Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

It's THE Midwest Michelin 5 star Resturant!

Source: Am from Kansas

Edit: JESUS SNIPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Salt Fish posted:

A company bought my rental complex and I have a new line item on my bill:

Miscellaneous Income $25.00

lmfao

raising your rent by charging fees, so your rent didnt rise. capitalism hacks

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Failson posted:

Still looking at cheap houses in Nowhere, USA.

I enjoyed the escalating red flags with this listing:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/214-S-Lincoln-St-Arlington-KS-67514/77268758_zpid/

Only $25k and a built in murder hobo attic den. What more could you want?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

i say swears online posted:

that place is right next to this restaurant which looks fantastic

I'll take a large Fried Mush, please.

WITH syrup, of course

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

interest rates murder me and prices still don’t come down

…is capitalism a hoax apologetic to manipulate wealth disparity?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

interest rates murder me and prices still don’t come down

…is capitalism a hoax apologetic to manipulate wealth disparity?

When interest rates are low, prices go up because people can borrow more money to afford higher prices.

When interest rates are high, prices go up because all new home construction stops and there is zero new inventory being added.

The system works!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Twerk from Home posted:

When interest rates are low, prices go up because people can borrow more money to afford higher prices.

When interest rates are high, prices go up because all new home construction stops and there is zero new inventory being added.

The system works!

working as intended

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

that place is right next to this restaurant which looks fantastic

Olds love their mush.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

The system works!

I love it when the market treats necessities like luxuries!!

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

you guys do realize fried mush is just a local variation of fried polenta, right? I don’t mind admitting to being a fried milled-grains enjoyer on occasion.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I love it when the market treats necessities like luxuries!!

capitalism is the most efficient system for the allocation of resources

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Justus posted:

you guys do realize fried mush is just a local variation of fried polenta, right? I don’t mind admitting to being a fried milled-grains enjoyer on occasion.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Looking at home prices in Palestine is fascinating. So many people trying to sell homes at over 2x the price from 2000. Some sellers recognize a death cloud should reflect a drop in price so only want to sell at only 1.8x the price.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/121-S-Walnut-St-East-Palestine-OH-44413/33281571_zpid/
Even in this middle of loving nowhere town there are house flippers!?
Bought for $20k in 2018 and listed for $154k in November 2022.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

chip and joanna gaines (and a dozen related shows) did a number on the whole country

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Justus posted:

I was guessing it was some kind of potato-centric hash. Either way, gimme da Mush.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Looking at home prices in Palestine is fascinating. So many people trying to sell homes at over 2x the price from 2000.

DON'T LOWBALL ME, I KNOW WHAT I GOT

quote:

Bought for $20k in 2018 and listed for $154k in November 2022.

They are absolutely everywhere. I grew up in one of the shittiest places in America, Northumberland County / Schuylkill County PA, and this poo poo is positively rampant there. Old miner housing bought for $20-50K, "renovated," listed for $150k+.

The investor class was never going to be happy just squeezing the cities.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

:confused:

Apr 7, 2003

love my amorphous corn blocks

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

those are clearly morphous as hell

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
even mush mouth was a man with a corporeal form. the state of mush is not necessarily one without volumetric boundaries, nay, it is of the soul of the mush with which one must contend

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I figured that particular mush was livermush, which is in the scrapple family, with pig and cornmeal

there's a whole world of regional mushes to explore

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Justus posted:

it's central KS I used to live probably not too far from that place and if I had to guess what is in the mush they're selling I'd guess it's probably like eggs/hashbrowns/sausage and cheese and it probably owns

those little tiny central ks german restaurants are usually pretty decent. there used to be multiple really good places to eat in a town called Lindsborg with like 10 people that lived there it's insane

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I figured that particular mush was livermush, which is in the scrapple family, with pig and cornmeal

there's a whole world of regional mushes to explore

I grew up around there, and it most certainly isn't scrapple.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

my first thought as well.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Honestly, would

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

it's central KS I used to live probably not too far from that place and if I had to guess what is in the mush they're selling I'd guess it's probably like eggs/hashbrowns/sausage and cheese and it probably owns

those little tiny central ks german restaurants are usually pretty decent. there used to be multiple really good places to eat in a town called Lindsborg with like 10 people that lived there it's insane

Fair enough. I grew up just south of there myself (in Oklahoma) and definitely remember being served that (and it does own), but I think it was usually called garbage breakfast or something like that. The fried corn mush though is definitely the one I remember being served with syrup. I think it would be weird to get scrapple with syrup.

