Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

atholbrose posted:

Or add stuff so that it tops 100 euro, which is what I usually end up doing.)
The system works and you never have enough ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

On a scale of 0-10, how stupid would it be to take a fountain pen on an plane? If it matters, it's this one with cartridges rather than a piston adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W58176G?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Not that stupid. Air expansion is your only enemy, so make sure the ink reservoir is as full as possible, and store the pen with the nib up so that any air can expand up and out of the feed and nib without pushing ink along with it. Have a paper napkin ready for the first time you unscrew the cap, just in case, but I've done it lots of times.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

On a scale of 0-10, how stupid would it be to take a fountain pen on an plane? If it matters, it's this one with cartridges rather than a piston adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W58176G?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It matters in that there are a few pens that seal off the ink reservoir when a piston is screwed tight.
For example the Opus 88 Koloro is an eye dropper pen that has this. Or the Pilot 823 has a vacuum filler system that will close the ink hole as well. These are more or less perfect to bring on a plane when closed no matter how much air is with the ink.
In fact, the TWSBI vac 700 is at a similar price point as the pen you link, so maybe get one of those and you can use all that fancy inks in it.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 28, 2023

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I already have this one with the matching pencil, so I'll just double bag it in sandwich bags and keep the cartridges in a separate double bag.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Chromatics posted:

I don't know about faber castell. For the cheaper pilots, most of their low end lines like metropolitan and kakuno share the same nibs, so you could buy a cheap kakuno and swap the nib in. I don't know where to find the nibs alone for less than $10 or however much the cheapest pens are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rytjL65dxlc

atholbrose posted:

The E-Motion uses a standard Faber-Castell steel nib. I can't find one in a US shop, for whatever reason, but they have them at Appelboom for right around $25. (They show the most expensive shipping in the cart, BTW, so be sure to click through if you want to see cheaper rates. Or add stuff so that it tops 100 euro, which is what I usually end up doing.)

Thank ye both. Probably easiest for me to just get another metro. Pity, been using that one for years.

GWBBQ posted:

I already have this one with the matching pencil, so I'll just double bag it in sandwich bags and keep the cartridges in a separate double bag.

I've taken filled pens on planes many times, what I recommend is putting them in a tight water bottle, like a Nalgene, for the duration of the flight. Usually I only lose a little bit of ink from that, a few times functionally none.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I remember in SFO some years ago some law student desperately asking to borrow a pen. I told her I had a fountain pen with some really evil ink in it (Bay State Blue) but she thought she didn't care. I like to think some day that she'll stand before the Supreme Court some day, start speaking, and immediately get interrupted with "WHY ARE YOUR HANDS BLUE? ARE YOU A SMURF?"

Edit: poo poo, I want smurfing to catch on as "had a Bay State Blue accident" and to hell with its usage in gaming.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I remember in SFO some years ago some law student desperately asking to borrow a pen. I told her I had a fountain pen with some really evil ink in it (Bay State Blue) but she thought she didn't care. I like to think some day that she'll stand before the Supreme Court some day, start speaking, and immediately get interrupted with "WHY ARE YOUR HANDS BLUE? ARE YOU A SMURF?"

Edit: poo poo, I want smurfing to catch on as "had a Bay State Blue accident" and to hell with its usage in gaming.

smurf is a versatile word

the evidence being the use of the word itself in its eponymous universe

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also, knowing how much law students drink, I doubt that having blue hands would be a problem

not that they're universally messy drinkers, but the solution is right there

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I had a Smurf and it blue all over me!!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Keetron posted:

Contemplating spending €240 on a few nibs, including an 18K, to gain a few percentage more joy from pens I already own, like how they look but write terrible (Narwhal, duh).

I mean, both of these deserve to write well, am i right?

Wanted to give an update on the quest to get a Narwhal / Nahvalur pen to write like how I want a pen to write.
In the end, I bought #6 Jowo nibs from https://fpnibs.com/ who are located in Spain. A gold one to color match and some steel nibs of various sizes as I am a fool and they were not that expensive. It is everything I want from it. These really nice, big, heavy pens now write feathery smooth filled with iroshizuku. It is the best money spend on fountain pens, at the same level as buying that Pilot Custom 823 to the point where I am no longer contemplating buying a new pen as it is unlikely to get any better than this.
Now inks and paper, I have some room there. Paper is being used a lot and ink... well, there are some iroshizuku 15ml bottles that can use an upgrade to 50ml as soon as I cannot fill my pens any more.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Fancy note taking. Always wanted a modern Meisterstuck, found a half price, legit 144 with some light use, lot of dried ink inside and still sporting its original cartridge. Listed defect was that it has a random name engraved (probably a work present), but tbh, who cares, no one is going to see it. The 144 seem to have a lot of issues with top ring corrosion, but this one is almost pristine for now.

