Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Honestly feel like we shoulda just spent a year on Neptune chillin and dealing with the Vex or something and have the cabal threat happen for the final season, the end cutscene woulda been pretty cool as a lead up to the next expac! not the end of this ones base story...

Can't wait to spend all year doing bullshit tasks while we ignore the hole in the traveller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014

General Battuta posted:

I mean my thoughts about the Darkness aren't a secret, I defined it pretty openly in the D1 grimoire and I've kept to the same concept since. It's an idea that fascinates me because it's real, right? It exists in our universe, it dominates everything we do. All the good we want to achieve, everything we want to make better about the world, is constrained by the fact that systems first have to keep existing and resist their competitors before they can actually, like, do good stuff. It's awful. It's tyrannical. It weighed on me a lot as a depressed burnout locked in a room at Bungie banging away at OneNote. "Is creation, whether it's a video game studio or a nation or a species or whatever, ultimately ruled by those who put all their energy into Winning The Game, and none at all into Being Decent or Having Purpose?" What's the point of writing a great game if no one plays it? Does it matter if you write a bad game if everyone plays it? Is there really any meaning to anything that can exist beyond the awful metric of 'first, promote your own existence'?

But Bungie is ultimately in charge of the IP, they get to decide what actually matters to the game.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this. Yeah, I've always thought of the darkness as the king of that type of workplace psychopath that climbs the corporate ladder using every resource available to them, without a thought for ethics or whatever

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

After taking a day to digest the campaign and post-campaign story stuff, I think where I've landed is rescheduling really hosed this story

1) Strand was supposed to be earned in Witch Queen. It makes perfect sense there thematically (and would have had some really cool duality with the Hive gaining the Traveller's Light and us gaining the Witch Queen's Strand):

2) The main CG cutscene makes no loving sense when viewed as bookends to the campaign. It makes plenty of sense if you watch it as a single whole video as the intro to Lightfall and the end of Destiny 1/2/10 year plan/light-darkness saga whatever you want to call it. Starts off with a bang, Witness clowns everyone, succeeds immediately, now it's off to the races to stop whatever the gently caress it is doing. Instead, the shutters on the Helm close, we go have zany adventures in Neomuna, do a Rocky training montage with Osiris, hang out with Nimbus for a good long while while the Witness sits out in space knitting, then poof, shutters open and Witness executes its master plan!

3) Strand makes no loving sense in Neomuna. It's here more than anywhere else that the shift from WQ to LF feels most jarring. poo poo like encountering loving Shadow Cabal with Strand shields like, immediately! And then Osiris yelling that we must acquire Strand, it's the only way we can surprise the Witness and defeat Calus! The gently caress, bro, they already have it for some reason (conversely, if we had acquired it back in WQ, it would have been something unique and hidden by Savathun, which is very appropriate for her entire M.O.)

4) You could maybe possibly make the argument the Veil is supposed to be some vital part or organ of the Traveller that Savathun hid during the collapse to stop the Witness. How or why it was hidden in the solar system and the Witness couldn't find it, who knows. Why the Witness needs it to open the portal to the Traveller's cotton candy dimension, also who knows. The heart of the black garden being a failed clone of the heart feels like some too-pat retconny nonsense to try to tie up a story thread that didn't need to be tied up, but again, who knows. This only sort of makes sense when considering the Parasite mission where the worm straight up tells you Savathun rode shotgun for the Witness during the collapse until it was going to shank the Traveler, then she pulled a real humdinger of a scheme.

5) Really just a bit of meta thinking, but if we got dark blue in Beyond Light and green in Witch Queen and then whatever the next darkness flavor was in this campaign (orange resonance?), we'd wrap up the story having Learned The Darkness Alongside Our Light, and we'd wage the big final battle with The Friends We Made Along The Way.

6) More meta thinking - how do you go from the Witch Queen to this incredibly messy Lightfall campaign? You have a narrative team forced to re-write what was supposed to be the last campaign now split into two campaigns and stuff a power acquisition story into a place it wasn't supposed to be. You can't do any big reveals, because those are already all earmarked for The Final Shape, so you somehow cram a campaign in between the shutters on the helm closing and opening.

Anyway, idle random baseless speculation and rambling. Destiny story is nonsense at the best of times, but Lightfall, especially after Witch Queen, misses the mark on so many obvious storytelling rules.

