Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Tips for playing with combat tricks;

1. They are most useful for pushing damage (as opposed to removing enemy creatures where they are sub-par removal spells for the most part) so that means tricks that give trample or evasion, or that are cast on creatures with trample or evasion, are ideal

2. Be very very careful about casting tricks into open mana, usually if my opponent has open mana I will cast something else and make a more subpar attack. However sometimes you will just need to make them have it if you have nothing better to do, the consequences aren't too bad or you're behind.

3. Tricks are better on offense for this reason - casting tricks while blockings can lead to 2 for 1s way too often since your opponent will have all of their mana up usually, also you aren't pushing damage (this is the reason those "ambush" tricks that untap and give reach are usually not very good)

4. Tricks are at their best when you have a wider board than your opponent, so you can attack with multiple creatures then cast the trick on either what gets through or to save one of your creatures at your opponent's expense

5. Cost matters a *lot*. 1 mana tricks are much better than 2 mana, and 2 mana is much much better than 3 mana. You basically shouldn't be playing any 3 mana trick unless it draws you a card and is on a power level equivalent to Suit Up from Neon Dynasty where it's almost always winning you a combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

this was a wild draft, specifically because poo poo like vorinclex was PASSED TO ME LIKE FOUR PICKS DEEP :psyduck:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Decided to try the Alchemy draft:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/aebc579ec5fe43af9d28cf82664a7229

This was a very clear WR equipment run starting off an ~OP alchemy rare~ into a War-Whip, the archetype turned out to be open (lucky me) and gifted me two more equipment-focused Alchemy cards as well as a bunch of vanilla great ones.

For your convenience:

https://scryfall.com/search?q=spellbook%3A%22Bladehold+Cleaver%22&unique=cards Spellbook (I hadn't actually looked at it before making this post)

Honestly not that great, there's plenty of ways to get rid of the token without killing it, it's a bit slow on the fourth turn, and I don't think this will ever do something like force a trade then give me a Glider for the next turn. In fact, I think the "equipped creature dies" will come up so rarely that I am comfortable once again ignoring the spellbook entirely, and people should always do that imo for any spellbook.

This is the actual busted Alchemy card. Perfect body for a deck like this, and making Hexgold Hoverwings equip for 1 is insane. I also love how flexible it is.

I'll never get corrupted, but honestly a blocker for x/1s that guarantees my next land drop is phenomenal in this set so I'm quite happy with it as my "17th land" especially considering how high the equipment costs are - I'm always happy for more mana.

One could argue that the double-strike 2-drop is excellent in an equipment deck but a) he wears the batterfists kind of badly, and most other equipment doesn't actually pump, b) I got plenty of 2-drops c) toxic is worthless for me. Playing this dude would make the Bardiche better but I'm quite comfortable with playing as low a curve as I can.

2-1 so far. The loss was against an honestly kinda mopey GB deck but I flooded a bit and they topdecked Sheoldred the turn before I would have overrun them, welp. Otherwise I got a good feeling about this one and am happy to have checked off the Boros equipment checkbox for my ONE draft experience!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Dragon with no rocket wings, a shameful dragon.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I’m sad you passed so many Hexgold Sledge, the most powerful card they added in Alchemy!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I’m sad you passed so many Hexgold Sledge, the most powerful card they added in Alchemy!

It's pretty cute (I played with it in the MWM precon deck) but a 3 mana 3/2 that makes a 1/1 is competing with so many other things in the 3-drop slot that are just a bit better...

The really interesting decisions were:
P1P10 Lightbringer vs Scamp - I don't think Scamp/oil is worthwhile in the equipment deck, while the Lightbringer has been surprisingly annoying to face when playing against other equipment decks
P2P1 Rabble vs Bardiche vs Scamp - see above for Scamp, and despite Bardiche being overperforming (as people tell me), Rabble is just too good always
P2P3 Cleaver vs Volt Charge - as I said above, I think the Cleaver isn't even that good but it's not like I'll get another opportunity to play with it
P2P4 Engraver vs Punisher vs Slinger - Engraver doesn't reaaaally fit the deck style but it's just too great in general to pass up imo
P2P6 Duelist vs Rabble - probably chose wrong here considering I didn't play Duelist in the end, otoh if I had taken different equipment later, maybe?
P2P8 Lightbringer vs Incisor vs Splitter - didn't end up playing both Lightbringers so probably Incisor might have been a better two-drop for synergy with the Justiciars to come and as a flier to wear equipment
P3P1 I mythic drafted :v: Otherwise yeah probably the Sledge here but Batterfist might still be better in the format?
P3P8 Sledge vs Aspirant vs Punisher - here I could have taken the Sledge for sheer power it adds to the board, but I think the Aspirant is just so loving good in this deck, keep in mind that with War-Whip it costs 2 less to move stuff onto it!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Simply Simon posted:

It's pretty cute (I played with it in the MWM precon deck) but a 3 mana 3/2 that makes a 1/1 is competing with so many other things in the 3-drop slot that are just a bit better...

