Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

homeless snail posted:

are you telling me you didn't notice when the ICA was being manipulated by a mysterious Shadow Client, who played the agency against the operatives of the secret society Providence, and their main representative, The Constant? and did you forget that the Shadow Client was actually agent 47's brother, agent 7 aka Lucas Grey who then worked together with 47 to capture The Constant? and then not a lot happened in hitman 2 because they couldn't afford to make cutscenes but then agent 47's friend Diana Burnwood allowed The Constant to escape their boat because Lucas insinuated to 47 that Diana was betraying them (like she does in every game)? but then, 47 and Lucas kill all the heads of Providence AND blow up the secret ICA assassination computer which gives The Constant an opportunity to seize control of Providence aboard his secret train and make Diana the new The Constant completing her betrayal but turns out actually she's only pretending to flip and is still agent 47's friend (like she does in every game!!). only agent 47 can stop the evil The Constant at the front of his murder train, by starting at the back of it and walking in a straight line killing everyone in ever car. missed all that?

But what about Sheik Zanzibar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hes just there for the auction, man

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hitman has incredible writing, its just concentrated into the form of your victims accidentally making double entendres.

Man standing on roof of a building in front of a giant fan: Alright pal, I'll give you a chance to impress me. Blow me away.
Hitman: As you wish sir

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Love that 47's deadpan puns are always fine for the surface level conversation for the victims... except for when he disguises himself as a job applicant at a bank, straight up tells the interviewers during the personality test that his interpretation of the pictures are of murder for hire.... and they're like,"Well poo poo, you're gonna fit right in on the Investment Floor!" and give him the run of the bank :allears:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dewgy posted:

Is Outer Worlds the one where plot-important NPCs were dying because the conversation system made them eternally climb ladders?

It was either that or ME: Andromeda but either way it was a really funny bug and a great investigation story so thanks for reminding me about it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

World of Assassination's story is basically an airport thriller. Absolution's story is just relentlessly gross and hateful and leering. No game should have a level where the intended way to progress is to push the intricately detailed corpse of a murdered stripper onto some cops as a distraction, or a level that's just a big box with you, a mentally disabled man offering to suck your dick and a hundred deadly weapons with which to brutally kill him.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i forget if i posted this already. but who cares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMVFI8HRZLI

this song has absolutely no business going this loving hard

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Dabir posted:

World of Assassination's story is basically an airport thriller. Absolution's story is just relentlessly gross and hateful and leering. No game should have a level where the intended way to progress is to push the intricately detailed corpse of a murdered stripper onto some cops as a distraction, or a level that's just a big box with you, a mentally disabled man offering to suck your dick and a hundred deadly weapons with which to brutally kill him.

Dang, now I'm glad I never got past the first few levels of Absolution.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dabir posted:

Jeez is Absolution the DLC that had no new levels? I didn't buy that one for that reason and seems like a good choice

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Absolution is the game between Blood Money and Hitman

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I beat Creme de la Creme, an IF story about a disgraced noble being sent to a year of finishing school to try and repair the family name. I didn't like it near as much as I thought I would, and it really doesn't deserve the accolades that it seems to have been given.

First off, the characters are all very very on the nose, you got your mean rich girl, your sporty spice, the witch, and the uptight prefect. None of them have any real depth to them beyond their introduction, and the way the novel is set up it. If you go in on a romance or friend option early with one of them it'll shine the light on that one more and more to the point that near the entire rest of the cast becomes entirely ancillary until the very end.

The stats are also kind of a mess, it's not a Fantasy game so they can't go back to that well so easy, but to replace it with such utterly undiscript stat blocks like. Flair and Poise. Question, which stat will help you in fencing? I'll give you the answer. Intrigue not because it's the right stat, but because the game is so unbalanced that you can simply cheat your way into winning everything. Need good grades, steal answers, blackmail teachers. Win the school competition? Sabotage all your opponents. I had perfect grades, won the competition, and unseated the headmistress by lying, cheating, and stealing at every opportunity. RTJ might find that amusing, but I don't love having a single stat so dominant.

Thirdly the actual plot is sort of nonsense, I don't know if you cat's every played Black Closet, but it's got a similar plot. You play as a final year student at an exclusive school and use your Student Council powers to root out baddies and advance your ambition. That game did a pretty good job of having an interesting, and not too far out climax at the end. Something that is suitably epic while still being within the realm of possibility for the game and for New London.

Creme etc. instead comes up with a main plot that is facile and ridiculous in execution and conception. The head mistress has been selling the expelled students into slavery. Goofy enough as is, she's also doing so to rather powerful young ladies of the society. And covering her tracks by just pretending they went on holiday. And the slave mines she's keeping them in are right next to the school. And she has her students serve lunch to them for credit. The whole idea behind it is loving kookoo banana's stupid.

I really just don't think you needed any more to the main plot then to have a competition against the rival school, make your family name mean something again, and get hitched to your partner of choice. It feels out of place, and drags the game down.

As a whole, I thought it was alright. I don't regret playing it, but I wouldn't go in expecting a particularly well written or unorthodox product.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dabir posted:

World of Assassination's story is basically an airport thriller.

Absolutely, and they lean into it pretty hard in a fun way, with most of the optional contract missions named like Robert Ludlum stories, and the basic gameplay/story of a perfect killer with a mysterious past who gets sent to exotic locations where he fits in perfectly by an efficient handler who manages the actual business side of his work.

By comparison...

Dabir posted:

Absolution's story is just relentlessly gross and hateful and leering. No game should have a level where the intended way to progress is to push the intricately detailed corpse of a murdered stripper onto some cops as a distraction, or a level that's just a big box with you, a mentally disabled man offering to suck your dick and a hundred deadly weapons with which to brutally kill him.

