Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I have no evidence but it feels like nobody cares about Mandalorian season 3. I feel like Disney just diluted the brand too much in season 2 and the Boba Fett show.

It may not be generating a lot of discourse, but I guarantee it's still doing numbers. SA and Twitter are bubbles and you're probably just not seeing people who are all revved up for giant turtle fight and all the Babus Frick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's weird because I recall people being hype as poo poo after season 2, everyone hating BoBF except for the two Mando episodes which everyone loving loved, and then Obi-Wan, which most people didn't like, and Andor, which a lot of people think is the best thing SW of all time. But Mu Zeta is right, it's certainly not as hype as it has been, and in fact people seemed to be down as hell on it going in.

Drew Margaery at least didn't realize there was a secret season 2.5, which is probably the case for a lot of people and also why that was probably a dumb idea on Favreau's part, even though the eps themselves were good.

In terms of tweets, and obviously this is going to be highly dependent on one's own TL, there's almost no excitement about it and the ones I see are like "the only reason I'm watching this piece of poo poo now is [x]" and maybe I just have a cynical hater TL but I wonder how much this has to do with people being mad about BoBF and Obi Wan and generalizing. As far as the lack of hype, I wonder how much the huuuuuge gap between seasons is factoring in, I mean I didn't even realize that the new season was upon us until I saw a random tweet about it. Was there no marketing?

The first episode wasn't great, but it was clearly a reset episode so I'm hopeful they get back on track quickly.

e: I can't find viewership data for e1 yet but the s3 trailer "broke records" so I guess there was some marketing I missed lol

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 3, 2023

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lots of people do seem upset that Mandalorian plot happened in the Boba Fett show. Given that the Boba Fett show was bad, it doesn't seem like it would've been a safe assumption that everyone had seen it, and certainly not that they stuck with it long enough for it to inexplicably turn into literally another, better, show.

I watch all the Star Wars, so I'm part of the problem, but it's a really weird decision.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Luke showing up in the s2 finale was what really killed a bunch of peoples enthusiasm, myself included. S3 premiere makes me cautiously optimistic, hopefully they can continue to stay away from that poo poo and stick to this fun pirates thing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I think Luke showing up in the s2 finale was what really killed a bunch of peoples enthusiasm, myself included. S3 premiere makes me cautiously optimistic, hopefully they can continue to stay away from that poo poo and stick to this fun pirates thing

Man I dunno, I feel like people were insanely hype about that. Not everyone of course, but on balance I do think the reaction was mostly positive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

zoux posted:

Was there no marketing?

I swear this always pops up somewhere when a new season of something hits.

Yes, yes there was marketing. Maybe you didn't see it, but you can generally assume multi-million dollar productions have a pretty big marketing push.

Also, not saying this is you specifically, but....

Uses browser ad blockers, ad free streaming services, doesn't watch live TV.......is later surprised when something new comes out and asks why they didn't see any marketing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Escobarbarian posted:

zoux posted:

Man I dunno, I feel like people were insanely hype about that. Not everyone of course, but on balance I do think the reaction was mostly positive.

Yeah, I was about to say, most people (not here) lost their poo poo over Luke showing up for the season 2 finale, in a good way. I don't think that was a problem for the show.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 3, 2023

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I feel like a broken record itt, but goons have little grasp on what is popular. There's not a thread for a single non-sports show in the top 100 of broadcasts in 2022. That's totally fine, but it's ridiculous to pretend we're anywhere near popular consensus.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That Mando episode was good, you don’t really have to overthink the Boba Fett stuff, it’s just a fun adventure story. I wish they had put out more than one episode like they did with Andor, though, since it’s mostly table setting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Enjoyed the new episode of The Mandalorian, it was fine, and I love the ridiculous design of the Pirate King... but yeah, I don't like his new ship. Or rather, I don't like it as the vehicle of choice for Mando, it seems wildly impractical for a single dad whose job is capturing people and taking them places.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jerusalem posted:

Enjoyed the new episode of The Mandalorian, it was fine, and I love the ridiculous design of the Pirate King... but yeah, I don't like his new ship. Or rather, I don't like it as the vehicle of choice for Mando, it seems wildly impractical for a single dad whose job is capturing people and taking them places.

Is he even a bounty hunter anymore, though? Like, what's the last bounty he collected?

What is he doing for money lately, actually?

edit: Is what he was doing at the beginning of his first Book of Boba episode bounty hunting? Or was that collecting something for the armorer? I legit can't remember.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 3, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Was actually legit hoping he would take up the offer to be the marshall and make that planet basically the base of his operations, give Grogu some security/grounding and still leave room for him to zip about in space as required.

Think about your kid, Mando, your 90-year-old kid!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jerusalem posted:

Was actually legit hoping he would take up the offer to be the marshall and make that planet basically the base of his operations, give Grogu some security/grounding and still leave room for him to zip about in space as required.

Me too, that would've been fun. I really don't like his cult mom.

Also the ship is fine? It's a space horse.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

"I think... I think he's trying to get me fired?" :lol:

Happily trying to get me fired. Man that line has been stuck in my head

E: and Jerusalem you must have had some excitement seeing those actors again

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope this season ends with Mando realising the cult is stupid and taking his helmet off all the time, now we’ve got TLOU I just want to see Pascal emote more

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jerusalem posted:

Agreed. I'm hoping that's what the show is building towards, especially showing how the town is improving every season. Let them settle down by the series finale, their adventures at an end.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Escobarbarian posted:

I hope this season ends with Mando realising the cult is stupid and taking his helmet off all the time, now we’ve got TLOU I just want to see Pascal emote more

This is speculation I saw on Twitter, using trailer footage, but I'm not going to link it because it feels so on the money that I think it's practically a spoiler.

