Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A counteroffensive around Bakhmut would be quite bizarre, since all targets behind that frontline on the Russian side are hard. Really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

A counteroffensive around Bakhmut would be quite bizarre, since all targets behind that frontline on the Russian side are hard. Really hard.

If Ukraine is to achieve their goals it will have to happen some day. But you have a point that they'd just be pushing through Russia's largest force to then come up against the part of Donetsk that Russia has been fortifying since 2014. So attacking elsewhere and trying to cut off other major supply routes would make sense.

It just feels bad to watch them slowly lose ground here and not be able to do much more about it, but winning a war versus winning a battle etc.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Orthanc6 posted:

If Ukraine is to achieve their goals it will have to happen some day. But you have a point that they'd just be pushing through Russia's largest force to then come up against the part of Donetsk that Russia has been fortifying since 2014. So attacking elsewhere and trying to cut off other major supply routes would make sense.

It just feels bad to watch them slowly lose ground here and not be able to do much more about it, but winning a war versus winning a battle etc.

Oh, they'll absolutely have to go there – it's just going to be 10 times easier to do the frontline smash somewhere up north, move eastwards past the Donbas fortifications, and hook south to hit them from the rear. Historically, combat density was the greatest around Donetsk city, so that's where you have the highest concentration of historic battlements dating back to 2014.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The Nazis had Leningrad under siege from like 1941 to 1944. The Soviet Union made major progress on other fronts before they finally relieved Leningrad.

I feel that Bakhmut and Mariupol are examples of this situation so the Ukrainian army can find a weak point somewhere else.

Breaking the Crimean land bridge could make an enormous strategic difference in this war and I would see that as the highest priority for Ukraine to demonstrate to its western partners that it can win.

If they use their leopards and long range missiles to break the Russians at Bakhmut it wont achieve much beyond reinforcing the status quo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's hard to underestimate russian competence, but a direct push south would be hitting vastly more russians and fortifications than anywhere else, wouldn't it?

I see that getting theorycrafted all over western twitter as if one big blitzkrieg can cut to Mariupol and win the day. The Cinci plan seems more realistic given the ukrainians clearly know what they are doing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's hard to underestimate russian competence, but a direct push south would be hitting vastly more russians and fortifications than anywhere else, wouldn't it?

I see that getting theorycrafted all over western twitter as if one big blitzkrieg can cut to Mariupol and win the day. The Cinci plan seems more realistic given the ukrainians clearly know what they are doing.

Direct push south from where? Do you mean 2014-2021, or 2022+ fortifications?

The largest number of 2014–2021 fortifications is around Donetsk city from "LDNR" side, and Slovyansk-Kramatorsk from the government side. That's why Ukrainians are not expected to be doing any frontal attacks there (well, in addition to Donetsk being a big city), and that's why (I assume) Russian invasion force did pile the majority 2022+ fortifications on the Zaporizhzhia front, since for much of 2022 northern Luhansk oblast' looked relatively safe/optimistic to their planners, and disrupting the “land bridge” is likely the most important thing that AFU can do to destabilize Russia's current posture in Ukraine.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Nenonen posted:

The goal was to have like a thousand T-14's operational by 2018 or so. As well as the rest of the whole Armata family of vehicles!¨

Instead T-62's have been brought to service.
Actually 2300 by the early 2020s. Production collapsed after the 2014, probably something to do with the sanctions applied.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Russian Defence Industry has had chronic problems, this pre-war article does a really good deep dive into them: https://www.russiamatters.org/analysis/russias-defense-industry-and-its-influence-policy-stuck-redistributive-feedback-loop

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

The south of Ukraine thaws and dries earlier than it does in the east/northeast regions. It's not super significant (about a week's difference more or less) but if you gently caress it up like Putin did, it can be very bad for you. It's possible the south will be dry enough to launch a counteroffensive while the mud's still a problem further northeast. In my view, the counteroffensive is going to be in the Zaporizhzhia oblast area and likely aimed at severing the land bridge between Crimea and Russia so the likely target for this next particular counteroffensive will be Melitopol, probably not Mariupol this time. Melitopol would be a reasonable target; it's strategically important, threatens the Russians further south with being caught in a pincer between Melitopol and Kherson, makes Russia decide whether to defend Mariupol direction or Crimea direction, leaves Ukraine a lot of flexibility in what to do next.
I’d expect an offensive to be anywhere between the Dnepr and the Donbass with the target being the coast. As long as they reach the coast, everywhere to the west of that is hosed. I’d think they would rather avoid any large cities and the heaviest fortifications and concentration of forces. They can take cities like Meltiopol once the Russians are cut off.

