Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I got an M in overly long D Latin in 1997 :smugmrgw:

e: So few people were still doing Latin in 1997, that when they curved it, you'd only have to have had four points deducted for an E (literally only one person got an L that year). So the M was pretty dang good, comparatively. In the 80s it would've been an L easily.

My dear fellow Finnposter no one outside Finland understands what any of our grades mean

(I got an E in Latin) (edit: in, uh, 2008)

a cyborg mug has a new favorite as of 12:11 on Mar 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a cyborg mug posted:

My dear fellow Finnposter no one outside Finland understands what any of our grades mean

(I got an E in Latin)

Oh, hello Ilkka.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't understand why anyone would ever use letters instead of numbers for grading.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't understand why anyone would ever use letters instead of numbers for grading.

You get a solid Q for this post.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Predates numbers.

(Arabian numbers.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

a cyborg mug posted:

Well I know in Latin an M is 1000 so that's pretty good

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It is a cooking technique, like frying. (I'm not going to read a loving Wikipedia article about it, I had an 8 in home economics!)

You did so bad they moved your grades to numbers. And you didn't even get a 10!

e: oh nvm everyone already pointed it out. o well

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Well I know in Latin an M is 1000 so that's pretty good

Yeah but the grade M is just an abbreviation of magna cum laude approbatur, as we all know (except those who got an I).

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’m teaching elementary school in Germany right now and for some bastard hell reason they do grades 6 to 1, with 1 being the best. At least in Berlin. Imagine how hosed up (or German) you have to be to do that. Clearly 6 should be the best, it’s the Most Number???

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

a cyborg mug posted:

I’m teaching elementary school in Germany right now and for some bastard hell reason they do grades 6 to 1, with 1 being the best. At least in Berlin. Imagine how hosed up (or German) you have to be to do that. Clearly 6 should be the best, it’s the Most Number???

But A is the least letter?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Grassy Knowles posted:

Exactly, stop using letter grades!!!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Isn't A also the most letter, depending on circumstances

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The ”joke” here is that different countries have different grading systems and that’s OK.

Except for Denmark, which, once again, has totally hosed up everything and somehow their grades range from -3 to 12. Get a grip, Danes

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Isn't A also the most letter, depending on circumstances

No that's 'S'.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here’s my understanding of the American grades:
S - Slammin’
A - Amazin’
B - Bitchin’
C - :coal:
D - drat
F - Farrtt

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I support educational institutions using a Devil May Cry style grading system

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

a cyborg mug posted:

Here’s my understanding of the American grades:
S - Slammin’
A - Amazin’
B - Bitchin’
C - :coal:
D - drat
F - Farrtt

We don't have S* here.

Unless some schools have taken ideas from Japanese action games?

*With the exception of some schools (usually elementary) that forgo to F to A system and use, like, U for Unsatisfactory, NI for Needs Improvement, S for Satisfactory, and E for Excellent.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

a cyborg mug posted:

How many accusativi cum infinitivis and different uses of the genitive did you have to identify and explain in the half of the text you didn't have to explicitly translate? (I also got an E in latin in 2008)

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

We don't have S* here.

Unless some schools have taken ideas from Japanese action games?

*With the exception of some schools (usually elementary) that forgo to F to A system and use, like, U for Unsatisfactory, NI for Needs Improvement, S for Satisfactory, and E for Excellent.

The Japanese action games stole it from Japanese schools, so if any American schools did it they probably would be taking it from the Japanese schools and not the games

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
My wife went to school in Finland. Grades in primary (elementary?) school were from 4-10. 10 being the best.

Apparently 1-3 don’t exist.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grassy Knowles posted:

Yeah that's why it's the lowest passing grade.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Creature posted:

My wife went to school in Finland. Grades in primary (elementary?) school were from 4-10. 10 being the best.

Just on a lark I checked out my finished university courses on THE PORTAL (one authentication gets you logged in on about 100% of "official" Finnish websites) and whereas they used to be worth study weeks and graded 1-3, they're now worth study points, and graded 1-5?!?!? How did they translate from 1-3 to 1-5 - probably some algorithm :barf:

e: I never graduated.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Creature posted:

The grading system did in fact have the grades 1-3 a long time ago. However, a 4 already basically meant ”failed” in that system so they eventually just got rid of the unnecessary grades.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just on a lark I checked out my finished university courses on THE PORTAL (one authentication gets you logged in on about 100% of "official" Finnish websites) and whereas they used to be worth study weeks and graded 1-3, they're now worth study points, and graded 1-5?!?!? How did they translate from 1-3 to 1-5 - probably some algorithm :barf:

e: I never graduated.

Haha, u old

a cyborg mug has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Mar 2, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a cyborg mug posted:

The grading system did in fact have the grades 1-3 a long time ago. However, a 4 already basically meant ”failed” in that system so they eventually just got rid of the unnecessary grades.

