Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

jeeves posted:

The grim dystopia of Trek’s 2024 at least gave un-housed people buildings to live in even if they are in walled in-ghettos…

And they have universal health care!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And WOOSH!! I'm invisible!!!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The most unbelievable aspect of that episode was the thought of Americans adopting Celsius.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Eighties ZomCom posted:

The most unbelievable aspect of that episode was the thought of Americans adopting Celsius.

there's still time!!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Watched "Crossover" from DS9. It's interesting to return to this mirror world where things are generally worse for people. Is it an alternate universe– a split in the timeline? I think it's something stranger and more based in symbols than physics. It's always unpleasant to see our characters behave so nastily but it was refreshing to see Quark do good things. We also get Bashir blowing away Mirror!Odo in spectacular fashion.

Then it was "Preemptive Strike" from TNG, the penultimate episode. Not the most terribly interesting or unique story but as someone who was wondering where Ro had gone, this was a decent sendoff. That Bajoran pita they were eating, I want to try that.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DoubleCakes posted:

Watched "Crossover" from DS9. It's interesting to return to this mirror world where things are generally worse for people. Is it an alternate universe– a split in the timeline? I think it's something stranger and more based in symbols than physics. It's always unpleasant to see our characters behave so nastily but it was refreshing to see Quark do good things. We also get Bashir blowing away Mirror!Odo in spectacular fashion.

Then it was "Preemptive Strike" from TNG, the penultimate episode. Not the most terribly interesting or unique story but as someone who was wondering where Ro had gone, this was a decent sendoff. That Bajoran pita they were eating, I want to try that.

it's the same universe as "mirror, mirror" in TOS. DS9 further explores it but it also shows up in enterprise ("in a mirror, darkly") and discovery (multiple episodes and characters, all pretty bad)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Somebody post the hasperat recipe I know it's out there

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DoubleCakes posted:

Then it was "Preemptive Strike" from TNG, the penultimate episode. Not the most terribly interesting or unique story but as someone who was wondering where Ro had gone

It was supposed to be DS9, Forbes turned down the role as first officer and they made Kira instead

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Weird I always pictured hasperat as a type of spicey stew but apparently its some sort of rolled sandwich.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's a combination of "hasper" which is a delicately-spiced flatbread traditional on Bajor, and "rat" which is a sewer rodent that's a delicacy on Bajor.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Discovery was trash because they tried the season long arc prestige show and honestly it just doesn't work for Star Trek
Not prestige, but it *did* work for Star Trek. Over twenty-three years ago.

I'm still not convinced it couldn't, but after Disco, they should stop for at least a decade and only resume once the table's been set by more episodic shows.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DS9 had a lot of stand-alone episodes in between those arc episodes, which Disco rarely had

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

DS9 had a lot of stand-alone episodes in between those arc episodes, which Disco rarely had

Yeah, Ira Behr likes to huff his own farts and boast that he brought serialized storytelling to television, but the only time DS9 went full-serial was the final nine episodes. Otherwise things were always happening in the background and occasionally an episode would focus on them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Yeah, Ira Behr likes to huff his own farts and boast that he brought serialized storytelling to television, but the only time DS9 went full-serial was the final nine episodes. Otherwise things were always happening in the background and occasionally an episode would focus on them.
Yes when I rewatched the whole series I was surprised that there weren’t as many arc episodes together as I had remembered

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Timby posted:

Does he really claim that? That's hilarious even if you discount Babylon 5.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh, I'm aware. And that's how I'd prefer things were done too.

