Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
find the div the feed is in, kill it with adblock, now its ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah I really don't want to put a public profile out there either.

yeah that's part of it too. i try to keep my work and personal lives very separate and ever since i had even heard of the concept it was very off-putting

Asleep Style posted:

add former coworkers, put your resume in your profile, and never ever look at the home feed

i guess i can try this. not today though i've done enough job search related poo poo and it's driving me nuts lol

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I'm definitely sympathetic to the not wanting a public profile aspect, I'm not thrilled with that either. the flip side is that anecdotally this is also true for me:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

linkedin is great and found me both my last and current job

like just fell into my lap requiring no effort at all on my part

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

find the div the feed is in, kill it with adblock, now its ok

i'd do this but the feed serves as a good reminder to disconnect from shitheads from time to time so i leave it there

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

linkedin is great and found me both my last and current job

like just fell into my lap requiring no effort at all on my part

not saying it'll be that easy for you but that's where almost everyone is

This was true for me too. Recruiters constantly bug me on LinkedIn, and it's how I've found every job I've had in the last 15 years.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

not saying its right, but ive known a couple recruiters who think its weird/sus/a red flag if you dont have a linkedin.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

post hole digger posted:

not saying its right, but ive known a couple recruiters who think its weird/sus/a red flag if you dont have a linkedin.

lol of course they do, the site basically does their job for them

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

lol of course they do, the site basically does their job for them

yeah i imagine most of them spend like 90%+ of their work day on it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
My tactic of searching tech job boards and applying directly to the company website has worked out the best for me, gently caress recruiters and linkedin.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

dioxazine posted:

can't believe you got a 32h work week that fully pays and has no gotchas

congratulations!

ya it’s wild

KidDynamite posted:

goongrats. i just shot out an application to a 4 day place because of this post.

thanks im pretty stoked about it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

post hole digger posted:

getting reall boss baby vibes from this guy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

polyester concept posted:

got a good offer at a new place that has a 4 day work week. hell yes. better health benefits too.

are they hiring a remote moron?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

got a good offer at a new place that has a 4 day work week. hell yes. better health benefits too.

Does your new boss need a new boss? If so, hit me up.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

me too coincidentally. it’s gonna rule.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Erwin posted:

me too coincidentally. it’s gonna rule.

are you also hiring a remote moron

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

are you also hiring a remote moron

I am a remote moron but I don’t start for a few weeks so I don’t know if they need more or not

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i, also being a moron, have somehow scheduled two interviews for myself back to back today and have maybe 30 minutes wiggle room if the first one runs long

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

dioxazine posted:

i, also being a moron, have somehow scheduled two interviews for myself back to back today and have maybe 30 minutes wiggle room if the first one runs long

i've never had an interview go more than 10 over. but 20-30 minutes to regroup for another interview seems fine. hell you might even perform better.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

my brain is blasted and leaking out of my ears and i think i'll pass on both of these even if they want to progress to the next stage as the compensation is too low for what they want done that wasn't listed in the job description

for the record, one ran 57 minutes and the other 41. both were slotted for 30

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

yeah gently caress that. usually when i go over is because we i have more questions and i make sure they don't have a hard stop.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

dioxazine posted:

:yossame: except it's coffee with four different people at four different places in Copenhagen

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

champagne posting posted:

:yossame: except it's coffee with four different people at four different places in Copenhagen

... and they don't even know you actually live in Copenhagen, NY

hey it needed a punchline

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

champagne posting posted:

at least danish coffee is really good! i went to Prolog _a lot_ when i was there

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i got a good job through linkedin despite never reading or writing a single post on it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

just had an early morning interview with a hiring manager who didn't understand how timezones worked

at the end, they mentioned that the role's maximum pay was roughly 30% lower than my minimum. good luck with that and thanks for wasting my time!

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

dioxazine posted:

just had an early morning interview with a hiring manager who didn't understand how timezones worked

at the end, they mentioned that the role's maximum pay was roughly 30% lower than my minimum. good luck with that and thanks for wasting my time!

sounds like you dodged a timezone-shaped bullet in their codebase

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jesus WEP posted:

i simply had my old manager poach me when he moved jobs, you should try doing that op

hell, same

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

PokeJoe posted:

are they hiring a remote moron?

not anymore I don’t think lol

the job wasn’t even posted anywhere, I got referred by a friend :clint:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is it bad to have a linkedin you never look at or keep up to date? would none be better than incomprehensibly obsolete

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

echinopsis posted:

is it bad to have a linkedin you never look at or keep up to date? would none be better than incomprehensibly obsolete
You should keeping up to date but don’t look at it regularly no

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Armitag3 posted:

You should keeping up to date but don’t look at it regularly no

in my photo I am wearing one of those nerdy pharmacy dispensing coats

except the bottom button isn't done up because I am a bad rear end

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fun fact

in nz we say rear end as "ars", some people still people still say the olde english "arse" and spell it so but most of our culture has moved onto rear end

anyway, you can't say "bad rear end" in a kiwi accent. it absolutely murders the effect

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

echinopsis posted:

An image is worth a thousand buzzwords

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

echinopsis posted:

fun fact

in nz we say rear end as "ars", some people still people still say the olde english "arse" and spell it so but most of our culture has moved onto rear end

anyway, you can't say "bad rear end" in a kiwi accent. it absolutely murders the effect

Yeah, a bead arse is a different thing

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

echinopsis posted:

I had to take a new photo because some software company wanted to put me on their client event panel with a picture and my previous one was taken at a distance so looked like poo poo except that you could quite clearly see that I was holding a beer lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I check LinkedIn every now and again (and one guy I know exclusively messages through it which is kind of weird but whatever) and the poo poo people post jfc

but mega :rip: to the guy that got the "congratulate X on 28 years at company Y!" and on one of the responses was like "here's to another 28 lol!" And they made him redundant a week later, rekt

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

don't hold us in suspense, what kind of beer was it?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“appreciates a good life-work balance”

at my old pharmacy I used to have a beer between 5 and 5:30. I doubt the boss would have liked it at all, if says in my contract drugs are alcohol aren’t to be consumed on premises without his permission

but at my new pharmacy “they” follow the rules. and by them I other people. I was the manager at the old place and so I could “set my own rules” - aka break the real rules. pharmacies are boring 😩 what kind of idiot takes drugs as a late teen early 20 and the takeaway is “I wanna help old people with the most boring drugs on the planet, so I’ll become a phamacist”.

I don’t like rules, so what the hell was I thinking getting a job that is wall to wall rules

like we have SOPs (standard operating practices) which are living documents that state how everything we do in the pharmacy we should do (maybe that’s common in other fields idk). there is an SOP for going to the toilet. if i’m the only pharmacist I have to let someone know. you’re also not allowed to eat food in the toilet - sorry but WTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I check LinkedIn every now and again (and one guy I know exclusively messages through it which is kind of weird but whatever) and the poo poo people post jfc

but mega :rip: to the guy that got the "congratulate X on 28 years at company Y!" and on one of the responses was like "here's to another 28 lol!" And they made him redundant a week later, rekt

rip