Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SlowBloke posted:

Keep in mind that 2000C have been in service until very recently with several modernization programs. In some respects, it might be more modern avionic-wise than some F16 options that were suggested some time ago.

I suspect most of the F-16s being offered are about on par avionics wise, we used up a lot of legacy F-16s as target drones, most of the ones in the fleet that will likely be given to Ukraine probably went through at least two modernizaitons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The Mirage could just be used as launch platform for long range weapons like Storm Shadow.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You guys keep saying Storm Shadow, and I keep picturing a GI Joe SkyStriker inserting a White clad Ninja from a drop tank.

What is the Storm Shadow.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Baconroll posted:

The Mirage could just be used as launch platform for long range weapons like Storm Shadow.

Some Mirages can also carry ASMP if we want to play with spicy rocks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-sol_moyenne_port%C3%A9e

zone
Dec 6, 2016

bulletsponge13 posted:

You guys keep saying Storm Shadow, and I keep picturing a GI Joe SkyStriker inserting a White clad Ninja from a drop tank.

What is the Storm Shadow.

350 mile/560 kilometre long range fire and forget preprogrammed cruise missile.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

zone posted:

"Stealth" is the interesting word missing here.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
digging the dirigible aesthetic tbh

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

So a white clad ninja dropped from a flying tank, close enough.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

stealie72 posted:

Could be Putin, continuing to fight the last war (3 wars ago?), trying to sway public opinion by trying to convince Russians that Ukrainians are coming for them at home, as though everyone isn't watching the war live online?

it's my understanding that the russian public is trying their hardest to not know what's happening in the war

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

This thread has liked a UK air warfare YouTube channel a couple times and seems to think positively of it. They had a video a while back talking about how even though AUF and Russia are operating the same airframes the Russians have more modern radars and EW capabilities, giving a noticeable advantage an air to air engagements. I think they specifically called out Russian radar as able to simultaneously scan and target, scan and target at a greater angle off flight path, and also able to target lock Ukranian aircraft using low enough power it might not trigger Ukrainian missile lock warning sensors.

I would hope that even if these are older airframes they might have better electronics than Ukraine currently has. Given the small numbers and the extensive ground based air defense I doubt this would suddenly open the skys up to Ukraine. But a small group of planes that neutralizes Russia's electronics advantage could maybe be a critical edge in say protecting a specific offensive maneuver from Russian airpower?

E: also I think more western aircraft in general will make it easier of Ukraine to use western supplied air to air and air to ground weapons?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_while_scan

Here's the term you are speaking of and the wiki article on it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

zone posted:

This is a pretty good overview of the history and performance of Stormshadow.
https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2022/11/storm-shadow/

Note the photo of the destroyed Iraqi bridge.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Soylent Pudding posted:

This thread has liked a UK air warfare YouTube channel a couple times and seems to think positively of it. They had a video a while back talking about how even though AUF and Russia are operating the same airframes the Russians have more modern radars and EW capabilities, giving a noticeable advantage an air to air engagements. I think they specifically called out Russian radar as able to simultaneously scan and target, scan and target at a greater angle off flight path, and also able to target lock Ukranian aircraft using low enough power it might not trigger Ukrainian missile lock warning sensors.

A big factor in air-to-air warfare is in the missiles, and Russia has newer and more capable missiles. Russian air defenses have forced Ukrainian jets low, while Russian jets have been pushed up and away to stay out of range of Ukrainian defenses. This leaves AFU firing up at RU planes firing down, giving Russian jets a kinetic advantage. On top of that the Russians have active homing missiles that turn on a radar at the end of their run, freeing the launching aircraft to turn away to evade incoming fire. The Ukrainians have to point their noses at Russian jets for the entire flight time of the missile, that is much riskier.