Joss Whedon is a monster, but the Buffy model is a winner. Monster-of-the-week standalones that built to a big payoff.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Beeftweeter posted:

it's the same universe as "mirror, mirror" in TOS. DS9 further explores it but it also shows up in enterprise ("in a mirror, darkly") and discovery (multiple episodes and characters, all pretty bad)

tbh the ds9 ones aren't all that hot either, although the cast seemed to be having a ball doing them

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Feldegast42 posted:

tbh the ds9 ones aren't all that hot either, although the cast seemed to be having a ball doing them

i completely agree, they're not excellent episodes by any means. the ds9 ones are kind of like the two-parter on enterprise: they're just sort of hammy vehicles for the cast to goof around in and for weird poo poo to happen to the characters that would otherwise be completely out of bounds. this is the way

discovery totally lost sight of this though, which really makes the whole thing suffer because they decided to make it part of the larger whole. terrible choice imo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

i completely agree, they're not excellent episodes by any means. the ds9 ones are kind of like the two-parter on enterprise: they're just sort of hammy vehicles for the cast to goof around in and for weird poo poo to happen to the characters that would otherwise be completely out of bounds. this is the way

discovery totally lost sight of this though, which really makes the whole thing suffer because they decided to make it part of the larger whole. terrible choice imo
The most disappointing thing to me is that when they wanted to make a good stand-alone episode they could. In Season 1 the episode that similar to 'Cause and Effect' from TNG has the crew getting killed by Harry Mudd in a timeloop. Then in Season 2 the episode where they go back to Talus IV from 'The Cage' is also pretty good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
DS9 also built on a huge amount of back story before committing to its serialization. There's tons of episodes that are one offs that deal with the Dominion and Changelings. Then finally everything comes to ahead.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FlamingLiberal posted:

The most disappointing thing to me is that when they wanted to make a good stand-alone episode they could. In Season 1 the episode that similar to 'Cause and Effect' from TNG has the crew getting killed by Harry Mudd in a timeloop. Then in Season 2 the episode where they go back to Talus IV from 'The Cage' is also pretty good.

yeah, imo you're not wrong. most of the disco episodes i'd say were actually good are the ones that are one-offs

similarly some of the "short treks" are pretty good, and some of them are literally set on discovery — "calypso" is the example that comes to mind, and it doesn't even feature any of the actual cast. it's one guy we never see again and the ship's computer

e: if you have paramount+ https://www.paramountplus.com/shows/video/jtw1dLB8cbhey8G_CO1Sy71rplDuvH_q/

(and if you don't, it's, uh, around)

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 5, 2023

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Beeftweeter posted:

I really disagree. Mirror, Mirror was a serious episode that had something to say about imperialism and about the characters, it wasn't just a comedy romp. I much prefer Discovery trying to take that approach than Ds9's approach of wasting everyone's time with some wacky bullshit that has nothing to do with the rest of the series.

(And, of course, there's the nasty subtext in DS9's Mirror Universe that a, the Empire was right to believe that cruelty was strength, and b, mirror-Kira becoming more and more of a depraved bisexual cartoon villain in every appearance. I honestly consider them the most reactionary episodes Star Trek has ever done.)

Angry Salami fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 5, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Angry Salami posted:

I really disagree. Mirror, Mirror was a serious episode that had something to say about imperialism and about the characters, it wasn't just a comedy romp. I much prefer Discovery trying to take that approach than Ds9's approach of wasting everyone's time with some wacky bullshit that has nothing to do with the rest of the series.

(And, of course, there's the nasty subtext in DS9's Mirror Universe that a, the Empire was right to believe that cruelty was strength, and b, mirror-Kira becoming more and more of a depraved bisexual cartoon villain in every appearance. I honestly consider them the most reactionary episodes Star Trek has ever done.)