I think what's most annoying is that you can't have your Empire Strikes Back or your Infinity War without clear stakes and clear consequences, and they could have pulled that off here. Instead we got Osiris whining about Strand, sucking up so much oxygen in the story they did tell, and no clear explanation of what the Witness was doing, or why we should care. Frustrating.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

fast cars loose anus posted:

Christ almighty the last room of the 3rd mission is some serious unfun dogshit

I died about 20 times in it last night trying to do it on Legendary, before eventually managing to get to the “Clear the arena” objective, and dying again. I’ll give it another go tonight, but it kind of feels like the number of spawns goes beyond fun and into unfair.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the steam rating is dropping like a rock, good lord

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I didn't buy this expansion yet cause I got slightly sick of playing the game in the last couple seasons, didn't even finish out the track in that last one, or bother getting the exotic pulse rifle. Sounds like I might have made the right decision, there's the honeymoon period usually with expansions where people are excited by new stuff, usually you have to wait a couple weeks for the issues to start surfacing but this one it's not even been 2 days.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

General Battuta posted:

In both the Ikora journal for uhh Witch Queen? And hopefully in some upcoming lore stuff you will see more of the thoughts I put into the Light side of things. Where I do try to articulate a possibility of escape from the tyranny of 'optimize thy own values away in favor of Growth'

Ikora's reconciliation of the Light and Dark was beautiful. Legitimatly moving stuff, no matter what Bungie ends up doing with the plot, the underlying question you hung everything on is profound.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I didn't buy this expansion yet cause I got slightly sick of playing the game in the last couple seasons, didn't even finish out the track in that last one, or bother getting the exotic pulse rifle. Sounds like I might have made the right decision, there's the honeymoon period usually with expansions where people are excited by new stuff, usually you have to wait a couple weeks for the issues to start surfacing but this one it's not even been 2 days.

fwiw I think the campaign gameplay was fun, the season thing is fun, the qol changes are all really really good

basically if you like pve shoots and don't give a poo poo about the story, pvp, or gambit, it's probably worth playing (did I just describe launch D1)

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

fast cars loose anus posted:

Christ almighty the last room of the 3rd mission is some serious unfun dogshit

Also this is quite annoying

It's rough. Some tips:

- If you've been doing the seasonal content, the auto rifle is a Strand weapon and will help deal with the strand shielded enemies.

- Stick to the high ground and clear out the enemies from there. The taken respawn perpetually but the cabal only spawn in when you progress the objectives.

- prioritize Taken Centurions cause they're bastards who'll spam the homing shots at you. if you've cleared all the cabal, kill them and then go for the orb and dunk it.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Heads up - apparently sometimes your reloader, holster, reserve, finder, and scavenger Mods will often become inactive upon a single PvE Death

And you have to re-slot the mod to re-activate them?

What in tarnation

This explains so much about why I was beating my head harder than expected against poo poo.

Also, reserve mods don't work at all I found out last night, among other things. Jfc, no wonder this feels even more poo poo. 24 hour downtime to dump a big stinky on the collective playerbase desk

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So how do people feel about Strand at least? I haven't done anything since I completed the campaign last night so I haven't gotten any of the fragments or grenade alternatives but I like the Hunter homing dagger.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So how do people feel about Strand at least? I haven't done anything since I completed the campaign last night so I haven't gotten any of the fragments or grenade alternatives but I like the Hunter homing dagger.

ton of fun once you get your fragments and get a good armor setup + artifact mods going

it wasn't immediately clear to me that unravel is the strand jolt/volatile/ignition analog (titans only access to it is grapple melee afaict)

when the new fragments open up next week warlock is going to have an absolutely hilarious threadling build

oh and speaking of elemental aoes, Kinetic got one too, which is... lazy design or fun and cool you decide - I didn't check which guns have it, so I'm not sure if it's craftable yet

