Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Well.... sometimes these clouds are red. And sometimes, they are green! Sometimes, they are red and green!

Seriously, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

buttcoins come and go, but everyone needs some duct tape from time to time [tapping_head.jpg]

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

putin is a oval office posted:

please stop encouraging ghost titty to post ffs

Hey!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Oh, it's that time again already?

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
https://twitter.com/Cryptadamist/status/1631076767438979079?t=OCFrrp7_pGSKoivyaWf9pw&s=19

Silvergate going down?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

UMNMMMGGHH gently caress YES

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
"Disruptive innovation" appears to mean when you make something bad that goes wrong and wastes everyone's time and money, then say we all learned a valuable lesson but don't really.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Mindless posted:

"Disruptive innovation" appears to mean when you make something bad that goes wrong and wastes everyone's time and money, then say we all learned a valuable lesson but don't really.

half the time "disruptive innovation" just means "how can we break into an existing industry and offer a product that turns out to be worse, but only after we've blown a ton of venture capital money to drive the competition out of business by undercutting them on price"

the other half of the time it means "how can we soak some venture capitalists by telling them such good investor bedtime stories that they fail to realize we do not actually have a business model"

and the other half of the time it just means "what if we just pretended laws don't exist, I bet we could dominate an industry if we just pretended laws and regulations don't exist"

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

that's three halves.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Astrochicken posted:

that's three halves.

:bitcoin:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

He's *disrupting* fractions.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

orange juche posted:

no, its funny watching ghost titty posting, they always come out with incomprehensible graphs and predictions like charlie from always sunny coked up and screaming about pepe silvia

it's an obvious zero-effort troll and it derails the thread every time

it was funny at first but it's the same joke now told a hundred times

conversely, titty_baby_'s posts should be afforded your utmost attention and given the careful reading and awed reverence that they deserve

do not confuse them

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 2, 2023

drk
Jan 16, 2005
a tale in two tweets

https://twitter.com/coinbase/status/1631284093378756611

https://twitter.com/business/status/1631302171126800386

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So what's silvergate? I haven't heard of this one.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When they say funds are safe, you know they mean it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Silvergate is a real bank. Member FDIC and everything.

But their customers are mostly crypto firms.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

The one american bank willing to let bitcoin companies do business with them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

it's a bank, whose primary business was crypto companies

soon it may have been a bank

Boxturret posted:

The one american bank willing to let bitcoin companies do business with them.

:wrong:

one of two american banks, the other one looks wobbly too

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
The fact that not everyone involved in crypto has realized that "your money is definitely safe with us" translates to "any money stored with us will be gone in less than a week" by now is amazing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Paladinus posted:

When they say funds are safe, you know they mean it.
If we're losing one of the spigots allowing funds into and out of the market, you might say the funds have never been safer.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Offler posted:

The fact that not everyone involved in crypto has realized that "your money is definitely safe with us" translates to "any money stored with us will be gone in less than a week" by now is amazing.

You mean gone by last week.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Bitcoin: Unbanking the Banks

drk
Jan 16, 2005
For a little more info, Silvergate filed with the SEC a notice they would be unable to file their 10-K (annual report) on time.

They expanded on why here (bolding mine):

quote:

As reported in the press release furnished as Exhibit 99.1 to the Company’s Current Report on Form 8-K dated January 17, 2023 (the "Earnings Release"), the Company’s preliminary, unaudited financial results for the fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2022, included a net loss attributable to common shareholders for the year ended December 31, 2022 of $948.7 million compared to net income available to common shareholders of $75.5 million for the year ended December 31, 2021. Subsequent to December 31, 2022, a number of circumstances have occurred which will negatively impact the timing and the unaudited results previously reported in the Earnings Release, including the sale of additional investment securities beyond what was previously anticipated and disclosed in the Earnings Release primarily to repay in full the Company’s outstanding advances from the Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco. The Company sold additional debt securities in January and February 2023 and expects to record further losses related to the other-than-temporary impairment on the securities portfolio. These additional losses will negatively impact the regulatory capital ratios of the Company and the Company's wholly owned subsidiary, Silvergate Bank (the "Bank"), and could result in the Company and the Bank being less than well-capitalized. In addition, the Company is evaluating the impact that these subsequent events have on its ability to continue as a going concern for the twelve months following the issuance of its financial statements. The Company is currently in the process of reevaluating its businesses and strategies in light of the business and regulatory challenges it currently faces.

Basically FTX and others left them with huge losses last year, leaving them potentially "less than well capitalized", which is not a statement you want to be making as a bank. "Other-than-temporary impairment on the securities portfolio" is also a masterful turn of phrase since what it actually means is many of their customers recently went bankrupt after losing a massive of money in the course of doing various crimes.

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
Your funds are not safe, your funds are safu. Knowing the difference is what distinguishes the rugpuller from the bagholder.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

All that feels like it's pretty good for bitcoin though....

