Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
as someone who likes buying overpriced Vita special editions there's a giant box of Fate Extella at the local shop and is that fine to get with zero experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jazerus posted:

i think glide is supposed to be just, really bad at fighting? he's yai's butler and not much else

he's explicitly not though. they made it to the end of the big tournament in bn3. the opponent they lost against was one who also kicked protoman's rear end. it's hard to read them being bad in any way out of that entire arc, it pretty explicitly frames them as talented fighters

Feels Villeneuve posted:

as someone who likes buying overpriced Vita special editions there's a giant box of Fate Extella at the local shop and is that fine to get with zero experience

it's okay but it's one of the weaker stories and isn't really worth playing without the context of extra which is just, a lot better. as a warriors clone it's pretty crummy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
90% of what you'd get out of fate/extella is picking the female protag so that the entire plot is about hakuno's lesbian harem but even that's a little more hollow without extra cause extra's what contextualizes her relationships with all those characters

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Glide is bad at fighting but Yai pays for expensive battlechips because her family is loaded.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway whenever it comes up i need to mention the most insane dropped part of battle network video game lore, that canonically there was an ancient race of people in an advanced computer society, but their society got destroyed by a trojan and then two people from that society and the trojan went into cryosleep and woke up centuries later and started committing terrorist acts, and then lan destroyed the trojan and sent one of them back in time to his society where now that the trojan is dead the society has survived, while the other is a lady working an office job in city hall who never appears again

all of this exists in, the now unplayable battle network java phone game duology

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Phantasium posted:

lmao he actually gave a poo poo to comment on it and also defended it, imagine that garbage being the highlight of your life.

https://twitter.com/AdamSessler/status/1632121484167757829

:confused:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I never saw much of the battle network anime, but I did read a good amount of the manga and there were some amazing beats like:

-megaman gets kidnapped by skullman and his operator. lan senses this while riding a bus and immediately jumps out of a moving vehicle and drags himself to her store
-hub style is a berserk super mode that megaman spends a few volumes struggling and blowing things up with until he fights bass, who is the big overarching rival for a while
-after this arc Darkchip stuff starts happening and they shuffle away hub style because "dark energy negates hub energy". this is never elaborated on
-eventually he beats bass again using soul unison and the immediate arc afterwards is the authorities trying to put megaman in internet jail because they just know he's eventually gonna use that to fuse with bass

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Is there any reason to not play Trials Of Mana instead of the original release?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The anime ended with everyone getting teleported to a parallel but also future timeline where the internet had reduced society to a few crumbling arcologies because of Zero, as in, the guy from MMX but a virus now.

And then it turned out that Wily had saved himself in that universe in a capsule like Light did in the X games, but he used it to break into OUR world piggybacking on Gospel, who took the hologram tech that let navis walk around IRL and gave it a giant chimeric nightmare final form everyone had to kill back in regular Lansville (I have forgotten the name of the city). It was weird.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

https://twitter.com/AdamSessler/status/1632135546830221312

typing "i'm willing to be your racist today" and deciding that's something to post

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

They feel pretty different.

That said I like the remake more

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Colonel posted:

typing "i'm willing to be your racist today" and deciding that's something to post

Lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im not a homophobe. im your homophobe

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

secretly best girl posted:

The anime ended with everyone getting teleported to a parallel but also future timeline where the internet had reduced society to a few crumbling arcologies because of Zero, as in, the guy from MMX but a virus now.