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really like it, it's fun to play, feels good as a hunter, and when I managed to get four nodes in an area to make my own swingy arena it felt satisfying as hell. The flying dagger is rad too, and I hope they backport the catch minigame (time the melee button to catch it on the return to regain more melee energy) to other things like Titan shield throws.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I haven't unlocked it yet but I've been enjoying the snippets, though I know the grapple cooldown is way longer in actual strand gaming. Threadlings are fun and my sons.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I want to try strand but gently caress bothering until it's all unlocked. Goddamn time gated poo poo just sucks every time, and there's plenty in this expac again. Having stasis lose access to well interactions while the other subclasses get a side grade sure was a design choice lol. Definitely feeling the loss of damage in the primary slot for non-kinetics as well, they leaned so hard into this "we heard you want challenge" in so many parts of the game it's compounded horribly. Back to void/witherhoard/whatever again.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Warlock seems real cool with Strand so I've been debating trying one out. Was even going to eat the 20 dollars to skip the campaign but apparently it doesn't actually count as you beating it so you have to do it still to unlock anything? If I was reading right which lol wtf is the point then.

e: Also the only option I had was for "character boost" which according to google is something separate than Campaign Skip which isn't visible to me even though I beat the campaign so no clue wtf is going on.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 2, 2023

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

sunday at work posted:

Ikora's reconciliation of the Light and Dark was beautiful. Legitimatly moving stuff, no matter what Bungie ends up doing with the plot, the underlying question you hung everything on is profound.

Yeah, the lore in Witch Queen’s CE is straight up some of my favorite destiny writing. Reread it recently and it totally holds up even after a year

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

kurona_bright posted:

Yeah, the lore in Witch Queen’s CE is straight up some of my favorite destiny writing. Reread it recently and it totally holds up even after a year

:shobon:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My only problem with the speculation that Strand was originally meant for Witch Queen is that I seriously doubt remaking everything else but Stasis for Light 3.0 was less work.

I also find it very convenient that all the leakers waited to "reveal" this fact until after Lightfall was out.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
A rainmaker argosy

Ikora Rey – Name I chose because it was the right name

ikora rey — name unproper, like an object

ikorarey – agglutinated self, boundaries removed. I don’t like this

i
ko
ra
rey

Like a song?

I, Kora — who am I without I? Kora. Twenty-one stringed instrument, west African. Or the Greek word for maiden. As in fair maiden? Sorry, neither.

Ikora. From ikora, Sanskrit word for ravanagrass, the blade of grass that Sita threw down between her and the Demon King Ravana as a wall and a sign. (This etymology is contested, but it is hard to know exactly how ancient words have changed.) If I am the blade of grass then I am the barrier between Ravana and Sita, between demon and queen. In some places and times I would have been persecuted as a demon because I am a Gnostic. Am I a Gnostic? Am I agnostic? Maybe, if you ask whether you’re agnostic, it means that you are: if you doubt then you are a doubter. An idea you can’t entertain without confirming it. Tiny brainstain.

Ikora. From Ikaria, Greek island, cultural preserve, famously cozy and long-lived. Not far from Tropea, as the crow flies. To breakfast like an Ikarian: spread honey on bread. Drink goat milk, wine, sage tea or coffee. For lunch, lentils, greens, dandelion greens. Dinner is bread and milk. On holidays, pork. Marjoram, sage, mint, and lemon in the tea. Ikaria vanished in the Collapse. The island untouched but everyone on it gone.

Ikora. From Hebrew yakiri: precious, dear. To who?

Ikora. From Arabic ikra or iqra, to read, to recite, especially a sacred text.

I, Chorus. Many voices, one message. Song of myself: I am large, I contain multitudes. (More impressive if you are small and contain multitudes: superior compression.) Will you speak to me before I am gone? Will you prove already too late?

I, Chora. From the Latin for the site of a monument. Many Titans wear marks with verses from Pujari’s libraries marked as Roman numerals. A popular mark I see is 28, 7-61. 28 perhaps for Augustine of Hippo’s Enchiridion, chapter 28. 7-61 could be the seventh chapter of the Quran, the sixty-first verse, “I am a messenger from the lord of worlds.” (This conflation of the Traveler with Abrahamic God has been no end of controversial; Guardians are perhaps too omnivorous in their allusions? Though I wonder if Messengers would be as good a name as Guardians?) I often study the Quran’s allusions to the Sabians, who were Gnostics like me, and perhaps worshipped Manu-Noah, or Mercury-Thoth, or Seth-Idris, or stars. I would have liked to meet them. I have heard that Sacred Harran has been resettled by those who follow the prophecies made in 2222 CE. Who knows if anything will come of it?

