Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i didn't think they could write anything like this anymore.

in fact i flatly don't believe they can

gut feeling says somebody trained an ai on their first three/four albums

like something feels off as gently caress about it but it kinda does rock. the lyrics are awful but there are okay songs under it. 80s b-side tier stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
i wanted that song to go somewhere, anywhere, and it doesn't. very boring

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Riot Bimbo posted:

i didn't think they could write anything like this anymore.

in fact i flatly don't believe they can

gut feeling says somebody trained an ai on their first three/four albums

like something feels off as gently caress about it but it kinda does rock. the lyrics are awful but there are okay songs under it. 80s b-side tier stuff

i would 100% rather listen to escape than that song again

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

yeah no, like this isn't great. it's better than what i thought them capable of, which is why it's like "why does this sound off?" but my prediction is the entire album is gonna be a fairly sad pastiche of their prior work

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Riot Bimbo posted:

yeah no, like this isn't great. it's better than what i thought them capable of, which is why it's like "why does this sound off?" but my prediction is the entire album is gonna be a fairly sad pastiche of their prior work

I honestly thought Lux Aeterna was like a Kill 'Em All song with no energy - honestly playing it 30bpm faster would probably help it a lot - but it's not terrible. Pastiche is an apt description there. Hardwired's title track absolutely was wildly energetic and captured that old thrasher energy in a way that Lux does not.

This song sounds like a lot of the Death Magnetic-onward filler songs where they just write a handful of boring riffs with some bends in them, sit on one for a minute and a half in the song, then move onto the next one. I don't think it sounds like a pastiche of the old poo poo so much as their post-Rubin house style for phoning it in - if it sounded like their old poo poo it would at least be potentially good or at the very least weirder than this is.

I also think I've been having the same conversations and thoughts about Metallica for the past 15 years other than being delightfully surprised by how much I liked the title track to Hardwired before being disappointed by the fact the rest of the album was boring.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I honestly think "Screaming Suicide" kicks rear end, it's only gotten better with repeated listens. It's got a real momentum behind it that "If Darkness Had a Son" absolutely does not. I listened to the 3 singles again back to back this afternoon and like, even measured against the other 2 which are certainly not peak Metallica, this new one is bafflingly bad. At some point during all the completely wrong-sounding rhythm changes I just involuntarily start laughing. It's such a mess.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So Megadeth is apparently coming to beautiful Plymouth, Indiana in September. It's like 30 miles south of me. I think Dave sounds like absolute poo poo these days, and I haven't enjoyed a Megadeth album since World Needs a Hero... but I could ride my bike there, and tickets are less than I paid for my lunch today. Why the hell not.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Endgame was really freaking good, I thought. Haven't heard too much since then tho.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks everyone for convincing me to go see Death to All! They played a full two hours of killer songs and I had DiGiorgio and Hoglan right in my eyeline the whole time. Even though the tour is celebrating ITP, the setlist is all over the place. I thought they’d play the full album and then a handful of songs but it really is a full on celebration of the best metal songwriter.

Suffocation was also good. Pierced From Within and Liege of Inveracity are just savage live.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What are the venues in your area like when you guys go to metal shows? Are they purposefully a theater setup or is it more like a dive bar that crammed a stage in somewhere?

I was thinking about it and most of the places that have metal shows in my area are just dive bars and it got me thinking.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's Bandcamp Friday, get you some real dirty old-school metal.

https://freetousesounds.bandcamp.com/album/truck-door-sound-effects-forgotten-vehicles

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

What are the venues in your area like when you guys go to metal shows? Are they purposefully a theater setup or is it more like a dive bar that crammed a stage in somewhere?

I was thinking about it and most of the places that have metal shows in my area are just dive bars and it got me thinking.

I can give you the Chicago rundown for where touring metal bands might go.