mirror, mirror is a good, serious episode, you're right; it does have something to say, and it says it well. that was more in reference to the DS9 set, which is a bit more of a complex subject

the mirror episodes of DS9 do not start out as being ridiculous. "crossover" is mostly serious: it tells us what happened to the terran empire, how humans are now subjugated under the cardassians, klingons and bajorans ("the alliance"), and also has a lot to say about what that means for them

similarly "through the looking glass" is not on its face a silly episode either, but it is less grandiose about its aims, and that's fine. the rest of them though? i agree, if the goofiness is off-putting to you, don't watch them; you won't like them. ultimately though the entire premise of having a "mirror universe" itself is examined, and (imo of course) they rightfully conclude that it's pretty silly. "evil" characters become caricatures, but that line is blurred because, well, it's the mirror universe — there are no "good" characters from our point of view

i'm not going to defend what they did with the intendant at all because i also disagree with it, but i think characterizing what the theme is as, in essence, "might makes right" is missing the point. ultimately we're talking about space imperialism no matter which way you cut it, and, well: it is the mirror universe, after all, and our heroes stem from the terran empire. they're not trying to make that point, i think. it's more that a human is a human, no matter if they're from the terran empire, or the federation

this is basically the same point "mirror, mirror" makes; spock is spock, and kirk recognizes this. it leads to lasting change, which doesn't turn out to be a good thing in that setting. later in DS9 the alliance is overthrown because they eventually get sloppy and sadistic, while being comfortable in doing so. these are the same things that leads to the terran empire's downfall in the first place

it's appropriate, i think

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh lol i completely forgot to mention discovery, probably because i've only seen them once or at most twice

anyway, i don't believe there are entire episodes set within the mirror universe, except perhaps the final episodes of the first season?

my issue with them is not really about the setting, it's that they had a pretty decent character in lorca and then kneecapped this by making him from there (same with georgiou). it's just a lazy way to explain why a starfleet captain might be a bad person, i think. it would have been much more interesting and less of a cop-out to make lorca just a hosed up guy from "our" universe

we don't need bad characters to come from somewhere else. there are bad people everywhere, why do this

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Remember how Lorca was sensitive to bright light and then they went "actually, humans from the mirror universe are slightly more sensitive to bright light!"

So we could've suspected he was from the mirror universe, if, you know,

if we'd known that

I guess

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
In the not mirror universe there's probably a two second medical tricorder procedure to fix the light sensitivity too, any medical intern could do it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Remember how Lorca was sensitive to bright light and then they went "actually, humans from the mirror universe are slightly more sensitive to bright light!"

So we could've suspected he was from the mirror universe, if, you know,

if we'd known that

I guess

Lorca actually dug up a doctor, and paid him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on his eyeballs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Joss Whedon is a monster, but the Buffy model is a winner. Monster-of-the-week standalones that built to a big payoff.

Yeah I've always though the buffy model would work for Trek. It would've worked particularly well for Voyager.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Beeftweeter posted:

this is basically the same point "mirror, mirror" makes; spock is spock, and kirk recognizes this. it leads to lasting change, which doesn't turn out to be a good thing in that setting.

Come to think of it, I'm a little surprised no one has used this incident as support for a Dimensional Prime Directive: interference with a less-ethically-advanced civilization, even if well-intentioned, can lead straight to disaster.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Powered Descent posted:

Come to think of it, I'm a little surprised no one has used this incident as support for a Dimensional Prime Directive: interference with a less-ethically-advanced civilization, even if well-intentioned, can lead straight to disaster.

there kind of is. we're told that "normal" transporters don't exist in the mirror universe to prevent the exact kind of thing that happened in "mirror, mirror". obviously that means it was unilaterally imposed by one side, but it makes sense, i think: the event is not very well known here — it seems to be handwaved away as Normal Space Stuff — but it's infamous there, because it led to the fall of an empire

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

interference with a less-ethically-advanced civilization, even if well-intentioned, can lead straight to disaster.

But that's all star trek is!

