Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jel Shaker posted:

lol i got confused and thought they gave him a romanian tv channel, like a talk show

Tuesdays with Yuri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Ardennes posted:

Bulgaria used to have an advanced electronics industry, perhaps the collapse of the bloc wasn’t such a great thing for the people living there.

Shocked_Pikachu.jpg

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1631304214323314688?s=20

where are all these traitors and collaborators coming from

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

fits my needs posted:

Brighton Beach

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zodium posted:

there's no scientific theory of war. people are just guessing.

From now on, we are enemies - You and I. Because You choose for Your instrument a boastful, lustful, smutty, infantile boy and give me for reward only the ability to recognize the incarnation. Because You are unjust, unfair, unkind, I will block You, I swear it. I will hinder and harm Your creature as far as I am able. I will ruin Your incarnation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th_ro9CiASc

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

Al-Saqr posted:

wow america is so moral and cool unlike those russians and chinese

https://twitter.com/joeywreck/status/1629889944519835649?s=46&t=nuUxCS0ujXY6zmkVY9KHnA

anyways

This is just I mean I dont even have the words to describe this. gently caress these people, gently caress this country, gently caress this world.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Phobos Anomaly posted:

This is just I mean I dont even have the words to describe this. gently caress these people, gently caress this country, gently caress this world.

nothing you can do to fix it other than believe that democrats mean to help make the world a better place lol

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

fits my needs posted:

That's a lot of tankies :eyepop:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putin's bathroom!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fits my needs posted:

this stupid motherfucker that can't even wear a gaiter right

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1631300350832517126?s=20

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1631301148031217666?s=20

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

huh i didnt know romanians made TVs

iirc each of the east bloc countries did have items they specialized in or had more renown as being the highest quality that could be purchased. Romania had renown for their TVs and radios, Hungary made good clothing, Czechoslovakia had good art supplies and writing and drafting equipment, Poland had superior shipbuilding.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

go outside dude the world isnt as bleak as the internet tells you it is.

actually, its worse

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

go outside dude the world isnt as bleak as the internet tells you it is.

Yeah. Saw some awesome little woodpeckers and kinda large flickers while out running. And with spring on the horizon, here comes a real good hiking season.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Phobos Anomaly posted:

I get very confused reactions from people all the time when I tell them that yes, I've been in the US and, no, I don't wanna go there again. This kind of poo poo is why.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Hungary also produced a lot of buses and the Czechs were known for their trams as well. It made sense, the issue is that during the 1970s a lot of bloc states started to access Western debt markets/IMF and got themselves in trouble and this would lead to the “squeeze” of the 1980s.

Arguably, the Soviets were still providing some cheap energy in exchange for these goods but it wasn’t enough on its own (Soviet oil production during the 70s was lagging as Baku’s production start to fall behind and the Western Siberian fields couldn’t fully compensate.)

tazjin posted:

I get very confused reactions from people all the time when I tell them that yes, I've been in the US and, no, I don't wanna go there again. This kind of poo poo is why.

I saw famous TV documentary Friends, America is land of dreams

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Mar 2, 2023

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1631311409173626881?s=20

It's gone (lol) but basically these "LWM" have been photographed near HIMARS, so not exactly some losers sitting in a barracks posting tiktoks

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 16:28 on Mar 2, 2023

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Bulgaria used to have an advanced electronics industry, perhaps the collapse of the bloc wasn’t such a great thing for the people living there.

Many Bulgarians have told me the anecdote of how the General Secretary of the party opened the first semiconductor forge in Bulgaria with a speech that contained the line "And I guarantee you, dear comrades, that next year we will start producing full conductors!"

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

speaking of Bulgaria its population has dropped by like 30% since the ussr collasped and continues to drop extremely quickly

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

HallelujahLee posted:

speaking of Bulgaria its population has dropped by like 30% since the ussr collasped and continues to drop extremely quickly

they're shaking off the hateful shackles of stalin and lenin by refuting their hate-filled anti-humanitarian gift of life spans to lovingly embrace pizza hut

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah. Saw some awesome little woodpeckers and kinda large flickers while out running. And with spring on the horizon, here comes a real good hiking season.

