Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

6 years of the best Zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Dave posted:

A new trend is rightfully appearing:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRWRqsyP/

Maybe I'm just old but not utilizing the incredible song that goes with the dance seems messed up

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Khanstant posted:

Maybe I'm just old but not utilizing the incredible song that goes with the dance seems messed up

She's posted the dance several times before, I'm sure one of them used the music.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

As promised, I played Zelda.
Over all these long years, I've never actually played the original much further than the first dungeon - I didn't own an NES of my own as a kid (played at neighbors' and usually multiplayer or at least games that were conducive to quick play) so my real entry point was LttP when I got an SNES. And so I just never really sat down with this one. UNTIL NOW!

And... it was pretty enjoyable. The map wasn't too difficult to keep in my head despite no detailed in-game help beyond the general position on the grid. Combat is a bit clunky, coming close to Ys 1-level of bumping enemies with the way you don't have an arc, and sword throwing only mitigates so much. Thankfully there's enough other tools for the early hump - the boomerang stun and bomb's aoe help manage a lot when hearts are at a premium. In-game clues are paced pretty well to keep pointing you to the next point of interest, and aren't too cryptic for the most part. Getting money early was a pain because I was farming moblins but after finding numerous IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY rooms I guess that's what you're really supposed to look for before playing the money making games. I also simply almost stumbled on the right directions numerous times just following intuition honed from later games (which was a bit of a pain in some dungeons because I had to backtrack for rooms I missed while I almost went straight to the boss - I took the drat direct path to Ganon in Level 9 and I've never been in there before!). They definitely got a lot established in this one. The one thing I got stuck on for a while was when I finished Level 7 and then bombed my way into Spectacle Rock thinking it'd be the next one and realizing I had to look for Level 8. The tree clue feels like it could refer to multiple ones, and I didn't realize at first how precise you had to be with throwing the fire even when it's the right tree; "gosh, I'm shooting the fire over the tree and nothing's happening, guess it's a different one." Late dungeons get to be kind of slogs with the number of beefy enemies in rooms you gotta clear, even with the Magical Sword (on that note I found the two upgrades well before it'd let me take them and all I could figure without looking it up was I needed more Triforce pieces, if not Heart Containers). Especially when you just get rooms packed with Darknuts and/or Wizzrobes. loving Wizzrobes, man. Also could have done with one or two fewer Patra fights. Ganon was a simpler form of his LttP incarnation, which I sort of figured as soon as I walked into his room, but the first time I didn't have the drat silver arrows (or the map, which didn't help with figuring whether I was stepping into the boss room). Probably took about 8-10 hours semi-blind (still had vague memories of as much as I'd ever explored before) all told, pretty satisfied with it.

I'll do the Second Quest some other time.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Zelda 1 is great. The open world is lots of fun, and it's a lot more playable than other games of the time. A classic for a god drat reason.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Like is Zelda the second most popular direct first party Nintendo series? I'd say that was Pokemon but gamefreak is still kinda separate right?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I’d say Pokémon is more ingrained in popular lexicon, a presidential candidate did quote the first movie in a speech after all!!!

But among gamers I think Zelda is more popular

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's mario kart and animal crossing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

thechosenone posted:

Like is Zelda the second most popular direct first party Nintendo series? I'd say that was Pokemon but gamefreak is still kinda separate right?

In terms of raw numbers of copies sold it's
1) Mario
2) Pokemon
3) Wii Series (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, etc.)
4) Zelda

Wii Sports is a bit of a special case tho

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Well considering the competition is the mascot of the company, a swarm of other mascots combined with a popular anime and trading card game and an amalgamation of basically casual games sold with consoles to demonstrate the tech I'd say Zelda has done pretty well.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I've always rated Link as #2 behind Mario but Pikachu is probably more well-known than either due to merchandising. My Big 3 for Nintendo IPs are Mario, Zelda, and Metroid but I know the sales don't support that opinion.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FooF posted:

I've always rated Link as #2 behind Mario but Pikachu is probably more well-known than either due to merchandising. My Big 3 for Nintendo IPs are Mario, Zelda, and Metroid but I know the sales don't support that opinion.

Pokemon is the largest and most successful media franchise in the world. It eclipses literally everything else in terms of total sales across all sectors.

Like its nearest competitors are Winnie the Pooh, Mickey Mouse and Star Wars.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To be fair, cool monsters is always has been is was were will be cool

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hogama posted:

As promised, I played Zelda.
Over all these long years, I've never actually played the original much further than the first dungeon - I didn't own an NES of my own as a kid (played at neighbors' and usually multiplayer or at least games that were conducive to quick play) so my real entry point was LttP when I got an SNES. And so I just never really sat down with this one. UNTIL NOW!

