Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe it was a local to PA thing as there was huge amounts of polish immigration here in the 20th century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
see, i didn't want to guess charles xii because of you, the implication

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

eh, dude was (probably) gay as gently caress and also legalized the practice of islam and judaism in sweden. pretty cool in my book.´

edit: then again he was besties with a political ukrainian :whitewater:

Comrade Koba has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Mar 2, 2023

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
didnt know that and will adjust to it

only really know of him from neo-nazi types who idolize him and various youtube channels who do lovely history videos of war

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

fanfic insert posted:

didnt know that and will adjust to it

only really know of him from neo-nazi types who idolize him and various youtube channels who do lovely history videos of war

the neo-nazis idolizing him is a bit funny since he was a huge turkophile

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1631251030556934149

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

fanfic insert posted:

James VI/I was gay as gently caress and conservatives go around licking his rear end in a top hat because of the bible he commissioned to try and calm their hysterical asses down

you can have a singular opinion on all monarchs as long as it's the right one, it's fine

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Comrade Koba posted:

probably the Battle of Narva

tl;dr: swedish force is outnumbered something like 4:1, decides to attack anyway, just before contact there's a sudden blizzard, the russians can't see poo poo for all the snow and wind in their eyes and get routed by swedish shock attacks*

*they didn't offer them anything to eat

Cerebral Bore posted:

could be charles xii at the battle of narva

:tipshat:

tyvm, that's exactly it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

imagine, just IMAGINE being german and lecturing the namibians about chinese investment when you did poo poo like this to them in the past

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herero_and_Namaqua_genocide

quote:

The Herero genocide has commanded the attention of historians who study complex issues of continuity between the Herero genocide and The Holocaust.[105] It is argued that the Herero genocide set a precedent in Imperial Germany that would later be followed by Nazi Germany's establishment of death camps.[106][107]

According to Benjamin Madley, the German experience in South West Africa was a crucial precursor to Nazi colonialism and genocide. He argues that personal connections, literature, and public debates served as conduits for communicating colonialist and genocidal ideas and methods from the colony to Germany.[108] Tony Barta, an honorary research associate at La Trobe University, argues that the Herero genocide was an inspiration for Hitler in his war against the Jews, Slavs, Romani, and others who he described as "non-Aryans".[109]

According to Clarence Lusane, Eugen Fischer's medical experiments can be seen as a testing ground for medical procedures which were later followed during the Nazi Holocaust.[77] Fischer later became chancellor of the University of Berlin, where he taught medicine to Nazi physicians. Otmar Freiherr von Verschuer was a student of Fischer, Verschuer himself had a prominent pupil, Josef Mengele.[110][111] Franz Ritter von Epp, who was later responsible for the liquidation of virtually all Bavarian Jews and Roma as governor of Bavaria, took part in the Herero and Nama genocide as well.[112]

Mahmood Mamdani argues that the links between the Herero genocide and the Holocaust are beyond the execution of an annihilation policy and the establishment of concentration camps and there are also ideological similarities in the conduct of both genocides. Focusing on a written statement by General Trotha which is translated as:

I destroy the African tribes with streams of blood ... Only following this cleansing can something new emerge, which will remain.[21]: 174 
Mamdani takes note of the similarity between the aims of the General and the Nazis. According to Mamdani, in both cases there was a Social Darwinist notion of "cleansing", after which "something new" would "emerge".[58]: 12 

white people are satan

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Al-Saqr posted:

imagine, just IMAGINE being german and lecturing the namibians about chinese investment when you did poo poo like this to them in the past

white people are satan

you don't understand, they're so perfidious!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
there are a lot of german tourists in namibia.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

white people are satan

hmm

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1631333250458058753?s=20

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

How common is it for soldier to have instruments around? Do soldier carry stuff like that in their kit?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

One RDK commander—named only as Denis—told Russia's Vot Tak TV in August 2022 that its soldiers are selected based on their political outlook, with the unit subscribing to right-wing ideology. Vot Tak said fighters have been known to use symbols of the World War II-era Russian Liberation Army, which collaborated with Nazi Germany and fought against the Soviet Union.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
drat, i guess the libs were right about russia also having nazis

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Can I donate my 401k to the Ukrainian Armed Forces?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

supersnowman posted:

How common is it for soldier to have instruments around? Do soldier carry stuff like that in their kit?

Always be ready to job change to bard to provide buffs to party

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Always be ready to job change to bard to provide buffs to party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd0M1IBwpyM&t=20s

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
So Russian Nazis (how) fighting for Ukraine infiltrated and attacked Russian civilians. Putin may go apeshit

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Death By The Blues posted:

So Russian Nazis (how) fighting for Ukraine infiltrated and attacked Russian civilians. Putin may go apeshit

What's he gonna do? Invade ukraine?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RESCAwRKvck&t=4949s

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Czechs were known for their trams as well.

so Czechs are dwarves?