Because of these two factors, if two jets shoot a missile at each other, the Russian jet can freely turn away to evade while the Ukrainian missile will miss if the launching plane has to evade.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Thanks for the explanations! My other question is whether something like these Mirages and presumably western missiles would negate some of those advantages? Though for the full answer I'd probably have to ask on the war thunder forums.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

A big factor in air-to-air warfare is in the missiles, and Russia has newer and more capable missiles. Russian air defenses have forced Ukrainian jets low, while Russian jets have been pushed up and away to stay out of range of Ukrainian defenses. This leaves AFU firing up at RU planes firing down, giving Russian jets a kinetic advantage. On top of that the Russians have active homing missiles that turn on a radar at the end of their run, freeing the launching aircraft to turn away to evade incoming fire. The Ukrainians have to point their noses at Russian jets for the entire flight time of the missile, that is much riskier.

Because of these two factors, if two jets shoot a missile at each other, the Russian jet can freely turn away to evade while the Ukrainian missile will miss if the launching plane has to evade.

Russia isn't flying high either. They are just flying out of range and normally staying in Belarus and Russian airspace even during missile strikes.

If they got close enough to Ukraines border, Ukraine does have SAMs capable of hitting them. Russia is also flying just like Ukraine, low and tight inside Ukraine's border for the same reason Ukraine does.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eh. It would give parity in some ways but still be at a disadvantage. Plus all the long range SAMs etc are still a factor.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It seemed like Russia might have an edge in a 1v1 dogfight but the ten thousand anti-aircraft systems floating around, plus a lack of ability to easily replace airframes, keeps Russia from exercising this the way we think of it (because we're used to the US doing it in Iraq/Afghanistan).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

It seemed like Russia might have an edge in a 1v1 dogfight but the ten thousand anti-aircraft systems floating around, plus a lack of ability to easily replace airframes, keeps Russia from exercising this the way we think of it (because we're used to the US doing it in Iraq/Afghanistan).

Russia could easily probably take down the Ukraine air force if they wanted to, but they are playing it cautious for the exact reason you mentioned.

Hajotus Maximus
Feb 19, 2011

Set posted:

Author: Mika Mäkeläinen
Release date: 28.02.23
Link to untranslated article: https://yle.fi/a/74-20019659

The high-ranking officer interviewed here is 100% a dude , who spent most of his time as a major and was then promoted to lt.colonel right before retirement. Lacking the necessary communication skills to get their message across and then complaining that people aren't listening to him makes it pretty obvious.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

CommieGIR posted:

Russia could easily probably take down the Ukraine air force if they wanted to, but they are playing it cautious for the exact reason you mentioned.

I'm under the impression that the biggest issue keeping the Russian air force inactive is the danger posed by friendly fire from their own SAMs.

I guess anything that improves Ukraine's suppression of enemy air defense capabilities is welcome at this point.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised we haven't seen much drone Wild Weasel operations. One would think someone would by now have cobbled together a target drone that presented a similar radar cross section to a Su-25, with the capability to send home the coordinates of the radar painting it.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1631049970378854402

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I am probably wrong in my analysis, and it might be the tradition of Slavic Stubbornness, but I get the feeling Ukrainian Intelligence has good intel that this push for Bahkmet is more make or break for the Russian effort than it seems.

I just can't imagine the completely brain dead tactics of repeatedly running face first into mine field and arty to take the rubble that used to be a city.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Well, there's a load of them getting pretty thorough training up in various unpleasant parts of the UK. I guess maybe not 100% but 10,000 every 120 days seems significant, and that's just one country.

https://rusi.org/events/open-to-all/british-armys-contribution-training-ukrainian-forces

Not that it's necessarily related but this attack has excellent TTPs
https://twitter.com/PaulJawin/status/1631189395356131332?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

knox_harrington posted:

Well, there's a load of them getting pretty thorough training up in various unpleasant parts of the UK. I guess maybe not 100% but 10,000 every 120 days seems significant, and that's just one country.

https://rusi.org/events/open-to-all/british-armys-contribution-training-ukrainian-forces

That's a pretty well coordinated assault.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

knox_harrington posted:

What are TTPs?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

That NYT article about Vuhledar stars a self-taught tank commander so…yeah, tracks

The difference is probably that some dudes ARE getting training and also that the AFU isn’t mulching their conscripts in failed human wave attacks, so some of them are surviving long enough to get good (like the self-taught tank ace)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

What are TTPs?