Reggie’s Rock Club: classic poorly ventilated, cement floored room that hosts primarily metal shows. The neighboring Music Joint is more like a nice bar.
Empty Bottle: The perfect dive
Cobra Lounge: Somewhere in between those last two. Feels like it should be grimy (maybe because I’ve seen Eyehategod there twice) but is actually well-kept. The bar area is separate from the performance area.
Subterranean: Definitely more of a clear performance space although the main floor is super narrow
Bottom Lounge: fairly nondescript performance space

Those are the main clubs where your average metal band would probably play. The bigger bands will play:

Metro: Iconic music hall in Wrigleyville. Every big Chicago band has a story about some huge moment there.
Thalia Hall: Incredibly gorgeous converted opera house. There’s a fancy restaurant downstairs where you can have some wonderful crab dip or whatever before seeing Sleep or Neurosis tier bands. Or you can slam a really good hot dog in the back of the main room.
Concord Music Hall: Your standard music theater where like Blind Guardian plays
Riviera: Good sized theater with pretty bad sightlines

I would say Empty Bottle is the only one that feels like it was a bar first with a stage plopped down in it. But it’s also one of the best places to see a show in the city.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Henchman of Santa posted:

Reggie’s Rock Club: classic poorly ventilated, cement floored room that hosts primarily metal shows. The neighboring Music Joint is more like a nice bar.
Cobra Lounge: Somewhere in between those last two. Feels like it should be grimy (maybe because I’ve seen Eyehategod there twice) but is actually well-kept. The bar area is separate from the performance area.
Subterranean: Definitely more of a clear performance space although the main floor is super narrow

Those are the main clubs where your average metal band would probably play. The bigger bands will play:

Metro: Iconic music hall in Wrigleyville. Every big Chicago band has a story about some huge moment there.
Thalia Hall: Incredibly gorgeous converted opera house. There’s a fancy restaurant downstairs where you can have some wonderful crab dip or whatever before seeing Sleep or Neurosis tier bands. Or you can slam a really good hot dog in the back of the main room.

I would say Empty Bottle is the only one that feels like it was a bar first with a stage plopped down in it. But it’s also one of the best places to see a show in the city.

Very very good writeup and yeah the Bottle is the best.

Only other addition would be Schubas which is fine, if not completely unmemorable.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

listening to hellripper again

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's just my default album now when I don't know what else to put on or don't feel like scrolling through a bunch of albums.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Technically in Joliet, I think you should add The Forge to this list. They have some great metal bands come through and it's basically a tiny, seedy little bar. Also the Aragon is a block away from Riviera and is slightly bigger - I saw Slayer there and it was awesome.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I never did make it to the Forge in eight years of living in Chicago because I didn’t want to drive to Joliet. I also am an Aragon hater. Big boring room that sounds bad. I did however live down the street from Live Wire Lounge—now that’s a dive! But I saw Blood Incantation/Nucleus, Pyrrhon/Plebeian Grandstand and gently caress the Facts there so it’s also cool.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
RIP Double Door, too good for this world. also a very merry gently caress you to Aragon

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I'm a goober for it but the new Haken album is great if you like odd djenty prog with various interludes and sporadic mickey mouse vocals

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Deathlove posted:

RIP Double Door, too good for this world. also a very merry gently caress you to Aragon

Man the Double Door getting turned into a loving Yeti store is such a loss. Feel like every year since we've had stories saying that the Double Door is absolutely reopening at [insert random location] and they'll never come to fruition. Also won't be the same experience so they should probably just leave it dead.

The Aragon is truly a shithole. Not at bad as the Congress was, but still terrible.

There's a new place down in Pilsen called Radius but I haven't been. For a while the music there was all over the place but now it looks like it's mostly electronic.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Omnikin posted:

I'm a goober for it but the new Haken album is great if you like odd djenty prog with various interludes and sporadic mickey mouse vocals

New Haken is refreshing.