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

It's a combination of "hasper" which is a delicately-spiced flatbread traditional on Bajor, and "rat" which is a sewer rodent that's a delicacy on Bajor.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Discovery, a Star Trek show that surely didn't seem to like being one, gets their monkey pawn wish and is released from all the burden of trying to cursorily follow the existing canon.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Beeftweeter posted:

there kind of is. we're told that "normal" transporters don't exist in the mirror universe to prevent the exact kind of thing that happened in "mirror, mirror". obviously that means it was unilaterally imposed by one side, but it makes sense, i think: the event is not very well known here — it seems to be handwaved away as Normal Space Stuff — but it's infamous there, because it led to the fall of an empire
Ah, but think of the uncounted myriads not being constantly killed by routine transport! Perhaps they're ethically equivalent after all??

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Der Kyhe posted:

Discovery, a Star Trek show that surely didn't seem to like being one

X, a Y show that surely didn't seem to like being one fits into a whole lot of streaming content right now

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hollismason posted:

DS9 also built on a huge amount of back story before committing to its serialization. There's tons of episodes that are one offs that deal with the Dominion and Changelings. Then finally everything comes to ahead.

Yeah it wasn't so much serialization as just allowing circumstances to change over time in a way that had been considered syndication poison.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

X, a Y show that surely didn't seem to like being one fits into a whole lot of streaming content right now

I completely agree.

Discovery was an appaling one; the S1 and S2 arcs were relatively interesting stories that would have been at home in the preceding 50-year canon, but they just couldn't help themselves from redesigning everything for just the sake or re-design.

And then they decided to timejump into the 32nd century, and not only a possible 32nd century, the only 32nd century that can never ever ever happen.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Der Kyhe posted:

the only 32nd century that can never ever ever happen.

i gave up on watching discovery, so i'm not sure what this means and i'm genuinely curious. could you elaborate?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

i gave up on watching discovery, so i'm not sure what this means and i'm genuinely curious. could you elaborate?

They made it clear that via time traveling, there was a person stuck in the future where all intelligent life in the galaxy was wiped by the AI enemy they were working against. That person had a time-traveling gizmo that enabled that person to jump back in time to try to fix the timeline, but had been unsuccessful so far.

So the DISCO crew cooks up a plan, and it, and only it works, involving taking the USS Discovery to 32nd century because it was the key for the AI enemy to not erase every biological lifeform in the galaxy. Basically they are forcing the hand for canon and future shows to say that DISCO needs to happen as is, or everyone dies. So unless USS Discovery jumps to the future, Kirk, Picard or Sisko does not happen.

And the future they jumped into was a generic "Starfleet and Federation has fallen"-future the writers have been wanking over for a decade as a reboot series.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Der Kyhe posted:

They made it clear that via time traveling, there was a person stuck in the future where all intelligent life in the galaxy was wiped by the AI enemy they were working against. That person had a time-traveling gizmo that enabled that person to jump back in time to try to fix the timeline, but had been unsuccessful so far.

So the DISCO crew cooks up a plan, and it, and only it works, involving taking the USS Discovery to 32nd century because it was the key for the AI enemy to not erase every biological lifeform in the galaxy. Basically they are forcing the hand for canon and future shows to say that DISCO needs to happen as is, or everyone dies. So unless USS Discovery jumps to the future, Kirk, Picard or Sisko does not happen.

And the future they jumped into was a generic "Starfleet and Federation has fallen"-future the writers have been wanking over for a decade as a reboot series.

oh i did see up to there (and a little bit further but not much i guess), i guess i just didn't really think it through. i see your point, and yeah, that future setting was why i basically dismissed the series after that lol

i guess there's something of an argument to be made about there being multiple possible timelines as the outcome of every decision a la "parallels", but i never got the sense that disco was trying to accomplish anything like that. to me it just seemed like they realized they painted themselves into a corner with the prequel setting, decided that wasn't the show they wanted to make, and then used a hamfisted plot device to try and course-correct

i mean, i also get why spock, pike and the enterprise show up in that season; they were setting up a spinoff. but i thought it was really bizarre that they were just like "ah yeah, discovery? that never happened and nobody will ever mention it again". that is one hell of a way to make the audience not care at all about it