong. Shulk can probably be nerfed *somehow* but that’s not the real issue. MODOK didn’t make Discard super meta competitive.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sandwolf posted:

But how can Red Skull, Shuri, Taskmaster, Shulk meta go away!! Shuri isn’t due a nerf. If they nerf RS they’re doin something wrong. Shulk can probably be nerfed *somehow* but that’s not the real issue. MODOK didn’t make Discard super meta competitive.

It's to promote the new Shang-Chi movie :v:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

So I think Thanos Zoo is actually number one, and I think the biggest problem is that Quinjet is a 1 mana "all your infinity stones, which are hugely useful, are now free." My fix would be to make it so that the stones start in your deck, and don't have that bonkers efficiency.

For Shuri, I think there's some changes there that could be interesting? "The next card you play has their power increased by their energy cost". Some neat combos available there ala forge that aren't just "play a big guy"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Sean posted:

Ordinary Harry had a game yesterday where his opponent played Green Goblin in Quantum Realm after playing Shuri. It hit the table as a -6, crossed over, then turned into a +4. Nice spaghetti code.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jedit posted:

Ordinary Harry had a game yesterday where his opponent played Green Goblin in Quantum Realm after playing Shuri. It hit the table as a -6, crossed over, then turned into a +4. Nice spaghetti code.

what exactly do you think should have happened here? shuri's effect doubles the base power of the card, and quantum realm changes the base power to 2

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

flatluigi posted:

what exactly do you think should have happened here? shuri's effect doubles the base power of the card, and quantum realm changes the base power to 2

If you play Valkyrie in a lane with a Shuri boosted card, the card is set to 3 power, not to 6. So why does Shuri's ability persist after Quantum Realm goes to work? It's exactly the same effect.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I think it's a confusing because you get used to On Reveals taking precedence over location effects (e.g. playing Storm into Death's Domain) but the doubling itself works differently. If Shuri said "Give the next card you play: on reveal: double this card's power" then Green Goblin would double to -6, then change to +2.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

If you play Valkyrie in a lane with a Shuri boosted card, the card is set to 3 power, not to 6. So why does Shuri's ability persist after Quantum Realm goes to work? It's exactly the same effect.

because it is in fact being handled similarly, and is applied as part of/at the end of the On Reveal process? green/hogoblin comes in as a -X and then has On Reveal effects happen -> it crosses the table, the location triggers and sets its power to 2, then Shuri happens and it sets the power to 4

it's definitely potentially confusing (and they could do a better job making it explicit what order things will occur in without having to just know), but that outcome makes sense and there's nothing "persisting"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LGD posted:

because it is in fact being handled similarly, and is applied as part of/at the end of the On Reveal process? green/hogoblin comes in as a -X and then has On Reveal effects happen -> it crosses the table, the location triggers and sets its power to 2, then Shuri happens and it sets the power to 4

It didn't come in as a -X, though. It came in as a -2X. That's the only reason why I think there's a problem. Either it enters as a -3 and finishes as a 4, or it enters as a -6 and finishes as a 2. It cannot enter as -6 and finish as a 4 without working differently to Valkyrie.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
If you want to climb the ranks 2 cubes at a time, Galactus/Knull is a pro choice.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

Jedit posted:

It didn't come in as a -X, though. It came in as a -2X. That's the only reason why I think there's a problem. Either it enters as a -3 and finishes as a 4, or it enters as a -6 and finishes as a 2. It cannot enter as -6 and finish as a 4 without working differently to Valkyrie.

Quantom Realm specifically changes the base power of a card, so any effects that modify power still work "normally". If you play a card that's been Scorpion'd, it'd be at 1 power after the effects of the location triggers.

So in the goblin example, the base power becomes two after it flies over, but it still has the Shuri effect applied, making it four power.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
JJJ emotes datamined, looks like he changes the text ones:

Let's get on with it!

Put your Cubes where your mouth is!

Thumbs down!

Fake News!

You're a MENACE!

Crap! Crap! MEGACRAP!

You play like a bot! I can't lose!

PARKER! You better have gotten a photo of that!

Auto include every deck if I get him

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice
Win 4 cubes, retreat 6 times from Thanos Lockjaw, win 2 cubes, retreat 4 times from Thanos Lockjaw

Cool game

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Make Leech a 3/3 and have him just remove the ability from the next card played like a reverse zero and it basically fixes the Thanos meta by allowing counter decks like Hazmat to play against it. Thanos becoming a 6/11 had no effect on the actual power level of the deck, it's always been Leech completely borking turn 6 counterplay, which was also a big issue during the Leader meta.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't think turn 5 3 power leech is a problem. It's ramped out turn 4 leech and lockjaw leech that's a problem (and the problem with thanos in general is his interaction with lockjaw). If leech only went off on turn 5 like daredevil it would fix a lot of the problems I see with him, but ofc then you couldn't cosmo him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Psikotik posted:

Win 4 cubes, retreat 6 times from Thanos Lockjaw, win 2 cubes, retreat 4 times from Thanos Lockjaw

Cool game

lol why did you retreat 10 straight games against thanos lockjaw