Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
All he had to do was say that it was a different time and it is not particularly funny now! And it wasn't even a specific callout! Just a general example of Those Japanese Games were viewed at the time. And he threw himself into that bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

What a tease, dialogue aside Ive longed for a version of chess that combines with an SRPG, where you can pick different loadouts for your units and there's terrain and captured territory advantages and such in play, not just take a piece without resistance by moving to its space

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

What a tease, dialogue aside Ive longed for a version of chess that combines with an SRPG, where you can pick different loadouts for your units and there's terrain and captured territory advantages and such in play, not just take a piece without resistance by moving to its space

Isn't that just an srpg full stop

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Twitter won't be twitter if people did the rational thing and acknowledge a bad thing. Nah YOU gotta double down, triple and quadruple down!

Also hello chat, trying my best to S rank Pizza Tower and some of these levels i spend like hours trying to get it right, I tend to choke on the 2nd lap.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Isn't that just an srpg full stop

It's basically a new map and changing some movement ranges away from being a reality using most existing SRPGs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Back when FE was good

Back to that long ago era of “like a month and a half ago”…

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there a fire emblem in-universe, like how there are elder scrolls in elder scrolls? Is it the best emblem to equip?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Khanstant posted:

Is there a fire emblem in-universe, like how there are elder scrolls in elder scrolls? Is it the best emblem to equip?

Yes but what it is changes from setting to setting

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The OG Fire Emblem is Marth's shield

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Used to think The Sess was cool when he gave MGS4 a 5/5 when every other gaming personality was giving it a 1.....How times have changed...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yikes he’s worse than I thought

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I didn't know he was still reviewing things that recently.

Or MGS4 is older than I think. I never played it so it's still a potentially new game to me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

he was on from like 1998-2012, he conceivably talked about the ps4 on that show. and then he came back, for the new g4 that only lasted a year or whatever, last year or the year before

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Ohio is Caelid

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hwurmp posted:

what's the best boner simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YbRclMWFcE&t=93s

loving loved this weird-rear end game.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

welp almost 12 hours in to wo long and the frustration with not being able to parry loving anything has built up enough to where i just don't want to even finish this stupid mission. i know lu bu is at the end. i don't care. i don't want to wade through his whole loving army of zombies and ballistas and tiger demons. i just don't want to do it

i don't know what i'm doing wrong with the parry. i could parry just fine in sekiro. gently caress i spent the whole last couple weeks playing the parry weapon in wild hearts. but i can't do it in wo long. and there's not enough supplemental systems to get me through it. i feel like a worthless piece of poo poo. i deliberately spent time trying to practice parrying these fuckers and i still can't get it.

feels real fuckin bad, man

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You could not pursue Lu Bu

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

welp almost 12 hours in to wo long and the frustration with not being able to parry loving anything has built up enough to where i just don't want to even finish this stupid mission. i know lu bu is at the end. i don't care. i don't want to wade through his whole loving army of zombies and ballistas and tiger demons. i just don't want to do it

i don't know what i'm doing wrong with the parry. i could parry just fine in sekiro. gently caress i spent the whole last couple weeks playing the parry weapon in wild hearts. but i can't do it in wo long. and there's not enough supplemental systems to get me through it. i feel like a worthless piece of poo poo. i deliberately spent time trying to practice parrying these fuckers and i still can't get it.

feels real fuckin bad, man

I've only played a tiny bit of it but my first impression was that the parry did seem to be way too unforgiving for how essential it is, so you're not alone here.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I had an okay time parrying in the demo but I think if you're going to make parrying the core mechanic the sekiro method of a party turning into a block is much better than having it share a button with dodge

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the inability to feather the parry key is probably the key difference for wo long vs. sekiro: you can hold guard and then deflect and you'll be able to avoid getting clobbered in wo long, but it's not quite the same thing. the direction of your deflect also matters more, since it has a short hop that can push you out of range of something's hitbox and not have the deflect take if you deflect away from the attack

wood/earth with heavy armor is my personal recommendation for any parry light playstyles, since absorb vitality + enhanced defense gives you sustainability and trading power beyond what the game normally expects. you can also splash wood/earth for those two spells alone and then max water for invis + superspeed to breeze through levels, as the only thing that's really "necessary" is planting flags, and you can get the lion's share without having to actively fight anything to claim them if you're quick about it

Relax Or DIE posted:

I had an okay time parrying in the demo but I think if you're going to make parrying the core mechanic the sekiro method of a party turning into a block is much better than having it share a button with dodge

it's meant to make deflecting require more deliberate input sequences instead of feathering, and it succeeds in that. i like that implementation because of how it forces me to not spam the button and pay attention to incoming animations, but i understand that's not everyone's cup of tea

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I think the biggest thing in Wo Long is that you have zero ability to cancel out of attack animations so you can get locked into bad situations pretty easily

Also basically every enemy in the game has the Morgott thing of "this animation is deliberately designed to fool you into flinching lol"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
OK I finished signalis it's time to actually play Asuras Wrath

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Feels Villeneuve posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ-BbusMdkU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the only bad RPGs are infinity engine games. awful. why couldn't goldbox-style combat have won out....

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
infinity engine owns fool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
thac0? how about you suc0 my god drat dick

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Planescape is a GoAT

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah and everyone agrees everything to do with the gameplay sucks rear end!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dialogue trees are gameplay and rule

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
dialogue trees are really just turn based combat if you think about it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I thought about it and I disagree

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Disco Elysium

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

asuras wrath 2 :pray:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

charlatan behavior. when games got people mocked he was there doing the mocking. when games were grasping at straws for any kind of adult discourse breakthrough no matter how tenuous he was there with bioshock infinite calling it one of the most remarkable creative feats he'd experienced. when games finally became a dominant force in contemporary culture forcing people to actually reckon with outward perception along with all the potential good and bad of the medium's ability to broadly communicate feeling, well, he's loving outta here man. don't you know that poo poo's all just toys for kids?

He was right every step of the way.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol at his claim that the people "After him" are maga alt-right when the thing he's defending starts with a replacement theory "joke"

???? He says both sides are pissed at him and the replacement joke is about being the dominate nation in the world. poo poo if anything it is an extremely dated joke by the time this clip aired. Japan was once considered a rival economy to the usa and it was feared the japanese would be become number 1 until the 1991 asset bubble pop.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Get out of here sessler

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

after being depressed about wo long i booted up nioh 2 again, what a great game, it runs well AND it's fun to play

i had to readjust having a functioning camera, and had to look up what my yokai ability buttons were again, but i did a few missions on the final difficulty level and had a nice relaxing time (except the part where the nure-onna are now all replaced by Suiki! a dlc miniboss! that is terrifying!!!)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what'd you think of signalis

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Looper posted:

what'd you think of signalis

It was epic though i assume the appeal of the secret ending was more the ARG stuff involved with decoding it than the ending itself

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I've found the parry timings in Wo Long to be fairly lenient

I'm having a way easier time with this than Sekiro or either Nioh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Came across this randomly.

The Dr Mario remix at the end is fresh af
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBYvH3myqyg&t=1003s