It's currently being put to work doing lab notes, and it writes like a drat charm except for a small occasional stutter when going vertically top to down. Wet writer too. Also the tact is funny, feels somehow silkier than other plastic pens I've had before for some reason.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I've been pretty amazed at how much cheaper used montblancs are. Most seem engraved and i guess that just kills the price

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Sankis posted:

I've been pretty amazed at how much cheaper used montblancs are. Most seem engraved and i guess that just kills the price

I paid $280CDN for my 149.

Shellception posted:

Also the tact is funny, feels somehow silkier than other plastic pens I've had before for some reason.

Montblancs don't use cheap plastics, they use PMMA resins. It's quite a tough material, and better quality than the plastics used in the vast majority of pens. Plexiglas and Lexan and types of PMMA resins.

That said, you can find cheaper pens that use PMMA resins as well, like the Sailor Profit Jr.

grack fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 2, 2023

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Keetron posted:

Wanted to give an update on the quest to get a Narwhal / Nahvalur pen to write like how I want a pen to write.
In the end, I bought #6 Jowo nibs from https://fpnibs.com/ who are located in Spain. A gold one to color match and some steel nibs of various sizes as I am a fool and they were not that expensive. It is everything I want from it. These really nice, big, heavy pens now write feathery smooth filled with iroshizuku. It is the best money spend on fountain pens, at the same level as buying that Pilot Custom 823 to the point where I am no longer contemplating buying a new pen as it is unlikely to get any better than this.
Now inks and paper, I have some room there. Paper is being used a lot and ink... well, there are some iroshizuku 15ml bottles that can use an upgrade to 50ml as soon as I cannot fill my pens any more.

I stuck a diplomat nib in mine. Also tried an FPR flex nib, but the feed could not keep up at all.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

grack posted:

I paid $280CDN for my 149.

God drat. Was that just finding a great deal on ebay purchase or is there a site selling used 149s at that price?

A 149 is my grail pen and I may not be able to resist for long.

Can you get used MBs serviced or do you need to be the original owner? I know I'd probably pay out the rear end to do it without a warranty but I'd like to know it was available as a last resort

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

God drat. Was that just finding a great deal on ebay purchase or is there a site selling used 149s at that price?

A 149 is my grail pen and I may not be able to resist for long.

Can you get used MBs serviced or do you need to be the original owner? I know I'd probably pay out the rear end to do it without a warranty but I'd like to know it was available as a last resort

With a little patience the going rate for unrestored 149s on Yahoo Auctions Japan is 30,000 yen (so in the ballpark of 280 Canadian) and it's 20,000 yen for 146. Buy-it-now prices are higher, but if you take a crack at a couple contested auctions you should be able to get a deal like this. It's a buyer beware sort of thing and there are no returns at all, but mostly they just need a bit of a rinse. If you want something restored and with a return policy, you'd have to pay more.

If you just want a nice MB writer and aren't as fussed about getting a 149 specifically, the older two-digit Meisterstucks (12, 14) are cheaper and write very well.

MB will fix pens for anyone, but they only do newer stuff and tend to just replace everything. People hunt older Meisterstucks specifically for their nibs (marked 14C or 14K rather than the modern 18K) and ebonite feeds, but sending those back to the factory runs the risk of having those replaced with modern parts without comment. You're better off finding an independent repairer.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sankis posted:

Lucky buy-it-now on eBay. It was in great condition, though the nib needed some tuning. Not an issue for me, of course.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Rad. Definitely gonna keep an eye out from now on.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Dad Hominem posted:

If you just want a nice MB writer and aren't as fussed about getting a 149 specifically, the older two-digit Meisterstucks (12, 14) are cheaper and write very well.

Can confirm, the 12 (and the 22 too) have great buttery nibs and usually go for way less than modern MBs, so they're definitely an option. I didn't have so much luck with the 32, it was the only one I got NOS but it's always been scratchy.

Buyer beware for those on Ebay and such would be to look for any signs of piston cracking, while they're sturdy the axis is plastic and it can be overtighted and break, leaving you with a pen that has to be mostly professionally repaired or filled from the top with a syringe instead 🤷🏻‍♀️

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shellception posted:

Can confirm, the 12 (and the 22 too) have great buttery nibs and usually go for way less than modern MBs, so they're definitely an option. I didn't have so much luck with the 32, it was the only one I got NOS but it's always been scratchy.