Yep, Absolution is just nasty, mean-spirited, astonishingly mysognistic and the story doesn't make any goddamn sense even past the surface level shittiness. It's really, really awful, and as referenced in my earlier post it was actually perhaps for the best that despite selling like 5 million copies, Square declared it a financial disappointment.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
wo long sucks a fat dong so i said so long

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think Wo Long is finally going to be the game to bring my 1070 to its knees... even at minimum effects and knocking down the resolution i'm still getting massive slowdown --- which uh i guess helps with me timing parries lol but is not great

I suppose I could play it on PS5...

I have resolved this problem in case anyone experiences it, I can't believe it's actually this but when I looked up discussion about it someone suggested if you set your maximum frame rate cap to 120 it actually causes the slowdown...

When I set it to cap at 60fps the slowdown really did go away lol

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pwnstar posted:

you can decide "nah, I can wing it" and slam the button, flying immediately straight into the sun.
That's Outer Wilds again

Waffleman_ posted:

World of Assassination has a story?
It's got a whole thing where the people you're killing are part of a super evil secret cabal to explain how they're so blatantly evil and actually deserving death, as if being ultrarich CEOs/shareholders/politicians/drug lords wouldn't be reason enough.

Waffleman_ posted:

Why can't they do that on PC
The super simplified version is that in the DX12/Vulkan generation some lower level things that using to not be part of the compilation now are. So what's you'd compile in the past was only the universal stuff, the shader program itself, and that could be reused across all GPUs and drivers, but now each driver needs specific stuff, called PSOs (pipeline state objects). On console it's easy to precompile because that doesn't change, while on PC there are tons of GPUs with tons of driver versions. You need a different PSO cache for each of those.

As a dev unless you're hugely super big you cannot just compile a cache for each hardware/driver variation that exists, some of them you don't even know exist.

So, it's much more feasible to compile it all client-side. Just precompile for local driver settings before the game starts, right? Should only take minutes, right? Well, as I said the thing is it's a lot lower level. Like, want two different settings for MSAA? That's now two separate PSOs for whichever shaders would be using it. The combinatorial explosion is huge, would take hours. So, only compile the subset you need. How do you know that subset? You don't. Gotta run the game to know that, unless your tech team or even your actual tool pipeline had an iron leash on devs to keep permutations strictly under control. Doom Eternal does that to some extent for example, but normally a modern pipeline allows artists and devs to run wild.

The only time at which you can exactly know you need a PSO you didn't know you needed is right when it's needed, what programmers call "just in time", which is shop talk for "too late most of the time".

There are mitigation strategies. You can run a placeholder PSO that looks/runs "close enough" while you compile the real one aynchronously for future frames, although that requires some engineering. You can, of course, keep a cache of previously compiled PSOs, but that'll be invalidated with driver updates. To mitigate that, you can keep a cache of previously encoutered PSO permutations, so that you do have your subset of actually used states and how often they are used, which makes rebuilding the PSO cache on startup/progressively in the background much faster. And you can upload both those caches online to build a big repository from which other players can pull, which means in the long run your game will perform better, but in the first few days while the worldwide caches are being built, is when it'll perform the worst, incidentally exactly when it shouldn't.

TL;DR too many different GPU/drivers on PC, gotta stutter until your cache is built, and it can go poof at any time.

Ironically the intent of that whole PSO rigmarole was to reduce stutter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this was from yesterday but gently caress it oh man I had the biggest loving smile on my face watching that, heavyarms custom is my absolute favorite mech from any gundam

Kerrzhe posted:

I love that he commits and makes a pizza

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/CrazyNomura/status/1631823047085948928?t=jmsMH1-DrfU1dul1_G686A&s=19

Well

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have my doubts that's really Nomura

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nomura this, thank you!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nah

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No I would not buy that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm lying though I probably would buy that.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Sakurazuka posted:

I have my doubts that's really Nomura

:doh: that's what I get for morning posting

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I want more belts damnit, fake Nomura you had one job

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

I'm lying though I probably would buy that.

Yeah

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

exquisite tea posted:

Nomura this, thank you!

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Just give me the cancelled DLC's, Aranea was robbed

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Kerrzhe posted:

song and game are so good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TarksGauntlet/status/1631809089385660416?t=AE37AXSis8D304RM_z8NKQ&s=19

Morgan Webb just casually dropping replacement theory on live cable television to segue into making fun of a GameCube game.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/TarksGauntlet/status/1631809089385660416?t=AE37AXSis8D304RM_z8NKQ&s=19

Morgan Webb just casually dropping replacement theory on live cable television to segue into making fun of a GameCube game.

Oh my loving yikes :ohno:

Guess G4 wasn't worth reviving in the end huh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The greatest sin a game can commit is characters saying the main character's name

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

dawn of the future is trash and should be confined to the trashy tie in novel

e: also this account’s bio still uses the belts and zippers meme. get with the times, he moved on to plaid ages ago

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

That certainly was a period of television

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I was not prepared for how poo poo that “review” was.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

G4 really wanted to be "MTV for Gamers" and it showed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also Sagi doesn't even rhyme with sake

stop saying it wrong

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/thespherehunter/status/1631772604909654016

What on earth...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
X play got worse and worse as it went on, in 2004 they were doing respectable reviews of things like SMT Nocturne but eventually it all turned into stuff like that Baten Kaitos review. The channel really tried to turn up the edge after the 360 launched

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Wow, that g4 review dug right past rock bottom. I never really watched g4 much, but i'm surprised they went that far since they also put out this skit about SMT Nocturne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlJrEwEMIpM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

G4 employed Tommy Tallarico to fail to review games and promote his own upcoming releases so, no, the network was never smart.