Ichor Array. Ew.

I, Chorarae. A place mentioned on some ancient maps.

I, ko’ra Rey. In Uzbek, ‘I according to Ray’. Who’s Ray? Who is he to accord me?

I, Okra. An edible mallow plant, from an Igbo word. I like okra because okra produces goo when cooked, and the goo is useful for cleaning wastewater. We must not shy from the fact that we are mostly water. We are Light but also ooze.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Really loving stupid that you only can use the grappling hook once per minute in PvE and also if you used it already you can't make use of the free anchors all over the place. Just make it so the anchors ALWAYS can be hooked and also make it so the hook recharges in like 10 seconds if you don't use it to attack anything.

Quicksilver with the catalyst is pretty cool EXCEPT that using the grenade launcher doesn't activate the suspension perk so you can kill a bunch of people with a grenade and then you have to deplete the grenades before you can shoot it to make them float - really ruins the flow of what would be a really cool mechanic.

The exotic machine gun is extremely boring.

I still don't understand how to get the Queen's Favors or whatever. I've done the battleground like 3 times and haven't gotten anything

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

General Battuta posted:

I mean my thoughts about the Darkness aren't a secret, I defined it pretty openly in the D1 grimoire and I've kept to the same concept since. It's an idea that fascinates me because it's real, right? It exists in our universe, it dominates everything we do. All the good we want to achieve, everything we want to make better about the world, is constrained by the fact that systems first have to keep existing and resist their competitors before they can actually, like, do good stuff. It's awful. It's tyrannical. It weighed on me a lot as a depressed burnout locked in a room at Bungie banging away at OneNote. "Is creation, whether it's a video game studio or a nation or a species or whatever, ultimately ruled by those who put all their energy into Winning The Game, and none at all into Being Decent or Having Purpose?" What's the point of writing a great game if no one plays it? Does it matter if you write a bad game if everyone plays it? Is there really any meaning to anything that can exist beyond the awful metric of 'first, promote your own existence'?

But Bungie is ultimately in charge of the IP, they get to decide what actually matters to the game.

Very poignant in light of Lightfall being what it is and the marketing job they did with it

I wonder if the Witness feels sorry for Bungie like it does the Traveller.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Really loving stupid that you only can use the grappling hook once per minute in PvE and also if you used it already you can't make use of the free anchors all over the place. Just make it so the anchors ALWAYS can be hooked and also make it so the hook recharges in like 10 seconds if you don't use it to attack anything.

Quicksilver with the catalyst is pretty cool EXCEPT that using the grenade launcher doesn't activate the suspension perk so you can kill a bunch of people with a grenade and then you have to deplete the grenades before you can shoot it to make them float - really ruins the flow of what would be a really cool mechanic.

The exotic machine gun is extremely boring.

I still don't understand how to get the Queen's Favors or whatever. I've done the battleground like 3 times and haven't gotten anything

its been a minute since I quicksilver stormed but I think if you hold R in nade mode you can swap back to normal firing without losing them

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

General Battuta posted:

A rainmaker argosy

<…>

I’m not the biggest fan of okra because of the goo, but I like this. Thanks for sharing it :3:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The first unlock you bought at the helm table in the top row determines how you can make favors.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Very poignant in light of Lightfall being what it is and the marketing job they did with it

I wonder if the Witness feels sorry for Bungie like it does the Traveller.

enough grind. enough crunch.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Going over the campaign again I'm starting to notice a whole bunch of little details that speak to an unusual decline in polish from what I'd expect.

Early on Osiris has a line in the hall of heroes where he directly notes our inability to properly control Strand - capital S, proper noun - the first time a character ever references it directly. In the very next line, he comments that he'll continue to "investigate these (dramatic pause) 'strands'" like he hadn't just named out of nowhere them 5 seconds prior. That immediately strikes me as a writing oopsie that an editing pass should have caught pretty quickly.

Similarly, post-campaign I find it strange how both Zavala and Ikora reference the Traveller being "gone" when the stupid ball is still right up there in space it's just got a big triangle cut into it right now. Again, this strikes me as a miss from editing, like they changed how the story actually played out but didn't update the script to accommodate it, or didn't get lines re-recorded.