Buyer beware for those on Ebay and such would be to look for any signs of piston cracking, while they're sturdy the axis is plastic and it can be overtighted and break, leaving you with a pen that has to be mostly professionally repaired or filled from the top with a syringe instead 🤷🏻‍♀️

Weird, my 34 also writes kinda funny and I figured it was that a past owner messed with the nib.

Good tips on things to look for in auction listings. With these MBs I figure all the likely damage should be externally visible, since the plastic pistons are pretty well built, and the piston seals shouldn't have to be replaced. The telescopic pistons are of course way more tricky but they're also expensive enough that you probably shouldn't be buying them off random auctions.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
My Twsbi Diamond cap broke for the third time. I think I'm done with that pen even if I love it.

Is the Vac similarly fragile?

What would be a good recommendation for a pen that perform similarly in that price range? I don't want to deal with converters and very small ink capacity.

I also have a Twsbi eco that I like, but I'd like to try something else.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Something from Nahvalur/Narwhal perhaps?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

My Twsbi Diamond cap broke for the third time. I think I'm done with that pen even if I love it.

Is the Vac similarly fragile?

What would be a good recommendation for a pen that perform similarly in that price range? I don't want to deal with converters and very small ink capacity.

I also have a Twsbi eco that I like, but I'd like to try something else.

As Grack mentions, the Nahvalur has similar ink capacity and is in the same price range. The nib is made in house where TWSBI uses Jowo nibs, so their feel is different but as I experienced myself, you can plop in a jowo #6 nib and the Nahvalur will feel like you are used to.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I did a bit of reading and there's a few reviews saying the key west narwhal breaks easily. Is the Schuykill well built? It does look pretty nice.

Other than that I just learned about the Twsbi precision looks like something I'd enjoy.

The next step up for piston fill is 200$ for the lamy 2000 and such?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

My Vac700R cap never felt fragile. There's also the TWSBI Classic to look at. Next step up after Vac 700R and Classic is probably is the $130 range, e.g. Pilot Custom Heritage 92 ($130 shipped from Japan on eBay), Pelikan M200 ($135 on Amazon), and then up to the $200+ range, e.g. Pilot Custom 823 ($220 shipped from Japan on eBay).

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

There's also the Narwhal Nautilus and the Penlux Masterpiece Grande to look at if you want to spend a little more. I have both in my collection and they're excellent pens, no problems with cracking or anything in the time I've had them.

You could also try PenBBS if you want to stick around the same price point as the TWSBI. They've got a lot of really interesting, large-capacity filling systems for about the same or less than a Vac-700.

Edit: In particular, the PenBBS models 355, 456, 489, and 309 are all around ~$50 and have large ink capacities.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 4, 2023

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Is there really a pen named after the Schuylkill River. that's wild to me as someone who lives near it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Muir posted:

My Vac700R cap never felt fragile. There's also the TWSBI Classic to look at. Next step up after Vac 700R and Classic is probably is the $130 range, e.g. Pilot Custom Heritage 92 ($130 shipped from Japan on eBay), Pelikan M200 ($135 on Amazon), and then up to the $200+ range, e.g. Pilot Custom 823 ($220 shipped from Japan on eBay).

Didn't know you could get a Pelikan M200 for that price. The green marble one in particular calls me. I can justify 140$ for a pen right? I mean I'm gonna be holding it for hours while I grade exams.

Yeah I think we have a winner.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

KingColliwog posted:

Didn't know you could get a Pelikan M200 for that price. The green marble one in particular calls me. I can justify 140$ for a pen right? I mean I'm gonna be holding it for hours while I grade exams.

Yeah I think we have a winner.

The Pelikan is a lovely pen but it's quite a bit smaller than the other options being discussed. Not unreasonably small, but noticeable I think. It'd be good if you can try one before you buy.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Dad Hominem posted:

The Pelikan is a lovely pen but it's quite a bit smaller than the other options being discussed. Not unreasonably small, but noticeable I think. It'd be good if you can try one before you buy.

Didn't seem too bad in pictures next to other pens, but I think they have some in a store nearby so I'll try to handle it first.thanks for the heads up

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Yeah, Pelikan M200's are a slimmer pen. The grip diameter for the M200 is around 9.5mm while the TWSBI 580 is between 10.5 - 11mm, for comparison.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

I did a bit of reading and there's a few reviews saying the key west narwhal breaks easily. Is the Schuykill well built? It does look pretty nice.

Other than that I just learned about the Twsbi precision looks like something I'd enjoy.

