Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hostile V posted:

The more I think about it the more I am weirded out by seeing the Foglio character and clothing design put on a boring skinny stick girl because it's just so indistinct and bland and boring and calls to attention just how much detail the Foglios commit to.

I hadn't read that comic to defend my sanity, but then after reading this I tried again, and I feel like I lost some more brain cells, thank you very much

Anyways, in today's Blueberry: Campbell gets upset at Will, or Strawfield sets his pieces on the board, or Dolly and Will get volunteered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

CzarChasm posted:

These are really sharp looking. Is this a new source?

Yeah, the quality of my sources varies from episode to episode. I think this and the next three are all hi-res scans from a book (hence the pagination), so it's definitely a step up from what we saw with "Willy the Djinn."

Speaking of:

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 2, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
NEW COMIC TIME!!

Krazy Kat began it's life as basement strip for George Harriman's 'The Dingbat Family' before taking a life of it's own. After two aborted attempts at a daily strip in 1911 and '12 they finally found their groove in 1913, appearing daily until Harriman's death in 1944. The Sunday strip began in 1916 and except for a brief hiatus in the summer of 1934 also continued, with the final Sunday strip appearing two months after Harriman's death. While not very popular among the general public, the strip found an audience among intellectuals such as H. L. Mencken, P. G. Wodehouse, Jack Kerouac, e.e. cummings and artist Paul Nash. Inspiring everything from Jazz ballet to mass produced merchandise, (Krazy and Ignatz would become the second ever cartoon characters to get merchendise after Felix the Cat), The strip also became a cultural touchstone for the young LGBTQ community as well as being your favourite comic creator's comic creator.

I'll be posting Sunday strips scanned from Fatagraphic's Harriman Library Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so long as I don't forget.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'll give Trail a rest.

lmfao Theron is just dominating every strip he is in and Mandrake in that last panel is so sick of it already.

Don't think I've said this before but thanks for your work. Blueberry and all those imgur albums you posted are definitely in one of my planning to read bookmarks and I read a strip every so often just attracted by the excellent art.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/3-5/50

I sense an analogy.

Archie 3/5-7/46

Wonder what happened with that first balloon there.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

goatface posted:

Betting one or more of Ted's brothers are there with moving boxes.

Man, that would really suck.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doomykins posted:

I'll give Trail a rest.
Mark Trail is bad but I don't mind the occasional diatribe from you about it. At this point it's probably the only reason to post it at all.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 10: Boys Like Fun Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Now we will see D-Slide in full effect, the band you love just doing what comes naturally. How did I end up here? I don’t know. It just happened.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 5, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Well, I'm ready to be somewhat entertained.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

This Solver story is pacing better than the last few, though maybe it is benefitting from their set up.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail is bad but I don't mind the occasional diatribe from you about it. At this point it's probably the only reason to post it at all.

:tipshat: Hah, thanks. I am up to daily griping though. If I'm the only dedicated reader with my daily "spot the errors" hate read then I wouldn't mind it if vanished, not enough to seek it myself. It's entertaining because it's so openly lazy and we're like two years into it now, it's not getting better and we've got the third low effort Cricket story coming in.

We just had that nice Georgia Dunn twitter thread about how many old zombie strips steal real estate on the paper and Mark Trail should've died with Jamsallen. Jules could probably make something decent if she put her heart into it(the first week of Trail strips was really nice) but by now she's just cynically locking down a paycheck and submitting naked rough draft sketches and so on.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Doomykins posted:

Don't think I've said this before but thanks for your work. Blueberry and all those imgur albums you posted are definitely in one of my planning to read bookmarks and I read a strip every so often just attracted by the excellent art.

Glad you like the art - hope the translation is good, too!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Samovar posted:

Glad you like the art - hope the translation is good, too!

It is! I like the use of tactical swearing a lot, it reads well to a native English speaker.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funline Animals

The Confusing Metaphors Continue

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doomykins posted:

This Solver story is pacing better than the last few, though maybe it is benefitting from their set up.

:tipshat: Hah, thanks. I am up to daily griping though. If I'm the only dedicated reader with my daily "spot the errors" hate read then I wouldn't mind it if vanished, not enough to seek it myself. It's entertaining because it's so openly lazy and we're like two years into it now, it's not getting better and we've got the third low effort Cricket story coming in.

