Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Rookoo posted:

Does anyone know if Debian Linux supports/has drivers for the SD card slot?

I occasionally need to use it on a laptop for project work and it would be one more thing the deck could replace/one less device to lug around if so.

The kernel that ships with the stable distribution has the sdhci-* modules included, so it should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ottergauze
Dec 11, 2022

ottergauze posted:

I received my Killswitch case today only to realise that, after applying the skin and case, that it doesn't give enough room for the connector on the official dock. Otherwise the case is fantastic, and I'd sorely regret sending it back, but I play with it docked a lot, so this is a major issue. Maybe I was a sucker buying the official dock, I don't know, I'm just sorely disappointed. I've contacted them to see what the best approach is here, I'm even willing to take a file to it and slowly but surely carve a perfect groove into the material, but the fact I need to do that at all is frustrating. Not sure who okayed this, and why they didn't mention it on the store page.

ottergauze posted:

Probably. Two things though - I want to make sure the one I'm getting is reliable, actually, 3.2 Gen 2, and that it's small enough to not strain the cable too much. I shouldn't have to do this, and I'm thinking about maybe filing a groove into the thing manually to accommodate, which I also shouldn't have to do.

I just decided to buy a short 10cm female to male USB-C adapter from Amazon. One designed for the Switch, Amazon has a pretty good refund policy so I haven't got much to lose.

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
Is there a way to play old games like Fallout 1, Arcanum and Deus Ex 1? I assume it would kind of control like a steam controller if I got them running?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yep, you can download community controller profiles.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pooperscooper posted:

Is there a way to play old games like Fallout 1, Arcanum and Deus Ex 1? I assume it would kind of control like a steam controller if I got them running?
This thing is literally Steam Controller 2 (well, "Steam Controller Neptune" in the device list). If you used a Steam Controller and know how that stuff worked then you're gonna be right at home.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Looks like someone else is trying to compete with Nreal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC6Wnallbqw

They have a battery pack that you can strap to your Deck which also allows you to plug in 2 of these glasses for 2 people to play together. Pretty slick.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I recently did a GOG replay of Arcanum and can't really imagine playing it with a controller at all

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

loquacius posted:

I recently did a GOG replay of Arcanum and can't really imagine playing it with a controller at all
Why?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I didn’t even think of replaying fallout or arcanum on a deck, I need to get a full keyboard now I guess.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's not a game I can't imagine not being playable with a Steam Controller/The Dreck. Like, their goal making the thing was a controller that you could keep up in a game of Dota 2 with. I don't think anyone would prefer to play Dota that way but you can absolutely do it.

A turn based point and click RPG like Arcanum, is not a problem.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

anything where you have to type prompts is a nightmare

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That's what's keeping me from trying out Lingo, which looks great.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I bought Terraria for Switch and its way too small to play handheld, both on Switch Lite and the OG. Deck's screen is the size of the entire Switch Lite but I can't imagine its much better.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

The virtual keyboard sure needs a revamp. They should remove the background that fills half of the screen, make the buttons slightly transparent and speed it (and all other menues) up alot for it to be even viable.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
BG:EE works well with controller on Switch & I'm still slightly annoyed they didn't just move that to PC. Stick moves you around, you have an interact button, etc.

Pillars is similar, but I get that the 3rd party port company added that in for Switch & it wasn't something Obsidian did.

I know you can set up controller layout but that extra step will take me like a whole 2 or 3 minutes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Beastie posted:

I bought Terraria for Switch and its way too small to play handheld, both on Switch Lite and the OG. Deck's screen is the size of the entire Switch Lite but I can't imagine its much better.

I think it's great, personally, but I can imagine going from a large screen to a handheld is hard to do.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

It rolls a dice to decide if the device can connect in gaming mode and it spins a wheel to decide if the device can connect in desktop mode.

When I connect my controller in desktop mode, the LEDs light up differently, as if to say coyly "you've properly turned me on." And it seems like in desktop when you connect a controller it's "locked" to slot 1. In gaming mode it seems agnostic and will change slots whenever. maybe when it loses signal for a second, it tries to connect to slot 2 because 1 is supposed to be in use, which causes the pairing to pail.

I've found that if I've forgotten and re-paired my controller, quit playing then turn the deck on again, the controller will repair--once, and only if the blue LED on the controller happens to still be on. God knows what it's meant to indicate. I think that light is sometimes on while the controller is actually asleep.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

jokes posted:

I think it's great, personally, but I can imagine going from a large screen to a handheld is hard to do.

I bought it because my nephew wanted me to play it with him and I had to say "I'm too old, I can't read any of this" on the Switch. Glad you're enjoying it on Deck!

Speak of "games where you dig down" I grabbed Noita and it plays extremely well on handheld Deck. It uses a 360 degree aiming gimmick that works wonderfully with both the trackpad and the right stick. I like this game a lot.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imaginary Friend posted:

The virtual keyboard sure needs a revamp. They should remove the background that fills half of the screen, make the buttons slightly transparent and speed it (and all other menues) up alot for it to be even viable.

making it somewhat transparent is a great idea.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think there are transparent custom keyboard themes. Decky ftw yet again

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

there's nothing stopping you from connecting a bluetooth keyboard while it's docked.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't have a bluetooth keyboard and i'm not playing docked ever!!!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That's what's keeping me from trying out Lingo, which looks great.