3 mana 3/2 and a 1/1 that you can pay 1 mana to turn into a 4/1 trample

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It's weird that they added a bunch of Scars block cards just for spellbooks, they're not even in Pioneer

I've not played the Alchemy draft format but Hexgold Sledge seems really, really good and Aspirant is just ok

Sawblade Scamp is fine in RW in my experience; the white 1-drops don't really synergise anyway and it picks up enough incidental counters from equipment and removal to do like 3+ damage and have the opportunity to chump block, which seems pretty good for a 1-drop. Lightbringer I think is just bad filler unless you have Kemba

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

3 mana 3/2 and a 1/1 that you can pay 1 mana to turn into a 4/1 trample

Barry Shitpeas posted:

It's weird that they added a bunch of Scars block cards just for spellbooks, they're not even in Pioneer

I've not played the Alchemy draft format but Hexgold Sledge seems really, really good and Aspirant is just ok
Yeah those are fair points. I think my issue in evaluation was
a) I really like synergy so the Aspirant is, like, THE card I want to see
b) I evaluated the Sledge from having seen it in the MWM deck, where it struggled to be relevant against e.g. mono-R or in the mirror, however I'm playing Limited now where what it offers is obviously much better

quote:

Sawblade Scamp is fine in RW in my experience; the white 1-drops don't really synergise anyway and it picks up enough incidental counters from equipment and removal to do like 3+ damage and have the opportunity to chump block, which seems pretty good for a 1-drop. Lightbringer I think is just bad filler unless you have Kemba
Again, I've seen Lightbringer be fairly annoying, the Ward is quite high and thus they often have to waste an entire turn removing it, and they do WANT to remove it as long as you get a single equipment on it, which I can provide in this deck. I've won a game already just with one wearing Hoverwings. I don't think it's great in any deck, it needs a critical mass of equipments, maybe not even mine is quite there, but I think it's an okay choice to make here.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Is standard especially unbalanced between the draw or play at the moment or is it only happening to me? Every deck I have - aggro, midrange, control - has a 60% play winrate and like a 25-35% draw winrate

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
It feels that way to me and it's 90% Thalia, which is so much better on the play than the draw that it should probably eat a BO1 ban.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I play Bo1, but I see Bo1 like a bit of a nonsense format because of how much the games feel like a coin flip.

That’s why I recently asked about giving the on the draw player some kind of extra minor advantage.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Thranguy posted:

It feels that way to me and it's 90% Thalia, which is so much better on the play than the draw that it should probably eat a BO1 ban.

Between that and 2 mana conditional counterspells, yeah.

But, this really is a game where first player advantage is very, very big, because the win condition is instant and irreversible, so the first player has the first chance to hit it, not to mention all the other things where playing first helps.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Lol this deck had no business going 7-0 but i drew thrun in five of the games and my opponents let me build a boardstate where i could win after a hazardous blast in the other two.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Could someone with an Untapped sub look at the rotpriest deck win rates?

I’m curious if it even shows up in the bo3 top list. In bo1 platinum its win rate is 56%, which seems respectable (I’m guessing around the average of untapped users).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rinkles posted:

Could someone with an Untapped sub look at the rotpriest deck win rates?

I’m curious if it even shows up in the bo3 top list. In bo1 platinum its win rate is 56%, which seems respectable (I’m guessing around the average of untapped users).

standard bo3 from feb 7 to now, plat to mythic:

quote:

tier 1:
- esper legends, 63.3%
- azorius soldiers, 62.4%
- RDW, 60.8%
- rakdos midrange, 60.5%

tier 2:
- mono-black aggro, 58.7%
- grixis midrange, 58.6%
- mono-white midrange, 58.2%
- selesnya toxic, 58.1%
- mardu tokens, 55.5%
- mono-blue tempo, 54.9%
- gruul aggro, 54.0%
- jund midrange, 53.8%
- esper control, 53.3%

tier 3:
- azorius control, 48.5%

tier 4:
- dimir proliferate, 41.3%

same settings, over the last week:

quote:

tier 1:
- rakdos midrange, 61.2%
- azorius soldiers, 59.9%
- RDW, 59.8%

tier 2:
- mono-black aggro, 57.3%
- grixis midrange, 56.3%
- mono-white midrange, 55.4%
- mardu tokens, 55.4%
- gruul aggro, 54.4%
- jund midrange, 52.8%

tier 3 and 4 empty

looks like rotpriest toxic got abandoned in bo3 after its showing at the beginning of the meta.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.17lands.com/draft/2b8ba28920734a399da5956f7252be45

RG again. I am just going to accept that I should absolutely never pick U cards in this format and I do not have the capability to build or play that color properly, and that it would be better to cobble a mediocre pile of any other color, making it a hard rule should free up some of my limited cognitive ability.