Come live in nowhere Oklahoma or Kansas. We've got your choice of hot garbage or fried mush. And also exciting opportunities to own affordable property with a cistern that is in equal parts present and not currently in use.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i applied for a remote position at stanford. there was another one that was looking for someone on site - how the gently caress do they expect people to live there? you can either buy a "discounted" (still over 1m) home if you are a faculty member, or apparently rent a "subsidized" apartment from them if you are an employee

quote:

1 Bedroom Rates From $2,462 to $3,706
2 Bedroom Rates From $3,874 to $4,701
3 Bedroom Rates From $4,508 to $5,692

:wtc:

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

i applied for a remote position at stanford. there was another one that was looking for someone on site - how the gently caress do they expect people to live there? you can either buy a "discounted" (still over 1m) home if you are a faculty member, or apparently rent a "subsidized" apartment from them if you are an employee

Stanford medical provides housing assistance for residents

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Stanford medical provides housing assistance for residents

i think he posted the subsidized rates

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've been on the outskirts of austin my entire life, always more than 10 miles from the center. it's possible that i get a job downtown downtown very soon and even though the job pays well it'll still be 50% of takehome on rent. kinda stuck on what to do. i don't even want to live downtown but i'd go joker mode if i had to commute far

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yes those are the subsidized rates lol

https://stanfordwestapartments.stanford.edu/living-here/rental-rates

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

amazing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

lmao

wanna see what that $695k place looks like

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Minecraft Holmes posted:

lmao

just a lot with a burning dumpster on it

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

There is an additional $600 or so for medical residents that comes from the medical school/hospital (not Stanford directly) and is not included in that discounted rate.

actionjackson posted:

From personal experience at Stanford, their approach to non-faculty is that they are so great they can simply not give a poo poo about this sort of thing. The graduate student council is kicking up a fit about it. I doubt it will matter.

Here is parts of the university talking about the cost of living in the area: https://stanforddaily.com/2023/02/26/stanford-labs-received-over-651m-in-nih-funding/

The fundamental problem is that funding sources for academics also don't give a poo poo about Silicon Valley's stupid housing market. They can get 3 post docs in the Chicago area or, like 10, in Missouri for the price of one living-wage post doc in Palo Alto. But the university doesn't want to make up all of the difference, so they just keep squeezing such staff on both ends.

MickeyFinn has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Mar 3, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i've been on the outskirts of austin my entire life, always more than 10 miles from the center. it's possible that i get a job downtown downtown very soon and even though the job pays well it'll still be 50% of takehome on rent. kinda stuck on what to do. i don't even want to live downtown but i'd go joker mode if i had to commute far

i would look at what your takehome would be between both options. if the downtown pay + rent leaves you with more and you dont have to do a yearly lease or whatever, probably a good idea, esp if its a promotion or increased stability

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

anime was right posted:

just a lot with a burning dumpster on it

Someone photoshop a sliding barn door onto the dumpster please

Apr 7, 2003

There's a guy from elsewhere on these forums who moved to Stanford so his wife could do a residency there. He was a civil engineer which isn't a slouch job on the pay side either. They had to do some kind of subsidized off campus housing scheme.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

External Organs posted:

Someone photoshop a sliding barn door onto the dumpster please

careful now, a flip like that will push it into the 7 figures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

There is an additional $600 or so for medical residents that comes from the medical school/hospital (not Stanford directly) and is not included in that discounted rate.

well good to know if you are a medical resident, but that's certainly not me, nor most people eligible for this housing (basically all employees, outside of certain faculty)

Minecraft Holmes posted:

lmao

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/45-Pearce-Mitchell-Pl-Stanford-CA-94305/19507321_zpid/

outdoor parking spot, and

"As with University property Stanford owns the land. Monthly assessment is currently $1,030 a month and includes the ground lease, water and sewer. You will LOVE living in this unit! Stanford approved only."

lol the ground lease is probably $900 of that

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 20:22 on Mar 3, 2023