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

maybe it was a local to PA thing as there was huge amounts of polish immigration here in the 20th century

Nah we had those in Sask, usually a Ukrainian-Polish saying it to a Polish-Ukrainian.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Vultures
Readout of Deputy Secretary Graves’ and Secretary Granholm’s Meeting with Ukraine’s Minister of Energy German Galushchenko

www.commerce.gov posted:

ZAGREB – Today, U.S. Deputy Secretary of Commerce Don Graves and U.S. Secretary of Energy Jennifer Granholm met with Ukrainian Minister of Energy German Galushchenko to express the U.S. Government’s ongoing support for Ukraine and its strong commitment to engaging the U.S. private sector in reconstructing Ukraine’s infrastructure. The Deputy Secretary noted that the Department of Commerce is working across the U.S. government, including with the Department of Energy, as well as outside of government with the U.S. private sector, to marshal resources to meet Ukraine’s energy infrastructure needs.
Nice touch that he's named German!

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Comrade Koba posted:

on the other hand, why the gently caress would you want to go to any of those places?

edit: is it because warhammer poo poo is cheaper there?

America has Tennessee, which has Great Smoky Mountain Natl Park. It's a gorgeous place.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the USA is incredibly beautiful in many places

lots of the rural areas. just don’t get shot I guess

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
you can just look at pretty pictures of the pretty places and not go to them to see the horrible people that live there

i grew up in wyoming and you won't get me back to see any of that natural beauty with a gun to my head

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Nix Panicus posted:

Paint little orc figures and then make those gently caress. Or, if you're a deviant, little ethereals and guardsmen.

painting little ethereal bisexuals

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

Wait, why is there an egyptian or turkish officer as one of the lords of the jungle?

thats a gorilla

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Al-Saqr posted:

Wait, why is there an egyptian or turkish officer as one of the lords of the jungle?

he shows up among the belgians aswell

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Zodium posted:

wars are intrinsically unpredictable. all the data are unreliable and grossly incomplete garbage, and even if they weren't, there's no scientific theory of war. people are just guessing.

false. the scientific theory of war is operations research and systems engineering.

you're right about everything else that gets tossed about as a grift/way to keep idle hands busy, though. all actual violence is chaos that gets some sort of veneer of rational decision-making applied ex post.

like all of that

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

which also gets to the point FF raised earlier re: The Anarchical Society-style realists vs. purestrain capitalists in American agenda-setting and policy. The latter would categorically oppose the sort of command-and-control wartime footing that would be necessary for any legitimate throwdown that magically failed to go nuclear; the former understand this but their disappointment is tempered by their understanding that it'd absolutely go nuclear and then they could shuffle off the burden of managing hegemony as they shuffled off this mortal coil, etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/justfp/status/1630653340357894145?t=P2dhSQYjzS50-B0Z3RPRIA&s=19

The second line is a completely psycho thing to say

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

mila kunis posted:

What's he gonna do? Invade ukraine?

He should just invade Russia, but in reverse.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

I'll try to find whichever book visualized this, but a bit of trivia:

One of the incredible things about the Hawker Typhoon was that its 8 rockets were equivalent to a broadside from a destroyer or a salvo from an artillery battery. So you could consider each sortie as that amount of firepower, delivered by four aircraft, happening all at once instead of over x minutes to adjust on and fire 4 salvos. Obviously it got people really excited and was part of the reason why directed air support as a concept gained traction in North-West Europe.

Well, so far as I know, with the internal bomb load, the F-35 does not really improve on, let alone replace, other forms of fire support.

It's particularly surprising if you consider the bgmbloads of US fighter bombers over say Vietnam

Let me pre-empt MLMP by saying the F-35 could carry more bombs than Vietnam era tactical aviation, I just don't see any indication that it's planned to or will. I've never seen one loaded with the full 20 000 lbs or whatever of stores.

My favourite little fun fact about F-35s in a surface attack role is that the internal bomb bay is a few inches too short to fit the JASSM, which is the centerpiece of the USA's military strategy vs China. They're both made by the same company too, lol.

Social "science".
E: I'm denigrating all social sciences not just yours.

Weka has issued a correction as of 21:11 on Mar 2, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Anyway, inflation in both Europe and the US has been a lot more stubborn than central bankers have hoped, and this seems to have locked them into continual rate increases. This seems pretty straight forward, but at the same time, I think there is another implication here that the most damage this crisis is doing to the West isn't cleaning out store houses, busting the aura of sanctions (it is a big one no doubt), or direct war costs, it is making it more and more difficult to get back to the zero or near zero rates that the West has largely depended on since 2008.

In addition, as inflation (and some de-dollarization is probably going in the background as well) is pushing rates and yields up, the cost for sustaining debt is being pushed higher. To be clear, specifically the Fed doesn't pay interest on the bonds it is holding, but the US does have to pay to other bond holders as time goes on lower yield bonds will be paid off and higher yield bonds will have to be sold pushing up the total interest the US is paying.

It is why this whole thing is more of a mess than it seems, even the Russians themselves are bit incidental in this, but this war has trigger a broader cycle with inflation/rates/yield/debt that is going to be an ongoing problem. Eventually rates/yields will peak but they haven't been near this high in 16 years.

More recently, 10 year bonds have been climbing above 4% again, which isn't good. Perhaps, not Eurocrisis bad, but certainly not great (and this is besides the USD's reserve rate status and that QE itself really isn't possible in this enviroment, you really need deflation).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Mar 2, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Excuse me, I’ve given my life to empirical science.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1631313457923387392?t=ukEIfuqGwRQ8g5aCnUqwfg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1631072452712312832

Sy Hersh's new substack piece is excellent.