If you are heading in that direction, grab a Pilot Custom 823 as it has a 14K gold nib and it is the smoothest writer I ever held. Vacuum filler and with a normal fill it will hold a little under 2ml, which is almost three times the amount of a standard cartridge that holds 0,7ml.

The Nahvalurs I own are both Nautilus models and I love the weight and size of the pen but as I mentioned, fitted them with Jowo nibs but you might like the nibs that the company fitted the pens with.

KingColliwog posted:

If you write for hours, you should can justify anything you can afford. There is nothing better than working with high grade tools. Be sure to fill the pen with iroshizuku momiji.

Final comment on the TWSBI Vac700: same ink capacity as the Pilot Custom 823 and personally I love the colors. Great writer, never really had an issue with it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Chip McFuck posted:

Yeah, Pelikan M200's are a slimmer pen. The grip diameter for the M200 is around 9.5mm while the TWSBI 580 is between 10.5 - 11mm, for comparison.

I don't think I would mind, but it's certainly worth trying before spending.

Keetron posted:

If you are heading in that direction, grab a Pilot Custom 823 as it has a 14K gold nib and it is the smoothest writer I ever held. Vacuum filler and with a normal fill it will hold a little under 2ml, which is almost three times the amount of a standard cartridge that holds 0,7ml.

The Nahvalurs I own are both Nautilus models and I love the weight and size of the pen but as I mentioned, fitted them with Jowo nibs but you might like the nibs that the company fitted the pens with.

If you write for hours, you should can justify anything you can afford. There is nothing better than working with high grade tools. Be sure to fill the pen with iroshizuku momiji.

Final comment on the TWSBI Vac700: same ink capacity as the Pilot Custom 823 and personally I love the colors. Great writer, never really had an issue with it.

First thanks for enabling me. I do like spending money on high quality tool just because it makes everything more enjoyable.

I'm really partial to Pilot since I loved everything I ever had from them, but the custom.823 is both expensive and not particularly good looking which makes it hard to justify such a big investment. I'll try to see it in person, it might be much nicer than in pictures.

That said, I'm a HS teacher so I'm lucky enough that I can use any funky color to grade exams. I think Yama-Budo is perfection for grading. I don't even own a red anymore... Might have to fix that too

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

I don't think I would mind, but it's certainly worth trying before spending.

First thanks for enabling me. I do like spending money on high quality tool just because it makes everything more enjoyable.

I'm really partial to Pilot since I loved everything I ever had from them, but the custom.823 is both expensive and not particularly good looking which makes it hard to justify such a big investment. I'll try to see it in person, it might be much nicer than in pictures.

That said, I'm a HS teacher so I'm lucky enough that I can use any funky color to grade exams. I think Yama-Budo is perfection for grading. I don't even own a red anymore... Might have to fix that too

If you like the idea of a pen like the 823 but not its aesthetic, I love my 743. It’s not a piston filler but the button filler converter is great, and if you order from Japan you get all sorts of specialty nib options like Falcon, Waverly, and others.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Picked these up at Emmaüs. The blue pen says "Waterman, Made in Paris" but I don't know which one it would be. The other one just has the S.

Can anyone identify these? Thanks.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

gschmidl posted:

Picked these up at Emmaüs. The blue pen says "Waterman, Made in Paris" but I don't know which one it would be. The other one just has the S.

Can anyone identify these? Thanks.

I think that Waterman might be a Torsade.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

KingColliwog posted:

For what it's worth I've loving loved my Lamy 2000 and it has been "my final pen" for years and years. The only reason I ever replaced it, I managed to lose one. If I ever get rich or a fat bonus, I'd be tempted to get a Sailor Realo.

But yeah I gave up on Twsbi after several piston caps, and while I loved the vacuum-filler, that cap broke too and I just done with the brand.

Another nice thing about Lamy is if you're not happy with your nib, different ones are relatively easy to find. Though obviously the gold Lamy 2000 ones are much pricier than their standard designs.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 4, 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ragle Gumm posted:

I think that Waterman might be a Torsade.

That sent me on the right track, it's the Master Slim in Cobalt Blue with torsade from the 80s. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

KingColliwog posted:

The 823 is pretty much cigar-shaped-pen.txt and if you don't vibe on that it won't be for you and that's cool. Personally I don't care for the amber finish, but the smoke or clear models are dang nice imo. Plus, if you're a true madman and get your hands on an FA nib and custom ebonite feed, holy hell that's fun. I've also got an 823 with a waverly nib that I use for my black ink writing needs and it's a total champ. It's pretty much always been inked from the moment I got it. But again, if cigar shaped pen with a ball clip isn't your jam, then yeah 823 isn't the pen for you.