There were some maps posted with the distribution of forces. There it looked like the weakest spot would be in the region west of Vuledar pushing south towards Berdiansk.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Doesn’t the Russian navy control the sea of azov? Can you actually sever the land bridge when part of it is subject to naval bombardment and even amphibious landing? It seems really optimistic, is there something less sweeping they could try for?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Magic Underwear posted:

Doesn’t the Russian navy control the sea of azov? Can you actually sever the land bridge when part of it is subject to naval bombardment and even amphibious landing? It seems really optimistic, is there something less sweeping they could try for?

Yeah, tell that to Moskva lol. They're loaded with coastal defence missiles, and “sever” means “firing position on the last remaining road for cargo trucks”.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Magic Underwear posted:

There aren't that many ships left of the Russian Black Sea fleet, and Ukraine has demonstrated considerable anti-ship capabilities. It's not a force to be feared.

It has primarily been used to launch long-range missiles. There aren't any battleships or other large floating guns they could bring to bear.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Can’t be reinforced either, I believe. Turkey has that straight on lockdown, as far as the Russians are concerned.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Icon Of Sin posted:

Can’t be reinforced either, I believe. Turkey has that straight on lockdown, as far as the Russians are concerned.

Do they still have that massive chain on the Bosporus that they can lift up to block ships?

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Magic Underwear posted:

Naval bombardment is not a realistic option, and if the front lines are pushed so far from the Sea of Azov that an amphibious landing makes sense, Russia has probably already lost Crimea.

Edit: It is probably better to think of the Russian land forces as protecting the naval forces on the sea rather than the reverse.

saratoga fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 4, 2023

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
There's an article on the Modern War Institute suggesting the US should bring back the Coast Artillery as a branch (as distinct from Field Artillery). It also noted that we basically already have the equipment in the form of MLRS and HIMARS launchers: we just need more surface-to-ship missiles to be fired from them.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

Do they still have that massive chain on the Bosporus that they can lift up to block ships?

That was across the Golden Horn, iirc

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
don't think i saw this posted

external management to be introduced at enterprises shirking state defense order

quote:

MOSCOW, March 3. /TASS/. The Russian authorities will introduce external management at any enterprises which fail to fulfill their obligations under the state defense order in conditions of martial law.

The powers of shareholders and management of such business entities will be suspended. The relevant decree has been signed by President Vladimir Putin.

According to the document, if companies violate their obligations under defense contracts, including the supply of products, the rights of shareholders of such companies and the powers of their management bodies will be suspended "until martial law is lifted."

Based on the proposals of the Industry and Trade Ministry, a managing structure will be determined for the violating company, which will receive the powers of the executive body at the enterprise, as well as the powers of meetings of shareholders or the board of directors ("to the extent necessary to fulfill obligations under the state defense order.")

The Russian government was instructed "to form a working group under the collegium of the Military-Industrial Commission of the Russian Federation on the activities of business entities participating in the implementation of the state defense order during martial law," the decree says. This working group will evaluate the activities of companies participating in the state defense order and form "a position on issues related to the suspension of the rights of shareholders of such business entities." Based on the decisions of the working group, the Industry and Trade Ministry will issue relevant regulatory legal acts.

The government was also instructed to take necessary measures to protect the labor rights of employees at violating enterprises and protect government funds invested in these business entities.

Currently, martial law in Russia was introduced by presidential decree of October 19, 2022 in the territories of the People’s Republics of Donetsk and Lugansk, as well as the Zaporozhye and Kherson regions.

my reading of this is that for now it doesn't mean very much, because there isn't any war production being done in the regions under martial law, but to me it seems like a pretty clear threat to the russian defense industry

maybe someone more familiar with the internal politics of russia could weigh in if there's anything actually behind this or if it's theater to further the sentiment that putin is being disserved by the corrupt bureaucracy and he's not to blame for all the problems

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Antigravitas posted:

I know this is a strict no humour / no sarcasm zone, but my read on the post was "wow, this is so unbelievably badly executed you'd be forgiven to think it's a conspiracy".

The more obvious explanation is hubris and structural/doctrinal problems, of course.

You are correct. The person who took me literally is amusing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Phone posting so apologize if this doesn’t link properly

https://youtu.be/xmtqXovLhv4

Anders Puck Nielsen (who appears to be a thread favorite) had a guest on who’s an anti-war Russian politician living in Israel for sake of his own freedom/safety. Regulars here probably won’t find too much new here. The guy has his own fairly successful YT channel with English subtitles for western viewers.

What did y’all think about the interview and Maxim?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Huggybear posted:

You wrote a dumb post and got called on it. Take the loss and move on.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Taking a brief break from Bakhmut, Novaya Gazeta has done an in-depth analysis of pro-Russian voting patterns in the European Parliament. This might be a bit dry if you're not following EU politics proper, but I found it interesting to see someone finally do the maths on all the usual suspects. https://euobserver.com/world/156762

To the surprise of absolutely nobody with pulse and half a brain, Czech SPD is on the list.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

Turkey‘s naval fleet is probably superior to the Russian black sea fleet these days. They bought several larger ships from Germany (modern ones) and I think from the UK too.