Tactics, techniques, procedures. Army shorthand for all the things that go into a successful assault (in infantry context).

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Vengarr posted:

That NYT article about Vuhledar stars a self-taught tank commander so…yeah, tracks

The difference is probably that some dudes ARE getting training and also that the AFU isn’t mulching their conscripts in failed human wave attacks, so some of them are surviving long enough to get good (like the self-taught tank ace)

Honestly with all the articles and news of how difficult it was to hold the ruins of Bakhmut, I thought there would be worse casualties for the AFU than they spoke of. It could have been far worse than this.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Subjunctive posted:

What are TTPs?

Sorry: Tactics, Techniques and Procedures. The infantry rapidly dismount and form a baseline directed towards the enemy so they are difficult to hit and can get a weight of fire down if needed. Everything is pretty slick.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, I think also that article mentioned their A list tank commanders are away getting Abrams/Leopard training.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Icon Of Sin posted:

Tactics, techniques, procedures. Army shorthand for all the things that go into a successful assault (in infantry context).

knox_harrington posted:

Sorry: Tactics, Techniques and Procedures. The infantry rapidly dismount and form a baseline directed towards the enemy so they are difficult to hit and can get a weight of fire down if needed. Everything is pretty slick.

Thank you both!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

knox_harrington posted:

Why does the armor pull back? Are the guns mounted on m113s not useful in a situation like this, so it's better to just not be a target for anti armor weapons?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Not much information in there, they're not stating if the 101st was reconstituted. Might have been the case. Good luck to the new guys.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Slugworth posted:

Why does the armor pull back? Are the guns mounted on m113s not useful in a situation like this, so it's better to just not be a target for anti armor weapons?

that and it's a big visible metal box that says "hey all our guys are right here"

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slugworth posted:

Uber drivers need to get the fares in during surge periods!

They probably aren't going to provide fire support themselves, that should be pre-positioned off to a side already so it's suppressing the target at an oblique angle. I feel like I'd want something bigger than a 50 cal in this context, probably mortars providing a steady rate.

Firing over the top of the advancing inf is not a great idea. As previously said, they're also pulling a lot of attention to the spot the dismounts are at, so best clear the area.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 2, 2023

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
So apparently before damaging that A-50, the Belarusian partisans just casually landed a drone on it's radar disk and then flew back out, recording the whole thing. That seems... not great in terms of base security.

ETA: Not linking the video directly, because it's in that one weird subreddit filled with combat footage and I don't know how to link only the video.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Russia isn't flying high either. They are just flying out of range and normally staying in Belarus and Russian airspace even during missile strikes.

If they got close enough to Ukraines border, Ukraine does have SAMs capable of hitting them. Russia is also flying just like Ukraine, low and tight inside Ukraine's border for the same reason Ukraine does.

Russian tactical strike aircraft are lobbing rockets and flying low. Russian CAP aircraft can orbit at altitude over friendly ground and look down on the FLOT with advanced air to air radars and missiles, while staying away from SAM fire.

Russian air to air jets enjoy a significant advantage over Ukrainian aircraft.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Loezi posted:

So apparently before damaging that A-50, the Belarusian partisans just casually landed a drone on it's radar disk and then flew back out, recording the whole thing. That seems... not great in terms of base security.

ETA: Not linking the video directly, because it's in that one weird subreddit filled with combat footage and I don't know how to link only the video.

https://twitter.com/AlexBondODUA/status/1631303676043165696

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/faineg/status/1631319179931578368
This is going to suck hard for Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Thank you both!

Incidentally that's where the infosec usage of the term is borrowed from. More terms are borrowed from military terminology like C2 for example.