Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Beeftweeter posted:

i feel for the people that genuinely like discovery but it's honestly probably better that they didn't.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I feel bad for the production staff who will have to find new jobs, honestly I thought it ended like a year ago

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
all the tv trek writers seem to struggle for ideas, even in the era with super short seasons they can't even come up with enough plots to fill each episode.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
To be fair, what new sci-fi ground could a Star Trek show cover that wouldn't be overruled as "too weird or unacceptable to the wider audience" by the network people?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Animal-Mother posted:

To be fair, what new sci-fi ground could a Star Trek show cover that wouldn't be overruled as "too weird or unacceptable to the wider audience" by the network people?

i feel like this is a trick question, they haven't tried anything genuinely new

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
gently caress, is SNW going to be the only live action Trek show? Guess it's race to the bottom of stale nostalgia.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Discovery was trash because they tried the season long arc prestige show and honestly it just doesn't work for Star Trek

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Astroman posted:

Even Roddenberry wouldn't show that level of horniness on tv...

Yes, who would ever

I love Matt and Kimolu :allears:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 3, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would assume it is a money thing, because they had talked about going 7 seasons.

As far as I have been told, it was indeed a surprise cancellation, but there was some level of expectation that it was coming after Paramount's CFO's comments during an investor call two days ago.

They are getting time and money to rework the final episodes into a proper ending for the show, which is why the fifth season won't air until early next year.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Rest in piss, Discovery.

It loving sucked from the start and never really got better. We all just got used to how terrible it was and so the later seasons seemed 'better' in comparison to that first one but honestly it always was terrible.

The fact that Picard somehow completely lapped it instantly on the horribleness scale was even funnier.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He also collaborated with the Cardassians, how does this keep happening???

He was a little baby.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Angry Salami posted:

gently caress, is SNW going to be the only live action Trek show? Guess it's race to the bottom of stale nostalgia.

fun fact: historically, it was not uncommon for there to be only one star trek series at a time, and when they did overlap, it wasn't for very long

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tighclops posted:

I feel bad for the production staff who will have to find new jobs, honestly I thought it ended like a year ago

don't worry toronto is fuckin full of production jobs

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

It's also way more affordable to live in than Vancouver.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

before the show started I met someone downtown who was working on the sets and I always felt a little bad for ragging on the show's production design even though I thought it sucked because they were so nice so hopefully they got out to work on a better show :unsmith:

nine-gear crow posted:

It's also way more affordable to live in than Vancouver.

the iconian gateway from tng season 2 went to Toronto because by the 24th c. they were the only ones that could afford to live there

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

the iconian gateway from tng season 2 went to Toronto because by the 24th c. they were the only ones that could afford to live there

Also Vancouver would be underwater by then :v:

Tighclops posted:

before the show started I met someone downtown who was working on the sets and I always felt a little bad for ragging on the show's production design even though I thought it sucked because they were so nice so hopefully they got out to work on a better show :unsmith:

Oh my god, you had a bob_picardo_hates_you.jpg moment with some poor set decorator :(

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh my god, you had a bob_picardo_hates_you.jpg moment with some poor set decorator :(

Oh no no this was before anybody had any idea what it would look like, she was talking about how it was supposed to look sorta like the technology from earlier Bond movies and I thought that was cool

then the show came out and it was oh no oh noooo nooo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

Oh no no this was before anybody had any idea what it would look like, she was talking about how it was supposed to look sorta like the technology from earlier Bond movies and I thought that was cool

then the show came out and it was oh no oh noooo nooo

Ah okay, that's not so bad then. I mistakenly thought you ruined this poor girl's day by being too honest with her ala the "picardo_stare.jpg" guy.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Ah okay, that's not so bad then. I mistakenly thought you ruined this poor girl's day by being too honest with her ala the "picardo_stare.jpg" guy.

ya, online I will bitch and piss and moan that a multi million dollar production looks like was lit with battery operated halloween lights from dollarama but irl I just get really drunk and overly emotional about the sacrifice of the battlestar pegasus

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
So say we all

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

This one line in particular seems pretty damning evidence for "the cancellation was unexpected":

quote:

Sources say principal filming of the season is mostly complete. But with this move to end the show, there will be additional filming to help craft a conclusion for the series.

