Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

fins posted:

POTS has 48V, no one really uses that anymore. instant country wide charging network!

POTS is -48VDC. It's negative because 100+ years ago, wire insulation was poo poo and bonding + to earth meant you didn't slowly dissolve all your wire when it got wet. Same reason there are positive grounded cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I picked up an old 70s CB and it took me a good fuckin minute to figure out why it constantly blew fuses when i turned it on

wired for positive ground.

what the gently caress

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

rum, comedy, and the fash

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

oh my god this loving boer is brining back the dop sisteem

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tot_System

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Jonny 290 posted:

the big sticking point is that you won't be able to directly accessorize a 48v system with 12v things, but it's 2023, and i can go on the internet and get a DC-DC buck converter that will eat 48v at 5 amps and output 12v at 20 amps for my ham radio, and it's the size of a pack of smokes, costs $20 and has 95% efficiency.

tbh it's not that hard to run everything off 48V. it's not like chips run direct from 12V anyways, most boxes in your car already have an internal buck converter or three to drop the 12 down to whatever's useful. those buck converters can easily be redesigned a bit to extend the input range to include 48V, only problem is who's paying to do the work on what schedule, and that comes down to whether 48V is compelling enough to make lots of the auto industry willing to pay for it to happen fast (it's not)

military already runs lots of vehicles on higher-than-12V, but it's 28V rather than 48V. look up mil-std-1275. it's been around approximately forever, because it turns out you don't wanna have to use a 12V starter motor to crank the bigass diesel engine in a tank. 48V would be even better, but did i mention that 1275 is loving old

(as a side note the fun part in automotive buck converter design is protecting the output side against the spikes, brownouts, etc on the input. automotive power is dirty nasty poo poo. that $20 buck converter box you mention probably would not deal well with that, or the environmental factors like temperature and vibration. everything has to be overbuilt to survive)

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
I love the animation of the hubcaps spinning on. Which reminds me that they can't because they have to align with and sink into the rubber indents on the custom tyres, which means the tyre alignment itself has to match perfectly with the wheel bolts radially.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i still can't believe they called it the loving Cybertruck. just absolute brain-of-a-seven-year-old energy.

it does have a bunch of PID controllers in there so it's not wrong exactly.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*points to cabin thermostat* cyber.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Investors: *sobbing* elon you can't just point to random objects and say "cyber", please

elon musk: *points at penis*

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sapozhnik posted:

brain-of-a-seven-year-old

coming 2024: the Tesla No Megans In My Bedroom, and the Cyber Nintendo Uncle

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BobHoward posted:

(as a side note the fun part in automotive buck converter design is protecting the output side against the spikes, brownouts, etc on the input. automotive power is dirty nasty poo poo. that $20 buck converter box you mention probably would not deal well with that, or the environmental factors like temperature and vibration. everything has to be overbuilt to survive)
I used to hang out on the MP3Car forums where people built in-car computers in the early '00s and it was unsurprisingly a constant thing where people would insist they didn't need a DC-DC power supply to run 12v devices, hook it up with the car off and say "see, it works!", and then everything goes to poo poo either when they try to start the car or when they stop it again.

There's a reason the automotive variant of the PicoPSU is rated for something like 6-36 volts, and it's not just compatibility with 24v vehicles.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the nice thing about switching to 48 is that you could just have a buck converter with a wide input range. as is, if you want to put one in between your 12v rail and a 12v piece of gear, you need one o them fancy buck/boost converters cause sometimes its gotta convert up, and sometimes down

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
the cybertruck is going to be a huge flop, the kind of thing everyone wants to gawk at but nobody wants to buy. it's going to have major problems when it's taken out of the showroom environment, because it ignores lessons that automakers learned painfully years ago. I hope elon is getting an ulcer from knowing how poo poo it is.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

if they actually released the cybertruck, it would have to compete with the lightning in the midmarket and the rivian at the top end, both of which will have had years to work out the kinks. no one except tesla stans or confused rich guys will pick one up. that demo will never punish tesla for not releasing the cybertruck, so there's no motivation for doing anything but riding a perpetual "coming soon" hypetrain

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

exe cummings posted:

if they actually released the cybertruck, it would have to compete with the lightning in the midmarket and the rivian at the top end, both of which will have had years to work out the kinks. no one except tesla stans or confused rich guys will pick one up. that demo will never punish tesla for not releasing the cybertruck, so there's no motivation for doing anything but riding a perpetual "coming soon" hypetrain

please, it's not a hypetrain it's a hypeloop

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

please, it's not a hypetrain it's a hypeloop

:hmmyes:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
more like hyper poop

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Fart Sandwiches posted:

more like hyper poop

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

more like hyper poop

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Fart Sandwiches posted:

more like hyper poop

lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

more like hyper poop

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Magic Underwear posted:

I hope elon is getting an ulcer from knowing how poo poo it is.

i think he might actually believe that it is cool and good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i dont think you really get Elon Musk if you think he's having a bad time at all. he's loving all the imc and dilbert handjobs

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i dont think you really get Elon Musk if you think he's having a bad time at all. he's loving all the imc and dilbert handjobs

he loves engagement so much he got divorced 3 times

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Jonny 290 posted:

nah, it definitely drives him nuts that he's not universally beloved

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cat Face Joe posted:

nah, it definitely drives him nuts that he's not universally beloved

it's both imo

he loves the greasy handies but also hates that he can't get them from everyone anymore

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/mikepqr/status/1631739144094507008

all is well! remain calm!

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1051381698682793985

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
rich people are the worst

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I hope he said it's resolv but IT pager people are goddamn weird about their jobs

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

FAUXTON posted:

I hope he said it's resolv but IT pager people are goddamn weird about their jobs

given he quit in october, i'm guessing they need a new responder and don't have one

gently caress the rest of the details, that's already funny

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they should just page 1,000 random phone numbers for every alert and i bet one of them will ack. hire that person and thats your new incident response coordinator

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i have no idea what that means beyond the obvious (environment, alert level, service type, service action) but someone in the replies said something about that indicates it wasn't acknowledged for 3-4 levels and therefore escalated

which, if true: lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if i ever do a startup thats going to be my hiring strat. "OK thanks for your application, you will be randomly paged some time in the next seven days. ack the page and click the zoom link and start working. if your response time and actions are good, you're hired

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's some serious grindset poo poo

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i would have definitely acknowledged it left it open and then simply went about my business lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

if i ever do a startup thats going to be my hiring strat. "OK thanks for your application, you will be randomly paged some time in the next seven days. ack the page and click the zoom link and start working. if your response time and actions are good, you're hired
It's pretty obnoxious to expect people to sit around at their computer for 7 days not getting paid waiting to click a link for a chance to get hired

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

anyhow came in here to post this

https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/status/1631374877587562496

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

post hole digger posted:

i would have definitely acknowledged it left it open and then simply went about my business lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

post hole digger posted:

whom amongst us