And... it was pretty enjoyable. The map wasn't too difficult to keep in my head despite no detailed in-game help beyond the general position on the grid. Combat is a bit clunky, coming close to Ys 1-level of bumping enemies with the way you don't have an arc, and sword throwing only mitigates so much. Thankfully there's enough other tools for the early hump - the boomerang stun and bomb's aoe help manage a lot when hearts are at a premium. In-game clues are paced pretty well to keep pointing you to the next point of interest, and aren't too cryptic for the most part. Getting money early was a pain because I was farming moblins but after finding numerous IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY rooms I guess that's what you're really supposed to look for before playing the money making games. I also simply almost stumbled on the right directions numerous times just following intuition honed from later games (which was a bit of a pain in some dungeons because I had to backtrack for rooms I missed while I almost went straight to the boss - I took the drat direct path to Ganon in Level 9 and I've never been in there before!). They definitely got a lot established in this one. The one thing I got stuck on for a while was when I finished Level 7 and then bombed my way into Spectacle Rock thinking it'd be the next one and realizing I had to look for Level 8. The tree clue feels like it could refer to multiple ones, and I didn't realize at first how precise you had to be with throwing the fire even when it's the right tree; "gosh, I'm shooting the fire over the tree and nothing's happening, guess it's a different one." Late dungeons get to be kind of slogs with the number of beefy enemies in rooms you gotta clear, even with the Magical Sword (on that note I found the two upgrades well before it'd let me take them and all I could figure without looking it up was I needed more Triforce pieces, if not Heart Containers). Especially when you just get rooms packed with Darknuts and/or Wizzrobes. loving Wizzrobes, man. Also could have done with one or two fewer Patra fights. Ganon was a simpler form of his LttP incarnation, which I sort of figured as soon as I walked into his room, but the first time I didn't have the drat silver arrows (or the map, which didn't help with figuring whether I was stepping into the boss room). Probably took about 8-10 hours semi-blind (still had vague memories of as much as I'd ever explored before) all told, pretty satisfied with it.

I should probably give it a go again sometime- I've played LTTP quite a few times but it's been probably at least 15 or more years since I played the original LoZ. I played it when it first came out and loved that game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just can't go back to the NES Zeldas. The first one's too opaque for me, I just end up looking up where to go, and the gameplay is primitive enough that I don't find it fun. 2 is just plain too tough to be fun after a while. I beat the first and played the second back in Gamecube days, and haven't touched them for more than a few minutes since then. Everything from SNES on is just so more playable for me that I don't really ever plan to, either.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I replayed Zelda 1 when NES first arrived on Switch Online. It's fun for sure

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just can't go back to the NES Zeldas. The first one's too opaque for me, I just end up looking up where to go, and the gameplay is primitive enough that I don't find it fun. 2 is just plain too tough to be fun after a while. I beat the first and played the second back in Gamecube days, and haven't touched them for more than a few minutes since then. Everything from SNES on is just so more playable for me that I don't really ever plan to, either.

I played both on the Collectors Edition Gamecube disc and enjoyed them. Zelda II took longer to get into than the original; it was pulling teeth until the 2nd village or so, but I enjoyed wandering round and drawing janky maps and finding random stuff in both. But I don't think I could go back to them either.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Zelda 2 is a blast until you have to go to the last palace then it gets unfairly cruel.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Hogama posted:

The second quest of LoZ is for children in the 80s that only owned one NES cartridge other than the Mario/Duck Hunt one that came with the system.

It does not make sense and does not respect your time. This was perfect for the 80s kids, but we don't live in that world anymore. Unless you are so bored that bombing every rock, burning every bush, and checking every wall to see if it is fake and you can walk through it sounds like a good time, just skip it. If you use a guide, then it will go faster, but will basically just be a rehash of the first quest.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Inferior Third Season posted:

The second quest of LoZ is for children in the 80s that only owned one NES cartridge other than the Mario/Duck Hunt one that came with the system.

It does not make sense and does not respect your time. This was perfect for the 80s kids, but we don't live in that world anymore. Unless you are so bored that bombing every rock, burning every bush, and checking every wall to see if it is fake and you can walk through it sounds like a good time, just skip it. If you use a guide, then it will go faster, but will basically just be a rehash of the first quest.