Haha, u old

Last week-end I was talking about how hosed up it was that [something, I don't remember what] was so expensive and started saying "I mean it costs [some hundred]" and everyone else shouted "DON'T SAY MARKS".

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Last week-end I was talking about how hosed up it was that [something, I don't remember what] was so expensive and started saying "I mean it costs [some hundred]" and everyone else shouted "DON'T SAY MARKS".

I don’t know why those mummonmarkka prices are burned into my/our collective memory so stubbornly. I was a preteen when we got the glorious €uro and have forgotten so much of the actually meaningful stuff. Would love to remember cool poo poo like what I did with people who are now fuckin dead, for instance.

Also, old phone numbers. Why the gently caress does my brain absolutely insist on hanging onto every digit of my childhood home’s landline number, a piece of information I will literally never need again in any situation?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a cyborg mug posted:

I don’t know why those mummonmarkka prices are burned into my/our collective memory so stubbornly.

If you want to look at actual inflation over a longer time-span, it's very useful.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

check out the danish grading scale used from 1833 to 1963

- ug (udmærket godt = excellently good, though "udmærket" has drifted to mean more like "fine" now)
- mg (meget godt = very good)
- g (godt = good)
- tg (temmelig godt = rather good)
- mdl (maadeligt godt = moderately good)
- slet (bad)

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

a cyborg mug posted:

Also, old phone numbers. Why the gently caress does my brain absolutely insist on hanging onto every digit of my childhood home’s landline number, a piece of information I will literally never need again in any situation?

And friends/family who moved away or died decades ago.

The best use I’ve found is using portions of them for unique PINs that are easily remembered. Nobody is going to be able to guess that your PIN is the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th digits of some kid you played hockey with 30 years ago.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

St_Ides posted:

Nobody is going to be able to guess that your PIN is the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th digits of some kid you played hockey with 30 years ago.
You took his fingers? Or toes?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Seventeen years ago, when I worked for T-Mobile, I had predicted that phone numbers would effectively be entirely gone by 2010 and we'd all just be using the Internet to make "phone calls" to e-mail addresses instead, and also that all phone companies would be absorbed by Microsoft, Google, etc.

edit for topical thing: I just realized the mask in Scream is "ghost face" and not "scream face". I thought it was supposed to resemble the dude getting yelled at in The Scream?

I mean it doesn't not resemble it.

credburn has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Mar 3, 2023

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
Saw some scandinavian goons in the thread, found something recently about the nordic languages. Y'all probably know but it's still really fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MRfVHU9fr0&t=5s
This channel gets guests who speak three separate languages of the same family, presents them with a related one and see if they can decipher it. In this video, we learn that Icelandic hasn't changed all that much from Old Norse compared to the other north germanic languages.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Godzilla is just a bipedal stegosaurus

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hmm yes, and you call him a gorilla whale despite the fact that he is clearly a bipedal stegosaurus?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

The Real Slim Shady posted:

"Yeah, he's cute, but I think he's married to Kim, hee-hee"
I should download her audio on MP3
And show the whole world how you gave Eminem VD

He's going to download her song on Napster and get a computer virus.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

credburn posted:

Seventeen years ago, when I worked for T-Mobile, I had predicted that phone numbers would effectively be entirely gone by 2010 and we'd all just be using the Internet to make "phone calls" to e-mail addresses instead, and also that all phone companies would be absorbed by Microsoft, Google, etc.

edit for topical thing: I just realized the mask in Scream is "ghost face" and not "scream face". I thought it was supposed to resemble the dude getting yelled at in The Scream?

I mean it doesn't not resemble it.

I found this while looking into it: https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3698926/original-ghostface-mask-designs-wouldve-completely-changed-scream-franchise-images/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've always had trouble with eating salads, because they're so, uh, not-dense. Take up a lot of plate space, kinda fiddly to eat compared to something heartier. Today I realized I can just, like, buy a bag of salad mix and eat it straight from the bag like it's chips or something. Sure, it's goony as gently caress and makes dressings an impossibility, but at least I'm eating greens now.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Chopped salad kits were the game-changer in our household. Yes, I do prefer to have my salad cut up for me, thank you. :colbert:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You gotta straight up eat the lettuce, though

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Bagged salad is great, especially the garden variety. It's healthy, you get different flavors and textures, and without dressing there's zero fat.

You want to talk goony snack choices, last week I saw a gingerbread house kit on deep clearance, and I like gingerbread, so a box with two pounds of it plus a bunch of little bags of candy for only a dollar? Sold!

Turns out they don't expect you to actually eat that stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I got a gingerbread house kit on clearance for a dollar, only to find when I got home it didn't contain gingerbread or any of the ingredients to make it. Just the extra candy and little decorations for the house.

It had enough gumdrops to be worth a buck (which is what gave the box enough weight for me to think it had gingerbread), but still.