We just had that nice Georgia Dunn twitter thread about how many old zombie strips steal real estate on the paper and Mark Trail should've died with Jamsallen. Jules could probably make something decent if she put her heart into it(the first week of Trail strips was really nice) but by now she's just cynically locking down a paycheck and submitting naked rough draft sketches and so on.
Mark Trail should've died with Jackelrod, really.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 29, 2001)

I liked this. Arlo's way of addressing the mail is quite polite but I guess a more scathing retort wouldn't have been in the strip's style.

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

Peräkoukku = trailer hitch
Perä = back, behind (both as a generic thing and as a slang term for butt, like in English)
Koukku = hook
Peräkoukku = hook at the back (of the car)
Peräkoukku = hook for the behind

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doomykins posted:

I always thought they should have ditched the weekday Mark Trail after they canned Jam Esallen and keep the nature Sunday ones.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Mar 16, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 16-17, 1993)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

Peräkoukku = trailer hitch
Perä = back, behind (both as a generic thing and as a slang term for butt, like in English)
Koukku = hook
Peräkoukku = hook at the back (of the car)
Peräkoukku = hook for the behind

I appreciate they're looking at a brochure for a car that hasn't been made since 1986.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 30, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I'm glad Intelligent Life is going for the nuanced, well-thought take on Prince Harry rather than making a knee-jerk reach for some low-hanging fruit.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 22, 1956)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Hippocrass posted:

NEW COMIC TIME!!

Krazy Kat began it's life as basement strip for George Harriman's 'The Dingbat Family' before taking a life of it's own. After two aborted attempts at a daily strip in 1911 and '12 they finally found their groove in 1913, appearing daily until Harriman's death in 1944. The Sunday strip began in 1916 and except for a brief hiatus in the summer of 1934 also continued, with the final Sunday strip appearing two months after Harriman's death. While not very popular among the general public, the strip found an audience among intellectuals such as H. L. Mencken, P. G. Wodehouse, Jack Kerouac, e.e. cummings and artist Paul Nash. Inspiring everything from Jazz ballet to mass produced merchandise, (Krazy and Ignatz would become the second ever cartoon characters to get merchendise after Felix the Cat), The strip also became a cultural touchstone for the young LGBTQ community as well as being your favourite comic creator's comic creator.

I'll be posting Sunday strips scanned from Fatagraphic's Harriman Library Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so long as I don't forget.

Krazy Kat was also a big influence on one Bill Watterson.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Good as time as any to post this old picture from Allison's Flickr of the Bad Machinery girls dressed as their favorite queens

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/2/03

Brenda Starr 7/6-8/50

Two out of three ain't bad!

Smokey Stover 4/5/53

Everyday Movies 3/4/36

"Oh look, Minnie, it's got plits in the back just like the Gricks had in the front."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/2-4/41

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Facebook, that famous social media network the was ruined by its desperation to run pop-up ads.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Hippocrass posted:

NEW COMIC TIME!!

Glad someone is finally posting this. I would have, but for the lack of any source material whatsoever. It’s a unique work and incredibly important to the medium as a whole. It’s also dense, peculiar, and not very accessible, so I wonder what the thread will think of it, but I found the effort of getting into its strange rhythms and language to be well worth the while.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

So which animal will this guy turn out to be having an affair with

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

So which animal will this guy turn out to be having an affair with

Wilbur's fish

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Green Eyed Monster

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Wilbur's daughter.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Wilbur

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Am I the only one who counted seven?

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (April 12, 1935)

Peanuts (March 5, 1976)

Miss Peach (August 18, 1989)

GANGWAY, TOOTS! IT'S A MAN TO THE RESCUE!

Mutt and Jeff

Thimble Theater (October 3, 1939)

Out Our Way (March 20-22, 1941)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Krazy Kat April 23, 1916

Welcome to Coconino County.

Wikipedia posted:

Ice cream socials are a traditional gathering, dating back to the 18th century in North America. The first one recorded in America was in 1744, when Maryland governor Thomas Bladen served ice cream for a dinner party. The first one in the White House was in 1802, with the 3rd U.S. president, Thomas Jefferson. When ice cream became more available to the public in the 1800s, organizations such as schools and churches started hosting them. Commencing in the 1860s, church events were often fashioned after the "ice cream gardens" common in society at the time.[2][3] Today, they still take place in governmental and upper class circles and have spread to all classes and many types of organization with the increased popularity and availability of ice cream.[

e: Better scan

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 3, 2023