We were so hard core back in the day that game guides didn't even exist!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Link, thank Farore you're here! The Divine Beast is mildly annoying our tiny village! It's been doing so for a hundred years, to very little consequence. You're our only hope!

I like the Rito village one where they're just like "I dunno it's kind of sus and has bad vibes"

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The real trick to Zelda 1 is getting to Ganon without a sword

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Ytlaya posted:

I like the Rito village one where they're just like "I dunno it's kind of sus and has bad vibes"

I mean that and "if we fly near it it shoots at us"

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I beat all the divine beasts in my botw playthrough and decided to take a break before doing all the DLC to play through Age of Calamity on easy mode. I'm definitely enjoying it a lot more on easy mode, just pushing through a fun reimagining of this world.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Golux posted:

I mean that and "if we fly near it it shoots at us"
Right? Which, to bird people, is kind of a huge deal.

"We're allowed to leave our poedunk little hometown, but if we use cars, the giant death machine kills us, so we have to walk. Oh, and almost every other town also has a giant murder robot."

MokBa posted:

I beat all the divine beasts in my botw playthrough and decided to take a break before doing all the DLC to play through Age of Calamity on easy mode. I'm definitely enjoying it a lot more on easy mode, just pushing through a fun reimagining of this world.
I switched to Easy mode right about the point where it was wrapping up getting tedious and instantly regretted not playing the entire game that way.

Of course, my real regret was spending the entire campaign thinking "soon as I'm done with this, I can't wait to start Adventure Mode."

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I just finished Age of Calamity. It was like four hours longer than I expected but I kept thinking I was nearly at the end.

The compelling plot really does fall apart the second the time travel kicks in. I already knew it was there but I assumed it would be built up somehow. Instead of just having the future heroes show up so everything could work out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

There's a Twilight Princess co-op mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTpGhdHKk-o

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Shiroc posted:

I just finished Age of Calamity. It was like four hours longer than I expected but I kept thinking I was nearly at the end.

The compelling plot really does fall apart the second the time travel kicks in. I already knew it was there but I assumed it would be built up somehow. Instead of just having the future heroes show up so everything could work out.

I knew it was coming, what with Terrako opening a time portal for himself at the start.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I mean in the sense of the characters discussing it, some narrative for how or why this Terrako could do that. Instead there is just one good Terrako, an evil wizard and a second corrupted Terrako in the BOTW setting who didn’t exist in the main story

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I went in unspoiled, so the moment that little bastard time-traveled I expereicned a *crushing* disappointment that the game wouldn't be canon in any meaningful way.

I still would've bought it and played it the whole way through, mind, but I would've enjoyed it a hell of a lot more if I knew it was non-canon like Hyrule Warriors 1 was going in.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I mean I don't like Age of Calamity being any kind of canon because the mushu world it presents is diametrically opposed to what we see of BotW. The closest we get is one flashback to the aftermath of Link having killed a field's worth of enemies, but even that is nothing on the hordes and hordes that our heroes mow down in AoC. Plus I'm pretty sure I killed quite a lot of Rito and Gerudo citizens.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hyrules Warriors 1 is the canonical reason why elements of the three separate timelines have coalesced together into one again for BOTW.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm glad Age of Calamity is canon, even if it's to a separate timeline. Sadly it was too soon to see what AoC Zelda's reaction to TotK Link would have been.
https://twitter.com/nadaru915/status/1631567183926157314

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The DS Zelda games are only available at this point through piracy or finding a used copy, right?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Shiroc posted:

The DS Zelda games are only available at this point through piracy or finding a used copy, right?

Yep, those were just DS carts and Wii U virtual console, unfortunately.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Pretty sure they're still available on the WiiU eShop for the next 3 weeks or so

but just pirate them anyway

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Whoa, I had no idea the Wii U eshop was on the same timetable as 3DS, I thought it was gone years ago :psyduck:
I'm doubly sad I couldn't resurrect my Wii U a while back, I like playing stuff like that with the multiscreen setup rather than an emulator.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if you mod your 3ds you can play them on there with the hack that lets you move and attack using the buttons instead of using the touch screen for everything

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Augus posted:

if you mod your 3ds you can play them on there with the hack that lets you move and attack using the buttons instead of using the touch screen for everything
No poo poo?! I might finally play Phantom Hourglass for the first time since the Christmas it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

For a game that’s launching in 2.5 months it sure has been radio silence from Nintendo…

Usually by now we’ve had a dedicated direct that goes more in depth. Maybe they feel the game doesn’t need it though as it’s guaranteed to sell a bazillion copies anyway. Or maybe…….