Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Harminoff posted:

Switch is looking pretty worthless these days.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, the switch remains like one of the best consoles of all time. Not that the deck is bad (its also one of the greatest in my mind), but cmon

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There’s room on this earth for two amazing portable devices.

Just like there’s room for the Xbox /ps5 and the Pc.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Everything I've tried to play with Switch emulation has not gone very well, so I still have plenty of use for the thing. The switch is still the go to for convenience really, the deck is just awkward enough that I have to be in the mood for using it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I'm not really sure what the best experience I've had with Switch emulation has been, but it's not really the Deck's fault. Either way you still need the legit hardware around

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They're different products with different libraries
There also lots of overlap when it comes to third-party titles and especially indies.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The reason the Deck did so good is because of the Switch. It's also very small and way more user-friendly, making it perfect for children and people who don't want to gently caress with Linux.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

unruly posted:

Yeah, once I got Heroic in my steam library, it's great that I can play Cuphead and others right from the UI, instead of having to flip to desktop mode and run heroic from there.

I never got Assassin's Creed Valhalla working through Heroic Launcher.

It would download, but launching it would just make the Deck freeze.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s doing you a favour ACV is rear end

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s doing you a favour ACV is rear end

I played it on PC and enjoyed it for what it was.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Annath posted:

I played it on PC and enjoyed it for what it was.

rear end can be fun.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Switch walked at 30 fps so the Deck could run at 40 to save battery life

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The deck does make me wonder what nintendo's game plan will be after the switch because the deck does fill the void of a nintendo switch pro

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i will be sorely disappointed if they just make a slightly better switch (32 fps) instead of some stupid nintendo boondoggle with a proprietary controller you hook inside one nostril

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lord Lambeth posted:

The deck does make me wonder what nintendo's game plan will be after the switch because the deck does fill the void of a nintendo switch pro

There's no reason for Nintendo not to just make a better, higher quality, more powerful Switch. :shrug:

Make it literally just more processing power, more RAM, etc, all that, leave the architecture the same, so it has native backwards compatibility (like how the GC - Wii - WiiU went), while making more and more technically advanced games.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Switch is a great console for the kids and for party games. Playing latest games on it is a secondary concern. I use mine for Ring Fit and whenever we get together with the family to play Mario Kart.

Deck's for people who are serious about their casual gaming.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a deadly serious and deadly casual gamer

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There's no reason for Nintendo not to just make a better, higher quality, more powerful Switch. :shrug:

Make it literally just more processing power, more RAM, etc, all that, leave the architecture the same, so it has native backwards compatibility (like how the GC - Wii - WiiU went), while making more and more technically advanced games.
My--very generous--guess is that Nintendo is going to do exactly this. They'll clock down the CPU/GPU so that original Switch games will run exactly as they do today, but silently update first-party titles to improve performance on the new hardware while not offering that capability to third-parties. Switch Prime titles will be separates SKUs in the store, forcing people to have to decide which version to purchase.

Whereas future Decks will play current Steam games like the current Deck, but with the option of better performance, improved battery, or both.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Heroic uses the same stuff to run them as Steam, they'll run just as well. You don't get the shader cache downloads or anything else Steam does though.

Great, I just installed Stubbs, Hand of Fate 2, and Void Bastards from Epic. I didn’t realize how easy it was to put the games into your Steam library, it’s just a checkbox inside settings for the game. I did have a couple of freezes that caused me to need to exit the game in Stubbs, I’ll play around with the proton or wine version to see if that is the fix.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vic posted:

Deck's for people who are serious about their casual gaming.

Whoa, poo poo, that's a very true and heavy statement

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Today I mostly played power wash simulator on my deck whilst jiggling my mouse to stop my screensaver from kicking in

I basically got paid to play power wash simulator

I don’t know if that makes me a pro gamer or a pro cleaner

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

Today I mostly played power wash simulator on my deck whilst jiggling my mouse to stop my screensaver from kicking in

I basically got paid to play power wash simulator

I don’t know if that makes me a pro gamer or a pro cleaner

It makes you a pro employee actually

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Harminoff posted:

Wow they just enabled Ray Tracing on the deck. Wild.

Switch is looking pretty worthless these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdGGR4-dakk

We all lost track of the conversation because of OP attempting to dunk on the switch, but has anyone tried RT? Any good?

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I often have a lot of downtime at work. On a few days, I've brought my deck and even though I'm sitting in an empty classroom with no students and no responsibilities or expectations, I still felt weird breaking it out. Like I've been gaming my whole life and still have so far to go.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So is crankshaft basically dead? It seems like decky is the only one that people talk about anymore.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Decky is a much cooler name and looks better

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

We all lost track of the conversation because of OP attempting to dunk on the switch, but has anyone tried RT? Any good?
It's telling that the video doesn't show any motion with the RT (and it dips to 34fps idling).