SNW being the flagship show makes sense and hopefully it helps to make it even better. Then again I'm sure there will be executive temptation to gently caress around with its format as well because we can't have (and keep) nice things, but who knows.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
RIP Discovery. I will always remember you for your turbolift dimension and the flame jets built into the walls of the bridge*.

And nothing else, because I hit da bricks after maybe six episodes in total.

*(Please tell me someone has a gif of the shot where the camera is panning around and little guffs of flame come from the walls in perfect synchronisation.)

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 3, 2023

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hollismason posted:

Discovery was trash because they tried the season long arc prestige show and honestly it just doesn't work for Star Trek

Star Trek has always been more Twilight Zone or Outer Limits but with a set cast and world, than a soap opera that needs a long form story.

I don't want a season of mystery thats never ever satisfying, i want strange and unique sci fi short stories and morality plays.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Drone posted:

This one line in particular seems pretty damning evidence for "the cancellation was unexpected":

SNW being the flagship show makes sense and hopefully it helps to make it even better. Then again I'm sure there will be executive temptation to gently caress around with its format as well because we can't have (and keep) nice things, but who knows.

Yeah, when the execs think a show is their golden egg that tends to not bring good things to it. See Voyager compared to the relatively ignored Deep Space Nine back in the day.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Imo a show could get better with a worse budget because then you can have more focus on writing and, you know, scenes with people in them as opposed to a giant cluster gently caress aka the big battle at the end of season 2 of Disco.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've always thought that the best creativity comes from limitations. As the creator on the inside, you may feel like you're more creative when you're not beholden to limited budgets, short timetables, strict episode run times, etc. But I think the advent of prestige shows on streaming services has removed a lot of the limitations that typically existed for broadcast television, and it's let creators get sloppy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

fun fact: historically, it was not uncommon for there to be only one star trek series at a time, and when they did overlap, it wasn't for very long

Okay but also back during the 90s those shows were cranking 26 episodes a year, which meant getting a new episode each week for fully half of the year.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

External Organs posted:

Imo a show could get better with a worse budget because then you can have more focus on writing and, you know, scenes with people in them as opposed to a giant cluster gently caress aka the big battle at the end of season 2 of Disco.

In theory sure, but does the network have a single good writer at this point?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FISHMANPET posted:

I've always thought that the best creativity comes from limitations. As the creator on the inside, you may feel like you're more creative when you're not beholden to limited budgets, short timetables, strict episode run times, etc. But I think the advent of prestige shows on streaming services has removed a lot of the limitations that typically existed for broadcast television, and it's let creators get sloppy.
Blake's 7 was given the budget of the 1970s British police drama it replaced to deliver a galaxy-spanning tale of criminal rebels in a cool spaceship versus a monolithic fascist government.

Somehow, it pretty much managed it, because its handful of writers went "Okay, we have no money, so let's squeeze as much as we can out of the characters, dialogue and ideas instead."

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The Wire was pretty good. Always like to see Bashir and Garak together although the episode was too ambiguous on what exactly was truth or fiction with Garak. It was lies upon lies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bashir: "gently caress."

Garak: "Fuuuuuuck."

Garak: *opens fridge* "gently caress."

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

DoubleCakes posted:

The Wire was pretty good. Always like to see Bashir and Garak together although the episode was too ambiguous on what exactly was truth or fiction with Garak. It was lies upon lies.

My dear poster, they're all true. Especially the lies.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

Garak: "Fuuuuuuck."

Garak: *opens fridge* "gently caress."

lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My favorite part of the wire was when Bashir started to take notes from Enabran Tain to try and figure out Garaks condition, and Tain stared him in the eyes and said "Is you taking notes on a criminal loving conspiracy?"

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 4, 2023

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Odo comin

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Morns one audible line in the series: Sheeeiiiiiiiiiiii

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m up through Past Tense on my DS9 watch. Pretty funny that the hellish dystopia of 2024 America is arguably better than real life.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I’m up through Past Tense on my DS9 watch. Pretty funny that the hellish dystopia of 2024 America is arguably better than real life.

The grim dystopia of Trek’s 2024 at least gave un-housed people buildings to live in even if they are in walled in-ghettos…

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"ITS

NOT

YOUR

TURN

TO

GIVE A gently caress!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

jeeves posted:

The grim dystopia of Trek’s 2024 at least gave un-housed people buildings to live in even if they are in walled in-ghettos…

Not only that, but the police killing some poor people lead to public change, lmao.