This seemed pretty straightforward. I guess the things I thought about were, what does having a back half of a pack like pack 1, where there was literally absolutely nothing worthwhile for 6 picks, affect my outlook? Also I guess P2P5 asked me to choose between Incubation Sac and Axiom Engraver. I went with Sac

Edit: should probably play the splitter over a skullbomb i think? maybe the aspirant over a trick, i guess crescendo isn't very good if you don't have any first strikers?

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 4, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

flatluigi posted:

standard bo3 from feb 7 to now, plat to mythic:

same settings, over the last week:

looks like rotpriest toxic got abandoned in bo3 after its showing at the beginning of the meta.

Thanks

I didn’t think RDW would be that high up in bo3

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rinkles posted:

Thanks

I didn’t think RDW would be that high up in bo3

you'd probably be even more surprised to know that it doesn't run fable of the mirrorbreaker in any of the decks i could see

here's a representative version, with some spicy sideboard inclusions in other decks being koth, elder dragon war, and furnace punisher -- and domU jaya, who i entirely forgot existed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I built a monored burn to mix things up instead of something like the one you just posted and I think I hate it, also seems immediately much worse than the janky mono-red aggro I usually use.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's all about mono-red Atraxa imo

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Just played against a very strange Uro deck in HB. The green was mostly for ramp, and the blue was mostly for counterspells - I assume there was more big blue in there that I didn't see (River's Rebuke, Time Warp, Alrund's Epiphany, etc.) but it really caught me off guard.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

flatluigi posted:

you'd probably be even more surprised to know that it doesn't run fable of the mirrorbreaker in any of the decks i could see

here's a representative version, with some spicy sideboard inclusions in other decks being koth, elder dragon war, and furnace punisher -- and domU jaya, who i entirely forgot existed

It wouldn't; as I was saying a few days ago, Fable is an excellent mid to long game card but absolute garbage from a monored perspective, it's a 2/2 for 3 without haste then a bit of card selection (but on the turn where you really should be winning, and you might not even have 2 cards in hand to drop off) then a 2/2 for 3 without haste, which is like... why would you even?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’ve been thinking of putting together a budget mono red deck, because mono blue isn’t cutting it quest wise

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I recommend it. I've been up and down a roller coaster with loving and hating this deck but if nothing else it will never let you down on fast games win or lose. Some of the budget versions are actually pretty fun even if worse than meta lists. It's like playing as a grease fire, if they've got the tools and calm to smother it appropriately you will lose, but if they take a few turns getting their poo poo together or start trying to pour water on it you burn the kitchen down in a flash.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Khanstant posted:

I built a monored burn to mix things up instead of something like the one you just posted and I think I hate it, also seems immediately much worse than the janky mono-red aggro I usually use.

if you wanna play burn, maybe hop over to historic

i get my aggro kicks with boros heroic in explorer though

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I am running ice cold in the arena open lol. Thought I would give it a few shots since I'm doing really well in limited ONE so far at around 63%, but I'm 1-3, 2-3, 0-2 so far. Not all that salty since I have a ton of gold to use across multiple accounts like the draft grinder I am, but these games have been silly. First sealed was simply poo poo, my one advantage was good removal and I ran into Thrun two games in a row to make that useless. Second sealed I had few good rares again, couldn't play the ones I had since they were super shallow and not great splashes. That deck simply ran into the most aggressive poo poo I've seen in sealed in ages over and over, faster than almost any draft deck I've played in a week+. Plus I made some bad misplays. C'est la vie, try again.

Third pool finally get an actual good pool with solid 2-colors and multiple good rares! Surely nothing bad could happen this time around.

Oh. A land would have been nice. Or any of my remaining <5-mana cards, since I could cast all of those...

E: Ended up recovering to a more respectable 6-3, obviously sucks not to get the full 7 but I'm happy with making up for the shameful display. Actually had a great curve-out in the final game too, but going second against an opponent with a perfect 1-2-3-4-5 curve including double-spell with removal on both T4 and T5 was too much and I didn't end up stabilizing. I think I would have been in a great spot that game if I was on the play, but alas!