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Satchel and Trunk posted:

Your funds are not safe, your funds are safu. Knowing the difference is what distinguishes the rugpuller from the bagholder.

Someone once said that safu was an acronym for Stolen Away From Us, which has proven to be accurate

Boxturret fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 2, 2023

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
he's not dead, he just has a other-than-temporary impairment on his cardiovascular portfolio

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

You know it's safu when the financial disclosures read like rejected newspeak terms :discourse:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

drk posted:

For a little more info, Silvergate filed with the SEC a notice they would be unable to file their 10-K (annual report) on time.

They expanded on why here (bolding mine):

Basically FTX and others left them with huge losses last year, leaving them potentially "less than well capitalized", which is not a statement you want to be making as a bank. "Other-than-temporary impairment on the securities portfolio" is also a masterful turn of phrase since what it actually means is many of their customers recently went bankrupt after losing a massive of money in the course of doing various crimes.

quote:

including the sale of additional investment securities beyond what was previously anticipated and disclosed in the Earnings Release primarily to repay in full the Company’s outstanding advances from the Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco.

Sounds like they had to quickly repay loans that they shouldn't have taken.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Boxturret posted:

Bitcoin: Unbanking the Banks

Bankrupting the unbankrupt.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Imagine having a quasi-monopolistic license to skim real money off of crypto scum just by passing USD numbers to and fro, then losing a billion in the process.
They took in funny money and put it on their books as collateral, didn't they :ohdear:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

there are so many bitcoin endeavours where they should logically just be able to sit back and make money off the nofees, yet bitcoin creates a field that causes people to do the dumbest thing possible

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Boxturret posted:

there are so many bitcoin endeavours where they should logically just be able to sit back and make money off the nofees, yet bitcoin creates a field that causes people to do the dumbest thing possible

It's very easy all they have to do is not touch crypto. But they're run by degenerate gamblers who decide to hang onto USD, buy crypto with it and call it money, then lose all the crypto and the USD.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

Imagine having a quasi-monopolistic license to skim real money off of crypto scum just by passing USD numbers to and fro, then losing a billion in the process.
They took in funny money and put it on their books as collateral, didn't they :ohdear:

nah it's a fundamental flaw with their business model

remember: how a bank works is it takes "on demand" deposits (you can withdraw at any time) and invests those in illiquid assets that cannot be sold immediately (think home mortgages) but thus pay a higher interest rate. as long as it manages its liquidity and can always satisfy withdrawals without panic-selling, all is well

but if a ton of deposits suddenly leave the bank, those illiquid assets have to be sold, they can't be sold for their "true" value, and whoops your solvent bank is now insolvent because you had to sell a dollar bill for 90c to meet withdrawals. this is why a bank run can kill a solvent bank.

by being "a crypto bank" they ensured that when crypto went to poo poo, suddenly all of their deposits would vanish in something that looks exactly like a run on the bank, and has the same "whoops and now we are insolvent" effect. any bank that made crypto a significant amount of their deposits will also face similar "whoops, automatic bank run, we're insolvent" problems

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

CZ yoinked $400M out of Silvergate 2 weeks ago.

He also sold off all his FTX bucks right before FTX crashed. Silvergate laid off 40% of their staff in January.

You can probably guess where I'm going with this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Trillhouse posted:

CZ yoinked $400M out of Silvergate 2 weeks ago.

He also sold off all his FTX bucks right before FTX crashed. Silvergate laid off 40% of their staff in January.

You can probably guess where I'm going with this.

this is CZ yoinking $400m out of silvergate in 2021, it has nothing to do with silvergate's solvency (or lack thereof) today

the story you linked is not that it went out of silvergate. it's that it went out of "we are definitely not just a shell company for Binance" Binance.US's bank accounts, without anyone asking anyone at Binance.US or even telling them it was going to happen

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Bankrupting the unbankrupt.

Bankrupting the unbanked.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Zero One posted:

quote:

including the sale of additional investment securities beyond what was previously anticipated and disclosed in the Earnings Release primarily to repay in full the Company’s outstanding advances from the Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco.
Sounds like they had to quickly repay loans that they shouldn't have taken.
I love that "we might have to put in our 10K that we're probably going out of business" is not even the most eyebrow-raising part of that release. lol, lmao, etc

I just checked and their auditors (at least as of last year) are Crowe, which is a respectable large-but-not-Big-4 firm that has presumably realized that it no longer wants any part of this poo poo without a whole lot of extra rear end-covering performed in plain view of God, the SEC, and the PCAOB

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

it's a bank, whose primary business was crypto companies

soon it may have been a bank

:wrong:

one of two american banks, the other one looks wobbly too

what is the other bank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spazzle posted:

The early social media sites (Friendster, MySpace) were so popular they became unusable at peak hours.
The Something Awful forums could crash Geocities sites at the rate of 50 per day back in 2001 before the big influx of members during the file sharing Bit Torrent Barnyard days.