Also there's a really silly moment in the Strand Training Montage cutscene where Osiris' robe glitches out and goes crazy like hunter capes sometimes do when you're on a Sparrow. This is not a prerendered cutscene! No one noticed this? No one redid the animations for this, they just let it go into the live version??

There's a few other things like that and it's all contributing to an Impression I'm getting, stacked up alongside factoids like how zero new legendary weapon models were added this season, only new skins put over old models. Not even Shadowkeep did that. Somewhere along the development timeline if definitely feels like they either were forced to cut some corners to ship the expansion at the expected time, or intentionally let things slip a bit to focus development resources elsewhere.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

lightfall has hit mostly negative on steam but they finally sold the ship I wanted for bright dust so who can say really if its bad or not

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012

If they don't want infinite grappling it should just have a 10 second cooldown (maybe slightly more in PvP, like 15 - 20 seconds) between use, and the grenade cooldown should be tied to the grapple melee ability instead, so you can still use grapple as a traversal tool but can't spam AOE damage.

The other thing that needs to be fixed is the triple melee charges for titan/warlock should have all charges filled by one melee cooldown, not each charge refill separately.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah I think it’s pretty clear that Lightfall was sacrificed on the altar of maintaining an annual release cadence for the major expansions. You had to cut corners somewhere and there’s no way they’re not funneling the D2 team’s limited resources to Final Shape to go out with a bang.

I’m sure they’re going to continue pushing D2 content after FS but they’re also working on a couple of new games that - if they end up taking off - will push Destiny way to the back burner.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Oxyclean posted:

There is no patterns for the daily exclusive weapons so have fun getting hosed by rng!

I didn't even notice! Lol lmao if they expect me to grind for those mid guns.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i haven't finished the new campaign yet, but i'm enjoying it.

this could be my cynical/contrarian nature but i refuse to take anything that youtube streamers have to say about the quality of the game as any sort of meaningful bellwether. streamerbrain means their evaluation of a game is always going to be biased by (if not entirely rooted in) "how are these changes going to impact muh channel?"

i'm having fun with the space shooty mans game, even if Nimbus is the cringiest character that's not an SCP self-insert character.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Taking bets in whether the TWAB will be a prewritten tone deaf 'wow! everyone loves lightfall and nu calus and strand its our highest rated expansion ever' or if they actually address the current reception.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Pick the 'heavy weapon kills grant a chance for favour' upgrade from the helm and go ham with a machine gun in the first encounter.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Lib and let die posted:

i haven't finished the new campaign yet, but i'm enjoying it.

this could be my cynical/contrarian nature but i refuse to take anything that youtube streamers have to say about the quality of the game as any sort of meaningful bellwether. streamerbrain means their evaluation of a game is always going to be biased by (if not entirely rooted in) "how are these changes going to impact muh channel?"

i'm having fun with the space shooty mans game, even if Nimbus is the cringiest character that's not an SCP self-insert character.

Being contrarian like that for it’s own sake is pretty stupid hth, and you’re going to end up digging in like all the pc discord guys who are now having to ignore or justify some pretty silly stuff (see some of the earlier posts on the page re basic story errors, bugs, etc).

This expansion is straight up disrespectful lol, we all got played hard

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Being contrarian like that for it’s own sake is pretty stupid hth, and you’re going to end up digging in like all the pc discord guys who are now having to ignore or justify some pretty silly stuff (see some of the earlier posts on the page re basic story errors, bugs, etc).

This expansion is straight up disrespectful lol, we all got played hard

i don't plan on arguing with discord guys about it

i have c-spam arguments to have, i'm only one shitposter

e: seriously, i learned my lessons about Streamer Opinions after ENB assured the world that Dark Souls 2 was gonna be great, and it turned out to be poo poo.

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 2, 2023

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

idk why people want The Guardian to talk more, it always feels loving weird when they say stuff. Is it just me?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Oh my god lol the guardian rank thing resets every season

Hahahaha hahahah

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it owns, its making reddit super mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my god lol the guardian rank thing resets every season

Hahahaha hahahah

Only to 6 which means nothing but still. It’s a bad system.

Speaking of: doing a flawless legend lost sector is how you get 4 more loadout slots