Most innovative they've been since The Mountain imo.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Listen to today's Majesties album if you like any of these things:

- The Jester Race
- Lindberg's vocals on Slaughter of the Soul
- The Gallery
- Obsequiae
- all of the above on an album that came out today by a band called Majesties

https://youtu.be/_oXnuFHKGfw

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Wachter posted:

Listen to today's Majesties album if you like any of these things:

- The Jester Race
- Lindberg's vocals on Slaughter of the Soul
- The Gallery
- Obsequiae
- all of the above on an album that came out today by a band called Majesties

https://youtu.be/_oXnuFHKGfw

uh hello those bullet points are exactly me thank you i will be listening to this ASAP

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't really like Gothenburg stuff but I do like the album and Obsequiae!

There's a new Enslaved album out too. And the Full of Hell/Primitive Man collab.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I don't really like Gothenburg stuff but I do like the album and Obsequiae!

There's a new Enslaved album out too. And the Full of Hell/Primitive Man collab.

absolutely going to listen to all of these

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Went to a electric callboy show, and besides being just a happy , fun time, they are pretty great live.was prety surprised at the number of young people there and it was electric.
600+ in unison doing the breakdown in tekno train, lots of people with fake (and real!) Mullets, 10/10 would choo choo choo again.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
The last few weeks have been nuts... Hellripper, Insomnium and now Enslaved.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Here's some real good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znit3arVZNc

No description needed, you can just look at that cover and the album sounds exactly like you'd expect, especially when you consider the opening track is called "Thunderblood"

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 3, 2023

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Nordick posted:

Here's some real good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znit3arVZNc

No description needed, you can just look at that cover and the album sounds exactly like you'd expect, especially when you consider the opening track is called "Thunderblood"

Yes, that is exactly what I thought it would sound like, however, nine tracks, 37 minutes?? Really letting things breathe, huh?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Deathlove posted:

however, nine tracks, 37 minutes?? Really letting things breathe, huh?
I don't follow. :confused:
I mean personally I wouldn't mind if there were a song or two more, but other than that it's a pretty standard album length? There's a single one minute interlude, and the rest of the songs range from just over three to five and a half minutes, which is also pretty much completely average.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Deathlove posted:

Yes, that is exactly what I thought it would sound like, however, nine tracks, 37 minutes?? Really letting things breathe, huh?

there's very few metal records that benefit from being longer

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Here's a killer slam record from Kryptoxik Mortality that I sort of slept on when it came out, but have been listening to a lot recently
https://kryptoxikmortality.bandcamp.com/album/symbiotic-assimilation

Here's a brand new extra disgusting sounding slam record from Colpocleisis
https://realityfade.bandcamp.com/album/elegant-degradation

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A human heart posted:

light of day, day of darkness

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

I wish more cool shows were at Empty Bottle cause I love seeing shows there. Its been years but two of the best shows ive ever seen were there within a few weeks of each other, Eyehategod and a Nunslaughter show.

Cobra Lounge used to be slightly grimier I think, at least the bathroom that used to be by the stage was gross. When they expanded and added the brewery it cleaned up a bit.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

A human heart posted:

I meant that with that art and band name, nine songs should max out at like 25 minutes!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Arivia posted:

light of day, day of darkness
No, the 1:00:00 running time is a neat gimmick but this definitely should have had minutes 33 through 39 removed outright

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

No, the 1:00:00 running time is a neat gimmick but this definitely should have had minutes 33 through 39 removed outright

Sorry the saxophone reprise of the main theme leading up to the guitar coming back in at 37 minutes is one of the best parts

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Another local-ish (Same state) band just made a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grCgBRvXPE4

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Arivia posted:

Sorry the saxophone reprise of the main theme leading up to the guitar coming back in at 37 minutes is one of the best parts
Debatable, but I've noticed you are not arguing minutes 33 through 37, which would be improved by the addition of more crying babies and maybe a couple of mouth harps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

New Necropanther is really fun. Kinda reminds me a little bit of earlier Skeletonwitch.