Remember the shots in the trailer that showed Din moving among the other Mandos, seemingly near the same cave as the opening of this episode where they were christening the kid?

I'd give it good odds that this is from the end of this season, after Din has redeemed himself, and it's Grogu receiving his helmet and being welcomed into the Mando clan.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought one of the main appeals for Pedro Pascal was that mando was basically a voice acting job. He'll take off the helmet in one or two scenes.

theflyingexecutive posted:

It may not be generating a lot of discourse, but I guarantee it's still doing numbers. SA and Twitter are bubbles and you're probably just not seeing people who are all revved up for giant turtle fight and all the Babus Frick.

Yeah it's the lack of discourse that's surprising to me. The show used to get a ton of writeups but with season 3 there's barely a blip so far.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 4, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I had no idea there was a sci-fi spin-off show from Mick Garris' Masters of Horror, called Masters of Science Fiction, anyone catch any episodes? I saw Frakes directed one, I'm really curious to check it out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought one of the main appeals for Pedro Pascal was that mando was basically a voice acting job. He'll take off the helmet in one or two scenes.

The problem is that his scenes in Book of Boba Fett were moving in the wrong direction for me and some other people, where he needs to be accepted by the other Mandalorians for the heinous crime of taking off his helmet, instead of telling those assholes to shove it. It suggests he won't be taking it off much in the future, either.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah basically. I don’t actually really care about seeing him with his helmet off (TLOU is just a reminder of what a good face he has) but the lil cult he’s part of are so lame and I want Mando to realise that

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ruddiger posted:

I had no idea there was a sci-fi spin-off show from Mick Garris' Masters of Horror, called Masters of Science Fiction, anyone catch any episodes? I saw Frakes directed one, I'm really curious to check it out.

I remember the first episode being pretty good. I don't really remember the rest.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We were talking about the funniest single bits in TV history a few weeks back and I'm utterly ashamed I forgot to mention this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGHNwrBLTfs

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was there supposed to be any way of knowing that the Boba Fett show contained Mando story in it without watching it? I honestly had no idea. I started watching Mandolorian because I had nothing else to watch over winter break and enjoyed it, then I started watching Boba Fett because I still had nothing else to watch and was surprised that it had major Mandolorian story in it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cojawfee posted:

Was there supposed to be any way of knowing that the Boba Fett show contained Mando story in it without watching it? I honestly had no idea. I started watching Mandolorian because I had nothing else to watch over winter break and enjoyed it, then I started watching Boba Fett because I still had nothing else to watch and was surprised that it had major Mandolorian story in it.

I have no idea why they did it this way, it sucks so much poo poo

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Sure are some Star Wars rear end creatures in the new Mandalorian.

Edit: not a bad thing

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arist posted:

I have no idea why they did it this way, it sucks so much poo poo

It also resulted in almost half of this premiere episode (the entire Enclave/Armorer opening and then going to Bo) only existing to retell the plot of the Mando episodes from BoBF to people who didn’t watch BoBF.

Armorer: “Hey you loving heathen you gotta go take a bath on Mandalore but it’s all hosed up”
Mando: “Well I’m gonna do it anyway”

Bo: “You hosed all my plans up and now you’re gonna go to this specific place for your cult you dipshit”
Mando: *pins sidequest location to HUD*

Everything revealed in both scenes was already established in the opening of the Bryce Dallas Howard BoBF episode. The only thing the premiere added was a bunch of embarrassing cosplay Mandos fighting a giant animal like morons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Quoting Sepinwall’s newsletter

quote:

At some point, I may have to just accept defeat on my argument that shared universe shows and movies should reward people who watch everything without punishing the viewers who don’t. But for now, it’s still worth railing against, because it’s hugely annoying.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jerusalem posted:

Follow the Preacher model, have him spend the third quarter of his arc as the sheriff of a backwater town where he takes down racists and corporate landlords :preacher:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The "secret" season episodes are entirely stand alone so you can watch only them without getting any Boba Fett cross contamination.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zero One posted:

The "secret" season episodes are entirely stand alone so you can watch only them without getting any Boba Fett cross contamination.

Honestly that's part of why I think they're bad.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh I don't like it either. But at least they did them as whole bonus episodes instead of little segments in a half dozen eps.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You still have to watch the finale which is a blend of Boba and Mando to see Mando and Grogu re-united, but the fight scene has a rancor so it's cool I guess.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Still can’t believe they didn’t keep Danny Trejo around for more episodes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How many dang bubba fetts and yoder's are running around out there they need two shows about em

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

Was there no marketing?

Even here in Norway the posters for the show is pretty much at every bus and subway stop. There was marketing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Honestly that's part of why I think they're bad.

It sucks for both shows, even though Boba sucked already.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Khanstant posted:

How many dang bubba fetts and yoder's are running around out there they need two shows about em

90s nerd memes: “I have a mint in box Boba Fett :awesome:

Lucasfilm for the next 30 years: oh you like Boba Fett do you? Well then have ALL THE BOBA FETTS IN THE WORLD

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Galactic Misadventures of Robert Fettuccine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Hello Tomorrow continues to be interesting, and I think this episode confirmed that there are people living on the moon, but the timeshares being sold are a scam