Lingo doesn't play well on the Deck unfortunately. Biggest issues are joystick sensitivity not being changeable in-game, and keyboard reliance. Yes, you can just use a docked KBM I imagine (and use Steam Controls to address the other stuff if you're dead-set on playing Lingo mobile).

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 2, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Well I managed to make a good control scheme for terraria, using the official terraria steam input and just modifying the games controls directly in a text editor. Its much better now, still a bit rough but I really enjoy it.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

sigher posted:

Looks like someone else is trying to compete with Nreal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC6Wnallbqw

They have a battery pack that you can strap to your Deck which also allows you to plug in 2 of these glasses for 2 people to play together. Pretty slick.

Diopter adjustment is really nice, too (tho I don't think that corrects astigmati as m). I didn't get a complete answer from the video, but if the dock will actually let you use these with the switch that is a huge advantage. Edit: their site says it will but id really have to see it in practice first. Oof, $600 is a bit tough, but this looks good and I'm glad there's competition here now. I know TCL is releasing theirs, too.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 2, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

please do not post AI art here

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I really enjoy my nreal so I'm happy to see more products hopefully from companies with bigger dev teams.

I'd also like to see higher resolutions but dunno if the focal distance issue is going to be the same on all of them. Nreal is actually set pretty far away so it's tougher on people with worse eyes like me that isn't easily solved with just prescription inserts

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Public props to generous goon Subjunctive for MGSV. Thanks :glomp: You certainly didn't have to but I'm thankful nonetheless that you did.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Public props to generous goon Subjunctive for MGSV. Thanks :glomp: You certainly didn't have to but I'm thankful nonetheless that you did.

My pleasure—enjoy!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vegastar posted:

If it doesn't work off the bat there should be some Steam Input control defaults for emudeck, one of them should be for cemu to do the mappings.

VibrantDeck is nice for making the screen nice and poppy.
ProtonDB badges are handy for seeing how 'unsupported' some of the stuff in your library is.
SteamGridDB if you give a poo poo about changing your game art, adding poo poo to non-steam games and generally prettying up your library.
EmuDeck hotkeys is nice if you're doing a lot of emulated stuff to look up what everything is mapped to in the different emulators.
What is this? Are you sure you have the name right? Searching on the Decky store and even a quick Google doesn't turn anything relevant.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

What is this? Are you sure you have the name right? Searching on the Decky store and even a quick Google doesn't turn anything relevant.

I don’t know if the name is right or not but you can install it from within the emudeck installer thing under tools and whatnot

None of those are the right names either, but my deck is downstairs and I just don’t wanna get up right now

You can find it, I believe in you

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

ottergauze posted:

I received my Killswitch case today only to realise that, after applying the skin and case, that it doesn't give enough room for the connector on the official dock. Otherwise the case is fantastic, and I'd sorely regret sending it back, but I play with it docked a lot, so this is a major issue. Maybe I was a sucker buying the official dock, I don't know, I'm just sorely disappointed. I've contacted them to see what the best approach is here, I'm even willing to take a file to it and slowly but surely carve a perfect groove into the material, but the fact I need to do that at all is frustrating. Not sure who okayed this, and why they didn't mention it on the store page.

They do! Did you not get the package they sent out when the magnet case turned out to cause certain fans to have issues? It comes with an extender to the USB-C and a plastic doohickey that keeps the cased deck secure in the official dock. You may want to contact support, mine came with both.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Commander Keene posted:

https://github.com/EmuDeck/emudeck-decky-controls

I forgot this wasn’t on the store. I don’t remember doing it from GitHub though - it might be one of the optional installs in EmuDeck itself. I’d have to double check.

EDIT: yep, it’s in the tools & stuff menu in EmuDeck on desktop.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 3, 2023

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

I really enjoy my nreal so I'm happy to see more products hopefully from companies with bigger dev teams.

I'd also like to see higher resolutions but dunno if the focal distance issue is going to be the same on all of them. Nreal is actually set pretty far away so it's tougher on people with worse eyes like me that isn't easily solved with just prescription inserts

I really want that switch dock mostly. A battery dock isn't exactly specialized and you can charge and play on the deck with the nreals with the right accessories. The nreals with the Rx insert is also little heavy on my nose but I don't think these new ones would be different even with the adjustment.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

What Decky Plugins are generally recommended?

if you're running emulators powertools is pretty critical to making some of em run as smooth as possible

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 3, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Apparently installing stuff on SteamOS is kinda weird and hacky compared to a typical Linux distro:

https://blogs.igalia.com/berto/2022/09/13/adding-software-to-the-steam-deck-with-systemd-sysext/

Idk why apps generally don't show up searching discover for a specific name. maybe there's lots not in that system

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Discover only has flatpaks, there's nothing hacky about that its just still just slightly atypical enough that not everything gets distributed that way. You can also go to an app's website to see if they have an appimage, if its not there its not there though. Wouldn't suggest unlocking root and installing arch packages or any of the incredibly arcane poo poo written on that blog, unless you know what you're doing.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Anyone tried this hub as a dock? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLNDNBG1

The official dock is about 150 USD where I am and I'm not gonna take advantage of the better Ethernet anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you're planning on hooking it up to a 4k tv, that one is only 4k30. Otherwise they're all pretty much the same poo poo