Not sure if they‘d really use their fleet to block the Bosporus if Russia tried to bring more ships in but I think that point is moot because Russia is scared to use their currently present ships already.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I don't think feeding elite units into this fight is worth it. Better to use them in counter attacks elsewhere if they want to relieve pressure on Bakhmut

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1631948412772835330

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Huggybear posted:

Freudian slippers posted:

You wrote a dumb post and got called on it. Take the loss and move on.

Folks, hash this e-honour thing out in PMs or like meet at 6pm behind the supermarket or whatever.

buglord posted:

Anders Puck Nielsen (who appears to be a thread favorite)

It's two-three (mostly) Danish goons posting their local expert.

Charlz Guybon posted:

I don't think feeding elite units into this fight is worth it. Better to use them in counter attacks elsewhere if they want to relieve pressure on Bakhmut

This is where mobilization comes into play, that you have to do quite a bit of counter-attacking to create an urgent need to pull troops from an ongoing operation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Icon Of Sin posted:

The Baltic-Volga-Don canal system could be used to bring in some ships, but draught (as well as height) puts a limit on the size of ships. So cruisers are right out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Deep_Water_System_of_European_Russia

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1631916378578984960

Shoygu has made the rare appearance in Ukraine, allegedly.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Tahirovic posted:

Turkey‘s naval fleet is probably superior to the Russian black sea fleet these days. They bought several larger ships from Germany (modern ones) and I think from the UK too.

Not sure if they‘d really use their fleet to block the Bosporus if Russia tried to bring more ships in but I think that point is moot because Russia is scared to use their currently present ships already.

They absolutely would. Bosporus goes right past their capital, if a military ship tries to cross without permission they'll treat it basically the same as how US would treat it if a foreign military power tried to sail an armed vessel up the Potomac past DC.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tuna-Fish posted:

They absolutely would. Bosporus goes right past their capital, if a military ship tries to cross without permission they'll treat it basically the same as how US would treat it if a foreign military power tried to sail an armed vessel up the Potomac past DC.
Istanbul is their largest and richest city, but it's not the capital. It's more analogous to sailing up the Hudson past NYC.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Tuna-Fish posted:

While I agree with the point, I got some news about the capital of 🇹🇷

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tuna-Fish posted:

I believe Ankara is the capital of Türkiye, though I suspect your conjecture remains valid.

e: f/b

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Trying to decide if this is an intentional OpenAI joke on the part of anyone here or if this is just an "art imitates life" situation

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Oops. Well, it's the commercial heart of the country. More like sailing up the Hudson then?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
And I really don't like Moscow on the Hudson.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

OddObserver posted:

MT-LB continues being a very flexible platform:
https://mobile.twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1631676199394062342
(Not sure how well it will corner with THAT, though).
There's at least two of them.
https://twitter.com/zloneversleep/status/1631990343888433152
I wonder if it's intended as some sort of anti-drone tool; a janky gepard without the clever stuff.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's at least two of them.
https://twitter.com/zloneversleep/status/1631990343888433152
I wonder if it's intended as some sort of anti-drone tool; a janky gepard without the clever stuff.

It's kinda hard to do a sneak and peak when you're over 10 feet tall

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

That's my city!

They're all as cooked as each other!

Fortunately I don't think we have even an anti-vaccer in state parliament here, let alone someone on the Russian payroll. It'll be forgotten by tomorrow morning.

Hello Adelaide goon friend!

I found out yesterday two of my co-workers went to that protest, which is going to lead to some awkward coffee break talk tomorrow.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

NTRabbit posted:

It's kinda hard to do a sneak and peak when you're over 10 feet tall

You can drive behind a house or a small hill and be completely hull down, though.

I really thought it was a fake when the first photo arised, like maybe the 2M-3 was behind the chassis. But no... that thing raises the center of mass really high, it can't handle well in terrain.

What's very interesting is that Russia already had a MT-LB variant, the MT-LBM-6MB which has a BTR-80A turret with 30mm autocannon. I guess those are just too expensive to make and they probably had plenty of spare naval turrets in storage so it was a quick'n'easy job to bring more "mobile" "armoured" "firepower" to replace losses. Just amazing.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
All of this is why I wonder if they're intended for anti-drone duty. They clearly have questionable mobility, so use them away from moving frontlines. Park them up at strategic locations until a drone is spotted, and hope you can light up the sky enough to take down the drone(s). Google says they have a range of 2.5km and a AA ceiling of 1.7km.

Or this is the Russians. So we'll see them at the front line.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pretty sure I've seen the Ukrainians drive around in technicals with a 30 or 50 cal on the back to shoot down drones too.

fake edit:

yeah

https://www.euractiv.com/section/global-europe/news/ukraine-downs-swarm-of-iran-made-attack-drones-over-kyiv/