I would not expect much out of the deck, given its architecture. Even AMD's flagship cards struggle with RT.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

a) AMD isn't any good at ray tracing
b) The Deck has a weak APU
c) These are the open source nerd drivers, not AMD's official drivers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

It's telling that the video doesn't show any motion with the RT (and it dips to 34fps idling).

I would not expect much out of the deck, given its architecture. Even AMD's flagship cards struggle with RT.

he's also running at 1900

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c89wGH5XOM

This video he said you could prob get a really decent frame rate going to medium.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

nvm wrong video

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

A Friday gift:

Vampire Survivor's new engine is out for testing in a beta branch:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VampireSurvivors/comments/11g8zcg/update_steam_beta_v13201_new_engine/

Early reports from r/steamdeck are saying its performing much better and staying around a solid 60FPS now.

Sorry about the lost weekend everyone

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Lol I was just goofing. I also have a switch
And Xbox series x
And quest v1 and v2
And nreal air

I'm just telling myself that so I don't go buy a deck 2 on day 1.

My Steam Stats look like this, so as you can tell I am a horrible gamer and more of a collector.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 3, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CBD Corndog posted:

A Friday gift:

Vampire Survivor's new engine is out for testing in a beta branch:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VampireSurvivors/comments/11g8zcg/update_steam_beta_v13201_new_engine/

Early reports from r/steamdeck are saying its performing much better and staying around a solid 60FPS now.

Sorry about the lost weekend everyone

Oh man I might have to switch to beta

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm assuming this is what they'll do but it makes me wonder if they'll change the architecture just so their new console isn't emulated anymore. If they keep is the same I don't see why Yuzu and Ryujinx wouldn't keep running Switch 2 stuff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do they care? The switch is a runaway success that prints money for Nintendo. Why change that to slow down (but definitely not stop) a little bit of piracy that amounts to not much money compared to legit sales

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Harminoff posted:

And Xbox series x
And quest v1 and v2
And nreal air

My Steam Stats look like this, so as you can tell I am a horrible gamer and more of a collector.

Looks like you actually play your games. Huh. My stats probably look terrible because I redeem a bunch of free poo poo I'll never play and then play like 10 games a year at most.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MarcusSA posted:

MonoPrice has some chargers on sale.

Monoprice Obsidian Speed USB Wall Charger, 1-Port, 85W PD Output for iPhone, Android, and Galaxy Devices, 6ft USB Type-C Cable Included
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=35944 $16.99

I have two of these and they work great but they are pretty bulky.

Suburban Dad posted:

I bought this and it literally drains my steam deck despite saying it's charging it. It will fast charge my phone (according to the phone but haven't really tested it) but I left the deck plugged in for a day or two and it dropped 75% of charge. I just tested it again today to see if I was crazy and left it for a few hours. It was down 1% from where it was when I charged it. It was in sleep mode for all of this. :wtc: Gonna try to RMA it.

The RMA one does exactly the same poo poo so I don't think this is a good charger I'd recommend for the deck. Seems to work fine for my phone but flat out does not charge the deck at all. It'll calculate a charge time that's lower than my switch charger, but then the battery does not increase.

E: whoops double posted instead of edited.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sigher posted:

I'm assuming this is what they'll do but it makes me wonder if they'll change the architecture just so their new console isn't emulated anymore.
Wouldn't matter, the emulators would just emulate the new thing.

The main issue that enables Switch piracy right now is the 11 million or so hackable units in the wild that Nintendo has to continue supporting with their new software. Any one of those can be used to dump games for piracy.

Like when Nintendo gives out review copies of games the press, they can only be installed on non-hacked units to prevent (or at least make significantly more difficult) game leaks. But when games are released for retail then Nintendo has to make them work on all models since people still own and use launch units.

With the next console Nintendo can restrict any Switch Prime features to only the new units so that only backwards compatible games can be dumped.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 4, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The biggest issue for Nintendo are game leaks that result in spoilers, etc., that aren't covered by Nintendo's embargo because it means they lose control over how their new releases are framed by the press. Like sure they'll still be profitable, but it's a constant thorn to have to deal with people who operate outside of their marketing control.

The second biggest issue is the potential for online cheating and poor experience for legitimate users. Beyond that, yeah, on some level they've probably acknowledged that pirates are going to pirate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Harminoff posted:

And Xbox series x
And quest v1 and v2
And nreal air

Where do you get that stat block?