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 5, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i wish there were a mode you could play with all cards to test drive any deck against even just sparky or something to see if it's something you wanna craft. The boros list looks interesting but I only have 4x swiftspears and a couple of the lands.

Den of the Bugbear seems fun, way cooler than Mishra and I love goblins

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

mono-red Atraxa!!!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What have you done?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Come back opponent, I didn’t actually have lethal!

Been kinda lucky today, beat mono red three times in a row.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Khanstant posted:

What have you done?

looks like red powerstone ramp into portal of phyrexia, using it to bring back an atraxa that was discarded earlier using fable of the mirror breaker, or maybe big score

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh cool, I kind forget normal decks don't have color identity and you can just put whatever you want in there.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i see that deck run red/white instead of mono-red much more often, since white lets you play depopulates to slow down the other player and use repair and recharge/invoke justice to cheat atraxa and portal to phyrexia into play more quickly

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

i see that deck run red/white instead of mono-red much more often, since white lets you play depopulates to slow down the other player and use repair and recharge/invoke justice to cheat atraxa and portal to phyrexia into play more quickly

This is true but doing it in monored is funnier

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah this is the list I have been playing

Deck
3 Atraxa, Grand Unifier (ONE) 196
4 Big Score (SNC) 102
3 Burn Down the House (MID) 131
3 Portal to Phyrexia (BRO) 240
4 The Mightstone and Weakstone (BRO) 238
2 Thran Spider (BRO) 254
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
4 Bitter Reunion (BRO) 127
4 Abrade (VOW) 139
4 Flame-Blessed Bolt (VOW) 158
24 Mountain (ANA) 8
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276

This version seems cracked tho lol, it has more of the aggro beatdown spirit and maybe you hardcast atraxa from your hand, I might try this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y7tdLbqW_4

Deck
2 Sulfurous Springs (DMU) 256
2 Battlefield Forge (BRO) 257
4 Shivan Reef (DMU) 255
2 Karplusan Forest (DMU) 250
4 Lightning Strike (DMU) 137
2 Atsushi, the Blazing Sky (NEO) 134
4 Kumano Faces Kakkazan (NEO) 152
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
4 Goldhound (SNC) 108
4 Professional Face-Breaker (SNC) 116
4 Riveteers Requisitioner (SNC) 121
4 Sticky Fingers (SNC) 124
3 Phoenix Chick (DMU) 140
2 Shivan Devastator (DMU) 143
3 Bitter Reunion (BRO) 127
4 Atraxa, Grand Unifier (ONE) 196
11 Mountain (ANA) 8

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Rinkles posted:

I’ve been thinking of putting together a budget mono red deck, because mono blue isn’t cutting it quest wise

If you're talking about daily quests, unless you're trying to stick to Constructed Ranked - HB is great for that. It requires a decent number of WCs up front, but relatively few ongoing. A handful of decks will cover multiple colors pretty easily, especially if you go with the 5 color commanders (Niv Mizzet, Esika). It's also a great format for it because in my experience, most people just treat it more casually - they're more likely to stick around for awhile, which helps to close out those dailies faster.

I also just find it more fun so I have to support it :shobon:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Maybe it's just a problem with me but I feel cheated whenever someone Lay Down Arms a 5+ mana cost creature of mine.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ok first one back, another 1-3

i had 17lands open for this point, and went with a stricter criteria:
- dont deviate from themes you know work if you get cards for them (g/x toxic)
- stay away from u or b if i can

ending up in green white toxic. draft felt good, but i lost out and am not sure what i hosed up besides specific misplays in game 3. if there was a sufficient signal to switch away from g/w (to maybe g/r?) i missed it.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/2ea50a01acfe49fab736513529e10076

game 1: got run over
game 2 (typically where i get a win prob due to mmr): won with basic creature combat and curving out effectively on the play
game 3: tyvar messed up my gameplan, as i felt it was better to get him off the board while i could versus dealing more poison. this cost me the game, as i had an all in attack on my final turn that would've won me the game had i better ignored him. regrets, on me.
game 4: this one was a bit confusing but basically lost to not having effective removal for my oppos threats while they answered my 2ish threats well. probably a mulligan in retrospect, but i had turn 1/2/3 plays that all seemed sane so i kept my 7, i don't feel i could've mulled to a better 6.

currently 6-18 on the current bo1, which is again all on me, but demotivating

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

just redeemed season mastery for the draft token so lets see where that goes