And then it turned out that Wily had saved himself in that universe in a capsule like Light did in the X games, but he used it to break into OUR world piggybacking on Gospel, who took the hologram tech that let navis walk around IRL and gave it a giant chimeric nightmare final form everyone had to kill back in regular Lansville (I have forgotten the name of the city). It was weird.

i remember the movie where dr. regal was an internet ghost who kidnapped lan's dad and trapped him inside an eye torture orb machine

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like that the dub for the battle network anime also just cut out like, lots of random visual gags for no reason. like they cut out a bit where ms. mari makes two baked fish snacks kiss. and a bit where they pan over to yai sitting at a bar with a huge pile of empty wine glasses next to her and the bartender goes "you know, drinking this much is gonna be bad for your stomach." and then fills her glass with pink lemonade

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Battle Network Zero does show up in a game proper, it's just the one Gamecube spinoff that plays something more like a mainline jump-n-shoot Megaman game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this is what sessler will never understand about the lgbt community: we are our own homophobes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the important thing to note here is that the guy who posted the clip didn't even @ him. he didn't really call him out specifically at all. the opening joke was the worst part and he wasn't the one delivering it. he just assumed he's the one part of the video everyone's angry at. if he just agreed that xplay had some bits that aged badly nobody would have a reason to be mad at him

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

:thunk:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
welcome to xplay. it's your host, the woke racist homophobe

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

The Colonel posted:

i remember the movie where dr. regal was an internet ghost who kidnapped lan's dad and trapped him inside an eye torture orb machine

I think the thing we can all agree on about Battle Network: it never didn't go for it, in any form of media

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i like that the dub for the battle network anime also just cut out like, lots of random visual gags for no reason. like they cut out a bit where ms. mari makes two baked fish snacks kiss. and a bit where they pan over to yai sitting at a bar with a huge pile of empty wine glasses next to her and the bartender goes "you know, drinking this much is gonna be bad for your stomach." and then fills her glass with pink lemonade

I remember they gave Mr Match a Scottish accent out of nowhere, which was cool, but also that they renamed Fireman to Torchman because they thought kids would think firefighters were arsonists?

And thinking about Match is reminding me of Heatman.EXE which must be one of the biggest redesign glowup of all time imho.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why he so weird
all he has to say is that "yeah those were some pretty bad jokes!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

why he so weird

Twitter has the magical power to make people not do that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

why he so weird

I'd even accept a "woops"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Tired Moritz posted:

why he so weird

This is the same guy who melted down that he didn't get a free console when he was technically out of the games press, right

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest part of all this is that after all that racism he still gave the game a 3/5

i give the godless japanese trying to replace white industry a 3... out of 5

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imagining a review of a rap album thats just an unhinged racist rant and then ends with 'there's some decent cuts on here though, 7/10'

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

the funniest part of all this is that after all that racism he still gave the game a 3/5

i give the godless japanese trying to replace white industry a 3... out of 5

the objectivity of a true professional

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Speaking of xplay making unhinged racist rants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj4KnAj8edc&t=6610s

Actual warning on this one

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
morgan webb is canceled

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

holy loving poo poo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Disposable Scud posted:

ImpAtom posted:

They feel pretty different.

That said I like the remake more

Yeah, they're basically two entirely different games except they have the same plot. I also agree that I think I like the new game more, even if I don't dislike the original or anything. Worth going through the original for the art and pixel design at the very least.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Terper posted:

just made a face like i full force bit into a lemon, good god

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

Hoooooooly poo poo. I went in expecting racism and I was still shocked

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats 'how did that get on TV even at the time' levels, im pretty sure mid-2000s south park wouldnt have gone that hard

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the "wokest guy you ever met vs twisted racist homophobe" gimmick for sessler has legs, ngl

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Colonel posted:

the important thing to note here is that the guy who posted the clip didn't even @ him. he didn't really call him out specifically at all. the opening joke was the worst part and he wasn't the one delivering it. he just assumed he's the one part of the video everyone's angry at. if he just agreed that xplay had some bits that aged badly nobody would have a reason to be mad at him
to be fair i think some rando games Twitter guy decided to stir the pot and @ him for an apology but you can just like, post something like "yeah that was hosed up" or, for the truly bold, ignore it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

sweet loving jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but remember: western games journalism has never been dismissive and weird about japanese games

every rock paper shotgun article about atelier pc ports, to this day, going 'its okay... if you can IGNORE THE ANIME' is absolutely not an evolution of this