My cat was extremely chuffed to see some pigeons when I took him for a walk this morning

It's coming up on summer here, and that means some long pleasant bike rides ahead

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Go to any engineering firm in the West that deals with advanced technologies (think aerospace, electronics) and you'll probably find a bunch of ex Warsaw Pact people around the same age as senior technical management

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

one of the things that's really missing from these Ace Combat/Project Wingman type games is the ability to play with jet bombers

AC7 has the A-10, and that's about it
Project Wingman has the Su-25 Frogfoot, and that's about it

Tom Clancy's HAWX had the A-6 (I think) and the F-117, but that goes back to 2009 and I don't think you can even buy it legally anymore

everything else is just multi-role aircraft, like the F-4, the F/A-18, or the various different Su-27/35/37 derivatives

give me a game that let's me fly the Thud, the Skyraider, the MiG-25, hell, the B-1 Lancer was supposed to be a low-level, high-speed penetrator. Give me the Buccaneer, the Tornado, the Vulcan!!!

and, I get it, they don't like to give you purely mud-moving aircraft because these games/missions always assume that you're flying against fighter opposition, but it still feels like a missed opportunity. If it's going to be fantastical anyway and your Warthog can carry 80 missiles, why not assume that the TFX program succeeded and the Aardvark can shoot air-to-air?

fighter pilots make headlines, bomber pilots make history
https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Combat_6:_Fires_of_Liberation

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dawncloack posted:

Many Bulgarians have told me the anecdote of how the General Secretary of the party opened the first semiconductor forge in Bulgaria with a speech that contained the line "And I guarantee you, dear comrades, that next year we will start producing full conductors!"

Maybe the full conductors can be connected to the tubes with the internet in them and we can start cooking with some gas.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

that reminds me, I've been meaning to ask you: during grad school I remember this vivid example of a swedish king or maybe general charging into a battle no sane commander would have engaged with because the odds were so against him, but ended up winning decisively when the weather suddenly turned, which was given to illustrate the limits to prediction and the problem of acting on odds in intrinsically unpredictable systems. any idea what I'm talking about? it comes to mind a couple times a year and drives me batty until I forget again.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Maybe the full conductors can be connected to the tubes with the internet in them and we can start cooking with some gas.

That would be great, and I support connecting the full conductors to the internet tubes.

It's just that, well, the tubes for the gas were releasing magic blue smoke, couple of months back.

Can we use the Gas Chamber of the forums?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Zvahl posted:

they're shaking off the hateful shackles of stalin and lenin by refuting their hate-filled anti-humanitarian gift of life spans to lovingly embrace pizza hut

rest in piss turdachev

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/baoshaoshan/status/1631178365867823104

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zodium posted:

that reminds me, I've been meaning to ask you: during grad school I remember this vivid example of a swedish king or maybe general charging into a battle no sane commander would have engaged with because the odds were so against him, but ended up winning decisively when the weather suddenly turned, which was given to illustrate the limits to prediction and the problem of acting on odds in intrinsically unpredictable systems. any idea what I'm talking about? it comes to mind a couple times a year and drives me batty until I forget again.

Sounds like an anecdote about Carl Gustav.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

bedpan posted:

Poland had superior shipbuilding.

Didn't know their screen door technology was so advanced

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Hey, this was called SouthWest africa under apartheid right?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tankbuster posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herero_and_Namaqua_genocide

opps

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

It had previously been German South West Africa as well.

^ and yeah, their colonial administration is notorious.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

that doesnt really narrow it down much, the current king is #16

I would guess its Gustav Adolf though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

So OP in BF Bad Company

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Like Gustavus Adolphus is (supposedly, i dunno?) credited with creating modern warfare/combined arms so if it's about going against the book it'd probably be him

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

why was there so many polish jokes in the 1980s? it was kind of strange looking back on it from now

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Zodium posted:

probably the Battle of Narva

tl;dr: swedish force is outnumbered something like 4:1, decides to attack anyway, just before contact there's a sudden blizzard, the russians can't see poo poo for all the snow and wind in their eyes and get routed by swedish shock attacks*

*they didn't offer them anything to eat

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zodium posted:

could be charles xii at the battle of narva

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
edit:

Comrade Koba posted:

probably the Battle of Narva

tl;dr: swedish force is outnumbered something like 4:1, decides to attack anyway, just before contact there's a sudden blizzard, the russians can't see poo poo for all the snow and wind in their eyes and get routed by swedish shock attacks

ah that's gotta be it